• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Closed | Archived [6143] Chat

DeletedUser

Almost every time I try to chat , it isn't going through when you hit enter. I tried 8 times and refreshed the game in between each time and it will not go through.. I had to email the group. Also the red indicator isn't working either. I tried to see if it would work better on my desk or windows 8 tiles, and both are acting up really bad. I keep checking to see if there's chat in the window and nothing. Then when I log out and come back later , there's the chat I missed during the time before I logged out. Getting very frustrating. Please fix this wonderful addition to the game.

DeletedUser511

Chat has had problems since it came out. Its only loading 3 times for me.

DeletedUser

I had problems with chat when it was first released on beta, but not since the open release. Then, the major issue was that the chat window didn't update appropriately and would only send a message by manually clicking the green button.

[edit:typo]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thank you Phoequndt, I'll give that a try. :D Ok , I gave it a try, I see no green button, At the end of my chat box there is the tool wheel. :( It must be over the green button LOL After changing my screen size , I can see the green button. Thanks :D :D

DeletedUser

Had some problems with chat tonight but it seemed to clear up just by refreshing the page. You can always try that in the future.

DeletedUser61

My Chat application has gone from not connecting 10% of the time, to not connecting 90% of the time. It was OK for the week after Fellowships were released. Perhaps there was a hotfix or some, on Monday or Tuesday. that effected the Chat application.

If I close and reopen my Chrome Browser, the chat box is blank and inputs are ignored.

If I then reload (Chrome Ctrl+F5 or clicking on the tab, which clears the buffers) I get
  • connecting, for several seconds
  • could not? establish connection, so fast you can barely read it
  • loading chat history
So it seems that I'm getting through to the Chat server, but it's not really establishing a session.

Shutting down my AVG Firewall (Automatic Mode) seems to relieve the problem.
Which ports should we verify, to ensure that the problem isn't somehow firewall related?
I'll post a path as soon as I have one.

UPDATE:
Dropping the firewall into the interactive mode seems to have settled things down, WITHOUT manually enabling any more applications. Maybe I just needed to slap the firewall around a bit, but the more likely case is that there's a Chat pattern that the AVG automatic mode firewall doesn't like.
AVG Internet Security version 2015.9.6125
How do the automatic decisions work in AVG Firewall
So the list of acceptable applications OR the digital signature might restrict an application, BUT I would expect the firewall to ask for permission, were that the case. That's not happening, but the chat application DOES seem to work better when the firewall is in interactive mode, for some weird reason, and symptoms are symptoms.

Elvenar: 0.21.15154-6ca4013-(master) (2015-07-27 14:32)
Latency isn't likely to be the issue. I'm using a T-Mobile 4G LTE USB tethered hotspot, and speedtest.net is showing
Ping: 103 ms, Download 8.57 Mbps, Upload 5.21 Mbps From Seattle to Miami.

UPDATE2: Chat was behaving better this morning, so I switched back to Auto Mode, and it's still behaving fairly well. This is sounding more an more like an intermittent hardware failure in the Miami datacenter, so it's going to be tough to isolate.