• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are we sure it's lag?

Huor

Hello,

I know I have posted before about the browser giving the wrong information about an item one minute and the correct information about an item the next minute and I have been told it is "server lag". I'm opening this issue as the wrong information is being displayed on static, hardcoded, icons that should have nothing at all to do with the server. I can't believe the client would be contacting the server just to get the label for a static, hardcoded, icon. That would be a lot of unnecessary network traffic!

In both screenshots, the pointer is on the inventory icon.

Game version: v1.135.3-(1af7c07) - html5 (2021-08-05 08:44)
Game world: ceravyn
Browser + version: chrome Version 91.0.4472.147 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Flash Player version: none
Operating System: chrome os Version 91.0.4472.147 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Screen resolution: 1366 x 768 (Native)
Account name: huor
Humans or Elves: human

Reproducibility: 4/5 (1/5 = happened once; 2/5 = happens randomly; 3/5 = happens sometimes; 4/5 = happens often, but not always; 5/5 = happens always)

Attachments

• icon-bad.png
    icon-bad.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 112
  • icon-good.png
    icon-good.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Does this happen after you have cleared your cache, or does that resolve the problem?

Huor

Thank you for checking in! Clearing the cache makes no difference. It's one of those here one minute, gone the next. It is like the client is reaching out to the server for the names of static icons, but I really don't see that. Very expensive way to do it if that's really the case. I suspect it is a threading issue as a memory overlay wouldn't correct its self for static variables.

Huor

When I say 4/5 = happens often, it's more of a reference to this type of issue happening all over the game board. The icon issue is not as regular.

Grid Gypsy

Oh, this has been going on for as long as I've been playing, so fall of last year. Besides the buttons, I hover over my T1s to see how much time is left and get the info for my troops, or hover over a culture building and get info on my T2s. It's just second nature anymore to hover, then move off and hover again.

Huor

Very true. That has always been attributed to lag, which I could see. It's just when it happens to what should be hard coded, static buttons that it just seems so strange to me.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Yep, been doing this for years now, or at least after I switched from Flash to the HTML5 version of the game, many months before Flash was eliminated. I always just accepted it as one of the HTML5 issues that would never get corrected.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
It bothers me in the spire when I'm checking how many goods I have. It will give me wildly wrong numbers. Like Grid Gypsy, I am now in the habit of hovering over it, quickly moving away, and then hovering again to get the correct reading. But I have to admit, it's annoying. It's been going on for years and it is not rare ... it's every single day without fail.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
It bothers me in the spire when I'm checking how many goods I have. It will give me wildly wrong numbers. Like Grid Gypsy, I am now in the habit of hovering over it, quickly moving away, and then hovering again to get the correct reading. But I have to admit, it's annoying. It's been going on for years and it is not rare ... it's every single day without fail.

It used to be that if you looked at one building and then went to mouse over another building, it would show you the info for the previous building still. But now it will show me info on a building I have not moused over at all when I look at another building. I don't understand that one. It may be a cache thing, but it is still weird.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
I think if anyone can add to this (with screenshots/browser+version/OS) it would be helpful. I can add to the report
@Darielle can you try next Spire?

Darielle

helya, the only time it happened in the spire this week, my screen shot messed up. Sorry. I did get this weird bug in the tourney this morning:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 08.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 08.11 AM.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 92

Huor

Remembered to screen shot this time. The static icon for the spire was labeled close window. Game version is v1.136.4-(0acbfbb) - html5 (2021-08-19 15:02)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-01 10.01.27 AM-1.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-01 10.01.27 AM-1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 83

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
It used to be that if you looked at one building and then went to mouse over another building, it would show you the info for the previous building still. But now it will show me info on a building I have not moused over at all when I look at another building. I don't understand that one. It may be a cache thing, but it is still weird.

You are probably right in that it appears to be a cache problem. The system will, no doubt, cache the tool tip for the item your mouse goes over/or clicks on. In the process it has to access the item number and then pull from either the server or cache, the needed information. If the item number and it's related information is not in the cache it goes to the server and that takes a bit of time. In the meantime the local system displays whats in the cache for the type of information wanted even though it hasn't yet been updated to match the actual id you are viewing.

Here's an example so common I actually mouse over, leave, and mouse over a second time to insure I'm getting the right information. I open a spire chest where I want to cater (or whatever it's called). The screen opens and I hover over coins to see how many I have lest I run out before finishing the job. It says, "1,650K". Great! I then move to supplies to check that too. It says "1,650k?" I move off the supplies and then back on and it says, "950K" which is the right amount. The "problem" is that the system does not wait for the cache to be updated with the current information but displays the previous information while it retrieves the new information. It should have a "clean" or "dirty" marker to say if the cache id matches the actual id of the thing you are hovering over, and thus the information is up to date. If the information isn't up to date it should pause and wait for the update. But that takes a bit of time and would result in people seeing the lag -- not a good thing from a game experience point of view, so it's probably being ignored as a minor "feature" that would cost more to fix than to leave as is.

At least that's my guess on the matter. It could be totally, and completely wrong, wrong, wrong! ;)

AJ

Darielle

Here's a weird bug I found tonight. The gum tree does not give scrolls; it gives seeds. Is this lag too?
Screen Shot 09-04-21 at 11.49 PM.jpg