• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Add black lotus to FA top 10

Kekune

I know "make the FA prizes better!" Is a common refrain, but I couldn't find this specific suggestion. I apologize if it is a duplicate; searching on mobile is sort of a crapshoot most days.

Proposal: Add the black lotus prize to the rewards for top 10 fellowship adventure finishers.

Reason: Many players value the black lotus higher than the pop/culture trophies currently offered as prizes for the top 10 finishers. This results in teams debating whether (or actually deciding) to intentionally miss the top 10 to receive the "better" prize given to places 11-20.

Competitions are better when the prizes are clearly progressive. There may always be debate about whether the FA prizes are "worth it" at all, but it makes no sense for prizes to not actually improve with better achievement. Adding the lotus would make finishing in the top 10 clearly more desirable than finishing 11-20 for teams who enjoy the FA.

Pros: Better engagement in FA. Improves prizes for high achievement.

Cons: Adds a prize without balancing by a loss/removal. However, as it's a small building that's routinely available in events, this is hardly game-breaking.

Kekune

Bump. Got a few likes, but no comments. Lack of strong feelings? I know this is an Elvenar version of first-world problems.

Alram

Flippers just flip
Doesnt having "trophy only" prizes for the top ten finishers ensure that only the teams that really, really enjoy competition make the top ten?
*Bragging Rights are a big deal to a lot of people.

Last edited:

Kekune

Our team is a mix. Some folks love it and go all-out with their shantytowns, some just go with the flow. The new FA style depends so much on general activity and strong tourney/spire performance that we've been in the top 10 every FA since the format changed.

We've never attempted to build a dominant FA team (tourney/spire is our focus, FA is a bonus) so we have a mix of play styles. As a result, we keep having these debates, where the folks who are excited for the activity itself want to push further and see how far we can go, and the folks who are less enthused want to know why we can't just stop already and get the lotus.

The fact that this is even a discussion/choice is absurd.

Again, I totally understand that there will always be extremes in the FA: some people will sit out, and others will go all-in, no matter what the prizes are. Both of these approaches are valid. But I don't recall ever seeing any other competition, anywhere, in any format, where it makes sense to throw the competition simply because the prizes are better if you DON'T do your best.

Alram

Flippers just flip
I understand the debate between people who want to go all out and people who are less enthused but I think the top ten should be reserved for those who are motivated to go all in, no matter what the prizes are.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
While I'm not crazy about BLs, I know many people who are. And no one is crazy about the pop/culture prizes in the top 5 (the number one prize isn't appreciably better than number 2, per square, and is less versatile and so tall that it blocks everything behind it. It really bugs me.)

I would rather have a BL than the number one prize, despite what I said. At least it wouldn't annoy me.

Iyapo1

@Darielle
I am not overly fond of the FAs, I did however spend a bit of time in a top FA fellowship. They would occasionally put up trophy gardens.

They were pretty crazy about the trophies!

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
@Darielle
I am not overly fond of the FAs, I did however spend a bit of time in a top FA fellowship. They would occasionally put up trophy gardens.

They were pretty crazy about the trophies!
I guess each player and each fellowship is different! :)

Iyapo1

@Kekune
One of my FS just went from 11th to 10th. I am very sad about that. So you absolutely have my vote. Yes please add the lotus to the top 10 prizes!
As long as nothing is taken away. As I mentioned to Darielle, I know several players who love the trophies(while also calling them crappy stat wise).

Iyapo1

Something else to consider....a lot of good solid FS aim for the lotus and it is fun holding position against other FS who also want the lotus. It's like a mini game.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Got a few likes, but no comments. Lack of strong feelings?
Kinda.
The situation where players want to fail on purpose to get better prizes is ridiculous.
However...
The user interface is such hot garbage that I still hate the FA because of it and am very hesitant with any suggestion of improving the prizes before that gets fixed for fear of causing FOMO If the rewards are overhauled.

So, until and unless I can safely collect everything from my city in one sweep and let wonder/ghost etc badges pile up like vision vapor does in the MA, I'm not interested in bringing the crappy ranking prizes to the developer's attention. :(

hvariidh gwendrot

i thought the fill the tricolors with a small something, and a little extra something for blanking out the stages that got a wee better as you went from stage 1 to stage 3 flag pull was a good idea to motivate people

SoggyShorts

i thought the fill the tricolors with a small something, and a little extra something for blanking out the stages that got a wee better as you went from stage 1 to stage 3 flag pull was a good idea to motivate people
Yup. Getting the exact same prizes for doing all 3 routes vs just green is also a crappy design, but this also brings me back to:
Make the interface better, and then make the prizes desirable, not the other way around.

hvariidh gwendrot

fair point however another way to look at this is, if the rewards were better then people might pay more attention and not waste a toolbox or whatever, and the programmers would not need to write a code to compensate for what is essentially a player mistake not a programming error

Kekune

until and unless I can safely collect everything from my city in one sweep and let wonder/ghost etc badges pile up like vision vapor does in the MA, I'm not interested in bringing the crappy ranking prizes to the developer's attention. :(
I agree that the FA could improve, both in prizes and in mechanics. However, they've said they won't do this particular change with collecting, so I hate to make that the hill we're gonna die on. And they're not either/or solutions to the same problem. This feels like refusing to fix a pothole because the street sign next to it isn't accurate. It would be good to have both, but one is better than nothing. If nothing else, this should be a really easy change to implement, whereas a larger change to either the reward structure or the badge collecting system would be a big project.
Yes, I think the reward system as a whole could be better. The suggestion here about the lotus wouldn't likely improve anybody's motivation to participate in the first place; probably the teams that would care most about it are already doing most or all of the map already. I think that could be (maybe already is?) a separate suggestion.

SoggyShorts

fair point however another way to look at this is, if the rewards were better then people might pay more attention and not waste a toolbox or whatever, and the programmers would not need to write a code to compensate for what is essentially a player mistake not a programming error
Your toolbox wastage due to player error point has been made, and while I couldn't possibly disagree more, it's not even the thing that I find the most annoying. I haven't made a mistake due to misclick in several FAs and I still hate it.

I'm FAR more concerned about having to
  1. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  2. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  3. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  4. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  5. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  6. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  7. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  8. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  9. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  10. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
Instead of

1. Click wonder, donate 100KP (or even 10x10), close, open FA, click claim (or even 10x claim)
Same for every single non- production badge.

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'm FAR more concerned about having to
  1. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  2. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  3. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  4. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  5. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  6. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  7. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  8. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  9. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
  10. Click wonder, donate 10 KP, click close, open FA , claim, close FA
Instead of

1. Click wonder, donate 100KP (or even 10x10), close, open FA, click claim (or even 10x claim)
Same for every single non- production badge.
It's almost as if the devs don't play their own games...