• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

2021 Misty Forest discussion

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Reading the forum since the start of the event, I get the feeling the mist in the forest comes from the smoke and ash of a nearby dumpster fire. Between people not understanding how to navigate the forest mechanics and the strange combo of event quests, I wonder if anything ever gets worked out in Beta. It’s only like a 3 week window before things go live? The only changes I’ve heard beta players report are things nobody asked for, like they nerfed currency and moved a daily to a different day. Things everyone gripes about the loudest, like impossible quest combos, never gets changed.

The event plays exactly the same as it did last year, when this format was introduced, so there was nothing to test, other than to make sure the re-roll feature worked correctly. Inno also never adjusts the quests unless there is one that is extremely difficult and does not have an "Or" option. If people play the game the way Inno plans it to be played, such as not over-scouting and making your world map fights too hard to win, then none of the quests are a problem. Yeah, they do a poor job sometimes of getting information to the players, but it is out there.

Grid Gypsy

Inno also never adjusts the quests unless there is one that is extremely difficult and does not have an "Or" option.

A quick search of Elven Gems archive for last year's Misty Forest says differently. There were no instances of pet food needed last year, and there were no fight and win quests. They've also added an extra 12 kp to the buy list, from 48 kp last year to 60 this year.

If people play the game the way Inno plans it to be played, such as not over-scouting and making your world map fights too hard to win, then none of the quests are a problem. Yeah, they do a poor job sometimes of getting information to the players, but it is out there.

As far as I've been able to tell, the only reason that "don't over scout" is even mentioned is because other players have stated it. If you don't hunt down the forums and simply rely on the in game prompts, both regular and event, then you automatically end up over scouted in early chapters. I know this for a fact because I was one of those early chapters players who was terribly over scouted, and I started when we weren't doing an FA every other month.

I'm also guessing that they've lowered the chances of gaining any daily prizes, because by this time last year I had at least one. So far I've picked up 3 of the 420 packs and gotten nothing much more than kp and coin rains for it. Needless to say, between that and this year's evolve, I've pretty much lost all interest in this event.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Reading the forum since the start of the event, I get the feeling the mist in the forest comes from the smoke and ash of a nearby dumpster fire. Between people not understanding how to navigate the forest mechanics and the strange combo of event quests, I wonder if anything ever gets worked out in Beta. It’s only like a 3 week window before things go live? The only changes I’ve heard beta players report are things nobody asked for, like they nerfed currency and moved a daily to a different day. Things everyone gripes about the loudest, like impossible quest combos, never gets changed.
Text errors get fixed.
We get quests on Beta that say,
Invest 15 KPs in an Ancient Wonder of your choice,
and chapter 1 and 2 players have to write Support and get this quest auto completed, but when it comes to live realms the quest is
Spend 12 KPs instead.
Sometimes we ask, is this intended to exclude low chapter players, and if so, there are too many quests to buy KPs, gain Spell Fragments, spells or CCs, and when they come to live there are alternatives.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
A quick search of Elven Gems archive for last year's Misty Forest says differently. There were no instances of pet food needed last year, and there were no fight and win quests. They've also added an extra 12 kp to the buy list, from 48 kp last year to 60 this year.

I see you can't tell I am talking in general and not specific. There have been dozens and dozens of quests over 6+ years of events. The Pet Food quest has also been in two or three events in a row now, so not new.

As far as I've been able to tell, the only reason that "don't over scout" is even mentioned is because other players have stated it. If you don't hunt down the forums and simply rely on the in game prompts, both regular and event, then you automatically end up over scouted in early chapters. I know this for a fact because I was one of those early chapters players who was terribly over scouted, and I started when we weren't doing an FA every other month.

I am pretty sure one of the messages on the loading screen says something about not scouting too far. And it is likely on the Wiki, which has a direct link from in-game, both browser and mobile.

I'm also guessing that they've lowered the chances of gaining any daily prizes, because by this time last year I had at least one. So far I've picked up 3 of the 420 packs and gotten nothing much more than kp and coin rains for it. Needless to say, between that and this year's evolve, I've pretty much lost all interest in this event.

The actual percent chances for the daily prizes in the object/chest are probably about the same as last year, and they do vary by a percent or two from event to event, which is normal.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Inno also never adjusts the quests unless there is one that is extremely difficult and does not have an "Or" option.
A quick search of Elven Gems archive for last year's Misty Forest says differently.
Enevhar's reply was about Beta VS Live, not 2020 vs 2021. From year to year events get multiple tiny tweaks. From Beta to Live almost nothing gets changed unless it is totally game-breaking.
Beta testers are not treated as a focus group where their feedback is acknowledged discussed and acted upon. They are just bug-catchers 99% of the time.

Huor

Very true. Beta testers are just bug catchers (and thank you from all of us on the live servers!). The project management and story boarding decisions were made long before the coding was even started. Mostly. When I was a programmer, the managers always said "you guys start coding and I'll go find out what they want" lol.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems

I am sure the overscouting advice was said on the EN Forum by Marindor or Muf-Muf when my city was small. Also I know Timon was of the opinion that many players were in that position and stated so plainly in his videos: "about 10 over what is needed for the next chapter is ideal".

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Just to clarify about the re-roll feature: does it cost 5 cats to use? Or do you merely need to find 5 cats in order to activate it and using it is free? I have not used it yet.

DeletedUser29768

Just to clarify about the re-roll feature: does it cost 5 cats to use? Or do you merely need to find 5 cats in order to activate it and using it is free? I have not used it yet.
The latter.

Fayeanne

If you don't hunt down the forums and simply rely on the in game prompts, both regular and event, then you automatically end up over scouted in early chapters.

Not necessarily for players who read. When you go to scout a Hard or Very Hard province, the scout says "We REALLY shouldn't go there" on the confirmation dialog, which serves has a pretty good clue that...maybe the game thinks you shouldn't be scouting that province.

(Though if I'm not mistaken there is one rocky area in--what was it, Chapter 3?--where just to clear enough provinces to open the chest to the next chapter requires clearing a few Hard provinces. If that is still the case, they really ought to fix it...)

Guurt The Destroyer

Not necessarily for players who read. When you go to scout a Hard or Very Hard province, the scout says "We REALLY shouldn't go there" on the confirmation dialog, which serves has a pretty good clue that...maybe the game thinks you shouldn't be scouting that province.

(Though if I'm not mistaken there is one rocky area in--what was it, Chapter 3?--where just to clear enough provinces to open the chest to the next chapter requires clearing a few Hard provinces. If that is still the case, they really ought to fix it...)

Also, if you pay attention you can see that when you start a new chapter provinces get easier. This happens at the end of every chapter. Plus the fact that provinces are called "Very Hard" might be considered a clue.

So you have two actual game mechanics that encourages you not to over scout, or at least let you know that by doing so you are making things harder.

If a player decides to ignore these game mechanics and over scout, even though the repercussions are clearly evident, then at some point the repercussions of that decision belong to the player. Yes, the game designers could choose to take away the ability to over scout. They could also just make the game play itself.

This is after all a game. Games generally offer choices for players to make and repercussions for those choices.

Choices without any consequences makes for a pretty boring "game."

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
This event board is in my humble opinion the biggest mess that InnoGames have ever dreamed up!
I am so glad that I will not have to work with this nightmare for another year - unless they come to their senses and banish it entirely before then. It is entirely random and takes 30 minutes to an hour of boring click-click-click-click where I could use the time better elsewhere - to generate a random bag of unexciting itty-bitty junk that I have absolutely zero control over. It is about as interesting or exciting as counting the grains of sand on the beach. My principal objection to this format, shared by a large number of players in my group, is that it takes forever to spend your event currency, unlike the other formats. This evening it took almost 3/4 hour to blow my event currency in just one city; it would take several hours if you had a number of cities.
:(

Many (most?) players prefer the nine rotating chests / hoops / spheres to the Shuffleboard and other variants on the event screen like Misty Forest - even though the shuffleboard has become a lot more user-friendly these days. The chests give one more control over how you plan your spending of event currency - particularly for those not interested in the Grand Prize, who only do the event for ‘filler items’ like Instants and Boosters.

