• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Alternative FA Pit Change

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
While I prefer the idea of just throwing everything in the pit, with each badge having a weighted value depending upon it's difficulty, I also want to propose a different alternative (in case the first is unworkable, for some reason). I suggest they have a fourth rotation of sacks of coins, Elvarian guard, and wonder society badges.

The reason I suggest these special three badges is because this is a game where connections to neighbors and getting involved in the whole game play is important. By adding that particular rotation, they could increase interaction between neighbors (coin badges and wonder society badges would prompt people to help neighbors when they may not have done so before, thereby meeting new friends.) The Elvarian guard badge would help people who have never fought to consider it, with all the masses of troops they acquired. That would increase one more aspect of game play, thereby retaining interest in the game rather than getting bored with catering.

The other badges don't have the same value at increasing interaction and enhancing game play, as these three do. Therefore, the fourth rotation might alleviate the boredom with the FA while having an actual purpose in choosing those particular badges.

Pros: Increasing interest in FA, meeting new neighbors and forming connections, exposing caterers to different aspects of game play

Cons: Difficult to acquire enough resources to make these badges, and some fellowships might be stymied if they run out of Ancient Knowledge points for wonder badges or neighbors to visit if they need coins. (But a way to solve that would be to stock up on coin instants and AW points before the FA started, to have a stockpile.)

If they could implement both ideas, the fourth rotation as well as being able to use up the excess badges for points, that would be the best of both worlds. If not, then I'd prefer a "throwing everything in the pit" solution, with no rotations. If neither of those will be implemented, then this might at least be considered. Thank you for weighing in on this.

Last edited:

T6583

I'm sorry but I'm against adding more things to the pit at present time. FA's are already difficult enough as it is to complete for alot of FS. I feel that adding more badges to the pit would only complicate things further and cause more stress for planning / completion then there already is. Even if its just coins, wonders, and guards. At what point do potions, wands, and hats get added? I would rather that once in the pit the badges that are no longer needed are no longer available to be produced. Sure its more coding but I think it would be an improvement to the FA experience in general.

Kekune

I suggest they have a fourth rotation of sacks of coins, Elvarian guard, and wonder society badges.
I would be strongly against this idea.

coin badges and wonder society badges would prompt people to help neighbors when they may not have done so before, thereby meeting new friends.
If a fellowship is strong enough to reach the pit, they've probably already got a swap system. They'll just donate to each other. There's no benefit to neighbors from this.

The Elvarian guard badge would help people who have never fought to consider it, with all the masses of troops they acquired. That would increase one more aspect of game play, thereby retaining interest in the game rather than getting bored with catering.
I doubt that people who choose catering as a strategy get bored with it. Instead, this would be another element that forces people to build their cities in a certain way. I think that's more likely to cause frustration and other negatives than to encourage retention.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I like the idea. I like that maybe there would be another push toward neighborhood interaction. And contrary to what many might think, there are a lot of caterers out there. With the new tourney changes, any incentive to help players to broaden their playing strategy would be a good thing. I started off catering everything.... I learned to fight. Now I fight regularly and only cater when I'm too lazy or out of troops.

NightshadeCS

Can I ask, why are so many posts being tagged "voting" when we are not voting on them?

@Xelenia , can you fix the tag on this post?

I am mostly against this suggestion.

One reason is that I feel those badges are too easy to obtain by doing nothing but collecting and doing swaps as normal. I feel that the Pit is a caveat to us since we have to make at least a bit of special effort to get those first 9 badges (and they were very nice not to include Statues, since those would halt people too quickly).

I get so many of those badges that I would certainly still be left with a bunch of them left over once the rotation gets stuck on Blacksmiths or Necklaces. No one would ever get stuck on that set, since you could immediately go and obtain (or donate) what was needed to get another one, no time limit.

Darielle

Can I ask, why are so many posts being tagged "voting" when we are not voting on them?

@Xelenia , can you fix the tag on this post?

I am mostly against this suggestion.

One reason is that I feel those badges are too easy to obtain by doing nothing but collecting and doing swaps as normal. I feel that the Pit is a caveat to us since we have to make at least a bit of special effort to get those first 9 badges (and they were very nice not to include Statues, since those would halt people too quickly).

I get so many of those badges that I would certainly still be left with a bunch of them left over once the rotation gets stuck on Blacksmiths or Necklaces. No one would ever get stuck on that set, since you could immediately go and obtain (or donate) what was needed to get another one, no time limit.
Yes, I was thinking that it was strange to have a "voting" tag, but I saw the other post had one so I figured that it was the same category. If Xelenia wants to take it off the posts that aren't voting, I have no objection.

Darielle

I would be strongly against this idea.

If a fellowship is strong enough to reach the pit, they've probably already got a swap system. They'll just donate to each other. There's no benefit to neighbors from this.

I doubt that people who choose catering as a strategy get bored with it. Instead, this would be another element that forces people to build their cities in a certain way. I think that's more likely to cause frustration and other negatives than to encourage retention.
I thank you for your thoughts. I didn't think of the swap, so that's a good point. As far as catering, I got bored with it, and learned to fight a long time afterward. I started fighting basically because I started getting those badges in the FA and figured I'd use them. That's when I stumbled into fighting. Not everyone is the same though. Different strokes.

Darielle

While this doesn't seem to be a popular idea, I am still grateful for everyone who weighed in. Thanks.

StarLoad

Actually I like the idea or some variation that brings in the guard, wonder, and coin to be valued rather than being discarded. However, not all FA types use the wonder so maybe something else could work?

Blindsider66

I can't see a fourth stage being added to the FA, mostly because it is a social game. The trend is moving away from social, and shifting the emphasis to the individual in popular gaming. No different than here, the Spire and tournaments have already made changes to conform with the trend.
There are some players that won't participate in FA's because the game is so social. They feel it takes the control out of their hands.
Have a good weekend.

Peace.
Blindsider66

StarLoad

I can't see a fourth stage being added to the FA, mostly because it is a social game. The trend is moving away from social, and shifting the emphasis to the individual in popular gaming. No different than here, the Spire and tournaments have already made changes to conform with the trend.
There are some players that won't participate in FA's because the game is so social. They feel it takes the control out of their hands.
Have a good weekend.

Peace.
Blindsider66
You are contradicting yourself "no cause it's a social game" & "shifting to individuals in popular gaming" & 'Spire and Tourneychanged to conform with this trend" yet all the changes made are to encourage more team play, not individual....

There are always "some players that won't participate" enter any number of reasons and that has nothing to do with adding a fourth stage?

StarLoad

@Darielle Your Idea has merit, if the Devs are not able/willing to include all badges then your idea makes even more sense. Doing 3 or 4 turns in the pit should not matter at all. It is all about what badges you have and what you can make. Just because a few don't like the idea, please keep it alive, and give the broader population a chance to see the merit of it.

Darielle

@Darielle Your Idea has merit, if the Devs are not able/willing to include all badges then your idea makes even more sense. Doing 3 or 4 turns in the pit should not matter at all. It is all about what badges you have and what you can make. Just because a few don't like the idea, please keep it alive, and give the broader population a chance to see the merit of it.
Thank you, Ed. I appreciate your kind words.

Alpha Lyrae

I like the idea. Once in the pit, I'm still claiming all badges so that when a needed badge is complete I can easily see the notification. (If I have a coin sack that's been complete, but don't claim the badge, then the notification remains and I can't see when a pit badge has been completed.) Also, it pains me to have *so* many unused badges. So, so many.

Darielle

I like the idea. Once in the pit, I'm still claiming all badges so that when a needed badge is complete I can easily see the notification. (If I have a coin sack that's been complete, but don't claim the badge, then the notification remains and I can't see when a pit badge has been completed.) Also, it pains me to have *so* many unused badges. So, so many.
Me too!

Yogi Dave

Yes, I was thinking that it was strange to have a "voting" tag, but I saw the other post had one so I figured that it was the same category. If Xelenia wants to take it off the posts that aren't voting, I have no objection.
No one except Xelenia should label an idea as voting. Voting means has a specific meaning - that there is a poll in place. She has already changed another thread to not be marked as voting. At least that thread was about adding a 3rd option for voting. Please, don't add the burden on her to come up with an appropriate prefix. If you can @Darielle, please change the prefix. It doesn't really matter that someone else has chosen to use an incorrect prefix. Personally, I'd like it to not be an option in the tag list, just as "Forwarded" and a few others are not it the list. @Xelenia, can the "Voting" prefix be removed as a choice in the list?

Darielle

No one except Xelenia should label an idea as voting. Voting means has a specific meaning - that there is a poll in place. She has already changed another thread to not be marked as voting. At least that thread was about adding a 3rd option for voting. Please, don't add the burden on her to come up with an appropriate prefix. If you can @Darielle, please change the prefix. It doesn't really matter that someone else has chosen to use an incorrect prefix. Personally, I'd like it to not be an option in the tag list, just as "Forwarded" and a few others are not it the list. @Xelenia, can the "Voting" prefix be removed as a choice in the list?
After Nightshade objected, I tried to eliminate the Voting category, but I got a popup saying that it was needed. I couldn't find a category that fit, such as "suggestions" so I left it. Now I just changed it to "other" and that seems to work, although I don't think it's an appropriate tag, either. :(