• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Temporary Substitute Player

defiantoneks

if i take away the worry about what "might" happen to my city and why i personally would not want someone else to have access, i go to this:

It's not really in the spirit of the game. the point of a FS is to have 25 individual active cities. Even the people who make second accounts and join the same FS (so they are "two" members of the FS but with individual cities) are still playing and active.

If you cant play, dont. i do understand that unfortunate stuff happens, but that's between you and the rest of your FS. if they're people you like and who like you, they will be understanding and hold your spot if you let them know you plan to return. if you aren't on good enough terms with your FS for them to wait, then you find a new FS when you come back.

that's my take on it.

Legilost

Because some people seemed to like the idea, here it is as a suggestion.

People are sometimes just away for a short period of time. (This is related to the "Away" suggestion, I might add, here), and while away some things can't be done...like collection, resetting production and all that. Instead of them losing the time it would be nice if they could name a substitute for that short period of time. The substitute could be limited to a few days 1-14 and automatically end. He/she could not spend diamonds, but could collect and reset things, including FA's, Tournaments, Spires and everything else. In other words, they could be the player for a limited time, except for spending diamonds, joining or quitting fellowships, changing ranks of fellow fs members, and perhaps editing the fellowship description if the original player was the AM.

Possible way to do this: Put a name box, either from:to date boxes, or a duration box. and a password box, in the settings. The player fills this out and sends the details of the substitution via the mail (a button on the form for automatically sending it all at once) to the designated substitute. He/she does not send any account info, just the temporary things. OR, a notice comes up with an "agree" button in the notices when the substitute player accepts the role. Then the substitute logs into the account with the temporary password and can do so until either the time expires or the original player signs in with his/her account. Substitutions would be limited per year to 30 days (or some other amount of time) total, and/or so much time between each period to keep from "chaining" substitutions so that the substitute becomes, in effect, the owner of the account.

Pros:
1) Keeps the account active while the player is on vacation or whatever. Reduces the pressure to log in when on a trip or whatever, meaning the game is less stressful.
2) Allows players to be away but keeps (the substitutes) "eyeballs" on the screen more.
3) Solves the decay problem mentioned in the "away" idea request.
4) Allows for players to experience another players' city more fully and thus learn things.

Cons:
1) Time to program. Not an easy task because it means expanding the current log in code.
2) If the player is on several worlds and has different substitutes (which is likely) could they log in at the same time?
3) Might reduce the stress of the away player, but that would also mean he/she was not playing.

Discussion:

This idea, in my opinion, has merit even if it's unlikely to be implemented. The reason is the coding is not trivial, in my opinion, AND I'm not sure Inno is willing to make our presence more flexible as that means we will feel more at ease being gone since we have a substitute to keep our city going. On the other hand, a game of less stress may result in more players hanging around since they won't see their city lose resources because they are away and can come back to them with a reasonable chance that they actually grew while they were away.

What do you think? Any suggestions to improve this?

AJ
I would say that there could be an auto button instead that allows you to set you're productions once and repeats for a set amount of days per month.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I would say that there could be an auto button instead that allows you to set you're productions once and repeats for a set amount of days per month.
I can see this would be useful to the player and might help retain some players, but one of the things you get when you don't have and "away" or "collect for me" option is what Inno wants, eyeballs on the page. By having a human take over the account they get that.

Still, from the players perspective a limited "away" button with automatic collection and reset options would solve the complaints about decay and probably encourage some players to stay. But it also might encourage other players, like myself, to be less diligent when on vacation and worry less about checking in...again, less "eyeballs on the page."

AJ

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Well aren't you being generous.
I agree with @Alram.

Actually, this was meant to be clear that I didn't think anybody thinking other than I thought was being unreasonable. I've often found that people who disagree with you tend to take your disagreement personally, as an insult, so I sometimes make it clear that that is not the case.

AJ

Last edited: