• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Autumn Zodiac Event Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaccy

@TomatoeHu From reading your post, I have to ask you: How would you do an event better? What would quests look like if you were the one designing them? This question is specifically in response to your mention that production is 'irrelevant' now. If production quests were removed from events, what's left? You also expressed frustration with gaining relics for quests, so I'm assuming that one can be taken off the table as well. It sounds like you're really not giving anything to work with in terms of improving, but I'm going to ask anyway in the hope that you aren't going to provide a canned response.

DeletedUser2959

many people don't even bother training troops and simply cater/negotiate everything.
That was me until about 2 years ago. Now I always have troops training and while I have given up on manual fighting (way to time-consuming) I find that I can pretty much pick a winning combo in most situations. I highly recommend that everyone train up some troops and just poke around at until you get better. It's a helluva lot cheaper than cater/negotiating everything.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The primary thing that creates headaches is pace control, and the developers have tried all kinds of things that work differently for different people. if you look back at my Stonehenge event idea, it offered built in pace controls that weren't wasteful and artificial. Give an event a building that must be constructed and upgraded using a mix of in-event resources (not levelled by artifacts). Anyone can make the building the first day using the first handful of event coin they collect in the fringes. Then it upgrades using resources produced in the building, some of which can not be made until a specific point in the event. Someone who wants to spend diamonds or timers instants can rush certain things, but if an essential component isn't available until the second week of the event, all the rushing in the world won't make that happen any sooner, so nobody gets their building past level four until week two. People who start later have a chance to catch up, but players physically can't race ahead of the event schedule. An ancient Elvenarian comes to town in week three of the event, bringing the secret of component number three, which is the only way to upgrade your event building past level nine. Meantime, people can collect items in the forest and make a few more by doing simple quests so they get to roll the dice (or whatever the current mechanic is) for other prizes, but nobody gets to finish the event on day 4.

Filler comes from fewer quest that are less intrusive to the city, but the main point of the event is leveling your event building. Hitting level 2 gets you 200 "thingamabobs." Hitting level 3 gets you 300 "thingamabobs" then 400 at level 4, and 500 at level 5 etc. Nobody gets to level five before the start of the second week, because the key ingredient for that upgrade doesn't exist in game until then. Likewise level 10 at the start of the third week, and level 15 at the start of week four, so people can complete the event sometime during week four by getting their event building to level 20

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
When looking at the lists of quests, I am just happy they heard us about that Complete 2 Provinces quest. Sure, it was easy early on, but after running out of already scouted provinces, that one quest became like a double quest, because those of us with long scout times had to figure out the days and days needed to scout two provinces before we could even complete them. Just with that issue no longer in there, I would be really surprised if a lot of endgame players do not have two fully evolved bears by the end of the event, and one for sure for most players, even with the poorly though out factory requirements.

So @Fairy Dust and Inno, here is some feedback for you on that. Rather than this awkward system that penalizes players who are in certain chapters, instead make it simpler. Instead of current OR previous chapter, change it to current AND previous research level. For example, a player in chapter 12, 13 or 14 has a current research level of chapter 12 for tier 1 factories and their previous research level would be chapter 9, giving them the option to use any factory from level 20-27, instead of the current more restrictive level 24-27 that chapter 13 and 14 players are stuck with. And someone in chapters 9-11 could use level 16-23 from the research in chapter 9 and the chapter 6 research, rather than the chapter 10 and 11 players being restricted to just level 20-23. And down the line for the rest of the chapters.

Deleted User - 3932582

Is it just me, or the daily prizes have been decidedly lackluster so far? They've run more than a half of dailies on beta already, and nothing there stands out so far. Maybe except the Pond of Autumn if you need seeds - it is a pretty efficient seeds producer. It is also pretty small, so similar caveat like with mana huts (i.e. you need a lot of them to make a difference). None of the culture/pop is top notch I believe.

Apart from that, I see the usual time boosts as something I like, and that's it. Of course, there are bears in the grand prizes, and potentially something good in the remaining 10 or so dailies.

Anyone else is excited about anything in the dailies so far?

qaccy

I highly recommend that everyone train up some troops and just poke around at until you get better. It's a helluva lot cheaper than cater/negotiating everything.

I agree. There's additionally very little to spend supplies on if not being used for military. The wholesaler isn't going to provide much bang for your buck in that regard, but I fear that's where these players are putting their excess supplies...

Fighting is essentially catering, using supplies instead of goods.

TomatoeHu

Sheets of Color
@TomatoeHu From reading your post, I have to ask you: How would you do an event better? What would quests look like if you were the one designing them? This question is specifically in response to your mention that production is 'irrelevant' now. If production quests were removed from events, what's left? You also expressed frustration with gaining relics for quests, so I'm assuming that one can be taken off the table as well. It sounds like you're really not giving anything to work with in terms of improving, but I'm going to ask anyway in the hope that you aren't going to provide a canned response.

LOL, Canned response? not because you asked nicely but because i have given my opinion and suggestions in the past, perhaps not on the US forums, as much as on Beta, here is some rambling TomatoeHu for you! ♥ I love talking about how much better Inno could do, they make it pretty easy to do, I enjoy doing it and I can even direct you to the thread about how they could be doing better, on the Beta forums ;) There is an arsenal of suggestions and responses on event quests, by myself over every event since they first started cause, i have played them all :) All of them. And, I have given many suggestions back quite often, even if they were not my own, i have regurgitated the best and more positively received /accepted suggestions. Often. possibly every event.

So, first lets clarify :)
Production quests do not make up more than a third of the event, i would say less than a third, as there are more workshop production quests. Then toss in the collect relics, collect CC, collect enchantments, collect spell frags, solve encounters or tournament, collect Vision vapor, scout or research or VV, train troops, do the spire or encounters. Use three enchantments is way more fun! Give neighborly help! Let us go and give buffs to our neighbors! how cool would it be to PoP your friends workshop or MM a manufactory? Add culture ( now don't shake your head, everyone can upgrade some roads, it super easy for all chapters ) spend KP in a wonder ( except mobile players are limited ), there should be mana and seed quests for higher chapters instead of collect supplies, give us a range like our event buildings have from chapters 1-14 ( tools, tier 3, mana, seeds ). As for Gain relics and Scout are redundant, as we have "solve encounter or do tournaments" which require scouting to be happening anyways or gain relics from in the tournaments. You will need to do a mix of both options due to tournaments being Tuesday to Saturday and well, events are everyday of the week :) Give us back add Population ( build a level 1 house ), squeeze in a 2x2 building! Move a building. We have a series of declinable, chapter related quests built right into this game that cycle through your entire game experience, it is widely used by players to advance though their chapter normally, to gain supplies and coin rewards to further their chapter normally. If we are doing 2 events per chapter or more, then event quests should not be harder and should not cause us to leap forward so far from a chapters requirements it hurts a player. If a player has x number of chest requirements the event should automatically drop all scout and gain relics. These are all quests that push players too far in the research tree, world map and leave their cities in previous chapters. Research unlocked but under leveled buildings including houses, workshops and production, not enough culture prevents players from advancing properly and completing new chapter related tasks, quests and for those under Orcs, ring 11 is a nasty surprise to hit prior to reaching that chapter. Quests that promote over scouting, also affect and cause over researching which puts players behind on upgrades from all the Buy KP, Spend KP, complete provinces, gain relics etc ) Here is a very good reason why many players will not be ready to meet the new event requirements. Between being catapulted forwards and receiving unlimited coin rains and windfalls, their workshops are a few chapters behind and can afford to be, but so are their productions!

*** There are many many many ideas put forth from other players, i will not take credit for any of these suggestions being original. perhaps some are, but I definitely heard some, thought of some and read some on the forums, discussed some with many players.

