• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Most people cater...

AtaguS

Seriously? "insert smirk"? What makes it ok to insult anybody who doesn't think your version of excel has to be their version of excel? First, I did not do homework in High School. I read the books, took the tests and stayed in the top 5%. I did a lot of College that way too. Definitely did not fail anything. Funny thing is that I feel like I helped pave the way for students like James on Jeopardy who did the same at the same High School later on. :p Second, tournament scores are not the only way to excel in this game! It is one aspect to excel in while others may prefer to excel in other aspects. That is one of the joys of this game! Players can be very 'successful' in whatever play style they choose.
Wow, I clearly upset you here so sincere apologies. I was making a comment solely about how I like to play and not trying to suggest everyone should like to play that way. Please note in my message that I refered to not wanting to let "my" tourney average tank...not, "our". For me, a good tourney average is important and at the same time, I only want to ever have to auto-fight to achieve that. Therefore I hope any changes to the fighting system in this game still allows for the auto-fight (or, opt-out of fighting option) to stay as is. These are my two cents, not a suggestion that any one else should like it this way.

lol lol, let's get straight about school. It's a saying, right? it has a general intent - I'm talking about the intent, not the merits of being a good student or not. A similar intent is when a parent says, "You don't have to clean your room, you always have the option of being grounded instead." It's a saying, not a commentary on teachers or students or parents or children.
For the record, I didn't do my homework either :p There are a billion different definitions of success and each one is right if it feels right to the one who uses it. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@AtaguS Yes I do have a bunch of pent up frustration with the forum. It isn't just what you said. The constant blanket statements that amount to giving the impression that there is only one "right way" is seriously frustrating. I've watched over the years and someone gets on the 'my way is the right way' long enough and so many on the forum follow along. I've seen very few players not on the forum who play the game the way it is touted as best on here. Then someone comes along who strongly disagrees and we have pages & pages of negative arguments.

School? Yeah well sore subject I guess. I have a son who was in all the Johns Hopkins gifted stuff. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I told teachers who were threatening him for not doing homework that if he was getting straight A's without turning in busy work homework then they had succeeded in doing their job since he learned the material. So, I guess that is a saying I really bristle at when I hear it ;)

Sprite1313

Most likely most people cater (all those 30-300 points people. but most provinces are fought (because those who fight do a ton more provinces)
Also even as a fighter I also cater a few battles because there not worth fighting. so that makes me both?

That way I count for both removing me from the equasion.
Ditto on the fight/cater combo. I might cater 5% of a tourney, so I wonder if Inno considers me a caterer?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Something to remember is that a ton of the player base is probably not even into the guest race chapters yet, and we all know there is that horrible spike in fight difficulty in chapters 3-5, that nothing seems to fix until you get past it. So Inno is skewing their own numbers with this problem. Someone in chapter 4 or 5, who has only done exactly how many provinces are needed for the next chapter, should have the same Easy or Very Easy world map fights that a player doing the same in chapter 10 or 15 gets, rather than the Hard and Very Hard they have to deal with instead.

Iyapo1

I am pretty sure @helya ment that the statement was true. Technically true = true

Perhaps not relevant because competitive tournament players mostly fight. Most players do not tournament competitively. Have fun getting that defined. It seems to be up around 10k ish sustainably.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Why is it being assumed that Inno does not have actual numbers of provinces catered vs provinces fought?

The Inno Support people can see every keystroke and mouse click you do in the game or they would not be able to fix some of the mistakes that players make. So I am sure their software has an exact count of how many encounters were fought and how many were catered, for world map, tournament, and Spire. And this "technically correct" bit is based on that. Not number of players, but number of encounters either fought or catered. One person catering 50 encounters is more than 4 people fighting 10 encounters each.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I have catered to the top of the spire, but it's easier to fight my way to the top if my fire is fed and I have a few 5-days out. Normally, I'll do about 1/2 cater/fight on the spire. If I'm only going to defeat Froggie and stop, then I often cater the whole way there.

On tourney, I fight the first few rounds and then cater the last provinces but I alternate weeks. One week gold spire and high tourney (7500 or more), the next week only to silver spire and 3-4K. But in either case, I usually cater part of it.

I do believe that "most" people cater. "Most" of the cities in my neighborhood are chapter 7 or less. Therefore, catering is much, much easier at that stage. Now, if you were to say that most late stage players catered, that would be different. I wouldn't believe it. But on the whole ... yeah, I do believe it.

Sprite1313

Something to remember is that a ton of the player base is probably not even into the guest race chapters yet, and we all know there is that horrible spike in fight difficulty in chapters 3-5, that nothing seems to fix until you get past it. So Inno is skewing their own numbers with this problem. Someone in chapter 4 or 5, who has only done exactly how many provinces are needed for the next chapter, should have the same Easy or Very Easy world map fights that a player doing the same in chapter 10 or 15 gets, rather than the Hard and Very Hard they have to deal with instead.
I really want to like this more than one time.

AtaguS

@AtaguS Yes I do have a bunch of pent up frustration with the forum. It isn't just what you said. The constant blanket statements that amount to giving the impression that there is only one "right way" is seriously frustrating. I've watched over the years and someone gets on the 'my way is the right way' long enough and so many on the forum follow along. I've seen very few players not on the forum who play the game the way it is touted as best on here. Then someone comes along who strongly disagrees and we have pages & pages of negative arguments.

School? Yeah well sore subject I guess. I have a son who was in all the Johns Hopkins gifted stuff. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I told teachers who were threatening him for not doing homework that if he was getting straight A's without turning in busy work homework then they had succeeded in doing their job since he learned the material. So, I guess that is a saying I really bristle at when I hear it ;)
I get the frustration for sure. That said if you go back and read everything I've posted here over the years you will see that I am a strong advocate for everybody playing the game the way they want to play the game.

We are in agreement about the school thing too. I used that phrase from teachers precisely because it does bristle. My whole point was that it is a stupid statement.
In short, let's make peace, we're actually saying the same things.
And back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Based on actual numbers of encounters completed in the World Map, Spire and Tournament, many more are completed by catering.

Most, but definitely not all, competitive Tournament players fight or do a hybrid fight/cater combo.

The number of competitive Tournament players is dwarfed by the number of casual Tournament players. A lot of people choose Elvenar because they have no interest in fighting.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I have even met a player that refuses to fight whatsoever and makes gold run and 2,000+ tourney every week.
Does this player’s name rhyme with “El Guapo”?
I fairly believe that extrovert ppl, which are by default more social and thus the majority of forum residents, tend to fight more.
While we are using "technically" as the word of the day, technically introversion/extroversion describes the energetic nature of a person and is not about being social. Introverts need solitude to “recharge” and being in company of others drain their energy while extroverts are the opposite. Extroverts are energized being around other people. For most introverts then, it's generally easier to just avoid people to feel "better" (not drained). Therefore, introversion tends to become synonymous with anti-social behavior instead of someone's energetic makeup. For example, contrary to popular belief and very confusing to most, I am an introvert! I can be both the life of the party and introverted because I'm not anti-social and will talk to just about anyone, but I'll also secretly wish the event was cancelled so I don't have to spend the next week recovering in my Hermit Castle with a DND sign posted on my raised drawbridge. Although, in the past 2 yrs, I prefer to be a "professional quarantiner" at work.

And I also fight more in an elf game.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Based on actual numbers of encounters completed in the World Map, Spire and Tournament, many more are completed by catering.
This is interesting because I would consider myself a fighter, mainly because I fight a hefty amount of tournament weekly. Yet, I just realized I predominantly cater the World Map unless there are specific "Fight and Win x Encounter" quests. Most of it is out of habit as I, like a lot of people starting out it seems, fell into the pit of surrounding myself with only "Very Hard" provinces with no way to fight my way out early on. Since I made plenty of goods, even "Very Hard" encounters felt like pennies to cater anyway. Then I learned to just not bother with my map provinces anymore until the Bossy Event Lady tells me to, so even though my provinces are now all "Very Easy", I still find myself clicking the Cater button.

The number of competitive Tournament players is dwarfed by the number of casual Tournament players. A lot of people choose Elvenar because they have no interest in fighting.
For a second, I felt optimistic like Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber that we can experiment in swaying numbers as a group side project of sorts, but "dwarfed" sounds like a math term for insurmountable. Poops. I respect you casual players, but you guys sometimes make things too uneventful!
1307047506-one-in-a-million-dumb-dummer.jpg

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
View attachment 11692

Considering some ppl come to games like this for simplistic diversions... maybe?

I find fighting so much more effective, resource wise, then negotiating. Especially in the spire!!
And if you get a fight you cant win, you can then negotiate.

I think the difference is, ppl make goods naturally, so negotiating is more simple and doesnt require much extra. Where as fighting requires you to build and strengthen your military to be more effective. But once you do... its a lot better imo.

Iyapo1

I cater exclusively gold spire every week and I spend way more goods in the tournament than I do in the spire. If I did not spend diamonds the spire would hit my inventory a bit harder and I would have to tournament less. If I ever hybridize my city and start fighting, I will go after the tournaments with troops first. Then I could save spire diamonds too and still play the spire mini game!

Last edited: