• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Archmage

Kekune

I understand that. Unfortunately, our Archmage had been away for personal reasons and had not been attentive. Then, one day last week she messaged me and said she was leaving and I should take the position. Then she disappeared before I could reply. I'm really not sure what to do.
That sounds like you got a tough job handed to you. First, do you WANT to be AM? It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't, that's ok. It got dumped on you without warning, and it is ok to ask other group members to take it. If nobody wants to lead, then it is ok to disband the group (with notice, of course) so you can be a fellow in another one. Or, do what Ashrem suggests, above. Merge with another group that has an AM who wants the job, and they'll be glad you don't want to fight them for the title.

If you stay as the AM of your group, determine what you'll call "inactive." Some groups use two weeks with no visible activity, score change, neighborly help, etc. Some groups are more strict, others less so. Make your criteria clear to the group, maybe ask them to help you define it if they're willing to give input. Then start enforcing the new expectation.

Players who you're sure are gone, you can simply remove. People you're on the fence about, write and ask them to respond if they are still here and want to stay. Then you can feel comfortable (a) that you tried to reach them, and (b) that your group understands you have a method and aren't just randomly booting people. Then you remove players who don't respond to your message, perhaps with a follow-up message that you would love to have them back if they ever return to the game.

truelinor

OK, I know I said we keep people around for a while to give NH to, but I guess I wasn't thinking it was that many. I was talking about one or two players. 7 out of 18 is too many. (I think those were the numbers) At any rate, if I were you, I would kick out the 5 who had been gone the longest and maybe wait around for the other two for a little while. But if you have the opportunity to merge (as discussed) with another fellowship I would get rid of them first.

I would also message everyone in the fellowship and tell them what's going on and if you don't feel up to being the Archmage, perhaps ask if there is any interest in the group. If you don't feel good about asking the whole group, then ask a few of the ones you do feel good about. The thing is, just because she left it to you, doesn't mean you have to keep it if you don't want to or don't feel you have time for it, or could do it justice, or whatever reason, you know?

Bethanne Rainbow

That sounds like you got a tough job handed to you. First, do you WANT to be AM? It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't, that's ok. It got dumped on you without warning, and it is ok to ask other group members to take it. If nobody wants to lead, then it is ok to disband the group (with notice, of course) so you can be a fellow in another one. Or, do what Ashrem suggests, above. Merge with another group that has an AM who wants the job, and they'll be glad you don't want to fight them for the title.

If you stay as the AM of your group, determine what you'll call "inactive." Some groups use two weeks with no visible activity, score change, neighborly help, etc. Some groups are more strict, others less so. Make your criteria clear to the group, maybe ask them to help you define it if they're willing to give input. Then start enforcing the new expectation.

Players who you're sure are gone, you can simply remove. People you're on the fence about, write and ask them to respond if they are still here and want to stay. Then you can feel comfortable (a) that you tried to reach them, and (b) that your group understands you have a method and aren't just randomly booting people. Then you remove players who don't respond to your message, perhaps with a follow-up message that you would love to have them back if they ever return to the game.
I think I'm going to give it a try. I am retired and sheltering in place for now. I do have time!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I have found, over a long period of leading all kinds of fellowships, alliances, guilds, and packs, the best advice in leadership is the following:

1) Communicate. Talk to people as individuals and as a group. Be present and available in chat and comment on everything that's going on. Take part in discussions even if it's only to ask questions of those who know more than you (and in my fs that's quite a few). Be genuinely interested in your people and let it show. Praise in public, correct in private, and be positive always.

2) Have a goal. This is a mistake I have made very often because I tend to just let things float along as I observe. Different groups need different styles of leadership, but all groups need a reason to exist if they are to become cohesive and fun. I find having a laid back goal the best approach. I don't tend to put time lines on the goal but am constantly reporting/encouraging and helping my fs reach the goal. In the process, whatever pressure you can remove from your active players by helping/instructing and encouraging is useful.

3) Make the hard choices. I've had to let go a large player or two and watch us drop in ranking quite a ways. But if the player isn't able (don't say willing as most are willing but some just can't due to RL or other factors) and after working with them 2 months or so without progress, I quietly inform them it's time to find a fellowship more suited to their style of play. It's never about their attitude or person, but always about the match.

These three things are, I think, good guides to leadership in general. If you notice it's about communication, vision and courage, sensitivity and sacrifice.

AJ

Bethanne Rainbow

I have found, over a long period of leading all kinds of fellowships, alliances, guilds, and packs, the best advice in leadership is the following:

1) Communicate. Talk to people as individuals and as a group. Be present and available in chat and comment on everything that's going on. Take part in discussions even if it's only to ask questions of those who know more than you (and in my fs that's quite a few). Be genuinely interested in your people and let it show. Praise in public, correct in private, and be positive always.

2) Have a goal. This is a mistake I have made very often because I tend to just let things float along as I observe. Different groups need different styles of leadership, but all groups need a reason to exist if they are to become cohesive and fun. I find having a laid back goal the best approach. I don't tend to put time lines on the goal but am constantly reporting/encouraging and helping my fs reach the goal. In the process, whatever pressure you can remove from your active players by helping/instructing and encouraging is useful.

3) Make the hard choices. I've had to let go a large player or two and watch us drop in ranking quite a ways. But if the player isn't able (don't say willing as most are willing but some just can't due to RL or other factors) and after working with them 2 months or so without progress, I quietly inform them it's time to find a fellowship more suited to their style of play. It's never about their attitude or person, but always about the match.

These three things are, I think, good guides to leadership in general. If you notice it's about communication, vision and courage, sensitivity and sacrifice.

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Everyone else gave you such good advice, I don't really have anything to add. But I do want to wish you the best of luck and say that you're coming in this with a great attitude. I think your group will be lucky to have you. You may find that this turns out to be serendipity, and that you enjoy being an AM, especially since you have the time for it. Enjoy it, and make sure to stop in the forum whenever you have questions. This place has been magical for me, and I've learned so much.

Bethanne Rainbow

Everyone else gave you such good advice, I don't really have anything to add. But I do want to wish you the best of luck and say that you're coming in this with a great attitude. I think your group will be lucky to have you. You may find that this turns out to be serendipity, and that you enjoy being an AM, especially since you have the time for it. Enjoy it, and make sure to stop in the forum whenever you have questions. This place has been magical for me, and I've learned so much.
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! I’ll be checking in here!

Bethanne Rainbow

Hi ajqtre! You gave me great advice in July. Thank you! I have reorganized my fellowship, and feel like we have made a big turn around. Several players have quit playing and I have added several more that LOVE the game. However, the problem I am having is that I'm not finding anyone to invite who is actually playing. I've gone thru some thirty names today, and I have found one, maybe, who is playing a little. Mostly, I am coming across a lot of inactive players. Or already in a fellowship. I contacted Support and they say they take people out after they have been inactive for 30 days, but that has not been my experience. They said recruiting is hard, and I know that, but right now it seems impossible. Do you have any words of wisdom? I would be most thankful!
Most Sincerely,
Bethanne

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Hi ajqtre! You gave me great advice in July. Thank you! I have reorganized my fellowship, and feel like we have made a big turn around. Several players have quit playing and I have added several more that LOVE the game. However, the problem I am having is that I'm not finding anyone to invite who is actually playing. I've gone thru some thirty names today, and I have found one, maybe, who is playing a little. Mostly, I am coming across a lot of inactive players. Or already in a fellowship. I contacted Support and they say they take people out after they have been inactive for 30 days, but that has not been my experience. They said recruiting is hard, and I know that, but right now it seems impossible. Do you have any words of wisdom? I would be most thankful!
Most Sincerely,
Bethanne
@Bethanne Rainbow There is a website called Elvenstats.com. It is invaluable for an archmage. You can look up potential members on it. It will tell you if they are active or not. It will also give you a record of their tournament scores. I use this site to screen all incoming players in my fellowships.