• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Has Inno finally lost the plot?

Deleted User - 849777001

On the live worlds this week (US servers) it appears that only Arendyll is the correct tournament type, crystal. The others have all reverted to planks. Bug reported.
Although this is sort of off topic ... not really, because it's perfectly on topic with the title of this thread ... Am I mistaken, or have the ghost and marble badges gotten harder in the upcoming FA? According to Idavis, the ghost badges will need 4 encounters in spire/tourney and the marbles will require 8 relics. My memory isn't what it used to be, but that seems harder to me.
Looks like it to me...

hvariidh gwendrot

not thrilled with the pop up advertisements to clean up (probably) coming to live servers, i turned off the music about 4 years ago lol, i am curious to see how they are going to sync back up the tournament and spire cycles, make arendyll skip or repeat a week,? or make the rest of the worlds hop over crystal ? they did mix up the relics to win vs of just 1 type per week so not as bad as it could have been but how is it possible to have 1 correct and 7 wrong ? that is an impressive screw up

Agvar

Inno have extended the Spire in Beta to make up for it starting late, but instead of by the lost 2 days, just one hour! That's taking the michael...

Deleted User - 849777001

Ads are just another revenue stream...
To be quickly followed by the "option to pay" for "no ads".
UGH!
I was hoping it would never darken the shores of "Isla Neva" or the gates of "EiLeNiche"

Yogi Dave

So many of the problems lately seem so much like rookie mistakes. They aren't really in the code; they are more in forgetting to set things up or only doing some of the setup or not following procedures that haven't been updated in a while, etc. These are the type things which occur when you hire new people, but don't train them, or when people are overworked or had new tasks added to their plate that they haven't done before (and no training). It seems like the staff is back in a learning curve without a net.

Inno laid off almost a fifth of their staff the middle of April because "we need to transform the company to make it more efficient and agile". Maybe in the future they will become more efficient and agile, but it's not a great way to keep things running smoothly-ish in the short run for their current user base. ...and that's just sad. I hope I'm wrong and we get wine and roses next week.

Tehya1

Another glitch ... I have never, ever, ever, ever produced inspiring meditations in the MA. I have always believed they were a waste of resources for anyone who is on as often as I have always been. The only way I get them is when I'm stuck with them in events, and then I turn them into spell frags.
I quit using them sometime before the first guest race when 10 extra kp slots was woefully inadequate. lol Now I frag those and my kp climbs into the thousands when I get stuck in the tech tree.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I quit using them sometime before the first guest race when 10 extra kp slots was woefully inadequate. lol Now I frag those and my kp climbs into the thousands when I get stuck in the tech tree.

I am at the end of chapter 20, so no research to do at all, and I still spend all my KP every day, and run IMs non-stop, because I will always have Wonders to level up, whether my own or a neighbor's/fellowship member's. Oh, and I also buy 10-20 KP every day because of all my excess coins.

Deleted User - 849411552

So many of the problems lately seem so much like rookie mistakes. They aren't really in the code; they are more in forgetting to set things up or only doing some of the setup or not following procedures that haven't been updated in a while, etc. These are the type things which occur when you hire new people, but don't train them, or when people are overworked or had new tasks added to their plate that they haven't done before (and no training). It seems like the staff is back in a learning curve without a net.

Inno laid off almost a fifth of their staff the middle of April because "we need to transform the company to make it more efficient and agile". Maybe in the future they will become more efficient and agile, but it's not a great way to keep things running smoothly-ish in the short run for their current user base. ...and that's just sad. I hope I'm wrong and we get wine and roses next week.
What you say makes complete sense to me, Dave. I was not aware of the layoffs, but it was easy to find in Google. It appears that they are taking some care to look after the "surplus" employees.

Having been through "down-sizing" several times in my career, it is a painful and very disruptive process, no matter how well you look after the "dear departed". I would hope there are specific and innovative plans to be more "efficient and agile". These sort of words are very typical codes for saying that we are less profitable and we need to reduce costs.

