• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Add polling ability within FS messaging

add an option to create polls in your Fellowship

• In Favor

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • Not in favor

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Myne

Oh Wise One
With the new fellowship perks we now have; fellowships need a way to poll their members on which choice they prefer the archmage to spend points on both on mobile and on browser. There is only limited ability to hold a "meeting" within chat. Sending fellowship wide messages and tracking them regarding choices made for fellowship progression and advancement is onerous when fellowships have wildly varying playing schedules.
The ability to poll would allow archmages the ability to, at a glance, see which direction the fellowship as a whole, wishes to go.

Last edited:

Myne

Oh Wise One
I agree that this suggestion would make archmages/ mages lives easier! I would also like to see this feature implemented not only for fellowship perks, but for the FA as well. Both require input from the fellowship as a whole. Hopefully, we can get a poll for this suggestion.

If we can get it added there are all manner of ways it could be used and YES it would make our lives easier!

Huor

Yes, I think many more people would respond to a poll. Plus they don't have to sift through all the messages to see what everyone is thinking and privacy of the poll takes away peer pressure so more people may vote knowing they won't have to deal with any unwelcome responses.

Soleil Nightbloom

I'm not against the idea but I'm wondering if it would help. You send a mail seeking input, may be eight players respond. Do you think more would respond if it was in poll format?
I think this question also goes to how active the fellowship is in general and how often they read messages in the first place. For example, my fellowship is very active and they rely on me to give them important information, so they know to periodically check the messages. I think this feature would go over well they can just click ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

Last edited:

Soleil Nightbloom

Yes, I think many more people would respond to a poll. Plus they don't have to sift through all the messages to see what everyone is thinking and privacy of the poll takes away peer pressure so more people may vote knowing they won't have to deal with any unwelcome responses.
Yes! This feature would help someone like myself who likes to get straight to the point. There are countless times I have to carefully comb through the messages because they didn’t give a simple yes/no answer.

Yogi Dave

I'm not against the idea but I'm wondering if it would help. You send a mail seeking input, may be eight players respond. Do you think more would respond if it was in poll format?
I think there would be more responses since. I presume, a vote would be anonymous.
There are countless times I have to carefully comb through the messages because they didn’t give a simple yes/no answer.
I think it is difficult to just pose a yes/no question within the FS. Unless there has already been discussion about which perks and to what level and when to switch to them. How do you know what the poll question should be without having a prior discussion? You have to already have an idea of what you want to do and the FS understands what it is and what the consequences are. The wording would probably encourage a yes vote with or without a discussion. Example: "Currently all our perks are set for the spire. At the end of spire this week we would like to switch all XP to the Knowledge Sharing perk for everyone to use as the want. Yes, or no? Ok, that seems ok-ish, but what do you do if more people choose no? Leave everything the way it was? You have to have a discussion or reopen it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just don't think it's as simple as being talked about here, at least so far.

In this forum section we have polls, but only after a long discussion and working out the nuances on what is really wanted and how to express it for the developers. It reduces down to a yes/no question of having the idea passed on or not. Yes/no works pretty well with that - after the discussion.

Soleil Nightbloom

I think there would be more responses since. I presume, a vote would be anonymous.

I think it is difficult to just pose a yes/no question within the FS. Unless there has already been discussion about which perks and to what level and when to switch to them. How do you know what the poll question should be without having a prior discussion? You have to already have an idea of what you want to do and the FS understands what it is and what the consequences are. The wording would probably encourage a yes vote with or without a discussion. Example: "Currently all our perks are set for the spire. At the end of spire this week we would like to switch all XP to the Knowledge Sharing perk for everyone to use as the want. Yes, or no? Ok, that seems ok-ish, but what do you do if more people choose no? Leave everything the way it was? You have to have a discussion or reopen it. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just don't think it's as simple as being talked about here, at least so far.

In this forum section we have polls, but only after a long discussion and working out the nuances on what is really wanted and how to express it for the developers. It reduces down to a yes/no question of having the idea passed on or not. Yes/no works pretty well with that - after the discussion.
I agree. In order to hold a vote there should be a prior discussion. When we received the in-game message that the fellowship perks were coming I held a discussion through the messages, not chat. I wanted to make sure that they understood how the perks worked and we also discussed which perks we felt would be helpful for us. Then when the perks were implemented I immediately started a vote thread. There I had them Only list the perks they wanted and then prioritize those by listing which perks they wanted me to upgrade first, from top to bottom. It turns out Spire and Tourney were the main focus with a few wanting Advanced help. Luckily, we saved up enough XP and I was able to upgrade all three perks favoring the Tourney and Spire archive perks. This was to give us a jumpstart in upgrades. Now the perks votes are much easier because we already have an idea of what we are focusing on first.

For the FA we always hold a discussion before the official announcement where we discuss strategy and suggestions for prepping their cities. When the official in-game announcement is made I then take the FA participation vote in the format of “In/Not In”. This has seemed to work for us. Plus, the FA is so repetitive we kind of already know who wants to participate or not. However, I still feel I should take a FA vote regardless because I don’t know what peoples plans are. It always better to be safe than sorry.

Myne

Oh Wise One

I like lovely discussions, my fs has them for sure. But, if you already have held the discussions and know which two your fs leans towards, a poll would work nicely rather than another discussion about the same thing over and over with the same result. A poll also works nicely in finding out who is in/out of FAs.
There is a lot of work involved in running a fs. Help is appreciated from the devs if they will give it.

Sprite1313

I think you can combine discussion and polling. I help manage the FAs for my FS, and almost everyone responds with their preference and an explanation of WHY they feel that way. But the discussion always ends up sidetracked as a chat, and I end up sorting through a hundred messages to find the 25 answers buried in the friendly chat. I really enjoy reading the rambling discussion, because that is part of what makes my FS so much fun to be in, but this would allow for that friendly chat, and still give me a "final answer" more easily.

Sprite1313

The standard downside of developer time (if you are looking for specific “cons” for a game change proposal). Not sure how challenging the programming would be (especially if you set if for more than just a yes/no option). Would probably need to determine who could request/initiate a poll (not a downside, but something to add to flesh out the concept).

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
ok anyone see any downsides or negative aspects?
Not that I think we can address, and I think the suggestion is a good one that should be heard.
While I was typing @Sprite1313 commented on some details I agree we might want to include.
Here's the downside I don't think we are in a position to address:
There's a moderate amount of consensus on the idea that both the in-game msg system and chat (both with top-of-the-line circa Win95 features!) are third-party software products. The company, as far as I know, has never confirmed this, but they confirm very little of anything, so we're left guessing.
If that's the case, we may be asking that Inno spend resources to upgrade the third-party software (probably at a higher cost) if possible or to change software vendors to one (that's probably more expensive) that provides a product with features that are at least upgraded to this century*.
I'm also pretty sure there's some legacy code/software involved in the bare bones of the browser game. Integration of newer msg/chat software might not be as easy as it looks.
Note: I don't have a lot of knowledge about software, how it all works/integrates nor do I have the technical words to describe things properly. I'm just old and have seen things evolve over the years that make some stuff (there's a technical term for you!) stand out like a sore thumb...

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
There's a moderate amount of consensus on the idea that both the in-game msg system and chat (both with top-of-the-line circa Win95 features!) are third-party software products. The company, as far as I know, has never confirmed this, but they confirm very little of anything, so we're left guessing.

The chat panel is definitely done by a 3rd party, but I have never heard the messaging system was. I am pretty sure that is all Inno, especially from when they finally added messaging to the mobile app.

And speaking of the mobile app, any suggestions should include implementation for both mobile and browser or take into account if it is something that will not work on both.