• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

[Archived 02/2020] News from Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I read somewhere that the difference between beta and live quests will be a second sequential questline for live (and a reduction in the value of tickets picked up off the ground).
I wonder why they would do this. It can't be to defeat spoilers, since there will certainly be a hero somewhere in the world who will complete and share the questline in a couple of days anyways.

DeletedUser5800

I wonder why they would do this. It can't be to defeat spoilers, since there will certainly be a hero somewhere in the world who will complete and share the questline in a couple of days anyways
Yeah but that assumes they thought about it for more than 10 seconds... it could only be to delay spoilers and fits with the dailies changing from beta to live. As far as I can tell the whole new thing is to break planning, which sucks because I like planning... but I can also see where it would benefit them more if less people can. ;)

DeletedUser12171

I wonder why they would do this. It can't be to defeat spoilers, since there will certainly be a hero somewhere in the world who will complete and share the questline in a couple of days anyways.

Given that you, and others, have often stated that you "finish the event the day it came out", this seems to be a perfect move to stem that. You won't be able to plan for the tasks because you don't know the tasks and in what order. Unless someone spams diamonds, no way they are going to finish it in "couple of days"

SoggyShorts

As far as I can tell the whole new thing is to break planning, which sucks because I like planning... but I can also see where it would benefit them more if less people can. ;)
Bleh.:(
There's only so much city design tweaking I can do, if they completely remove the ability to plan and strategize for events, I'm not sure there'd be enough left for me.

I had the most fun when I was making walkthrough guides (before the time of GoK)
Like these where there would be 100+ players looking at the sheets at any given time:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D0RdzfSJrpxx53UpFT43yYK1oMBULx-CuJIUyDnpOrw/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ygO5R0ePHnX41eok65XIUKIAol5BKvWqWVzC10C_eP0/edit?usp=sharing

SoggyShorts

Given that you, and others, have often stated that you "finish the event the day it came out", this seems to be a perfect move to stem that. You won't be able to plan for the tasks because you don't know the tasks and in what order. Unless someone spams diamonds, no way they are going to finish it in "couple of days"
But why? It;s not like us hardcore strategists are suddenly going to spend diamonds.

I don't see how removing the fun for some makes the game better.
Is there really going to be an uptick in diamond sales because players will get stuck on quests that they couldn;t plan for?

HJK84

This is the opposite direction of one of my suggestion threads.
Which was about giving a small prize (like diamonds) to people who sprinted through these events, having a standings system, similar to FS Adventures.

I figure instead of giving out similar prizes of the FSA to these events, they decided to add in the roulette chests, fill them with prizes and allow players to gain things they want. Of course they added some luck to it also, which gives Inno the upper hand.

Specially with not being able to plan ahead... Imo. this only means less people will get to the GP's, less people will hunt events (specially those who don't spend), BUT BUT BUT, more people might spend to complete it, or spend to get what they want from the event.

As I stated before, I commend them for this new way of event planning. But it might be a Trojan Horse :eek:
My cynical side is showing, but boy would I love to be proven wrong :confused:

DeletedUser12171

But why? It;s not like us hardcore strategists are suddenly going to spend diamonds.

I don't see how removing the fun for some makes the game better.
Is there really going to be an uptick in diamond sales because players will get stuck on quests that they couldn;t plan for?

The "noble" reason I can think of would be, the intended user experience for these events are meant to be one of surprise, discovery and "excitement" of meeting the goal on time.

The not-so-noble reason, draconian has already suggested above. Being put in a bind could entice "fence-sitter" type of players to spend to get their desired prize

As to the real reasons, you'll have to ask the devs and see if they are willing to divulge

DeletedUser3122

No matter what method they use to make events, the one that will make no difference whatsoever, is for those who spend diamonds. They won't have to jump through the game hoops that the rest of us (non-diamond spenders) do. Financial hoops yes. Preparing in advance or not, diamond spenders will subvert the need to plan or be surprised. Ultimately, that's the bottom line anyway.

In some way, I agree with Soggy. Those of us who are willing to plan in advance and make it go quickly should be able to do so, because we don't spend diamonds that make it go quickly. Why draw it out if someone is willing to put the work into it?

dikke ikke

yes it will be harder to plan, especially the high level upgrades(upgrade building to level 12 or above, or even higher) and the scout a province. These are quests that take long for advanced players and knowing when to start to prepare for such a quest is now as good as impossible. But quest for T1 48, 24, 9, 3 hours can be prepared, even so for T1 sets 24, 9, 3 hours or workshop 24, 9, 3 hours. Based on previous events you can make a calculated guess of how much how much buildings you will need to prepare for these quest. Unfortunately the space you will need will only be available if you are at the end of a level, so to have enough space to prepare for a big event you better be at the end of a level.

Arayla

On Beta using mobile, we can now put KP into our own AWs! Can also view the production time (if that AW has it, for example Dwarven Bulwark), and can start an upgrade. The ability to donate to another player's AW will be implemented later.

maeter75

On Beta using mobile, we can now put KP into our own AWs! Can also view the production time (if that AW has it, for example Dwarven Bulwark), and can start an upgrade. The ability to donate to another player's AW will be implemented later.
OMW that is so great. Nothing worse then seeing your KP filled out and not being able to donate to ones own AW.

DeletedUser5800

The "noble" reason I can think of would be, the intended user experience for these events are meant to be one of surprise, discovery and "excitement" of meeting the goal on time.
I'll acknowledge that, trojan horse or not, there will be a group (and probably a substantial one) that just think 'oooo a horse!' One thing I have learned with absolute certainty, in this game and in life, is that for everything that pisses me off to no end because I actually looked at it, there are at least three people delighted by it that didn't look on purpose. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

DeletedUser12171

I'll acknowledge that, trojan horse or not, there will be a group (and probably a substantial one) that just think 'oooo a horse!' One thing I have learned with absolute certainty, in this game and in life, is that for everything that pisses me off to no end because I actually looked at it, there are at least three people delighted by it that didn't look on purpose. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

and there're those like me who don't care either way because this is just a game

DeletedUser12171

But.... I would figure that those playing a game would still care whether a change made it more or less fun, specifically because it is a game.

perhaps so, for some people. to me, however, money spent on the game has served its purpose. I don't mean to say I spend indiscriminately. I've bought diamonds three times in the past year, always with a promotion. I spent a majority on expansions, and the rest on a Lv5 MA and BH and a smattering of magic res/ws, all of which I consider to be wise buys. Considering all that cost me in the region of at least $150 in the past year, I consider myself an average spender - not a whale, but not too little either.

However, how I view the game is, it's just a game. I don't sweat things like that. When I spend on a game like this, I know it's money I'll never see again, so the moment I click on "make payment", I'm at peace with it. To me, a game is a game is a game - I could walk away from it right now and not feel a sense of loss or waste, because I feel I got my money's worth already. So whatever changes come, I take it as it is. At the moment, things are still fun enough that I continue to play as a form of entertainment, but should they get to a point one day where I don't feel it's worth it, I'll just take my leave in peace. I do make posts about various topics at times, but as you probably can tell from my replies, I care little about the reception of those ideas. I just don't find it a worth of my time and energy to campaign for or against anything here, so I leave that to those who do care enough. Might sound pretty "bleak", but truth is, I've got much bigger things to worry about in life than whether a game is fun or not, so that's just what it is to me - a game

Edit: I initially read (too quickly I guess) Soggy's reply as referring to people who paid to play, hence the first paragraph in this post. The rest of this post stands as is

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5800

and there're those like me who don't care either way because this is just a game

But.... I would figure that those playing a game would still care whether a change made it more or less fun, specifically because it is a game.

I'm just using one of my smaller ones to prep like I know anyway and see what happens, I'll at least have a good idea on my main where I do actually have to think ahead occasionally. IF they want to break our ability to plan, I'll just plan around that. :D
It pretty much looks like when I know what's coming... Some T1 boost of various times, some workshops of various times and some T1 sets, spells and some stuff ready to upgrade, troops set, encounters available, pocket full of time instants just in case... I've probably way over prepared... and it was almost fun for like half an hour. :p
upload_2018-6-21_11-55-27.png

It also has the bright side of me not bothering to even look at that account until the event starts. LOL

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Just making sure I'm understanding this. For the event we will not be able to plan ahead and we will not know what chests will come up. Kind of like a slot machine? I always spend $ on events but if that is the direction it is going I'm done with it. Not a chance I'm spending if I don't know if I will get the prizes I always felt I was making sure I got even if it was buying them.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Just making sure I'm understanding this. For the event we will not be able to plan ahead and we will not know what chests will come up. Kind of like a slot machine? I always spend $ on events but if that is the direction it is going I'm done with it. Not a chance I'm spending if I don't know if I will get the prizes I always felt I was making sure I got even if it was buying them.

That is not necessarily so. The Event may have a very different shape when it reaches Live Worlds. They said as much! It may even have two quest lines not one; we will have to wait and see.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Good news! The Mobile App now has limited Ancient Wonders functions (Beta World only for now).
Players can now give KP to their own Wonders but not friends – and can't use Ancient Knowledge Instants yet.

For this reason, it would appear, the Summer Event is delayed (because many of the prizes are Instants) – and a round of Fellowship Adventures will start on June 25th.

Please feel free to share this video with your friends and fellowship - and if you wish to be notified when we post similar news videos, click Like and Subscribe under the video on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.