Unless your organization was very inefficient to begin with (highly unlikely in the case of Inno, judging by the quality of their products to this point), organizational adjustments are likely not going to increase productivity significantly. And the cost of implementing the adjustments often outweighs the eventual returns.

In the organization I was in, they went from saying they would do "more with less" to admitting that would have to do "less with less". That actually improved survivor morale substantially.

Technological improvements such as a more efficient authoring environment are seldom worth the cost of retrofitting to an old product - but they may make more sense for incorporation into brand new products.

Realistically, they could reduce scope (perhaps drop less profitable games or put them in maintenance mode), slow down product development, simplify products by eliminating less popular features, increase profitability by making the games more expensive (this may have the opposite effect through reduced player participation) and/or - dare I say - accept lower quality standards.

Yogi Dave

I am at the end of chapter 20, so no research to do at all, and I still spend all my KP every day, and run IMs non-stop, because I will always have Wonders to level up, whether my own or a neighbor's/fellowship member's. Oh, and I also buy 10-20 KP every day because of all my excess coins.
Ditto.

I've been keeping the IM running for a few years now, but never produce them in the MA. Just CCs there. Since all my AWs are at the level I want them, I spend my kp on other people's AWs to be.

PS: Glad to see someone who buys kp with excess coins. A kp now costs 8813k, but it feels better than spending it in the trader. For a while I was putting it in the cauldron, but I can't anymore since it cost 202 million and my MH only holds 200 million.

Tehya1

I should use them on the wonders.

Yogi Dave

I wonder if the cutbacks at Inno will affect the release of chapter 21. Chapter 20 was released in live September 1, '22. That's 9 months ago and it hasn't even hit beta yet. I think that may be the longest time between chapters.

Maybe the release of the 1st chapter needing sentient goods was longer because they wanted enough people ready to jump into it so there would be a decent mix of the different good types. As it was, each world had its own bottleneck of one good or another. But think of how it would have been with only a dozen or 2 people in a world ready for that chapter.

Agvar

I wonder if the cutbacks at Inno will affect the release of chapter 21. Chapter 20 was released in live September 1, '22. That's 9 months ago and it hasn't even hit beta yet. I think that may be the longest time between chapters.

Maybe the release of the 1st chapter needing sentient goods was longer because they wanted enough people ready to jump into it so there would be a decent mix of the different good types. As it was, each world had its own bottleneck of one good or another. But think of how it would have been with only a dozen or 2 people in a world ready for that chapter.
One of the problems with bottlenecks is the totally uneven assigning of Goods to new players. I've had over 100 players in my FS over time, yet we're still only 10% in production of certain Goods and always have been. Obviously as players go up through the Chapters these bottlenecks become even more acute.

As an aside I can see Chapter 20 in the Research Tree on Beta.

Yogi Dave

I've had over 100 players in my FS over time, yet we're still only 10% in production of certain Goods and always have been.
That's only a sample of 25 players, even though it's over time. Even in the whole world there are imbalances, but not as bad if only 25 people could produce the goods. At least in an FS you can advertise for the type you want and fix that to some extent.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
One of the problems with bottlenecks is the totally uneven assigning of Goods to new players. I've had over 100 players in my FS over time, yet we're still only 10% in production of certain Goods and always have been. Obviously as players go up through the Chapters these bottlenecks become even more acute.

As an aside I can see Chapter 20 in the Research Tree on Beta.
Do you mean Chapter 21?

Lady Dastardly

we got planks relics on khelonaar for the 2nd week in a row. will have to check my cities on other worlds to see if it happened there, too. i thought i was seeing things! :oops:
All US servers except for Arendyll had the incorrect tournament this week. This was reported and confirmed as a bug. See this thread for more details. Rumor has it that those servers will be skipping crystal and will have scroll tournaments this coming week, but there has been no official word yet.