• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Catch 22 Upgrading Dwarf Portal

gw1500se

I have a problem upgrading my dwarf portal. To make room I have to remove a walkway. Once upgraded the remaining walkway will be connected. However, once I do that, for some reason I am unable to click on the portal to upgrade it. If I move the portal to the walkway then it is no longer connected to the dwarf path and I have the same problem. How the heck do I expand it given my space restrictions? Nothing else seem to be restricted that way. TIA.

Zoof

I have a problem upgrading my dwarf portal. To make room I have to remove a walkway. Once upgraded the remaining walkway will be connected. However, once I do that, for some reason I am unable to click on the portal to upgrade it. If I move the portal to the walkway then it is no longer connected to the dwarf path and I have the same problem. How the heck do I expand it given my space restrictions? Nothing else seem to be restricted that way. TIA.
Looking at your city through ElvenStats -> ElvenArchitect, yeesh. That city needs renovations ASAP. Totally chaotic. You could free up more room that way. I've half a mind to try that for you.

Anyhoo. To actually answer your question, your Dwarven Portal doesn't actually need to be connected to any of its settlement buildings before you can upgrade it. It simply needs to be connected to the main hall. The solution is to remove the single road tile above, move the portal to connect to the roads, then upgrade the portal. The increased size will then reconnect it to the portal tracks. If you move that copper foundry out of the way first, that is.

EDIT: I don't see a Magic Academy in your city. That's one of the most important buildings out there. It allows you to craft highly efficient culture items, among other things. Check out my city on ElvenArchitect as a possibility, though it might not be exactly comparable since I've set mine up as a purely catering city. That is, no military whatsoever.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yep, chaotic. I prefer to think of it as a normal city rather than a planned one. And like a normal city things have sort of grown organically. It makes for a more realistic city, but in this game that's one place you don't want reality to rear it's ugly head! So here are some things upon which to work.

1) Keep it square. Ideally your city should have for sides and four sides only. Four segments that connect at four corners. But of course, you will get some expansions. Great. But that means you should have no more than six sections. Each edge is a straight line until there is a turn. So, starting at one corner you go along the edge until it turns. That's 1. You follow the edge until it turns again. That's two. Continue until you get back to your starting point. If the count is greater than six, you have some wasted space, or at least space that will be harder to use. You have 13. Ouch.

2) Like buildings should be almost the same size and the same size if possible. You have 15 workshops, half at lvl 15, the others at lvl 10. They are, therefore, vastly different in shape and size. By having them all at some level you make it much easier to organize.

3) Like buildings should be gathered together as much as possible. If your workshops were all the same size you could gather than along one edge and consolidate some space....consolidated space is your friend.

4) Roads should not be along the edges of your city, or rarely so and only for a very short distance. You have a long road next to some residences. Put that road between the two rows of residences by moving the residences over one square. Now you can organize the next row of residences with some other set of buildings next to them without a road between. In the long run you'll find you'll use a lot less roads. And that's space.

5) Roads should be next to each building on one side only....the shortest side. So if you have a 3x5 building there should be no more than 3 roads touching it (except where roads intersect each other). The fewer roads you have touching you buildings the fewer roads you need. And even more space.

6) Keep you roads as high as you can. Why? Because the higher they are the more culture they provide. And that means....fewer culture only buildings and yes, more space! (is there a theme here?)

There are other things, of course, but those are the one's I see now.

And, here is your city with some of these thing implimented. You get over 3 more expansions of room you can use (consolidated).

Have fun.

AJ

gw1500se

Thanks for the replies. Yes I don't like the way my city is set up but I am always struggling with space. I know I have a lot of wasted space at this point but I have not yet figured out a good way to consolidate it. As for different size buildings, again I can't upgrade until I am able to get sufficient space to move stuff around. Since I never buy diamonds, I have to expand using research and provinces.

shimmerfly

@gw1500se
Space is one thing we all need more of no matter what level you are in the game. I would take some time out and "play" with your city if possible.
I usually rearrange my city between chapters and upgrade as I do this. It always seems to be in a mess again before long. Kind of like house cleaning...neverending. Unlike house cleaning, I enjoy this part of the game.
Have fun with it!

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
What shimmer said. In between chapters and after the FA (because I've teleported or killed stuff and have the room). Thats when I tend to rearrange. And as shimmer pointed out, it just gets unorganized as I try to fit in what I need.

Maeryn

I played with your city in elven architect, the first thing I did was delete all culture that was acquired from doing research that's chapter 3 and below. You have alot from chapter 1 and 2. Secondly, I added a magic academy you can grab from higher culture buildings that are 2x2 and smaller to place in small empty places. Thirdly, you can place new streets over old and you should do so to increase your culture.

Kadhrin

For a short-term fix: remove the road section, then move the portal so it's touching the road. Then add extra portal track segments to connect to the portal.

A good thing about your current city layout: You have only one street segment touching the city hall on three of its sides. That's great!

Things to consider, as you remodel:
- Culture and culture/population buildings don't require streets.
- In Elven Architect, there's a Setting for highlighting. Picking "Requires a street" is really useful.
- Avoid putting streets along the edge of the map. Instead, put one row of buildings there, and then put streets there. Or put a row of culture and culture/population buildings on the edge, then a row of buildings that require streets, then the streets.