• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ask Timon and Rike! (Questions we'd like answered in the next Q&A)

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I think it still need to be asked because it was forwarded as a suggestion to the developers Jan 24th, which doesn't necessarily mean they plan to implement it.

Marindor has confirmed many times that ideas that are not clearly rejected are still in play but it does come down to priorities.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Q. How about a fellowship leader board for Tournaments?

This would be great for competitive players - to see how their Fellowship compares!
It would also be useful if you are a competitive player, thinking of changing to a more active Tournament-oriented fellowship...

Q. Ring 10+ Orcs for negotiation
A month or so ago when Tournaments were re-tweaked, there was an error that required players to use Orcs to cater - even if they were not yet in chapter VIII and had no way of producing them!
This was quickly corrected, so that now one only is required to have orcs when one has already unlocked that technology.

Why can't you do the same for World Map provinces?
In the Events, we are asked to complete one encounter - and there are always (a very few) players who have over-explored and cannot win fights any longer because their squad size is hopelessly too small - and they have no Orcs, so they are effectively unable to complete the Event quests, unless they use Diamonds. Which is something you have vowed will never be required...

Can this not be fixed please?
No Orcs for catering until you are able to produce them...

Q. Event quests are boringly repetitive

Hi!
Is it not possible to have more imaginative quests in the events?
The endless repetition of power of provision spells, and the same 3, 9, 12 and 24 hour productions is very boring!

It is also my opinion that we are missing an opportunity here!
There are many game features that new players are not aware of - and event quests could be used to teach them about them!
Also to get players used to doing the things that Timon wants them to!
  1. Timon wants us to trade more - so let’s have lots more trading Quests like ‘trade with someone on the map 10 times’; ‘trade with someone in your fellowship 20 times’; ‘place 10 trades for your first boosted material’, place 10 trades for your second Boosted material, accept 10 trades, etc etc.
  2. Co-operation with Fellowship is part of Timon’s plan - so what about ‘visit fellowship members 24 times?” Which would 'force' us to have bigger fellowships!
  3. Trading- and visiting friendships on the Map are desirable - so how about ‘visit x number of people on the Map’?
  4. The Design Team want us to use the Magic Academy more - so how about ‘Cast 5 Spells’?
  5. Keep the Quests Event-related - like ‘Collect 20 Easter Eggs’? ‘Use 100 Sky Essence’?
  6. The Designers obviously would like to encourage us to buy Diamonds.
    So how about giving us 50 Diamonds and telling us to spend them - repeated several times during the event!!
    Sort-of getting us into the swing of using Diamonds, à la Pavlov!
  7. Use three different keyboard shortcut keys (many people do not know of these)
  8. Visit the Forum and the Wiki once each, using the icon bottom right of the city
  9. Change the graphics resolution of your city
  10. Change the speed of your fighting screen
  11. Use each of the three the trader filters...
  12. etc etc

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
I agree with Soggy for the Orc's in the provinces, they are there to stop players from over scouting and won't be removed. It would be better to ask if they could add another option for quests that ask for complete a province.
Lots of great questions here, wish they could all be put on the Q & A, I would look forward to watching that episode!

Mykan

Oh Wise One

Hasn't this one also been explained a lot? People don't like the answer but it doesn't mean we don't know it.

While I am unsure these questions will make it to the devs for a Q&A it would be great to have a way to summarise them and filter/strike-through those that are already known answers. Rating them in order of preference might be harder and would require a poll.

edeba

How do you change the speed of your fight screen?

Q. How about a fellowship leader board for Tournaments?

This would be great for competitive players - to see how their Fellowship compares!
It would also be useful if you are a competitive player, thinking of changing to a more active Tournament-oriented fellowship...

A month or so ago when Tournaments were re-tweaked, there was an error that required players to use Orcs to cater - even if they were not yet in chapter VIII and had no way of producing them!
This was quickly corrected, so that now one only is required to have orcs when one has already unlocked that technology.

Why can't you do the same for World Map provinces?
In the Events, we are asked to complete one encounter - and there are always (a very few) players who have over-explored and cannot win fights any longer because their squad size is hopelessly too small - and they have no Orcs, so they are effectively unable to complete the Event quests, unless they use Diamonds. Which is something you have vowed will never be required...

Can this not be fixed please?
No Orcs for catering until you are able to produce them...

