• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

12 Things You Can Do to Avoid Game Burn-out

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
12 Things To Avoid Game Burnout​

After a few years here you may finally feel you are getting a bit bored. Here are a few suggestions on how to avoid burn-out. They, essentially make the game a different game in some degree or other, and that’s what it’s all about – new challenges and new horizons.

1) Stop battling. If you have been fighting your way to the top of the Spire and Tournament and it’s old hat, try doing the Spire, the Tournament, or both with just catering/negotiating. Probably have to do some rebuilding of your city and experience some dropping in rankings, but think about how it will be when you get back to the top with that different of a city and a different method of having climbed that high?

2) Take the lead. Start a new fellowship, recruit small to medium players only, and slowly climb the rankings. You could, of course just bypass the whole thing and get some of those big, strong, buddies you know to join you, but what’s the fun in that? Try raising a really small fellowship from number 200 to number 1! That’s a challenge.

3) Small is beautiful. Set small goals. Like having 90 million goods on hand. For a big city this may be nothing, but it doesn’t have to be 90 million, it could be 900 million. The point is, have multiple small goals you are working on. Like having 2 million Spell Fragments or 1 million of every sentient good (my personal goal). Whatever small goals you have give you a set of reachable targets and, as you know, achieving anything tends to make you enjoy yourself more.

4) Make friends and influence enemies. Join the forum and share all that game knowledge you’ve accumulated. You may even be able to persuade others their approach isn’t the best. It’s a tough thing to do but a worthy goal for you, the “Master of the Game.”

5) Reset and Restart. Okay, at the end of the last chapter, now what? If you did things perfectly with your end of game city, pay no attention to this suggestion. But if you did make a few mistakes, well, here’s an opportunity to try again. This time doing everything perfectly, right?

6) Time is of the Essence. Set a time frame for achieving things. Like you will finish this chapter in 102 days! Or 365, or 10 or whatever. Pressuring yourself may seem to be counter-intuitive, but since it’s you who are putting the pressure on, it tends to motivate you more than hurt. So be a Speedy Delivery guy and take off.

7) It’s a Group Thing. If you’ve mastered herding the cats in your fellowship, why not try herding a bunch of fellowships? Like the Star Fleet group. On all worlds and doing fairly well. They may not do it perfectly but they do it. Maybe you could do it better? Star Wars, anyone?

8) Join the Talkies. Get a Gabber Group together and start a fellowship with the game as only the background thing. Like playing a card game with friends...who cares who wins the game you aren’t there for that. It’s the fellowship in the fellowship.

9) The Master of One. Pick one thing you think you are better at than anyone, or can become better at than anyone, and go against the best. Top the Tournament every week for a year….without a lot of extra things others don’t have, like more than one Fire Phoenix. In other words, level the playing field and then try to be the Master of One.

10)) Make it Beautiful Set your city up like a park. Make it color coordinated, make it look like Paris, London, or Goshen (in Oregon if it still exisits I mean Goshen still existing, not the state of Oregon, which may or may not have been torn down).

11) Take a break. Yep, better to take a break before total burn-out then push yourself until you hate the name of the game. When you come back reread this list and pick one.

12) Add to this list. Just my way of suggesting this isn’t exhaustive and I’m sure others have great ideas. Let’s make it 100 things to do to combat burnout.

Hope this helps.

AJ

Mykan

Oh Wise One
unsure if point 5 covers this but starting a new town can do wonders for refreshing your enjoyment of the game (especially if you like tournament and spire).

Due to the penalties placed on advancing towns, start a new town pick a chapter to park at and just enjoy the town at that level. If you like tourny and spire you can make a very powerful town (small towns are crazy overpowered for an experienced player). If you don't like tourny and spire that's great too, once your parked you won't (eventually) need RR spells or blueprints (well maybe keep getting these for artifacts). You might even find you can make a town out of event buildings that only requires a once a day log in. Lots of ideas open up if you think about it.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
2) Take the lead. Start a new fellowship, recruit small to medium players only, and slowly climb the rankings. You could, of course just bypass the whole thing and get some of those big, strong, buddies you know to join you, but what’s the fun in that? Try raising a really small fellowship from number 200 to number 1! That’s a challenge.
I've already beaten this challenge! I founded my 2nd city about a week and a half after I started playing the game. And when I did so, I also established a brand new fellowship. I did not yet have an "big, strong buddies" and did not fully understand the game yet. Starting a brand new city and brand new FS at the same time and then growing it to 10 chest status is probably the hardest thing I've done in the game. I don't think I'd want to do it again. Recruiting took a *LOT* of time. The only reason I was able to do it was because 2020 was the lockdown year and I was only working a partial schedule.

Tuschunreal

I've already beaten this challenge! I founded my 2nd city about a week and a half after I started playing the game. And when I did so, I also established a brand new fellowship. I did not yet have an "big, strong buddies" and did not fully understand the game yet. Starting a brand new city and brand new FS at the same time and then growing it to 10 chest status is probably the hardest thing I've done in the game. I don't think I'd want to do it again. Recruiting took a *LOT* of time. The only reason I was able to do it was because 2020 was the lockdown year and I was only working a partial schedule.
I am a new archmage in "Relax and Be Merry" of the Elcysandir world and a pretty new player (6 months). We have 3 open spots and 8 inactive players. We have increased from 4 to 5 to 6 chests in tourney over last 2 months. Want to find additional players that want to help us in our journey. What did you find worked to attract players.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I am a new archmage in "Relax and Be Merry" of the Elcysandir world and a pretty new player (6 months). We have 3 open spots and 8 inactive players. We have increased from 4 to 5 to 6 chests in tourney over last 2 months. Want to find additional players that want to help us in our journey. What did you find worked to attract players.
That is the problem. It is much easier for an established 10 chest FS to recruit than it is for a growing FS. The established FS clearly has something to offer, they offer proven performance and rewards. When you can offer 10 chests and silver spire, recruiting is much easier. It is much harder for a growing FS to recruit. I really did struggle in the early days of my FS with recruiting. I had gotten to the point where we had about 15 or 16 members and we were getting roughly 7 chests weekly. But I had stalled at that point. Then I made contact with a group of 8 or 9 active players who were in a FS where the Archmage had quit. They were frustrated and none of them wanted to take over as archmage in their existing fellowship. But they also wanted to stay together. The numbers worked out and when they joined it put my fellowship over the top. So I guess that is my advice to you: look for another struggling fellowship and try to arrange a merger. And if you want to remain archmage, you will have to convince them to disband their fellowship and join yours.

*edit If you are certain some of your inactive players are gone for good, you should consider removing them. Players who check elvenstats.com are often hesitant to join fellowships which have lots of inactive players. In terms of perception, I think it is better to have lots of open spots. Having lots of inactive players makes it look like your fellowship is dying.

Last edited:

Tuschunreal

That is the problem. It is much easier for an established 10 chest FS to recruit than it is for a growing FS. The established FS clearly has something to offer, they offer proven performance and rewards. When you can offer 10 chests and silver spire, recruiting is much easier. It is much harder for a growing FS to recruit. I really did struggle in the early days of my FS with recruiting. I had gotten to the point where we had about 15 or 16 members and we were getting roughly 7 chests weekly. But I had stalled at that point. Then I made contact with a group of 8 or 9 active players who were in a FS where the Archmage had quit. They were frustrated and none of them wanted to take over as archmage in their existing fellowship. But they also wanted to stay together. The numbers worked out and when they joined it put my fellowship over the top. So I guess that is my advice to you: look for another struggling fellowship and try to arrange a merger. And if you want to remain archmage, you will have to convince them to disband their fellowship and join yours.

*edit If you are certain some of your inactive players are gone for good, you should consider removing them. Players who check elvenstats.com are often hesitant to join fellowships which have lots of inactive players. In terms of perception, I think it is better to have lots of open spots. Having lots of inactive players makes it look like your fellowship is dying.
Thanks...good info I want to stay archmage because of the challenge. I may be too gracious...I have notified the inactive players they will be removed if they remain inactive. I have removed 4 (all inactive for 4-6 months). I have set for myself, at least for now, when they hit 3 months inactive I will drop them so 2 more will be dropped this month. I figure as time goes on that will become shorter and shorter. 4 players joined in the past 3 weeks so I am excited about getting even more. I have started reaching out to other fellowships asking if they are interested in merging. I figured if I contact 1 every couple days that would give them time to think about it and reply.