There actually never has to be production quests in an event, no one would miss that. They are not the main part of events, nor should the focus shift to production, production rules, or production requirements. Same for workshops. Many, much more efficient city designs exist with fewer than 5 workshops. Elvenar has much more to offer players then a full production city. Players with such production builds enjoy their cities, but they are not the only way to use your city and all the buildings, wonders and resources required to play the game.
on to part 2

TomatoeHu

Sheets of Color
Part 2
Lets switch gears and imagine that the event asked you to level your barracks to your current or previous chapter. Many catering players have left this building at level 5 or less. Under leveled is my point. It would not be nice to wake up Monday and need to find the population and space to level it. Need to build more houses and culture to level a barracks up. Sell production for space, culture and pop. I am certain that based on your chapter and previous research Inno can even make specific troop training requests from the barracks. If Inno wants us to make a squad size, then Chapter 1 can make light melee and archers, add in golems, mages and treants for later chapters. Lets make the Training grounds and the Merc camp required buildings to have and level in your city at current or previous chapter, seeing as they cant be teleported, they must be needed right? X number of Armories at current or previous chapter.

That would result in all these production/ catering cities needing to queue up troops they will never use.But, There are more ways to kill troops to advance as a catering city, then there is to spend you tier 1 boosted goods as a non catering city.You can choose to auto-fight, clear provinces in auto-fight, do some spire. Non catering would need other resources as well as the their useless tier 1 to take on catering provinces on the map or catering tournaments or convincing in the spire, so alone, tier 1 again sucks. I simply try to point out that Tournament players or non catering cities, remove useless and unneeded buildings such as workshops and production for military camps, wonders and armories the same way that catering players remove military buildings from theirs. All players know the math to the needs of their city and have designated that space for whatever they need to play their strategy. And if we Must do production, 3hrs collect form ANY production should suffice, from any tier and sentient - why must it always be boosted Tier 1, please lets get away from that. If the event is opened up to ANY production, you are still allowing small cities their cheap level 1 tier 1 boosted to count and all chapters 5 and up will have at least 3 buildings to choose 3 hr productions from.

Almost finished.
If events should be fun, they should allow players to complete them without straining their cities forward in endless scout and complete provinces. Silly tasks may seem easy but they are the best warm up quests, evens the field for new cities and experienced high level players to build event currency early, then work in some 5min-8hr tasks for workshops and the rest of the collect from your city quests. The whole
"slow down the quests with longer timed tasks" is silly. Let it be fast paced but cap the event. There are X number of artifacts, make 9 possible (the buildings start at lvl 1, plus 9 gets you max lvl 10) if you play the event. Let players play it, let them build and roll currency for the chance at buildings or artifacts or other chest rewards. This is a city "clicker" game, we all want to click away, all the time, at something, anything, don't kill the silly tasks for the ones that make us bored and wait to play again. Endless artifacts is a waste but a huge money maker for the game. If Inno wants money, set a price and let people buy more artifacts, these players are not enjoying event strategy anyways, they will throw down at it until they get what they want. Used to be you could set in on an event and make plans and devise ways to get ahead so you don't miss a good prize day. There were wonders to get and use their bonuses to get to help you. This event, its so slow you are thankful there isn't anything new coming and you can spin out on the last day. But its slow. its so slow and it gets to a point real fast that you cant do more than one quest a day anyways so what's the point. Chapter 14 player gets "scout, gain relics and 5 toolboxes repeat repeat repeat" while chapter 3 player gets "gain 3 enchantments, Buy KP, collect vision vapor". To different chapter players these quests are individually easy, but not for all chapters and all cities. The chapter 3 player just learned and leveled his MA, barely knows how to use it and immediately needs it to be level 5 to continue making 3 enchantments on repeat all event long. those spells take a long time if you dont level the MA. Chapter 14 players have 3 plus days on their scouts, gaining relics means needs more scouts and setting your only, now 5 , workshops to toolboxes after waiting 3 days for your scout is really depressing and frustrating. Not exciting.

Wrapping it up.
Now this is the solve all, besides offering several alternative quests and clarifying why production can be irrelevant to may cities,
Event quests should all, have OR options based on your Chapter OR for cities possibility

Collect 15 Bread from X level workshop OR collect supplies OR make 50 beverages
This covers your "i have 5 required building, the I don't have them group cause they use Alternative Buildings such as wonders or instants and the last OR gives the option to by past making bread and collect supplies for a more tedious by justied answer to not having buildings or instants or wonders.

Collect 3 enchantments or Use 3 enchantments or collect 200 spell fragments
Can make spells no problem, cant make them without taking awhile so you use what you have or you need your spells and opt to disenchant something instead.

Produce 3hr production from boosted tier1, 2,or 3 from X level of buildings, OR Collect X number of Tier 1, 2 and 3, OR Train X number of Squad sizes.
first one lets you make it form any production boosted in your city OR you can collect form your 24hr set buildings or 48 collections etc form event buildings OR if you have no production or very few because you are more military, Squad sizes are an effective alternative. We have 3 buildings to queue up and our queues can take the same amount of time relative to the production quests.

Definitely done.
I wish i had all night to type up more but i do work in the morning. @qaccy, I hope this satisfies your answer, uncanned and all in a pleasant tone btw :) I may of overly clarified, opted for clearer examples then maybe needed but you asked for a non copy /paste , non generic answer, so full TomatoeHu ramble for you :) i may even possibly have tried to max character this.... This is all off the top of my head and perhaps, i missed a few usual points or rambled too much here or there and didn't make any clear points. But this is not my first time, probably not the last time giving out better quest examples and alternatives to be made available to Inno, specifically asking for later chapters to have mana and seeds brought in, change the events to include non production, remove scouts and relics for OR's are not a newly stated or newly discussed event talking point. Always brought up to remind Inno, of lists already made and liked, posted on the Beta forum and all server forums, that events are not player friendly, unimaginative and boring with their never ending use of (and now "random" yet repeating ) of terrible and wildly unpopular quest types. My assumption will always be that players are following Beta and all game forums for their servers, that if i could off offhandedly say that production is irrelevant, that would mean something to others reading, my bad. So, all players should all be aware that pumping out production is completely unnecessary and even boring to some players. Players can absolutely chose to never cater, that is a choice not a requirement in the game and its absolutely possible to play without production or workshops maxed level with wonders and event buildings doing all that work for you.

DeletedUser11588

Here's where I am with this:

I developed my now chapter 13 cities with mid and lower level tier 1s because 1) I like the leafy trees in my planks boost city; 2) they're more flexible for rearranging, 3) the smallest ones could be put to long MSP sets for FAs with less of a drop in production and 4) it was fun to be able to stack the productions to complete several event quests rapidly. The latter was my game within a game and I was happy to finish the event quests early. I got a real kick out of getting the timings lined up, or setting it up so that a 9 hour run fell over my night time, or a relics quest was up when a tourny ended. The meta game of quest efficiency was what was interesting. This going on forever with the semi-random repeatable quests? Tedious, boring, frustrating.

Normally I try to keep on top of the news on the elvengems site, but I didn't have the spare attention for that these last few weeks, so I knew there was an event coming up but not when it would start or anything about these requirements for tier 1 and workshop levels. My builders have been busy upgrading my tier 2 boosts because that's what my game needs. Now I have to figure out the population, culture and space to get tier 1s up to scratch. (And the sentient good tier 1, that won't count? Bad move there Inno.)

This is a significant change to event mechanics and one which goes against the strategy for previous events. We really should have been informed, in game, in time to make the changes.

I'm feeling burnt out on the game anyway. Inno, please tell me why I should continue? I'm certainly not going to buy gems to make this work, because your continued pressures on resources (like that stupid greedy Spire) keeps unbalancing the game further. You're asking too much, and when something feels unfair or greedy, I won't go there.

Now for Inno to ignore us. But at least I tried to say my bit.

Deleted User - 312108

@TomatoeHu As you know, I also advocate for a more open quest system that allows choice - hence gain KP instead of buy KP. I think allowing the workshop production & factory quests to be more open as you said as produce factory run or produce x amount of goods (able to be gained from event buildings but not trades) and for workshop having a couple different runs makes senses. Allowing us to decide how to complete the quests makes players much happier and more engaged.

Also, there is the question of what happened to give NH, move building, gain population, gain culture, accept/post trades etc, use enchantments. I think the way they build the currency awards means they wanted to eliminate 'easy' quests which is why I advocate currency awards based on the relative effort/difficulty of the quests. So lower cost quests such as give NH would award less points, but potentially occur more frequently than a solve encounter quest which would have a cooldown timer associated to it.

Like you, I feel that between beta & live that I've been posting since I've turned blue. Many folks have given IG wonderful suggestions and hopefully they will look more closely at them.

And they really, truly have to do something about the duplicate quests - solve encounter/spire twice in a row this am on beta and I think there was another... I get random, but encounter quests and buy KP need a cool down.

Deleted User - 312108

@Ashrem Oh, I understand that. Actually I'd prefer encounter quests be totally removed and just be gain relics - that way you can do encounters or tourney encounters or crafting based on what you can do and not be constrained.
They do have the OR for the scout quest now, which helps but I do prefer quests that enable me to decide HOW I want to fulfill them vs. only having one avenue of doing so.

DeletedUser21153

This quest event is terrible!!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to spend time, space and resources to upgrade my UNBOOSTED manufactories!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also refuse to progress on to the next chapter, as this will require additional upgrades to my manufactory and workshop facilities. I will play this stupid little quest episode for as far and as long as I can. When I come to the point where I can no longer progress in the quests without upgrading, I'm DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User - 312108

This quest event is terrible!!!!!!!!!!! I refuse to spend time, space and resources to upgrade my UNBOOSTED manufactories!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also refuse to progress on to the next chapter, as this will require additional upgrades to my manufactory and workshop facilities. I will play this stupid little quest episode for as far and as long as I can. When I come to the point where I can no longer progress in the quests without upgrading, I'm DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does not require you to use unboosted manufactories. You need to use your boosted. I have played on beta and I do not run with unboosted manufactories and I have had no issues with progression.

qaccy

@TomatoeHu Thanks for taking what was definitely more time than it was worth to type all that up. I do agree that events should have more variety in their quests, and I've mentioned that myself in various feedback threads. It seems to me though that Inno is hesitant to do this for whatever reason, and the last time we had an event that DID include T2 and T3 goods there was a lot of backlash from early-game players and players on a world that was fairly new at the time who could not produce these goods. I'm wondering if this event (had low revenues) was the reason why we haven't seen anything but tasks that can be completed by a city in chapter 1 ever since. Perhaps like with FAs, we're just going to have to wait for a couple years for Inno to finally design event quests to be more dynamic and look at your chapter not just for the amount of resources required, but also the tasks themselves. Much like how some buildings change their productions from supplies, to goods, to mana depending on what chapter it's from, I'd like to see quests do similar.

One thing though that I do agree with Inno on, even though it's controversial, is having a design that includes some measure of pacing to it. I don't think 'roadblocks' are in their best form when they can appear randomly and multiple times in succession, but I do think that at least some players do need the game to come in and nudge them to 'take a break' every once in a while. If every quest was something that could be cranked out in relatively little time for the right city layout, I think that's a bit unhealthy and makes it harder to balance an event between players who do that and players who do things more casually. Balance it for the casual player and the 'hardcore' one cleans up in the event; balance it for the hardcore player and casual players get very little from the event. Both of these aren't ideal, so I think Inno's still in the process of tweaking this new event design so that casuals can get something out of it, without allowing hardcore players to run away with more than an 'intended' number of artifacts. This is all speaking for free, of course--as you pointed out, if someone wants to use diamonds then none of this really applies However, the Mermaids event definitely allowed a huge number of artifacts to be obtained relatively easily for free, compared to previous events where the quests stopped right around the point you'd be maxing out your building.

On the whole, perhaps this is a 'wait and see' situation where feedback may not be acted upon immediately, but changes will continue to come with each new event. After all, it did take quite a while for FAs to get to where they're at now, even if along the way there were continual cries that Inno wasn't listening to the feedback at all. I think this stuff may just end up being more gradual than we want it to be at times.

The Unbeliever

Simple example quest list that makes the game playable vs. wanting to go Office Space on your device:
- "Complete X productions in a workshop of your current chapter, OR, Complete Y productions in a workshop of your previous 2 chapters.
(note: Y is greater than X)
- "Complete each Workshop production once." (ie: collect a 5min + 15min + 1hr + 3hr + 9hr + 24hr productions)
- "Complete X 5min/15min/1hr/3hr/9hr workshop productions."
- "Complete X 3hr/9hr/24hr productions in any Goods buildings of your current chapter OR your previous chapter. (max 8/4/2)
- "Complete X 3hr/9hr/24hr productions of each T1 goods.

- "Gain X amount of Marble + Steel + Planks"
- "Gain X amount of Crystal + Scrolls + Silk"
- "Gain X amount of Elixir + Dust + Gems"
(Ch1 & 2 players simply need a fellowship that's not 90% dead cities, OR, program it that the T2 & T3 quests will not activate until the relevent research is completed)

- "Buy 10KP, OR, Pay some coins." ('pay coins' = 33% of total coin storage)
- "Donate 5/10/15/20 KP to any Ancient Wonders."
- "Research a Technology, OR, upgrade 2 buildings to Lv12+." (note: quest auto-completes IF a player has 100% completed ALL available research AND has 0 buildings under Lv12 w/AW's being discounted.)

- "Gain 50-100 Culture"
- "Gain 50 population"
- Move X building/s
- "Place X trades in the trader"
- "Accept X trades in the trader"

- "Upgrade X buildings to Lv4 or higher"
- "Upgrade X buildings to Lv5 or higher"

- "Scout a province OR collect 6x Toolboxes"
- "Scout 2 provinces OR collect 12x Toolboxes"
- "Complete 1 province OR collect 15 relics from Tournament provinces."
- "Complete 2 provinces OR collect 30 relics from Tournament provinces."

- "Complete 2-5 encounters OR 2-5 Spire encounters."
- "Complete 2-5 encounters OR complete 4-24 tournament encounters (shock! now this one repeating endlessly is actually doable!)
- "Complete 2-5 encounters OR recruit 2-5x squad size # of units. (ie: 4 encounters OR (if squad size is say 850) recruit 3400 units)

- "Gain X relics OR gain a massive/monumental amount of Coins." (ie: 30-50% of total coin storage capacity)
- "Gain X relics OR gain a massive/monumental amount of Supplies." (ie: 30-50% of total supply storage capacity)
NB: this leaves an option for the roughly 72hrs or so where there is no tournament availability!!
- "Gain X Enchantments, OR, use X Enchantments."
- "Gain 250-500 Spell Fragments, OR, Gain Y T1 boosted goods from your production buildings."
- "Gain 1-2 Combining Catalysts, OR, Gain Y T2 boosted goods from your productions buildings."
- "Gain 2-5 Vision Vapor, OR, Gain Y T3 boosted goods from your production buildings."

Look! So hard - it almost took me some actual effort!:rolleyes:

Pheryll

Set Designer
Simple example quest list that makes the game playable vs. wanting to go Office Space on your device:
- "Complete X 3hr/9hr/24hr productions in any Goods buildings of your current chapter OR your previous chapter. (max 8/4/2)

Might just as well as have put "give up on event and do no more quests". 24hr productions required from sentient level manufactories? Give me a break. Can't even pay diamonds to get through this quest.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
One of the greatest, and simplest things they could do is make the quests auto complete in groups, like the FA. Group the quests in sets of 16, then anything you harvest goes toward finishing a quest. Once all quests are green, you collect the "thingamoabobs" for completing the group of 16 quests. An easy group might get you fewer things than a hard group, but that's just gravy. Set up that way, no-one ever has to cringe in dismay becuase they collected the wrong workshop at the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.