• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are all goods of equal value?

gernsey

I'm still relatively new to the game, (just starting chapter3) and i'm working under some assumptions on "goods" -Steel, Silk, Gems etc. Everyone gets assigned a boosted bunch goods when they start their city, randomly, correct? In my case i got Planks -> Scrolls -> Magic Dust. That's random? My wife plays she is Elven, around the same level in game, she got Planks -> Silk -> not sure for her.

I've been trading planks relatively easy with 2 star "even" trades steel/marble, but when it comes to trading scrolls the same "2 star even" trades crystal/silk seem to be sitting. Is there something about scrolls that make them less then valuable then crystal/silk? I am in a fellowship.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29287

The moonstone library makes lots of scrolls causing a massive imbalance in the trader for that good. You can try making them 3 star trades instead and check your trader during periods you don’t normally post a trade to see if you have a neighbor that looking for it. Another thing, you can put down extra T1 factories and ask your archmage if you can do cross trades for the goods make sure they are 3 star though. Once you have your T3 up and running you can cross trade that if your allowed.

You are in a plank and magic dust heavy fellowship. Here is a link to elvenstats for ithttps://www.elvenstats.com/fellowship/us7/8095

gernsey

Damn, so the best option would have been to re-roll my city, on first launch, until i got something other then scrolls. That's some bad luck for me.

Thanks for the advice on how to deal with it. And the Elvenstats link.

{EDIT} Also i guess "leaning into scroll production" is not good idea? i should stay "Plank heavy" until i unlock Magic Dust. just have 1 scroll production building.

Last edited:

Huor

Don't worry! As you grow and expand you will run into neighbors that do not have a moonstone library and they will want your scrolls.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The markets in this game are controlled by two things: supply/demand and game description of what is fair.

Supply/demand works just like any market and sometimes the local supply is of some good is short, sometime not. The thing is, only you can determine what it's worth to you. So if you are catering something and need silk, "right now!," it's going to be worth a lot more scrolls or crystal (or anything else you can trade it for), "right now!" than it will be tomorrow. That's the nature of human perception and the "intangibles" (like not wanting to wait) cause us to adjust our offers.

So you have a bunch of scrolls and nobody seems to want them...you either try for a different city boosted in something other than scrolls, but that is only a temporary solution (see below), you cut back on scrolls production and use the space for your other two boosts (and then trade them for crystal or silk, if you can), or you increase your scrolls to balance the overall value of your scrolls (effectively producing the same value you would in scrolls if you were boosted in silk or crystal instead). The point it, whatever you produce you need to produce enough or gain enough through trading to meet your needs as a city. If you are in a fellowship that restricts the types of trades you can make, you have less options to accomplish this. That's the other way to evaluate the value of your goods.

The other option is to go along and believe that when the trader says scrolls are equal in value to crystal or silk and it is "fair" when you trade equal scrolls for equal crystal or silk. You know from experience how that works. And that's the problem in a nutshell. Many players believe the value of goods is what the game says it is, when, in fact, it depends on the value a player assigns to it in their circumstances. Sadly, many fellowships follow this and will restrict your trading and insist you go by the somewhat artificial valuations of the game. When therefore, you get larger (some leeway is usually permitted smaller players), you may find your fellowship won't allow you to post any zero or one star trades without permission AND/OR won't allow you to do cross tier trading -- meaning the "T1" goods (planks, marble, steel) for either "T2" (crystal, scrolls, silk) or "T3" goods (elixer, dust, gems), or some other movement of goods for something outside their "T" (tier). It's my belief these "rules" are harmful to many players but the community has used them so long that nobody, or few of us, have questioned/challenged the status quo. (It takes a lot of moxy to challenge the "status quo" doesn't it? LOL).

So, my recommendation is to adjust rather than start over. Because the game does fluctuate and the fluctuations can go on for months. When that happens you will need to see things more clearly and adjust to current and real in-game market conditions, rather than continue following game suggested and inaccurate game valuations of you goods. And if you are in a fellowship that insists you restrict the types of trading you do, leave and find a an Open Trading fellowship.

AJ

gernsey

Thanks for the replies, is there any other buildings like Moonstone library that cause major goods imbalances? If i know about them maybe i can use them to my advantage. ;)

I didn't really plan on starting over, but had i realized there was inbalances in the system on day 1, instead of everything being represented as equal, i sure as hell would have. Probably why everything is represented as equal.... go figure.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@gernsey , and other newer players reading this, a little over 6 months ago the availability of the Moonstone Library set was modified, from being able to win as many as you could from the Spire, to having a max of one set that you make in crafting. So all the players who did not make multiple sets from before the change, can now only have a single set, which does nothing to the value of scrolls. The issue is all of the players in the year and a half or so before that, who got many library sets, and put them all out in their cities, for all the scrolls production. Because of all this, some people have a bunch of bigger cities for neighbors, who have tons of scrolls, and some people could be in a neighborhood where the cities are newer and almost no one has too many scrolls and the trades work at normal values.

Also, there are only 9 possible boosted good combinations that a city can start with, and three of the nine include scrolls, so in general, there is a 33% chance a city will be scrolls-boosted.

DeletedUser27062

Thanks for the replies, is there any other buildings like Moonstone library that cause major goods imbalances? If i know about them maybe i can use them to my advantage. ;)

I didn't really plan on starting over, but had i realized there was inbalances in the system on day 1, instead of everything being represented as equal, i sure as hell would have. Probably why everything is represented as equal.... go figure.

Hi there, I'm scroll boosted in like 4 or 5 of my cities and have no problem trading scrolls. They may sit a while longer but they get taken eventually (and no, I don't trade them at a loss). Many people still treat scroll trades like they're lower value even when supply isn't abundant. In some of my worlds it's crystal or silk that is abundant so a lot depends on your neighbourhood and FS.

ElfGunn

Trading cost calculator, linked above. Per this tool, the cost in gold of T2 goods is 4x that of T1, never mind the increased supply cost. Likewise, T3 cost is 4x T2. By this standard, what the game calls a "fair" cross tier (T1-T2, etc) trade is anything but. For this reason, I do not place cross tier trades. I realize that cost is debatable, but in any event, the game only allows a maximum ratio of 8x on trades.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
gernsey, I know it will be a while, but once you get a blooming trader guild wonder and get it leveled up well, you'll be able to trade scrolls with the wholesaler without the huge hit you would take now. The BTG makes the wholesaler pretty decent. But yeah, I know that's a long time to wait.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

Trading cost calculator, linked above. Per this tool, the cost in gold of T2 goods is 4x that of T1, never mind the increased supply cost. Likewise, T3 cost is 4x T2. By this standard, what the game calls a "fair" cross tier (T1-T2, etc) trade is anything but. For this reason, I do not place cross tier trades. I realize that cost is debatable, but in any event, the game only allows a maximum ratio of 8x on trades.

That thing is way out of date and not accurate. The current ratio of 1.5 tier 1 for 1 tier 2 or 2.25 tier 1 for 1 tier 3 is very close to actual cost to produce goods. The old 4 tier 1 for 1 tier 2 was just a ratio that Inno picked 6 years ago and did not really test.

Anyone who still tries to get, for example, 4000 tier 1 goods for 1000 tier 2 goods is either delusional or one of those parasites people complain about.