Q. Event quests are boringly repetitive

Hi!
Is it not possible to have more imaginative quests in the events?
The endless repetition of power of provision spells, and the same 3, 9, 12 and 24 hour productions is very boring!

It is also my opinion that we are missing an opportunity here!
There are many game features that new players are not aware of - and event quests could be used to teach them about them!
Also to get players used to doing the things that Timon wants them to!
  1. Timon wants us to trade more - so let’s have lots more trading Quests like ‘trade with someone on the map 10 times’; ‘trade with someone in your fellowship 20 times’; ‘place 10 trades for your first boosted material’, place 10 trades for your second Boosted material, accept 10 trades, etc etc.
  2. Co-operation with Fellowship is part of Timon’s plan - so what about ‘visit fellowship members 24 times?” Which would 'force' us to have bigger fellowships!
  3. Trading- and visiting friendships on the Map are desirable - so how about ‘visit x number of people on the Map’?
  4. The Design Team want us to use the Magic Academy more - so how about ‘Cast 5 Spells’?
  5. Keep the Quests Event-related - like ‘Collect 20 Easter Eggs’? ‘Use 100 Sky Essence’?
  6. The Designers obviously would like to encourage us to buy Diamonds.
    So how about giving us 50 Diamonds and telling us to spend them - repeated several times during the event!!
    Sort-of getting us into the swing of using Diamonds, à la Pavlov!
  7. Use three different keyboard shortcut keys (many people do not know of these)
  8. Visit the Forum and the Wiki once each, using the icon bottom right of the city
  9. Change the graphics resolution of your city
  10. Change the speed of your fighting screen
  11. Use each of the three the trader filters...
  12. etc etc

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
@edeba the green arrow (>) on the bottom bar, (you can click it twice to get it to max speed three >>>) I didn't find it until I was in the fairies chapter (by accident). This is a great example that the game needs better quests to show players what is available to them.

Hasn't this one also been explained a lot? People don't like the answer but it doesn't mean we don't know it.

While I am unsure these questions will make it to the devs for a Q&A it would be great to have a way to summarise them and filter/strike-through those that are already known answers. Rating them in order of preference might be harder and would require a poll.

It has been explained a lot on the forums by us, (the players), but not very well in the game or on the Q & A I don't think.
As for getting these questions to the Dev's, maybe @Aider could condense them and send them like they do with our feed back in discussion threads? please!! This would be very helpful!

Edit : just thought of a good question,
Could the previous chapters quests be made declinable or reset at the beginning of each new chapter? So players that missed one or messed up the quests, would be able to continue them without having to redo the whole previous chapter.

Last edited:

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
This doesn't seem like something they would do as it completely defeats the reason it was implemented in the first place. They should however give some sort of in-game information about the possible side effects of over scouting.

Hear hear! Well said!!
Monique the Geek and Knowledgeable Norman know all about the hazards of over-scouting.
But Ruby the Newbie never hears about this until it is far too late!

Another Question: Relative complexity of Tournament Provinces

I would really like to hear what Timon has to say about this!
Our Facebook group tracks each Tournament province each week in cities of different levels - and we have found that there are some that you can AutoFight quite easily with five squads of Treants or Golems or Mortars or Paladins. But there are other provinces where the enemy has Mage types (for example) which are much more tricky - and one is forced to Manually Fight - and even then will take much greater losses.

What I am thinking is that it is tough on Ruby the Newbie if she gets assigned one of these 'tricky' provinces, randomly, when she starts.She is at a considerable disadvantage compared to Clovis the Novice who was assigned an easier province type - Clovis will get boosting Relics much easier, to increase his goods output. Not just in the Tournaments; also in the World Map fights!

Are you aware of this, Timon?
We know you try to 'balance' the game to make it equally fair to everyone!

Will you re-tweak the 'tricky' provinces?

Thanks!!

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Q. Expansions:
Hi Timon and Rike!
Many of the recent game changes have been designed to 'slow the game' and prevent cities growing too big too fast. It is obvious that each building in a city has to be 'painted' one-by-one when one visits, which slows the game considerably - and this is only going to get worse as cities get even bigger with more buildings.
It is understandable and logical that you are offering fewer expansions per chapter, and making the premium expansion unaffordable except to the very rich.
What many of us are wondering is which directions do you see the city going in future, in the respect of size, and expansions?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Many of the recent game changes have been designed to 'slow the game' and prevent cities growing too big too fast.
I'm not sure that is a fair statement. Sure there are obstacles in place (like orcs for ring 11+) that seem to "slow" players down, but I think that is a side effect, not the motive.
Every game needs to have a balance between challenge and reward. If a game is too easy to "complete" then players will get bored and leave. The flip side, of course, is that if it is too hard players may get frustrated and also leave-- hence the need for balance.

I just took my 3rd city through fairies, and used 5/5 day/night farms. It was an entirely different experience than I had months ago with 4/3. Instead of struggling for space and guest race goods I was capped on guest race stuff almost the entire time. The reason I had so much space is a combination of experience and loads of efficient event buildings. While we may only be getting 2 expansions in chapter 9+, it's more than enough if you design your city well, and use the tools provided.

The fact is that you are given enough room in each chapter to build factories that provide all of the goods needed to complete techs just about as fast as you can gain KP. With no premium expansions, and only clearing the minimum number of provinces required to enter a new chapter I was never tech-locked until mid chapter 9,(mostly because I underestimated how much mana I needed) and even then, putting a couple hundred KP into a wonder didn't break me.

The only reason to need more space is to have more factories, which you only need so that you can afford to negotiate for more space. It is a completely unnecessary cycle. Right now the game does cater more to players that enjoy squeezing the most out of the space they have rather than players that want to expand massively and have a huge city. Anyone desiring such a large city (or rank) has to stretch outside the soft limits that the game has either by buying expansions, or being very active/clever. In my opinion, this is as it should be.
In order to change this design would require a monumental shift in what type of game this is, and I sincerely hope that they don't do that.

DeletedUser4699

I agree with virtually everything Soggy said.

The reason I had so much space is a combination of experience and loads of efficient event buildings. While we may only be getting 2 expansions in chapter 9+, it's more than enough if you design your city well, and use the tools provided.

This is actually something that has been on my mind a bit lately. It can be slightly problematic if balance hinges on being lucky enough to get the good event buildings instead of excess relics from the event boxes. I will give an example.
Player A and Player B spend the same amount of time/resources doing festival X.
Player A opens 12 event boxes, gets 2 event buildings that give 1700 pop and 1700 culture. The other ten boxes were non-boosted relics.
Player B opens 12 event boxes, gets 10 event buildings that give 1700 pop and 1700 culture.
That is 13,600 more pop for player B than player A, and since the population per square is far better than houses, this drastically changes the space balancing issues that each player will have. Since the houses at this theoretical level give 69 pop per square and the event building gives 142 per square, player B uses less than half of the space needed to achieve the same pop as player A.
Now, I want to be very clear, I am not complaining nor bellyaching about this. I just wanted to point out that balancing should not be dependent on the luck of winning lots of event buildings.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Bricabrac
Yep, there's no doubt that event buildings can be a game changer. This is part of why I write my event walk-throughs, to help others get the most out of it.
The probability curve is pretty good though, and it is only in extreme cases where someone would get 2 buildings if the average is 10. As a very small sample between my wife's 3 cities and mine we got 6,9,10,10,12,15 winter stars when we "should" have gotten 11 each.with the snowflakes we had. This is another reason why I tell players to open the small box/egg/chest as it smooths out the curve. If someone offers you 10K per heads with a coin toss 10 times, or 100k if you get heads on 1 coin toss, don't be a hero, go for the 10 tosses.;)

Personally I wouldn't mind a change to event buildings where the element of chance was removed, but I'm fine either way-- it's a little thrilling to open 100+ boxes in a row.

DeletedUser4699

@Bricabrac

Personally I wouldn't mind a change to event buildings where the element of chance was removed

I would really like to see something like this implemented. I am one of those fantastically unlucky individuals with regards for rolling for loot!
Instead of 100 event currency to open 1 large box for a 12% chance of each different reward, I would be more than okay with tiered pricing for the rewards. 50 for the relics, 100 for the kp, 200 for event building. I'm just pulling numbers out of the air here, just for examples. :)

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Q. How about a toggle on-and-off box in Settings to turn off 'confirm' Notifications?

It is not just the quest notifications that are annoying, having to click twice to do one thing; there are other places in the game where we are asked to confirm things over and over.
If we has a toggle switch we could turn them off and save lots of time and wear-and-tear on our mouse and finger joints - at own risk!
:)

Thanks!