• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

AW for troop performance

CrystalBlue

I'm just entering halflings, was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on which AW, Sanctuary or Heroes Forge would help improve my troop performance (make them last longer or fight harder). A little more UMPH on the battlefield. Thank you for any suggestions.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Sanctuary increases the health of all your troops, None of the AWs will boost all of your troop's fighting ability at one time, rather there are five different AWs for that, one for each of the five troop types. Oh, and the Forge is much more useful as an orc producer than it is for the boost to the Heavy Melee melee.

Last edited:

Sprite1313

Here is a link to a previous discussion on Best AWs; of course, if you ask 10 players, you will get 10 different answers. I have both of those AWs in my city, and will continue to invest in the sanctuary (martial monastery for me). I will continue to level my HF, as well, but it is a lower priority for me. The orcs and sentient goods are both nice to get (sentient goods if/when you build the Pyramid of Purification).

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@CrystalBlue Of the 2 you list I would 100% go with Sanctuary. It gives a toughness boost to every type of troops you have. The extra toughness means that even in fairly easy fights, you will lose fewer troops. And in tough fights, the extra toughness can be the difference between winning and losing. And it is also a very good source of culture.

I would advise against Hero's Forge. Heavy Melee troops are probably my least used unit type. They just don't work as well as other troops except for rare combinations of enemies. If you are just entering Halflings, let me suggest Dragon Abbey instead of Hero's Forge. It will give a damage bonus to all your mage units. I use mage units MUCH more than heavy melee, so I feel this damage bonus is much more important. Furthermore, Dragon Abbey is probably the single best source of mana in the game. It will instantly give you mana every time you cast an enchantment spell.

CrystalBlue

Thank you, Henroo. i have problems defending mage units against the hounds without the use of heavy melee. would love to use mage more often but not sure how to run mage without heavy melee. any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be putting in the sanc tonight. made room for it. still waiting on shards for the abbey. hoping to finish it with this tourney.

CrystalBlue

Sanctuary increases the health of all your troops, None of the AWs will boost all of your troop's fighting ability at one time, rather there are five different AWs for that, one for each of the five troop types. Oh, and the Forge is much more useful as an orc producer than it is for the boost to the Heavy Melee melee.
Ty :))

CrystalBlue

Sanctuary it is! Thank you guys soooo much. Making a place for it right now. Abbey is up next. I love the forum. Best advice and great people. Thank you!

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@CrystalBlue Dogs are the bane of mage units. Of all the light melee units they are by far the strongest against mage units. Your Priests will often be able to deal with a few enemy light melee units if they are thieves or orcs. But dogs are just bad mojo for mage units. I mentioned in my above post that I only use heavy melee units fairly rarely and only against a few combinations of enemies. Well, most of the combinations I do use heavy melee against involve dogs. Specifically, enemy combos of dogs with heavy range or dogs with heavy melee are when I use heavy melee.

If I am against an enemy combo of heavy range/light melee or heavy melee/light melee and the enemy light melee units are thieves or orcs, I usually just send in 5 units of Priests. I would note that I have Dragon Abbey, a level 10 Fire Phoenix, and I usually have a 5 day mage building active when I am doing tournament and spire. With all this help, my Priests are good enough that they can usually deal with a couple of light melee units and suffer little losses as long as those light melee units are not dogs.

Last edited:

CrystalBlue

@CrystalBlue Dogs are the bane of mage units. Of all the light melee units they are by far the strongest against mage units. Your Priests will often be able to deal with a few enemy light melee units if they are thieves or orcs. But dogs are just bad mojo for mage units. I mentioned in my above post that I only use heavy melee units fairly rarely and only against a few combinations of enemies. Well, most of the combinations I do use heavy melee against involve dogs. Specifically, enemy combos of dogs with heavy range or dogs with heavy melee are when I use heavy melee.

If I am against an enemy combo of heavy range/light melee or heavy melee/light melee and the enemy light melee units are thieves or orcs, I usually just send in 5 units of Priests. I would note that I have Dragon Abbey, a level 10 Fire Phoenix, and I usually have a 5 day mage building active when I am doing tournament and spire. With all this help, my Priests are good enough that they can usually deal with a couple of light melee units and suffer little losses as long as those light melee units are not dogs.
LOL k, so I'm not the only one who hates the hounds. My fire phoenix is only at 6 and I'm hoping for enough shards to finish the Abbey with this tourney. I do have 1 - 5 day mage boost in my goodie box. I'm gonna have to start watching the crafting items to look for more mage boosts. So Sanc goes in tonight, Abbey sometime this week and watch for crafting items. .......live with the hounds lol

Thank You Everyone. You've been a big help! Greatly appreciated. You're the BEST!!!!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Thank you, Henroo. i have problems defending mage units against the hounds without the use of heavy melee. would love to use mage more often but not sure how to run mage without heavy melee. any input would be greatly appreciated.

When in doubt, always to use ranged troops before melee. You will get attacks in sooner and maybe avoid being hit twice before your melee can even get close enough to attack. Heavy ranged is good against those dogs. And even light ranged with the disadvantage against light melee can win fights because they usually get to attack first. Also, if your squads are bigger or more advanced in level than the enemy, don't be afraid to use same type as the enemy.

CrystalBlue

When in doubt, always to use ranged troops before melee. You will get attacks in sooner and maybe avoid being hit twice before your melee can even get close enough to attack. Heavy ranged is good against those dogs. And even light ranged with the disadvantage against light melee can win fights because they usually get to attack first. Also, if your squads are bigger or more advanced in level than the enemy, don't be afraid to use same type as the enemy.
OH WOW! TY! wasn't sure what to use on the hounds. that's awesome Eneyhar. You're GREAT!!!!!

CrystalBlue

Been playing with mages today in tourney. trying different combos to get the biggest bang. set up my AW last night so those will help also. Forgot to pull out my culture for mage boost this morning lol gonna go do that now. TY TY TY you all really are GREAT!

CrystalBlue

I took everything you all told me to heart :) these are the results. Crystal, my small account, scored 4278 on this last tourney and Sharcott my big account scored 5274. Both left open provinces in the field. We did hit 10 chests as a FS.

Guys, I want you to know. I have NEVER done this well in any tourney. I owe it all to you! Thank you so very much. I will continue learning and put the info that I gain from you to good use.
Shar