• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Request that Developers Play

Myne

Oh Wise One
I propose that it be a requirement for at least some of the developers to play the game.

While they must have a theoretical understanding of the game, the reality of the game mechanics can only be fully understood by experiencing it. Their experiences can only enhance the game through development ideas. While they do have the players input, and they do take our suggestions into consideration, nothing beats hands on experiences. Elvenar has evolved to be a complex thinking and strategy game and it can only benefit it for the developers to participate in it with us.

I did not see this on the list of hard no replies. Please advise if this has been proposed previously.

DeletedUser29768

I really can't see this happening. You're asking the devs to make a rule to force themselves to play? I agree with you that they really should be playing their own game, and it could only have a positive effect on the game itself. However, they've already shown that they're not anxious to do that. They've made Elvenar into a hardcore game that's so frustrating they don't even want to play it themselves! Again, it's a good idea that I think they should consider, but I can't imagine them actually enforcing it.

Myne

Oh Wise One
How do they know how we feel about them not bothering to play unless we tell them through putting it on the table in front of them? Further, even if we can get only one dev to play, it would be an improvement.

DeletedUser29768

How do they know how we feel about them not bothering to play unless we tell them through putting it on the table in front of them? Further, even if we can get only one dev to play, it would be an improvement.
I agree, there's no harm in asking, and it could be that they're more willing to listen than I'm giving them credit for. However, I feel that making it a requirement for them to play their own game is likely to turn them off. I wasn't trying to express my own opposition to this idea (I would love for this to happen); just caution that there's a pretty low chance of it coming to fruition.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I agree, there's no harm in asking, and it could be that they're more willing to listen than I'm giving them credit for. However, I feel that making it a requirement for them to play their own game is likely to turn them off. I wasn't trying to express my own opposition to this idea (I would love for this to happen); just caution that there's a pretty low chance of it coming to fruition.

I am aware the chances may not be great, but again, how are they to know how we feel about it unless we tell them. It has been said they don't play, not that they absolutely refuse. Even if they created one city and collectively played, they would get insight. They do listen to us, or they would not implement the changes we request. I simply think we should use our voice.
Also, they get paid to create the game, it honestly should be a part of their job description, imho

DeletedUser29768

I have edited the title to reflect that we would be requesting not requiring. Better language I think.
Good idea. That was really the only thing I was concerned about. I think they'll react better to us simply asking, rather than telling them what the rules need to be.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
That’s the idea behind my suggestion on Halloween themed maps. It’s mostly satire and social commentary. I do not actually believe it will ever be forwarded (c’mon, forum!), let alone implemented. However, if Halloween stores DID pop up in all the inactive cities and Gold Mines, it would be shining a big spotlight on how ridiculously bad the current scripts are at removing all the dead cities on everyone’s maps. It can’t be ignored that half the neighborhood would be Halloween stores on everyone’s maps. The graphics I included is accurate in that’s how many would pop up in my neighborhood.

Iyapo1

If people repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

The devs do play the game and talk about their cities often in announcements and Q&As. The accusation that "the devs admitted that they don't even play the game" has been oft repeated but never backed up with a link. If you ask for evidence, the repeater of the claim vagues out on you with "some face book event" or "some video somewhere"....that they can not be bothered to find.

Kekune

@Iyapo1 thanks for that. I've been curious how much they play. Seems they must play some...but I wouldn't fault them for limiting it. I'd imagine that anybody who works full time on a project/game might prefer to do other things in their free time. I mean, half of any game's appeal is that it's NOT my day job, lol.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The devs do play the game and talk about their cities often in announcements and Q&As.
If a developer is in the fairy chapter after 4 years that hardly counts IMO.
I think when players complain that "the devs don't play" they mean at a serious level.

I'd love for a dev to correct me, but I'm still convinced that none of them have been in a top FA FS nor getting 15+ tournament chests, and I doubt even a Gold Spire FS. I'd be shocked if they had any end-game cities (that didn't use copious diamonds)

So yeah, the devs may each have a city but only representative of the uber-casual player. They are far more likely to have a pretty field of unicorns than a top 1,000 city.