I like the 12 things to do to avoid burnout. I am hoping a senior player who wants the challenge to help a growing fellowship with reach out and give us a try (for a new challenge). It would be interesting to have someone that has done it all and wants to be a coach. thanks for the quick reply....cheers...tuschunreal

SpazerWolf7

The issue I have with the game becoming a burnout is the fact that there is no break between events and FA's. It is more like work having to stay right at it all the time. As an AM we can't relax enough even though we have a Mage staff. I've been playing 2 years and the excitement is not being there anymore. I have some suggestions for the game but I need to find another thread for that.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I have removed 4 (all inactive for 4-6 months). I have set for myself, at least for now, when they hit 3 months inactive
In my opinion that is too generous. My general rule of thumb is that if a player is not active for a month then I send them a politely worded "are you still playing" message. I then wait a full week for a response. If I don't hear back within that week and/or they do not start playing again, I consider them inactive. There are 2 exceptions to this rule. 1: if they have communicated that something is going on in real life, then I hold their spot. Obviously, this is a game and real life takes priority. Plus, players who take the effort to communicate are worth waiting for. 2. If they have been a great, long term member then I will wait longer than 1 month, regardless of if they communicate or not before going inactive. But even here, 2 months is my max.

Moho

Chef
Due to the penalties placed on advancing towns, start a new town pick a chapter to park at and just enjoy the town at that level. If you like tourny and spire you can make a very powerful town (small towns are crazy overpowered for an experienced player).
This is exactly the playstyle I've chosen to circumvent the aspects I dislike in Elvenar. It may be a good game but that doesn't mean I love everything about it.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Want to find additional players that want to help us in our journey. What did you find worked to attract players.
I have started 2 FS now. My first FS is on EN though. I just recruited new players and small cities because we have nothing to offer starting out and I don't really know that many players over there. I'm following the same template for my 2nd FS, but this one is on the US servers so I know a whole lot more players. Having already been there and done that making a Gold FS from scratch in EN, I was hesitant to give myself more work starting another FS on the US servers. However, a ridiculous enough theme/concept fatefully popped into my head to make a 2nd FS worth pursuing. I've since learned if you're the Pied Piper of Shenanigans(© @Lady Dastardly), FOMO works really well in attracting players, even if you have 0 tourney chests and no Spire history to speak of. At the same time though, I take the responsibility seriously to deliver an odd FS experience, one that most definitely would make us unique and help fellows avoid burn-out.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
@muffy. That was my next suggestion, but I knew you'd want to put it up there, so I saved it for you!
LOL , Now see there … what a fabulous friend , looking out for me that way !! (Insert heart emoji if we had one )
Just goes to show it’s not all about the game. It’s bout the friendships you make along the way !!
Cheers AJ !!!

Tuschunreal

In my opinion that is too generous. My general rule of thumb is that if a player is not active for a month then I send them a politely worded "are you still playing" message. I then wait a full week for a response. If I don't hear back within that week and/or they do not start playing again, I consider them inactive. There are 2 exceptions to this rule. 1: if they have communicated that something is going on in real life, then I hold their spot. Obviously, this is a game and real life takes priority. Plus, players who take the effort to communicate are worth waiting for. 2. If they have been a great, long term member then I will wait longer than 1 month, regardless of if they communicate or not before going inactive. But even here, 2 months is my max.
Thanks...thanks for the coaching...seems silly for me to ask and not listen to those that have been there before. Thanks...removed more players and changing my limit to a month. thanks

