• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ambassadors should not......

Smooper

I don't know how "new" you are Quixotique but you can't possibly know how the interface worked when I did it. Second, your image does not say "accept rewards for the fellowship". How are you supposed to know that by accepting these rewards, that everyone in the alliance is getting them and you move to the next map? Try not being so hostile, this isn't Twitter after all.

Deleted User - 849994935

I don't know how "new" you are Quixotique but you can't possibly know how the interface worked when I did it. Second, your image does not say "accept rewards for the fellowship". How are you supposed to know that by accepting these rewards, that everyone in the alliance is getting them and you move to the next map? Try not being so hostile, this isn't Twitter after all.
I don't do twitter and I'm not being hostile. It just seems reasonable to me that you shouldn't hit the accept button if ur not sure what ur accepting.

Smooper

It tells you the prize you are accepting and I had been playing for a month. To be clear the button could read "accept and move fellowship to next map". I know that is wordy but it certainly isn't clear what is happening and you can see that this isn't clear because this has been a problem forever and the workaround is to make everyone a fellow.

Zoof

Maybe it's a deficiency in the app? In the browser version, there's a warning confirmation that explains in rather lurid detail what happens if you accept that and not only that you're screwing people over if there are any non-participants, but who you're screwing over.

I'm unsure what happens if you click accept when there's 100% participation (EDIT: In the two cities I'm playing, neither fellowship has perfectly 100% participation). Does it give you a warning? Does it just let you slip by with zero confirmation?

It seems that the best way is to make all a fellow during a FA. Unfortunately, my one A Mage takes care of that and did not send us back to fellows. Wrote a message but she was offline. During that time, it was necessary for all to be careful. Everyone was.
Did everyone know what Muffy wrote? You may want to check it out.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Wow... ummm, I am an Archmage in two fellowships. I don't change anyone. I've had a person pull the flag before I thought it should be pulled. The last FA and this one... So, what I've decided to do is start a discussion when the beta event starts so that everyone can have a say.... But I think after getting a list of participants, deciding the goal, like whether we are doing tricolors or just one path or whatever and we have the PLAN laid out, then, I expect that we stick to it. If something happens, it happens. This is a game, after all. I've made mistakes, so I'm not gonna have a fit if someone else makes a mistake. This is a game, after all. We sink our time in it and for sure want all the bells and whistles we can win, but at the same time... I do this for enjoyment, not rank. In the fellowships where I am not an archmage, I don't care what rank I hold. I play the game the same way. I help anyone who needs it, if I can. I do what I can to forward the goals of the fellowship. I write long messages in the chat about the things I find annoying with LOTR, GOT, Star Trek, Star Wars, oh and the Agatha Christie remakes which basically changes the whole backstory... and just do my thing.

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
Wow... ummm, I am an Archmage in two fellowships. I don't change anyone. I've had a person pull the flag before I thought it should be pulled. The last FA and this one... So, what I've decided to do is start a discussion when the beta event starts so that everyone can have a say.... But I think after getting a list of participants, deciding the goal, like whether we are doing tricolors or just one path or whatever and we have the PLAN laid out, then, I expect that we stick to it. If something happens, it happens. This is a game, after all. I've made mistakes, so I'm not gonna have a fit if someone else makes a mistake. This is a game, after all. We sink our time in it and for sure want all the bells and whistles we can win, but at the same time... I do this for enjoyment, not rank. In the fellowships where I am not an archmage, I don't care what rank I hold. I play the game the same way. I help anyone who needs it, if I can. I do what I can to forward the goals of the fellowship. I write long messages in the chat about the things I find annoying with LOTR, GOT, Star Trek, Star Wars, oh and the Agatha Christie remakes which basically changes the whole backstory... and just do my thing.
It is a game so it is counter productive to ever complain about any player, but limiting access to ending a FA level early is just prudent. Upgrading players to any level by the archmage (or mage) is pretty meaningless IMO. I use that primarily for note taking.

I upgrade those to Mage after a player proves to be highly proficient at playing, communicative and a top contributor to the fellowship's goal (3 players right now) These form a cadre of players that see the game objectives similar to the fellowship definition. They become the sounding board to ensure reasonable decision making. I mark a few players as fellows to queue me that the player is on the edge - not meeting minimum performance standards consistently or is brandy new. Ambassadors are members in good standing. BTW, I don't tell the players that. ... and at the FA, I drop all the ambassadors to fellows. I also have never dropped a player that is actually playing, but I will (privately) let a player know that they are not meeting performance standards and the consequences when they don't. I have lost several top performing player because others do not pull their weight. Every fellowship is run differently, but this is what I do. I also am very generous to all fellows - typically accepting virtually all trades as it is after all a game. If you are generous and polite, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Sounds like a Fellowship management issue to me.

Actually it sounds like a game management issue to me.

to me it should be like this:
  • Archmages and Mages are the top tier, those are the positions where you can both benefit and hurt the fellowship.
  • ambassadors are premium mebers,they should have the any right that cannot hurt the felowship but have rights where they can benefit but not hurt.
  • Members, no rights whatsoever
Now the issue is that some hurtfull features are unclocked for the ambassadors (unlocking FA maps) and cannot contribue to non damaging suff (add perkpoints in tournaments and spire)

the fact that most fellowships demote everyone ot members in an FA tells you there is something wrong with the FA. not with he management.
And it absolutely sucks that as a (A)M you need to consantly watch tournamernt and spire to be able to add the points and need to be online when event ends because of adding in needed. why can't ambassadors do that?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I don't do twitter and I'm not being hostile. It just seems reasonable to me that you shouldn't hit the accept button if ur not sure what ur accepting.
Here's the thing I get out of this: the person accepting the awards may have been quite sure that he/she was accepting the awards for himself/herself at the moment he/she clicked on the accept button. Or they may not have been certain. Either way, guessing a persons emotional state (certain/uncertain) is tricky business, especially if you don't know what the person knows or doesn't know about the situation at the time they make the decision. Experience teaches us about the circumstances but before the lessons are fully learned we may think we know something when we are mistaken. And, frankly, unless you are very unusual it's unlikey you too, haven't thought something was X, made a decision based upon your certainty it was X, and then found it was Y.

AJ

It has come to my attention today that anyone with the Ambassadors level has the ability to use and reset PERKS and also has the ability to open chests in the Fellowship Adventures. This MUST change.. Someone in our FS just decided to open the chest while we had been communicating in chat that we expected to grab the tricolors before we left Map 2. Unfortunately some people do not read and just go ahead and do. Only Mages and Archmages should have this ability.

Please fix this issue..
In our FS we simply adjust all members not Mage or above to Fellows to avoid that from happening. Works like a charm. :}

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I guess I go with the flow. Its the benefit of having a whiskey sour or wine whilst I play. If it bothers the other fellowship members, then I will address it, until it is a real problem for the rest, I won't start an issue. I like the people that I play with in every single fellowship I'm in and I play in all the worlds, so I hate to lose a single one especially over something like this. I act by consensus.

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
the fact that most fellowships demote everyone ot members in an FA tells you there is something wrong with the FA. not with he management.
And it absolutely sucks that as a (A)M you need to consantly watch tournamernt and spire to be able to add the points and need to be online when event ends because of adding in needed. why can't ambassadors do that?
I have a somewhat different perspective on managing a fellowship. It is like herding cats. Getting everyone on board understanding when to apply fellowship reserves and when to go to the next level on the FA is too many people to get all on board. I have daily players but some I am fully convinced some have limitations in their abilities - by that I mean they are differently abled. I accept people for what they are. You never really know most of the people in your fellowship. If you can groom 2 or 3 to actually help manage the fellowship, you are doing well. If you can groom 5 or 10 - God love you - I don't have that ability. I need to take what I can get when filling out the roster. If they produce in the Tourney, are polite and climb the spire a bit - that is a win. Expecting them to understand all the nuances of fellowship group efforts when mine is probably the first high level fellowship they joined is not what I expect. If they are "experienced', that too often means serial quitters. I call that "add" a loss most of the time. My fellowship is #35, but that still means there are 34 fellowships that are in at least in one way better than mine.

If a player hasn't previously managed a fellowship, most players only learn the hard way. BTW when I demote a player for the FA, I always ask if the player wants that ability. If they do, they remain an Ambassador. Managing a fellowship is a lot of work and I am not sure redefining the abilities of different levels adds much - abilities are far more complex that 4 categories and adding complexity would hurt more than help in my considered opinion. But however INNO decides to change the game, I will adjust. I am just unsure what you might propose as an improvement and whether it actually will improve game play and ease the management of fellowships. Frankly, one of the reason I added more mages is so they could manage the key items you defined and I added Aussie (as a Mage) in particular to handle the night shift. As ArchMage, I concentrate on recruiting and keeping my roster full of happy and productive players. Ideally, my mages handle the rest.

Last edited:

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
It just seems reasonable to me that you shouldn't hit the accept button if ur not sure what ur accepting.
I find many players learn the interface by hitting buttons and seeing what happens. It would be nice if what you suggest is true. but I just don't find it to be true. Also real people make make mistakes. I have learned that getting upset when that happens has no productive outcomes. Preventing it, does.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I am just going to try a true planning session and making sure everyone knows what we are doing and when we are moving on. It was suggested to me that we do a timer. For the first stage, we do what we can in 24hrs and then move on and space the next at 48hrs. That seems to work for some fellowships, so it can't hurt to give it a try, right?

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
I am just going to try a true planning session and making sure everyone knows what we are doing and when we are moving on. It was suggested to me that we do a timer. For the first stage, we do what we can in 24hrs and then move on and space the next at 48hrs. That seems to work for some fellowships, so it can't hurt to give it a try, right?
Every individual and group is unique. I hope your plan works for you.

I found that for my group, the plans progressed over time. Our latest iterations in reverse order were.

1. Do all of stages 1&2, then all tricolors on stage 3 and move on to the pit (finished #17)
2. Do all of stages 1,2&3 and move onto the pit (#23)
3. Do all of Stages 1&2 and one path on Tier 3 or do all 3 tiers completely (if possible) (#53-#90)
4. Do all stages on tier 1 and one path on tier 2 - then failed to complete one path on tier 3

I found over time, that if you have trouble doing all of a prior stage, you likely cannot complete the next stage in the FA. The last lesson was that those last few dots above the 2nd set of tricolors gain 300 points each but those 300 points is easier to win in the pit if you keep the big piles of difficult items needed in the last few dots.

Good Luck for next time @SoulsSilhouette

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
Our standard for the AM:
1. Have in-depth discussions with all leadership to make decisions on group strategy/directions.
2. Be willing to take the time to continue the discussions until everyone is on the same page.
3. Solicit input from the general membership on preferred strategy/direction.
4. Present all group strategy/directions to general membership; use 'we' and 'us' language as opposed to 'I' and 'you' language.
5. Keep abreast of upcoming changes in all game mechanics to keep leadership/members up to date on game progression.
I am the AM, but my criterion (from playing D&D applying to Dungeon Masters) would be as follows:
  1. the AM (or Dungeon Master) makes all the rules
  2. If we don't like the rules, we don't have to play in his world (or fellowship)
I never worry about what I cannot change and no one other than the AM can change the AM. BTW, an AM that doesn't follow the general rules you suggest will not have many adherents (rule 2 in my simplified list). As AM, I take suggestions well, but not orders. I also never require anyone to respond or express an opinion, although I do solicit input on many topics. I also respect those that exercise my rule #2 and always solicit their reasoning for leaving to improve performance and retention. I do what I can concerning your other guidelines but I try to avoid the words "all", "none", "never" and "every" in any set of guidelines.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 849994935

I find many players learn the interface by hitting buttons and seeing what happens. It would be nice if what you suggest is true. but I just don't find it to be true. Also real people make make mistakes. I have learned that getting upset when that happens has no productive outcomes. Preventing it, does.
Yep, I see your point. My comment was more about the misconception that just touching the chest accepts the rewards. They made a mistake but it wasn't an accident imo. Others may think there's no difference btwn the 2.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
How do you accidentally accept the prizes when you have to open the chest then hit the big green accept button?
View attachment 12854
I agree and disagree. No, it isn't accidental, but yes, it is accidental, in that the newer players don't realize that by accepting gifts (and what new person doesn't want to accept gifts?) they will be ruining the game play of their teammates. Even if they are told not to pull the flag, a lot of them don't realize that's what they're doing. Or I've known some older people to get flustered when they accidentally pull the flag and then accept because they're flustered and not thinking. So maybe it's both accidental and not accidental, lol.

Last edited:

Smooper

@Darielle Do you find that "older people" make lots of mistakes? LOL I find it funny. Yeah, I am old but I am not sure my age causes my mistakes...maybe forgetfullness but not the just misunderstanding. Also, I have lots of old people in my fellowship. We could be in big trouble if they come up with a new type of event.