• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ancient wonders what's best?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

Can anyone give me a rundown on the benefits of the ancient wonders? I have gotten some information at one time or other in the forums, but would like a more complete guide on all of them.For example, Thrones of the High Men does not seem for me as I'm not interested in ranking points and that's all that it seems good for. So I am aware of the AW's depending on your game style but I'd like to have something to look at that will give me a good idea of what to pick to fit my kind of game play.
Thanks.

HJK84

DeletedUser9601

The links are helpful, but I consider a few AWs to be absolute musts.
-Golden Abyss the moment it begins to be more pop/sq than a normal residence (usually around Ch 5 for most people)
-Martial Monastery/Sanctuary
-Endless Excavation
-Prosperity Towers
These 4 wonders transcend playstyle. You always need pop and supplies, no matter what.

Honestly, if you are even remotely active in tournaments, every military AW makes sense. And if you have more than 1-2 of each factory, Mountain Halls makes sense.

Throne of High Men is trash. You're right to ignore it.

DeletedUser8946

I'm not sure I agree with Tedious... Golden Abyss is ALWAYS great, no matter what. But Monastery's one you can live without, and the Excavation is pretty weak in my opinion. But everything past the Golden Abyss depends on how you play.

DeletedUser5521

Monastery's one you can live without
This is absolutely true for any player who has no interest in fighting--ever. This is not necessarily true for players who are strong military type players. For those of us who fight, I would consider the Monastery/Sanctuary the first of the "must have" AWs. But that, of course, is playstyle dependent ;)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Must haves:
  • Endless
  • ToS
  • PT
each of those is better than a workshop, so they are no-brainers.
  • GA
  • Mountain halls
Space savers plain and simple.

If you fight(which you should as it is much more efficient than catering in tournaments) then
  1. Monastery
  2. Shrine of shrewdy
  3. Bulwark
The monastery gives you an edge in the tournament for all troops in all fights. The SS and bulwark save you from needing 10-15 armories.
Other military buildings are all pretty good. Needles probably better than the rest, then a tie between FA, VS, toads, with heroes last.

Special buildings:
  • Dragon Abbey: This can save you anywhere from zero to 10 expansions depending on playstyle. You can use spells to get mana, greatly reducing or even removing the need for mana buildings in your city.
  • Blooming Trader: If you get this right away and maintain it, it can really help get you through the guest races quicker, especially those with hard caps on production like S&D and Amuni.

Kinda "Meh":
  • Watchtower: if you are doing events, and upgrading streets you shouldn't need the culture
  • lighthouse:^
  • elvenar trade: seeds aren't that big a problem in elementals, and not at all in Amuni, especially if you grab a few event buildings
  • sunset towers:^
  • lighthouse(other) Mana isn't really an issue if you have the dragon abbey.
  • maze: ^
  • enars: If you happen to get the runes, build it until you can replace it with the Dragon Abbey
That just leaves the thrones, which as mentioned is pretty crap. Oh and the pyramid. Not sure about that one since you only get it when you finish the tech tree and sentient goods are useless until the next chapter is released. I guess if you have room, grab it just for the free troops every 3h.

Last edited:

DeletedUser9601

I put Monastery because ultimately you can't be "no fight" and succeed at end game. You're either going to progress absurdly slow, or be so limited in tournament that you fall behind everyone else in KP, relics and spells. Not to mention event quests.

If you're coming to the forums for help, I assume you're someone looking to maximize your results. And "no fight" doesn't fit that.

DeletedUser9601

I guess if you have room, grab it just for the free troops every 3h.
Yep.

And for the "other" military AWs, I tell folks in my FS to get the ones you have the runes for levelled up. Better to spend 300 KP for getting Toads from level 4 to 6 than spending 800 KP for one more level of MM

DeletedUser9601

I'm not sure I agree with Tedious... Golden Abyss is ALWAYS great, no matter what. But Monastery's one you can live without, and the Excavation is pretty weak in my opinion. But everything past the Golden Abyss depends on how you play.
Excavation is more supplies than a workshop in the same footprint. And it costs no pop and no culture. It's really good for what it does, assuming you log on once a day.

SoggyShorts

Yep.
And for the "other" military AWs, I tell folks in my FS to get the ones you have the runes for levelled up. Better to spend 300 KP for getting Toads from level 4 to 6 than spending 800 KP for one more level of MM
Great tip! That "free" level is sweet. Later in the game, it is also nice to get one wonder to level 5 that you don't have runes for so that you aren't sitting forever with a full 10/10 broken rune shard bar.

DeletedUser19598

I see the endless excavation as the best wonder to get supplies, the towers of prosperity are strictly better but you have to start 5 times every three hours to be better than the endless dig. Unless someone is super active the endless excavation is the best option.

On the other hand I would like advice on the ToS, I know that it gives many provisions but the time of exploration grows more and more and more and I think that to be a useful marvel has to be explored every day or not? Someone who is very advanced in the game can tell me if it's worth it? Is it always feasible to explore without stopping? Until what time can the exploration arrive? And at what level do we have to have the ToS? I have nothing clear about the utility of this marvel

DeletedUser3507

Pretty weak lol my EE lvl 12 produces 323k tools per day, so if you call that weak go for it..;)

DeletedUser8946

True, but it takes a LOT of KP to upgrade it that far. I built my Excavation then replaced it with Prosperity Towers, since they're literally the same size. I eventually brought it back, but I'd rather pour money into my Towers then Excavation, since I'm usually on 4 times every 12 hours. Level 4 times a day for a Level 12 Prosperity Towers gives you a LOT of supplies, I'm pretty sure more. (Feel free to check my math). And if not, the boost of PoP spells makes all the difference.

DeletedUser19598

It costs exactly the same kp to go up EE and PT, at level 10 EE offers 8% and TP 2%, and it is always quadruple at all levels so for TP to be better you have to enter at least 5 times a day at 15h so that it starts to be better than EE. On the other hand is the subject of the pp spell, but that depends on the utility that each one gives.

@SoggyShorts Do you have any idea how long the exploration in advanced chapters can last? I have read cases of people who have the explorer in more than 50 hours, the idea would be that ToS will take a long time before erasing it from the city due to the excess of exploration time. Or better yet, is there a formula to estimate exploration times?

DeletedUser12430

For me, I wanted all of the Wonders that gave me cool buildings on the cliff wall. Then I realized what they all do.

Golden Abyss - Population
Mountain Halls - Population

Endless Excavation - Provides Supplies for each Scout - I used this until I didnt really need the extra supplies, and I replaced it with Enar's Embassy-which gives Mana for each scout, plus a rune shard a week.
Prosperity Towers - Supplies. This Wonder produces a good amount of supplies, and it also makes your power of provision spells last longer.

I like Free Troops, so for me...
Dwarven Bulwarks - Free Light Melee units
Shrine of the Shrewdy Shrooms - Free Light Ranged units
There are several more that give free troops...Heros Forge, Flying Academy...There are also others that help with Military, Martial Monastery, Needles of the Tempast. They are good...I just personally dont use them.

Blooming Trader Guild - Helps with your Portal Production, as well as with trades, but I really only appreciate the Portal Production Boost.

Everyone has the list of personal favorites, but thats mine.

DeletedUser2207

Tome of Secrets is not my favorite AW for higher chapters, but considering it only costs 888 KP to get to level 6, and at level 6 it gives up to 730 kp over a year, it's essentially free to upgrade to that point. And at level 6, with max Amuni main hall, it gives 408K supplies every time I send a scout out, ties up no population or culture, and uses only 16 squares of space. I don't send a scout out very often, but I figure all that's worth 16 squares of space :)

DeletedUser19598

Can I know what is your current exploration time? And if you have the data of the number of provinces explored, I would greatly appreciate it
Tome of Secrets is not my favorite AW for higher chapters, but considering it only costs 888 KP to get to level 6, and at level 6 it gives up to 730 kp over a year, it's essentially free to upgrade to that point. And at level 6, with max Amuni main hall, it gives 408K supplies every time I send a scout out, ties up no population or culture, and uses only 16 squares of space. I don't send a scout out very often, but I figure all that's worth 16 squares of space :)

DeletedUser12430

Until not very long ago, my list of wonders was ToS, GA, Endless ex, Needles, Martial M, Crystal L. Then Dwarven B, Mountain H, Prosperity T, Blooming T & Heros F. Once I got Shrooms, I sold Heros F. Then I was stuck. I could not advance because I had no room to do so. I realized that all my space was being used by Wonders. I collected them like some sort of token you get out of a pack of cards or something..
I sold off my ToS, Endless Ex, Needles, Martial M and the Crystal L. This left me with a fair array or wonders, but cleared a TON of space. I have advanced 10 fold since doing this.
Everyone has a this is the best one, or a that is the best one, and I'd probably agree with ya, or I'd disagree with ya. Either-way, .https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/the-ancient-wonders is an amazing guide on all them! And you cant really disagree with that! :)

SoggyShorts

Do you have any idea how long the exploration in advanced chapters can last?
61h at 461 provinces explored for me.

Basically in the early chapters when scout times are short it is a huge supply boost, far more than EE and PT which aren't available anyways.
Also, you do need somewhere to put KP when you are stuck, and the GA isn't better than a house until somewhere around dwarves.
Then in later chapters getting 400K+ supplies and 2 KP per day is still awesome.
Finally in the end game, even if you stopped scouting, 2 KP in 16 squares isn't terrible, and reaching that endgame takes about 2 years.

I didn't get the ToS until the wonder rebalancing, and I was already mid game yet it was still easily worth it.

The bottom line is that it isn't a matter of "which one should I get" because without exception everyone should get all 3.
You need about 10 Workshops worth of supplies for the average city, and replacing 3 of those with 3 wonders that don't require and pop or culture is simple math.
Level 31 WS = 36,000 supplies on 24h, 7K on 1h
Level 6 EE = 200,000 supplies
Level 6 PT = 50,000
Level 6 ToS = 400,000

Have a look at @Candacefey's city. A workshop is the same size as the EE, and needs almost a whole 15 squares or housing plus culture for it.
If that WS is run every 3 hours it still makes 15,000 fewer supplies than a level 1 EE.
LINK <----- check this out and swap the EE out for the WS and Res, check the "Report" and the "production" drop down

To beat a wonder with a workshop you need to make bread 24/7 or have a PoP spell running.:p
It might FEEL like you save space when you delete a wonder, but if it's one of the 3 supply wonders you'd get WAY more space if you delete a workshop and house instead