Iyapo1

@SoggyShorts

If you dont have an end game high performing city you are not really playing. Got it. But I think you just raised the bar over your head, no?

Edit to add: Can you imagine the whine fest if players found out several devs have top 10 cities....They are not real players, they used code to rank up and steal top spots! Oh the horror!

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Iyapo1 thanks for that. I've been curious how much they play. Seems they must play some...but I wouldn't fault them for limiting it. I'd imagine that anybody who works full time on a project/game might prefer to do other things in their free time. I mean, half of any game's appeal is that it's NOT my day job, lol.
Yes, it's true. My friend worked in gaming and had to do terribly horrific things in the name of work, like read and watch manga. She refuses to bring work home with her so she does not play video games at home. She plays it enough to pass on to Quality Assurance Testers, and therein lies the gap. The developers build the game, but it's the QA tester's job to break it. The developers aren't the ones playing ad nauseum on repeat. If they did, they'd have to question introducing game elements that are torturous to accomplish on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis as they currently exist in the game.

In one of the Q&A's, the dude said he was in Woodelves, which is not that far in the game, but I guess he at least survived Orcs.

Stumpthumper

Hmmm....

I guess I'm not a SERIOUS player because my bigest live city in live world I stopped developing over a year ago midway thru elementals beause I got sick of chasing sentient goods. And my biggest ciry in Beta I stopped about 9 months ago after orcs because I set it up as an event city.

Of course I DO make five collections a day, play EVERY day, score 4200 weekly in live and 3050 weekly in beta, do helps EVERY single day, first boss in spire EVERY week. Both FSs get ten chests EVERY single week, we always get all 3 chests in FAs, AND BOTH FSs are actually casual with little rules.

I also have 4 other cities that I play EVERY day!!!

able99

I am sure there are secrets in the game that none of us are aware of, and only known to the developers.

I expect there are back doors or secret codes that when entered will give them diamonds, or perhaps a code that will advance the clock so there is no need to wait for anything to finish. I expect they can put their city into any chapter, set their AW levels at will, or produce any building at any level.
It is actually reasonable for them to have this capability so they can test new code without having to wait on the clock.
When they are playing, they will not experience the game the same way we do.

I cannot t point to anywhere to prove to you that this is true. I know there are back doors built into computer operating systems that would provide access to developers without the need to go thru any security password. Apple even has a way to get into locked phones but will not share that with anyone. Elvenar developers can navigate thru their code.

Requiring the developers to play Elvenar the way we do is not possible. They are aware of all the cheats.

BrinDarby

Step 1 : poll Devs as to how long each Chapter should take.
Step 2 : require devs to play 1 hr a day on both PC & Mobile. ( no cheating )
Step 3 : classify playtime as contract labor / independant contractors.
Step 4 : tie tiny raises, to thier current Chapter progress. ( 1 nickel/chapter )
Step 5 : Offer a dream vacation to 1st Dev to clear All chapters.

Then lets see how fast the game gets better for us all .... :D

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
If you dont have an end game high performing city you are not really playing. Got it.
You suck at paraphrasing me. :p I pointed out that they don't have top cities, but my point was that they are missing all kinds.

The devs (obviously?) should have cities at all levels, not just super casual early-mid chapter ones.

They could, of course, rely on player feedback from those who do have advanced cities, new cities, and everything in-between, but they don't do that either. So if they won't take feedback from those who have first-hand knowledge and won't get that knowledge themselves where does that leave us?
But I think you just raised the bar over your head, no?
As for myself, not being at the end game is indeed a choice I've made, but I'm not a developer. If I was I'd take at least one of my cities further and see how crappy the formula is first-hand and fix it. I'm confident enough in my (and others') math abilities that I don't need to experience it myself and ruin my city to prove it though.

Iyapo1

You suck at paraphrasing me. :p I pointed out that they don't have top cities, but my point was that they are missing all kinds.
Ha, I wasnt actually thinking entirely about you when I posted this because you are 100% right. From my memory the first time i heard someone say the "devs admit that they dont even play the game" was an end game player ranting about a dev only having a chapter ??(iirc 15 city, but maybe not)! So I read your post and was like ...yeah that's it!

Last edited: