• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Discussion The Cauldron - Discussion Thread

defiantoneks

i havent seen it or anything, and it already sounds/feels like a bad form of gambling. and i have to scroll back 14 chapters to find it? and pay diamonds to make stuff? ugh. i can try to reserve judgment, but so far thinking about it makes me disappointed. somehow i know these guessed-at potions will likely be short term & small benefit items.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
This is an accurate statement.

Ed
Except gambling costs you something. This doesn’t cost anything except the Witch Points which are freely given and can’t be used anywhere else. It’s more like getting a coupon for a free junior frosty at Wendy’s: they’re banking on you not being able to resist buying something else when you go in, but if you have the willpower, you can use that coupon, take your frosty, and go, without spending a penny.

StarLoad

Except gambling costs you something. This doesn’t cost anything except the Witch Points which are freely given and can’t be used anywhere else. It’s more like getting a coupon for a free junior frosty at Wendy’s: they’re banking on you not being able to resist buying something else when you go in, but if you have the willpower, you can use that coupon, take your frosty, and go, without spending a penny.
As I understand the process you will need to "pay" in order to increase the power or chance that the potion will work but there is no certainty that it will work.
Your coupon example requires Wendy's to give you for free, the Cauldron does not guarantee the potion will work

Ed

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The Cauldron only gives you witch points and recipes for each chapter that has ALL the researches completed. You skip even one research in a chapter and you get nothing for that chapter. My chapter 18 Beta city has fully completed the research in 15 of the first 17 chapters and I do not have enough weekly witch points to get a 100% chance of success without spending diamonds.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
It’s more like getting a coupon for a free junior frosty at Wendy’s: they’re banking on you not being able to resist buying something else when you go in, but if you have the willpower, you can use that coupon, take your frosty, and go, without spending a penny.
Finally. Someone explaining it in a way I can understand without having a beta account!

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
As I understand the process you will need to "pay" in order to increase the power or chance that the potion will work but there is no certainty that it will work.
Your coupon example requires Wendy's to give you for free, the Cauldron does not guarantee the potion will work

Ed
Okay, so your coupon may or may not be expired, but you can’t tell because the date has gotten smudged. You’ll have to hope you get a nice cashier who lets you use it anyway, and they may be more likely to let you use it if you also buy a burger. The metaphor gets more complex, but I think it still holds. ;)

mikeledo

From the comments in the Beta Forum. I believe I will pass as the costs are great and increasing and the reward is small and limited. At some point, the upgrades will quickly lead to having to use more coins than you can store. I would prefer to be a hoarder.

Rp44

Even if you do research it, it's very easy to completely ignore it if you want to. It's simply another tab in the MA, there's no pop-ups or anything. There are a couple of notifications each week, but I don't look at those anyway so I forget it exists sometimes.

Also note that you don't have to invest anything extra at all in it. I hardly ever use my exact witch points for the potion so I have at least a few left over to put towards an upgrade in the studying phase. Any goods donations for extra witch points in the studying phase are completely optional. Even upgraded the potions are not very powerful, and that's assuming you get the maximum possible rather than some lower % and duration.

I don't think it's terrible like some, but definitely keep your expectations low. It's just a fun little extra something to do, not a game changer. IMHO, YMMV. :)

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Any idea how long potions last once you drink them? Is it a set duration or does it vary from potion to potion?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Any idea how long potions last once you drink them? Is it a set duration or does it vary from potion to potion?

You brew one potion and can have up to 5 goblets to drink from it. The ingredients you use determine the possible boosts you could receive with each goblet. The length of time a boost lasts seems to be between 3 and 12 hours.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
What happens if you don’t bother to research the tech? Will the Caldron even show up and would leaving the tech in-researched cause any issues?
It is currently an optional tech, so no issue ignoring it if you want to. However like a lot of techs added earlier in the tree they have to add them as optional and after a bit might make them compulsory, due to the nature of this feature I expect it will become compulsory. It has been too long ago since they added techs so I can't recall if you will have an issue IF they make it compulsory and haven't researched it already. Worst case you will be forced to research it at a future point in time.

The whole thing is designed as a sink for those people with crazy hordes of various resources, like 100+million scrolls or 1mil+ spell fragments etc. You don't need those crazy amounts to get even simple benefit from it but those with the stashes can now spend them on something. The exponential cost increase keeps those people from getting too powerful a bonus from newer players without the huge inventory.

1673045146193.png

Last edited: