• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

[16560] Chat box not working?

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
hey your chat is broken again lol any chance you guys can fix your bugs vs just having players report them ?????????????????

That is the point of bug reporting @hvariidh gwendrot . Players report it, developers attempt the fix it. In this case, multiple attempts have taken place and different issues pass through. The point of a bug report, as I will like to re-iterate, is to report bugs and wait for a resolution.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention, now wait for a fix. Also, I will like to remind you that you are in no shape nor form obligated to report a bug.

Xelenia

DeletedUser3507

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, now wait for a fix. Also, I will like to remind you that you are in no shape nor form obligated to report a bug.

Xelenia

If we don't then you don't know it broken

hvariidh gwendrot

calling my post shouting is an incorrect assessment of my post .. saying players are not obligated to report bugs in the game is just silly .. getting upset at players because they would like an answer to when something might be fixed is counterproductive to open communication .. my crime here seems to be wanting information on an ongoing problem getting resolved and yes, opening a thread separate from the one that doesn't seem to get anything accomplished .. oh horrors and p.s. as far as being impatient .. that's what happens when the same problem keeps happeneing and doesn't get a response except today that is and what's the response ? if it stays broke you know it isn't fixed lol thanks for the help

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
calling my post shouting is an incorrect assessment of my post ..
Perhaps. Would 'throwing a temper tantrum and spamming multiple forum sections demanding an answer' be a more accurate one? I suspect the mods are limited in how they can describe your forum behavior, but I'm not.

Seriously, just what answer do you expect to come from a primarily user-driven forum? Do you really think any of us have the first clue what is going on behind the scenes in a company halfway across the world (from me, at least)? Or that someone has secretly given some of us a timeline of a chat socket server roll-out? You have as much information as is available at the moment. When the mods have more information, they'll share it. All anyone knows right now is 'they are working on it'. You've been dealing with this for a couple months and seem to be at your wits' end about it. Some players have been dealing with it for well over a year and haven't come as close to the end of their rope as you already have.
For people who read the beta forum or play on beta, they know a chat server started beta testing there May 17th and the estimated timeline for that test was 4 weeks. Don't have a clue what they will do at the end of that 4 week time frame and neither does anyone else on this forum.

hvariidh gwendrot

my temper has been mellow throughout unlike the personal attacks offered vs anything resembling fixing the problem .. as you say it's been ongoing for over a year and you want to defend the non fixes go for it, i'll stick to requesting information and timelines you can continue with non responsive inaccurate deflections, and name calling .. if you want to keep the give in take going in this forum fine i'll keep responding to insults vs answers :rolleyes:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
hey your chat is broken again lol any chance you guys can fix your bugs vs just having players report them ?????????????????

p.s. especially the same broken code everyone keeps reporting ? just saying if you can't fix it just close all threads having to do with reporting unfixable bugs like your ongoing chat problems and save yourselves the hassle of closing threads about things that can't be fixed :p
That's all well and good, but since you are posting in a thread that was created in Sept of 2017, when we were experiencing completely different symptoms, and the chat was running on a different code base, and you don't say what symptoms you are experiencing, how exactly should they fix it? What does "broken again" mean? Can you not type? can you not see anyone else's chats? Because both of those things are working just fine for me, and have been for a while. The only symptom I'm experiencing is the "unread" notification being wrong, but that doesn't strike me as something they've been trying to fix for a long time, since I never saw it before a day or two ago and they haven't deployed any new code since then.

What exactly are you asking them to fix?

Last edited:

hvariidh gwendrot

title for the thread "chat box not working" seems pretty simple, I am happy for all who have working chats on a regular basis if that's the case..not sure what typing skills have to do with it as I seem to be typing just fine but thanks for asking ;) I would ask them to have a better system to get answers on the when or how far along fixes are but that seems to be a non starter for the developers i'm told.. I would suggest that players try not to include overt or covert insults in responses but hey we all have our thing .. asking folks if they can read is just unproductive .. my thing is trying to get specific timelines to problems in the game without adding insults or such to the conversation .. but you do what ya got to do .. doesn't bother me .. a specific fix for the chat would be to not have it continue to go out on a almost daily basis .. what would you like fixed about it ?

hvariidh gwendrot

lol that is the one answer I did get from the powers that be .. no answers available get used to it ha .. but thanks for the banter gang I enjoy my time in the forum with everyone :cool:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
title for the thread "chat box not working" seems pretty simple
It is in fact, so simple, that it doesn't actually tell a programmer what your problem is.
not sure what typing skills have to do with it as I seem to be typing just fine but thanks for asking
I presume I should give you the benefit of the doubt that in a list of questions about what symptoms you are experiencing in chat, you couldn't figure out that I was asking if you are unable to type anything in your chat box?
I would ask them to have a better system to get answers on the when or how far along fixes are but that seems to be a non starter for the developers i'm told
They have indicated in release notes three different times since February that they were deploying fixes for chat issues. Since the first of those was for deploying a completely new bed of chat code, it has apparently introduced other bugs, and I don't think it's particularly surprising that we will now have a string of chat related bugs running for several more months until they stabilize that new code.
I would suggest that players try not to include overt or covert insults in responses
Suggestion noted. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. I feel like a significant number of your posts-over-time, and today in particular, have been churlish and provocative, whether intentional, or not I have no idea, but I'd guess it's just frustration.
asking folks if they can read is just unproductive
I don't know what that means. Perhaps it is aimed at someone else.
my thing is trying to get specific timelines to problems in the game without adding insults or such to the conversation
I fear you failed. The tenor of some of today's posts was quite insulting towards the developers. I think it stems from a misapprehension on your part that the bugs we have been experiencing in chat have been going on for some time. They haven't. The bugs this thread was created for have not occurred in several months. Since then, certain other bugs have crept in. This isn't a mission critical application, it's a game. A game that has a large code-base, and is being actively developed and is free to play. Bugs are going to happen.
a specific fix for the chat would be to not have it continue to go out on a almost daily basis
I suggest a hiatus. Judging by their update schedule, I think it highly likely they will stabilize the new chat code before christmas.
what would you like fixed about it ?
I would like the notifications to be accurate again, but since that's only a couple of days old, it doesn't offend me that it hasn't happened yet. I'd like the playerbase to be a little more fault tolerant, partly because I think it would help with some other things I'd like, including encouraging the developers to do a better job of testing changes, interpreting the feedback they get from Beta, and composing better communications to players before implementing changes.

Valtitude

Chat doesn't work for me and hasn't for more than a year. In fact, if I try to use it, the game freezes. Oh, yay. Not.
I also fight game freezes that happen for undetermined reasons and sometimes have trouble logging on to the game.
Here's what I've found:
I'm on Windows 7 Professional on an older HP entertainment computer.
Firefox Version 60.0.1
Adobe Flash Player Version 29.0.0.171
Google Chrome distorts horribly onscreen like the screen is made of jello, so I only use it when Firefox and Flash Player completely lock up
VPN (Virtual Private Network) helps sometimes, but I've changed ISP's twice. Na-da thing changed.
It is incumbent on me to check Adobe's site for Flash Player updates. Kinda thinking several times each month.
If I wait for Adobe to tell me there's a new update for Flash, my computer will freeze up and I'll lose time on my computer and the game. It has sometimes taken up to two days to debug these problems.
For me, at least, keeping Flash Player current by my own initiative, is imperative.
If anyone figures out something better, please post it!
Thanks. :rolleyes:
PS: I've reported this to Support as a problem at least twice, it isn't new. My "solution" is new-ish because the problem hit last weekend again.

Last edited:

hvariidh gwendrot

it's not me that failed it's chat that fails ;) .. if control freaks want to get upset people are wanting answers sorry that's on you guys

hvariidh gwendrot

I agree 100%.. in the real world if my furnace broke and gas was leaking and I called the service guy and got an answering machine that said your problem has been documented and we will contact as soon as we can fix it and never called back? I think anyone would do some follow up .. sorry if my tone comes across aggressive I get that but after talking with mods and checking in to who is running chat and doing a few peeks in to what was said is being done to implement a new system and the timeline I fully expect a working chat to be ready never ..and if at any time a mod thinks i'm out of line I have made it clear I am willing to talk to anyone in a conversation at any time .. conversation isn't something I avoid but embrace whatever the topic or reason .. so on that note I am going to go bunch up some more branches for the pickup team and enjoy the lovely outdoors and my garden while my city preps for the next round on the tournament and hopefully a nicely released and run event for us livers .. have fun all and p.s. if you wish to chat with me about chat further I would open to conversations vs taking up space in a thread designed for players looking for help

DeletedUser18062

Joined a few months ago and seen chat issues. As soon as it says connecting to networks or something like that I know it's down. It doesn't freeze or anything, just lets me type in the chat box but when I send it goes nowhere... If I reload the page it works most of the time.
Mac OS Chrome.

DeletedUser18062

Google Chrome distorts horribly onscreen like the screen is made of jello
That happens to me when I leave the game tab open a few days. Reloading the page doesn't help but quitting and relaunching Chrome works.

DeletedUser9743

The members of my fellowship are getting upset and some discussed leaving the game. What is going on with chat and can we get if fixed?

Deleted User - 841850

My chat is also not working. I will receive a few messages which just repeat themselves. I can sometimes reply but that message just becomes part of the loop.