• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

A Traveler Has Arrived

Gath Of Baal

I propose a new game feature, that adds developable characters to live and work within your city, adding a new aspect to the game both for combat and further personalizing a city through its people who live there.

I propose a new building called the "Travelers Tavern" once built, this 2x2 upgradable building will start attracting travelers to your city. Once a week after building completion you will receive the following message:

"Hearing of your cities growth and success, a traveler has arrived at your city, offering you their services in exchange for lodgings and Employment"

You can either accept their offer to work and live in your city or reject them.. When you accept their offer a screen will pop up letting you give them a name and portrait.. Each traveler will have a specific skill they can add to your city and it is totally random which traveler will offer their services to you... You can collect all the various travelers but how many can be active at one time is determined by your Travelers Tavern level, and the current active travelers portraits will appear just to the right of the players portrait running in a line from left to right. These portraits should be the size of the quest givers.
- Each active traveler can gain experience and grow further increasing their benefit for using them.
- Only activated travelers benefits apply to your city or army.
- Inactive Travelers can not gain experience while they sit at the tavern, nor are thier benefits active
- To activate a traveler you must 2x click a current or empty Traveler portrait frame then select from a drop down list which traveler to make active. Hovering the pointer over a current traveler will show their level and current experience and how much experience is needed for their next level

Travelers:

1) The Bard
--- The bard brings with them stories and song that will increase the culture of your city. The bard gain experiences through a player doing neighborly and fellowship visits, this would represent them traveling to various cities and learning that cities stories and songs to bring back and enhance your own cities culture. Each time the bard levels it adds +1% culture and at level 10 would add a +10% culture ... The Bards added benefit is that when he reaches level 10, your city will keep a 170% culture bonus while the Bard is active

2) The Sentinel --- The sentinel travels with and protects your trade caravans, Since the caravan feels safe they give a discount on trades fees since there is less risk involved in traveling great distances to do trade... For every trade accepted the sentinel gains experience.. a level 1 sentinel reduces the traders fee by -2% to a max of level 10 which the trade fee is reduced by -20%.. The Sentinels added bonus is when he reaches level 10 you will be able to trade with cities further away then the normal game mechanics currently allow.

3) The Rogue --- The rogue knows how to find and acquire things cheaper then what can be purchased.. Every time you make a purchase from the wholesaler the rogue gains experience.. A level 1 rogue reduces the wholesaler costs by 2.5% to a max of level 10 which would reduce the wholesaler costs by 25%.. The Rouges added bonus upon reaching level 10 is that his ability becomes permanent weather he is active or not

4) Master Of Arms --- The master of arms is a highly skilled warrior who will train your troops for you, giving them the benefit of his combat experience.. The master of arms gains experience for every squad trained in the buildings that share the training que of the barracks.. A level 1 master of arms adds +1% damage and -1% damage taken for your units.. At level 10 it would add +10% damage and -10% damage taken.. And his bonus ability at level 10 would be To add +20% units trained when collecting from the barracks. So if you just trained 2000 archer, when you collect them you would receive 2400 Archers

5) The Adventurer --- The adventure goes out and adventures in the unknown wilderness in search of fame and fortune, in this process when the adventurer returns home they bring back maps and charts of previously unknown regions and maybe even a small treasure.. an adventurer gains experience from every day you have them active.. A level 1 adventurer will randomly scout one of your unexplored provinces every 4 weeks and has a 2.5% chance of brining back a chest which would contain a random treasure like a sword, armor, etc that the hero #7 needs. .. An adventurers max level is 10 which would reduce his exploring time down to 2 week and give a 25% chance they return with a chest.. An Adventurer's added bonus upon reaching level 10 is that it will allow you to recruit and activate a 2nd adventurer, and when the 2nd adventurer reaches level 10 it will allow you to recruit and activate a 3rd adventurer

6) The Magistrate --- With the magistrate also comes the sense of law, order and safety in your city, which in turn attracts more people who want to live in your safe and lawful city.. The magistrate gains experience thru the building and upgrading of residences .. A level 1 magistrate gives a population bonus of +2% level 10 would give a +20% population bonus... At level 10 the Magistrates added bonus is that his bonuses become permanent even if he is not active

7) The Hero --- The hero accompanies your units into combat and does not count towards the 5 squad limit.. A hero gains experience for every enemy squad destroyed in battle... The hero can be equipped with armor and weapons that can be found in chests to make him/her stronger.. As a hero levels their health, damage,movement, damage reduction also improves... If a hero dies in combat you must wait several days to resurrect them.. a low level hero is relatively week and must be protected, but a high level hero equipped with armor and weapon would be a force to recon with... Heroes can not be used on auto fighting, and I feel the hero concept would make more people want to do or learn manual combat and add a twist to the combat.

8) The General --- The general uses his leadership and experience to command a battle, and does not count towards the 5 squad limit and can only be used on manual battles.. The general gains experience from friendly squads that survive the combat.. The general physically does not get stronger as he levels, but his leadership skills do, so the general must be protected...
Generals skills:
1) Bodyguard -- a general can put experience points into this skill to gain a bodyguards.. The body guards do not add to the squad size, but instead add to the generals health, to represent the fact they are actively trying to protect the general..
2) Forced March --- A general can inspire his troops to move faster... This skill would increase the base movement of all squads in battle
3) Combined Fire ---- When a ranged unit fires on a enemy squad, this ability would give all ranged units a small chance to add their support to the attack as long as they are in range.. This support attack does not count towards a squads normal attack...
4) None Shall Pass --- Melee units that are out front will not let enemy units bypass them in order to attack units behind them. The Success of this happening is dependent on how much experience is invested in this skill.
5) No Man Left Behind --- At the end of a battle a % of lost troops will be returned to you, depending on how much experience is invested in this skill.

It should be possible to put a little bit of experience into each skill, but to get the best out of a skill you would have to concentrate development to a couple.. More skills can be added to the list I am open to new skills Ideas.

9) The Engineer --- The Engineer brings with him the knowledge and creativity to make new discoveries within your city. Every time you use the crafter to make something, your engineer gains experience. For every level he gains it will drop the crafting costs by 2.5% up to the max of 25% at level 10. The engineer also gives a 1% chance per level to a max of 10% of out right crafting something for free.

10) The Architect --- The Architect bring with him the knowledge of construction and maximizing the use of space in a city. He gains his experience through building upgrades and reduces building time 2.5% for every level he gains up to a max of level 10 and a 25% time reduction. His added benefit is that when he reaches level 5 you gain 1 free 5x5 expansion ( No Costs to place) and when he reaches level 10 you gain 1 5x5 expansion that you will have to place with gold.. This would represent him using his space management knowledge to improve your city

How A Traveler Levels
Every time one of the above listed tasks are done that traveler will gain a little bit of experience, just how much experience gained is up the Inno

Level 1 would be 1000 xp
level 2 would be 2000 xp
Level 3 would be 3000 xp
Level 4 would be 4000 xp
Level 5 would be 6000 xp
Level 6 would be 9000 xp
Level 7 would be 13000 xp
Level 8 would be 18000 xp
Level 9 would be 24000 xp
Level 10 would be 31000 xp

As you can see this would not be a fast process to level your travelers, but over the course of time it would eventually happen

The Travelers Tavern:

Should cost basic resources, gold and supplies to construct. when placed it will be a 2x2 upgradeable building that is needed to attract the Travelers. This building should be available from chapter 2 , this gives new players enough time to learn the basics of the game before introducing them to this and still leaves enough time for certain travelers to be extremely useful and enough time to develop travelers that need things like upgrades for experience.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
It might be an alternative to your idea but what if players were able to actually visit as one of the roles suggested? When a general visits you, you get X amount of his abilities for X amount of time. The boosts for other visitors would also apply. Each player could choose to be one of those roles and could influence his/her city according, including improving their own abilities as that role and having the improvements effect the cities they visit at the same time.

AJ

Risen Malchiah

Master of Arms, Hero and General for me please. :) Though of course, the Magistrate is awesome as well and would be difficult to replace once leveled up, and if the Hero needs items found by the Adventurer, it would be hard to forego one without the other. The fact that we can't have all of them but would want more than 3 means this would make for some compelling decisions that affect individual gameplay.

This is a refreshingly new idea I have not seen mentioned before.

DeletedUser12423

I like it ^ ^
I like it, and I hope Inno sees this. There is so much room to expand this idea, too! Bravo!

Gath Of Baal

I had at one point given up on this idea, and yesterday started developing it again by adding an experience table, new benefits of each traveler and even 2 new travelers.

I still believe in this idea and truly think it would really add to the game

I apologize to you, if you are one who thinks I should not have necroed an old thread

Gath Of Baal

It's highly creative and I love creative things at all times..andI hope you will forgive me for saying so, but aren't the Travellers sort of like a new kind of AW?

No forgiveness need, it is a totally valid question

The travelers are meant to be developable characters that live in your city, ones that you can name and assign a face to , every city should have a few citizens that are extraordinary in what they do or provide to a city. We all have a few favorite names that we either read about, role played, seen on TV, Historical figure, etc and wouldn't it be great to actually be able to name and develop and have living in your city, some of your favorites . that alone adds more flavor then any AW possibly could

Yep I agree they do share bonus characteristics like an Ancient Wonder, but with out having to dump thousands and thousands of knowledge points into them and are another way of gaining bonuses with out having to use the space an AW takes up. Plus I think that a few of the Travelers would enhance the value of having a few particular wonders in a city . The more you play and do the things you would normally do over the course of normal game play, the more the travelers grow, as long as they are the active ones.

Since you can only use a few at a time you would have to make some hard choices, which would lead to even more diversity.. Some of the Travelers I developed or plan to develop are also meant to fill a few "wants" and "needs" within the game, with the prime example being the Adventurer, who is pretty much an extra scout, a slow scout, but still an extra scout, which players have been asking to have for years. Some of the Travelers I feel would promote certain aspects of the game to people who had no interest in doing them before, like the Hero And General, I could see this making some want to actually try out manual combats and want to learn how to. One of the Travelers even gives you 2 5x5 expansions over the course of time

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I like it. Balance issue aside since the inno would undoubtedly change the numbers, the core concept is interesting, and seems like it would have meaning ful choices.
There is an easy tie-in for :diamond::diamond::diamond::diamond: too:
Make a travelers tavern or some sort of 2x2 building, and leveling it up costs diamonds. 1 traveler per level up to level 5...but, wanna get fancy? make it downgrade a level every x weeks to level 3 minimum. Keep that diamond spending rolling. basically a subscription to have 4 or 5 while us dirty F2P scrubs can get to level 3 with wishing wells and maybe struggle our way to 4 or even 5 sometimes.

Gath Of Baal

I like it. Balance issue aside since the inno would undoubtedly change the numbers, the core concept is interesting, and seems like it would have meaning ful choices.
There is an easy tie-in for :diamond::diamond::diamond::diamond: too:
Make a travelers tavern or some sort of 2x2 building, and leveling it up costs diamonds. 1 traveler per level up to level 5...but, wanna get fancy? make it downgrade a level every x weeks to level 3 minimum. Keep that diamond spending rolling. basically a subscription to have 4 or 5 while us dirty F2P scrubs can get to level 3 with wishing wells and maybe struggle our way to 4 or even 5 sometimes.

Wow I never even thought of this aspect of a tavern like upgradeable building and tie it into the number of Travelers you can have active at once.... I can see some diamond sales caused by that, and also premium Travelers could count for a few sales

Last edited:

Gath Of Baal

I was even thinking of:

The Competitor = that would be leveled through tournament provinces completed and for every level he gains a player would get a slight points increase every time they finished a province instead of the standard tournament scoring.. this might even help small fellowships or less competitive fellowships eventually get to the 10 chest mark, when several members are using this traveler. Also once activated the Competitor is locked in to the active spot until the end of the tournament

And

The Collector = who levels up on buildings won through all the various events. For every 2 levels he /she earns you will be able to place an old event building you don't want to sell back in storage.. at level 10 you could place 5 event buildings away for safe keeping... this would be kind of a compromise to the whole no storage for placed buildings thing

Last edited:

Vergazi

I've been holding off commenting or saying anything because I'm simply not sure of how I feel about this idea. I think, however, I have but one thought that is possibly worth uttering, which is that I'd think since the Tavern holds multiple "Travellers", that each are in effect a kind of adjunct AW, one would have to make the footprint of the Tavern larger with each additional guest. Only half serious here and half joking; if it didn't get larger then you might as well make the Tavern look like a blue london police call box. o_O

Gath Of Baal

I've been holding off commenting or saying anything because I'm simply not sure of how I feel about this idea. I think, however, I have but one thought that is possibly worth uttering, which is that I'd think since the Tavern holds multiple "Travellers", that each are in effect a kind of adjunct AW, one would have to make the footprint of the Tavern larger with each additional guest. Only half serious here and half joking; if it didn't get larger then you might as well make the Tavern look like a blue london police call box. o_O

Yep I agree, and I think maybe just using soggys idea about the tavern and just tie the storage issue for all the different Travelers into the tavern upgrades, instead of trying to throw in extra costs to be able to store all the travelers not currently active

So now when you upgrade a tavern you gain +1 active traveler spot and +3 unused traveler storage

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Regarding the collector, There should be a cost to place buildings back in your city. Something like 1 RR per square or a blue print.
If not hen a max level collector could just hold your 5 biggest buildings while you crush out the FA/event and then you place them back.
I'd think since the Tavern holds multiple "Travellers", that each are in effect a kind of adjunct AW, one would have to make the footprint of the Tavern larger with each additional guest. Only half serious here and half joking; if it didn't get larger then you might as well make the Tavern look like a blue london police call box. o_O
The builders hut never changes size, and I have a unicorn that somehow holds 650 people- I wouldn't worry about trying to fit a dozen guys into a tavern.:)

Gath Of Baal

Regarding the collector, There should be a cost to place buildings back in your city. Something like 1 RR per square or a blue print.
If not hen a max level collector could just hold your 5 biggest buildings while you crush out the FA/event and then you place them back.

Yeah maybe use the RRs to place old event buildings back into your city.. this way when you place them you can get the upgraded version of them back since you had to use the RRs... . But still free to store