Tuschunreal

I have started 2 FS now. My first FS is on EN though. I just recruited new players and small cities because we have nothing to offer starting out and I don't really know that many players over there. I'm following the same template for my 2nd FS, but this one is on the US servers so I know a whole lot more players. Having already been there and done that making a Gold FS from scratch in EN, I was hesitant to give myself more work starting another FS on the US servers. However, a ridiculous enough theme/concept fatefully popped into my head to make a 2nd FS worth pursuing. I've since learned if you're the Pied Piper of Shenanigans(© @Lady Dastardly), FOMO works really well in attracting players, even if you have 0 tourney chests and no Spire history to speak of. At the same time though, I take the responsibility seriously to deliver an odd FS experience, one that most definitely would make us unique and help fellows avoid burn-out.
Ants are a great little pest, questing for food, the queen is served but seldom seen. Perhaps a bee always buzzing, foraging nectar, serving the queen. Perhaps a lion, a pride of 15 or so, courageous, strong, and decisive. Yes, I will be a lion. I will relax on the savannah with my pride, I will be courageous and ban lazy cubs, strong seeking ever higher spire heights and oh those chests...10 is within our grasp. Relax and Be Merry

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Ants are a great little pest, questing for food, the queen is served but seldom seen. Perhaps a bee always buzzing, foraging nectar, serving the queen. Perhaps a lion, a pride of 15 or so, courageous, strong, and decisive. Yes, I will be a lion. I will relax on the savannah with my pride, I will be courageous and ban lazy cubs, strong seeking ever higher spire heights and oh those chests...10 is within our grasp. Relax and Be Merry
Yes, that's the spirit! But you do have to take it a step further though. After all, many fellowships are role playing various themes. There are hobbits, space commanders, and everything in between out there to choose from. Being ants is not what makes us unique. The ants have answered the clarion call of their queen and are helping to build a living art installation of sorts. That's the part that's not been done before and part of the appeal of trying something different.

Having premium prizes to offer like blueprints and diamonds will no doubt help with recruiting, but that's not so helpful to a FS just starting out with nothing to offer. Also remember too though, there are plenty of FS out there with blueprints and diamonds to offer, so prizes alone aren't necessarily enough to help distinguish one group from another. All the same, if it's a casual fellowship with not much to offer in terms of prizes because they are less competitive, well, they still need to make themselves standout from the next casual FS. And if players can't tell one FS from another apart, it's not going to stop them from jumping ship for greener pastures either. Hence, I think it's more important to establish and develop your group culture first, which you don't necessarily need star players for, but you do need to find the right kind of people. That is within the grasp of a new FS. Many FS can replicate the prizes you have to offer (or not if it's casual), but they can't replicate your culture. As the archmage, you get to dictate the direction and goal of the FS. Then find like-minded people! Can't stress that enough. Don't fall in the trap of worrying about overall numbers and then letting everyone in just to pad the numbers because you think that's more appealing. Take your time finding the right kind of players. Quality over quantity and the rest will follow AND you'll have more fun because you're surrounded by compatible teammates. :)

Tuschunreal

That makes a ton of sense. There are a few players I message with every few days and seem to get along well with. Including several in other fellowships. There are others that I have not heard from since taking over. Of course, I only been archmage for a month now so not too much track record. Using the upcoming FA to hopefully get some more conversation going. I have a daily message on how to prepare that I started sending out Friday. In any case, relaxing on the Savanah is a good thing patience will pay off in the long run. cheers...tuschunreal

Clusseau

"Feel free to Skip it" is my game-saving mantra.

Goals are fun, (=vital) but sometimes Play is not.
Feel free to turn it off, bag your tournament and go to bed early.
Drop a questline when value of remaining prizes isn't enough for even the current quest.
Leave your city, (and Upgrading), for a day that you actually feel like doing it.

Events? FA work? There are many examples that come down to "Play when it's Fun, turn it off when it's not".

senate7

Try combing through the Rankings tab listings of FS, comparing against Elvenstats to get updated info, looking for FS that have the same # of members in their FS that you need and contact them with a nice email suggesting merging. You'd be amazed at how many players are out there in a FS that has been abandoned by the AM, or has a number of inactive players (such as your own). You may pick up 3 or 4 new members from FS that way. Make sure that it's an 'open dialog' situation so that there is not one poor member left behind all alone when people make the move.