• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City movement

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I think what would help is that new cities are put next to really active cities in those empty spaces. Those of us who visit everyone at least once weekly (I try for three in my Khel city because that is my biggest most advanced city) would help with the growing pains of new players. They could designate volunteers to be like helper cities. I know when I started, that would have helped me a great deal. It took a few years before I was in a neighborhood with really great people who were wonderful trading partners and AW contributors. Then, of course, they all got moved away except for one, but we are still AW partners. People give up on games because they don't spark interest right away or they can't seem to get ahead.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Is it hard to clip a coupon from the circulars or tap a button to clip a digital coupon? No, but do I really need to save 20₵ on that box of cereal? Am I going to feel like I am missing out if I let those 20₵ go or will it not make any difference in my mental state or my bank account if I skip the coupon experience at checkout? I don’t need to spend my time clipping 100 coupons if I can afford to buy that box of cereal any time I want.

I hear flappy things are more dangerous at checkouts though.

Only when they cease to flap

Myne

Oh Wise One
I don't know why the screenshots were removed. The pictures showed the blanks in my neighbor list and the increase in pages at different times of the day yesterday and it is also happening again today. I wonder if the tool is malfunctioning considering support's explanation of how city movement works.
Screenshots were likely removed because they had identifying names and such in them. A no-no.

Myne

Oh Wise One
IMHO, I think the devs DO look on here. Maybe not regularly or with intent, but I have noticed that a few things we have spoken about in the forums have made it into the bug fixes and improvements. Doesn't happen with any kind of regularity, but it does happen. Let's face it, when you work at a computer you can get bored. Who's to say they don't flit in and out like pixies?

StarLoad

I don't know why the screenshots were removed. The pictures showed the blanks in my neighbor list and the increase in pages at different times of the day yesterday and it is also happening again today. I wonder if the tool is malfunctioning considering support's explanation of how city movement works.
Well to explain the changes daily is easy, IF you get a new player or newly started city it has to go somewhere so likely when a new one pops up its a brand new city, and in a better location. This also may cause highly developed cities from moving into an empty space that gets filled up.

Ed

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
IMHO, I think the devs DO look on here. Maybe not regularly or with intent, but I have noticed that a few things we have spoken about in the forums have made it into the bug fixes and improvements. Doesn't happen with any kind of regularity, but it does happen. Let's face it, when you work at a computer you can get bored. Who's to say they don't flit in and out like pixies?
That's why they have volunteer forum moderators and Community Managers. They don't need to pay attention, they get reports of things which are causing significant angst.

defiantoneks

supernova! (imagine that! having real neighbors does help!)

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.15.37 PM.png

Elf Emma

I rarely post here but I have the same problem with tons of inactive cities and blank (coin) spaces in both worlds that I play. I haven't noticed any city movement, just more and more blank spaces.

I wish map location/city movement was based on game play time, regardless of level, lol! At least then I would have neighbors that play as often or as little as I do

Valtitude

assuming the "world" is an infinite and ever expanding rectangle…
you could create multiple centers that are "x" spaces from the next center. as needed, make "x" space +1 to create additional openings in the world for new players. so the "edges" will fall between centers and not all at the very "ends". then everyone has a small amount of edge space, and on occasion that may increase to a few more openings for the new players, but they eventually fill in. as people drop off, new spaces wont be needed since those vacancies become available rather than needing a new one created.
Someone likely replied to this already.
The Elvenar world is a hexagonal shape. As many of us have noted, Marble is the starting point, traveling around the hexagon to the right. The Universe is right-handed, after all.
A software architect avatar Azarra, who played Elvenar when the game was new, taught me about the structure. Had me figure out where I was located on the server, without the calculations I've seen recently.
Center of Winyandor at that time was either Monster Under the Stairs or Moloch. I was six rings from those players.
Who is center of Wyn now? Aren? Other US servers? I care even if other players don't.

defiantoneks

i could throw this idea out:
rather than waiting for a spot to be opened to move someone who is lucky enough to be selected, just move EVERYONE. set the system to exchange player positions every X time period. then no one would have a static good or bad position. plus it would encourage people to do more neighborly visits, b/c they'd be meeting new neighbors regularly.

Valtitude

I have no direct insight on how much time or resources a recurring shift such as the one you're describing might take, but would guess it's pretty massive - especially when considering all Elvenar servers would be involved each time.
Certain there will be opinions and information.