• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cultural bonus

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Think of it this way. Culture makes your populace happy. Happy workers are faster and more efficient, so that you get more in 'taxes', from your houses and workshops. You have 2 levels of culture above what is needed to keep them happy.
Well done :)

Zoof

You can get more details about your culture bonus if you hover or tap on the culture icon near your city's name in the top bar, while still in your city view. One detail that the mobile app won't give you in that panel as opposed to the PC/browser version, however, is how much culture you need to retain your current level.

1669669501434.png

Your base level is what is displayed in the top bar. This number is what's important when you're upgrading stuff in your city. Additional culture due to your neighbors doing neighborly help on your culture buildings factors into your bonuses.

Those percent figures below each level? Those are the multipliers towards gold production from residences* and supplies production from your workshops*. Happier people produce more, ya know. It's most unfortunate that it does NOT affect goods production. When I first noticed this, I found it a wee bit odd, but I suppose it makes sense; you can't produce more goods from the same number of input ingredients no matter how happy your populace is. Just where the gold and supplies are coming from, though, is a question I'm going to remain willfully ignorant of for now.

You can increase those percentage figures, though, by casting the Ensorcelled Endowment enchantment on applicable culture buildings in your city, then wait for them to be polished by your neighbor. In the example below, I cast exactly one spell on one building that has already been helped.

1669669985514.png

But exactly how much is your culture helping you from a practical view? That can be checked when you hover over the appropriate icons in the buildings that are affected by them.

1669670063245.png
1669670084015.png

* There are other buildings out there that produce supplies or gold. Many of them will also be affected by the culture bonus. I happen to have an example of one such building. It's in another city, being affected by a different culture bonus. See:

1669670184483.png

Pheryll

Set Designer
Read Zoof's comment above. It's also explained here.

I'm surprised you're in Ch 20 but don't know about Culture Level 3?
On Beta (I do not know if it made live, because I got past it without a problem) there were issues documented that certain wonders (including martial monastery (sanctuary) and the watchtower ruins) were not registering their culture impact by the quest in determining culture level.

Ariel Greensleeves

What the game wiki won't tell you is how that culture bonus is actually calculated:
for level 1 (125% bonus), you need available culture = 20% (required culture + working pop)
for level 2 (150% bonus), " = 40% "
for level 3 (160% bonus), = 60%
for level 4 (170% bonus), = 80%

It is not obvious when playing the PC version that the bonus comes in levels (its not a sliding scale), nor that the maximum bonus you can get this way is 170%. I repeat, you will not get any higher bonus unless you use Ensorcelled Endowment spells. EE spells raise the bonus by 5% each if you have at least a level 1 bonus, and they only work while the spelled building is being helped by a neighbor. Always cast spells on buildings with the biggest total culture (not highest/square) bc those are the ones your neighbors are directed to help most frequently.

Genefer

I never enchant a building until it is polished - look for the hand - otherwise you waste potential hours of the effective duration of the enchantment. To increase the benefit of the Ensorcelled Endowment, build the Bell Spire or Crystal Lighthouse to increase the duration of the polish - or helping hand - the longer the polish the greater the benefit of the enchantment - less down time.

elvenbee

What the game wiki won't tell you is how that culture bonus is actually calculated:
for level 1 (125% bonus), you need available culture = 20% (required culture + working pop)
for level 2 (150% bonus), " = 40% "
for level 3 (160% bonus), = 60%
for level 4 (170% bonus), = 80%

It is not obvious when playing the PC version that the bonus comes in levels (its not a sliding scale), nor that the maximum bonus you can get this way is 170%. I repeat, you will not get any higher bonus unless you use Ensorcelled Endowment spells. EE spells raise the bonus by 5% each if you have at least a level 1 bonus, and they only work while the spelled building is being helped by a neighbor. Always cast spells on buildings with the biggest total culture (not highest/square) bc those are the ones your neighbors are directed to help most frequently.
Great info, that is super helpful!!

My point was, they're in Chapter 20 (the LAST chapter that was recently released), but they don't know about the Culture Levels in general? According to elvenstats, they've been playing since sometime in 2017 and are in Chapter 20. It's an odd question for someone who has been playing for that long. It's phrased like a beginner, not someone who has been playing for 5-6 years.

On Beta (I do not know if it made live, because I got past it without a problem) there were issues documented that certain wonders (including martial monastery (sanctuary) and the watchtower ruins) were not registering their culture impact by the quest in determining culture level.

I only use the Martial Monastery/Sanctuary, not the WTR, but I haven't noticed any issues with my culture levels. Hopefully it didn't make it to live.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Great info, that is super helpful!!

My point was, they're in Chapter 20 (the LAST chapter that was recently released), but they don't know about the Culture Levels in general? According to elvenstats, they've been playing since sometime in 2017 and are in Chapter 20. It's an odd question for someone who has been playing for that long. It's phrased like a beginner, not someone who has been playing for 5-6 years.

I only use the Martial Monastery/Sanctuary, not the WTR, but I haven't noticed any issues with my culture levels. Hopefully it didn't make it to live.
Yeah sadly, sometimes family members, roommates, life partners or even fellows 'inherit' a developed account, without any idea of how to play the higher levels.

I also knew a player who got an in-game friend to play his city for weeks at a stretch. She kept his chapter development the same as hers, but the account holder had no idea how the city arrived at certain stages.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member

Yeah sadly, sometimes family members, roommates, life partners or even fellows 'inherit' a developed account, without any idea of how to play the higher levels.

I also knew a player who got an in-game friend to play his city for weeks at a stretch. She kept his chapter development the same as hers, but the account holder had no idea how the city arrived at certain stages.
Um, have you considered that this player maybe knows perfectly well what culture is and how it helps their city. And if you ask them what their culture bonus is then they can answer that. But culture level - how many are using the word level in relation to culture? I wouldn't be surprised if many experienced players don't know what culture level is.

Zoof

Um, have you considered that this player maybe knows perfectly well what culture is and how it helps their city. And if you ask them what their culture bonus is then they can answer that. But culture level - how many are using the word level in relation to culture? I wouldn't be surprised if many experienced players don't know what culture level is.
I like this explanation much better. There's really no indication in the game's interface that culture levels are even referred to as levels (aside from the quests that I never received because I'm still a noob relatively speaking)

Not to mention that there's nothing in the game which indicates which culture "level" corresponds to what. Does level 1 start at the base? Does it only start once it starts benefiting the user (125%)? This is the classic ambiguity between 0-index and 1-index notations, except there's no notation at all.

So confusing. Very ambiguous. Much wonder. Wow.

EDIT: When I tried to answer this question, it was initially with a headtilt so strong that my tophat nearly fell off. It would've been a sad time if the utter emptiness beneath it were exposed to the world, but crisis averted! I... ah. Still don't know which "level" corresponds to what, though. I have no real way to test it, especially since there's still no indication as to which level is what. If the quest completes from the copious addition of many high-powered culture items that you can craft from the Magic Academy, I'd like to know how bright the sun is shining in the culture box when it does.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I wouldn't be surprised if many experienced players don't know what culture level is.
Personally, I had no idea there even were culture levels. Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to culture for years. Got my cities maxed to the 170% without any polishes and kept it there. When I think about it, or need to use some culture spells for a quest, I just pop them on bldgs with existing polishes. If those are already sparkling and I need to use more, I just stack them on my highest culture bldgs. After an FA where I needed tiaras, I've seen some of my highest culture with over a month before the spell will expire, lol!

elvenbee

That is surprising to me, especially when all the veteran players in the forum so far have been very knowledgeable on other topics. On the browser platform, it says "Bonus level" and under More Bonus it says, "Needed for next level", so for me, I looked into very quickly. Thanks for a different POV :)

Not to mention that there's nothing in the game which indicates which culture "level" corresponds to what. Does level 1 start at the base? Does it only start once it starts benefiting the user (125%)? This is the classic ambiguity between 0-index and 1-index notations, except there's no notation at all.
My interpretation from the wiki's explanation of levels is Level 1 = 125%, Level 2 = 150%, Level 3 = 160%, and Level 4 = 170%. Don't know if that helps at all :)

elvenbee

No, there are 5 levels. Level 1 is 100%. And the quest that asks for level 3 is 150%.
From the Wiki directly -

• Level 1 will increase your production rate from the standard 100 % to 125 %. You should definitely try to get this.
  • Level 2 will increase it from 125 % to 150 % and it will worth your while to reach this Bonus level on your own.
  • Level 3 will increase it from 150 % to 160 %, this Bonus level is intended to be reachable through Neighborly Help.
  • Level 4 will increase it from 160 % to 170 %, only a steady flow of Neighborly Help will ensure you can get this Bonus without having to occupy too much space with Cultural Buildings.

So, is your statement off a quest you did? Because then they need to edit the Wiki to include the 5th level.

Pheryll

Set Designer
It would be nice if they actually numbered the level in game, so one would know whether the range was 0-4 or 1-5. That said, getting to the 25% (level 1) is what is needed to allow EE spells to be able to add on.

elvenbee

It would be nice if they actually numbered the level in game, so one would know whether the range was 0-4 or 1-5. That said, getting to the 25% (level 1) is what is needed to allow EE spells to be able to add on.
Based on what the provided in the Wiki, I'm going to say it's 0-4 and 0 is 100%, since they don't mentioned a level 5 in the Wiki at all.

@Astram is there any way we could get them to confirm this?