Please game designers - the trash can is the best place to consign this abomination!!

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I honestly think most players over scout (if you believe in that) based on the very hard designation. It is pretty hard to grow a city without expansions so the temptation to not be a sheep and stop at next chapter requirement is pretty hard to avoid. Smaller cities I know cater tournaments so battling difficulty is not a deterrent. In my FS there are 3 waiting for pet food to come around in the MA. In the meantime they are just not doing the event. Obviously, none of them is willing to spend one thin dime to get what they may be interested in since they get dead stopped at the battle or pet food quests. This event is so confusing with the fog map that most are dropping it anyway.

Rp44

In the app you do not see a scout or any dialogue about where you are going at all. At least now with the provinces tab on the map you can see what difficulty a province will be when scouted. Before that, the cost to scout was the only information about a province on the map.

Guurt The Destroyer

I honestly think most players over scout (if you believe in that) based on the very hard designation. It is pretty hard to grow a city without expansions so the temptation to not be a sheep and stop at next chapter requirement is pretty hard to avoid. Smaller cities I know cater tournaments so battling difficulty is not a deterrent. In my FS there are 3 waiting for pet food to come around in the MA. In the meantime they are just not doing the event. Obviously, none of them is willing to spend one thin dime to get what they may be interested in since they get dead stopped at the battle or pet food quests. This event is so confusing with the fog map that most are dropping it anyway.

You can clearly see you are wasting resources by doing the "very hard" provinces. It is just a waste of resources.

There are a number of down sides and yet people do it anyway.

The game presents you with a choice.

Choices and repercussions.

The Unbeliever

Wow. Couldn't disagree more. Clicking chests is waaaaaaaay more boring than actually using some strategy to clear/expose prizes in the fog.
Hopefully next year we'll get the event calendar added as well!;):D

Basically, introduced this year in FoE where this event came from, you can find a gemstone/sticker that opens up a secondary daily prize on the event calendar.
If/once you've found the gem/sticker for the day and continue digging through the fog, you can instead collect a gem/sticker fragment. 5 fragments = 1 full gemstone/sticker that can be used to open up any day's box on the calendar.
If/once you've completed the full calendar, then any gemstones/stickers you find becomes +10 event currency per gem/sticker found.:)

Now granted, we'd need our own unique mechanic to allow for daily collections of gem/sticker fragments, as in FoE, this is done via the Daily Challenge mechanics, but we'd need something completely different for Elvenar. Maybe something like 'collect 20 incidents in a single day = +1 sticker fragment' to reward high daily activity?!

If a player can complete the full calendar, then they win some bonus Artifacts + unique player portrait + kp's, etc...
Again, accounting for the differences in game play, the Elvenar version could perhaps include say, "complete the full calendar to win a unique portrait + bonus Artifact + Wishing Well + kp instants".

Or else give us the toys/tablets with their bonus mini quest lines that reward small amounts of event currency + a unique reward upon completing each toy/tablet!
There are 3 types of toys/tablets: 4x common which would reward junk like 33% coin/supply instants, 20kp instant, 5x runestones, etc... level "rewards", 3x uncommon which could reward say, a small Halloween theme deco (ie: Lonely Scarcrow) or 5x RR level rewards, and 1x rare which could reward something like a previous year's prize such a Haunted Graveyard or Windmill of Evil level reward.
Completing a full set of all 8 toys/tablets earns a player a unique portrait + 20 candles + 10 lanterns + 8 explodey flasks & say, a unique culture building.

Personally I prefer the daily reward calendar, as the toys/tablets are an absolute crap-shoot due to the horrid RNG %'s for spawning the uncommon + rare ones!
Out of 2x Archaeology events + 2x Halloween events where we've had these on FoE, I've only complete the toys/tablets once! (...and not for lack of trying either - it's just bat-gak insane the spawn rates!)