• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Away Feature

StarLoad

Another thought in favor of this. When the original idea was proposed, I think chapter 16 was the newest one, but with unurium added in chapter 17 and ascended goods in chapter 18-20, there is a lot more to lose to decay. That may mean this has a better chance now.
Yes as more than half the chapters include goods that decay, it might be good timing indeed.

StarLoad

In order to show the need for this can I get examples from any of you that describe in detail the problems encountered upon returning to the game after an absence, of any reason. The more detailed the better as not only should we have a valid Idea but a very good reason that this is needed and a desirable change to make.

Ed

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I can't say because I do not think I have missed a day logging in since before I started using the app to complement the browser version. It has not mattered where I was or whether I had wifi available or had to use my cell service to connect.

StarLoad

Does anybody have examples to share? I can't be the only player ever affected in this manner?

Ed

AtaguS

I'd like the option of a week or more away without having all my hard work disappear.
The idea of goods that decay over night is a good one for the game. It forces a player to address the issue with a varaiety of creative solutions.
However it should be limited to just a game dynamic, not a demand on my personal time.

I wasn't trying to raise a dang tamagotchi pet when I signed up for this game for goodness sake.

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I have been playing this game a long time and I understand how all the decay stuff works, so if I have to be away for a while, I expect all that to happen. I got caught up on the chapters back when 14 was new, so each time I reached the end of a chapter, and knew it would be a while until a new one was added and the decaying goods would be needed again, I did not stress over everything decaying while I waited for a new chapter. If this type of thing were around at those times, I could have gamed the system and saved my decaying goods and taken a couple of weeks, or more, off from the game. So while something like an Away feature that freezes your account for a set minimum amount of time is good for people with emergencies, that is the only reason I see it should be used. If you can figure out a way to make this suggestion not abusable, then go for it.

On a totally separate line, I also wonder how the EU privacy laws, that all the servers have to follow, play into why the 2020 suggestion went nowhere because making a system where the players are required to tell Inno why they need to be Away may be giving them more private information than the laws allow.
Both you and Ed make excellent points. An away feature would be great, but I can also see your point and don't believe Inno will ever implement it.

Darielle

as stated "If your only objection is that INNO expects players to participate every day, when even INNO's Employees get vacation time, is not logical, are they required to take their laptops with them to do work each day of their vacation? I think not. Also, there are times in life when spending time playing a game is not a priority, as one can imagine over the last 2 years".
I understand your reasoning, but I think that's an entirely different point. Don't get me wrong; I'd love an away feature. But playing a free game that has certain rules and willingly accepting them is entirely different than a company expecting their employees to work on their vacation time, which would open up a whole can of worms with labor laws, overtime pay, etc, etc, etc.

As much as this would be great, I can see this from the other side, too. For example, yesterday I researched a tech that wanted so much marble that I went from nearly a million down to next to nothing. I can't play the spire until I build back up. I chose to research that tech, and I really had no choice if I wanted to progress. In Inno's reasoning, I'm sure they think that losing resources is part of the game.

Besides, when will Inno EVER agree to lock a player out of their game for 7 days, except in cases of abuse? ... That's 7 days where they can't advertise, can't get you to buy, etc. You may say, "Well, I would be on vacation! I wouldn't see those ads anyway!" But I look at it from Inno's pov and say "This guy wants to go on vacation. How can we get him to see our ads for the next 7 days? I know! Just make sure his goods decay so he keeps coming back on even while he's away. He might buy something."

The concept is wonderful... but every concept that moves forward has to answer the question: "Will this hurt Inno in any way whatsoever?" with a resounding NO. If you can think of a way where this helps Inno and doesn't hurt their bottom line in ANY possible way, then they might go for it. I don't see it happening here.

Last edited:

AtaguS

The concept is wonderful... but every concept that moves forward has to answer the question: "Will this hurt Inno in any way whatsoever?" with a resounding NO. If you can think of a way where this helps Inno and doesn't hurt their bottom line in ANY possible way, then they might go for it. I don't see it happening here.
You are right - Inno wants to advertise every day to every player.
I wonder though, does it hurt Inno to take a week off advertising to a player now and then? Or do they just lose the chance to advertise?
They'd be losing the chance to advertise either way. Some players don't just choose to go on vacation, RL issues sometimes pulls them away without their choice. Illness, family emergencies, loss of power, travel to less connected places, etc etc.

I think it can be argued also that if a player does need to take a week or more off there is a chance they may choose not to return because they don't want the hastle of rebuilding allllll their decayed goods.
When I was out for a year, for example, I think the prospect of that much rebuilding would have deterred me from ever returning.
A player with RL problems who then feels a lack of enthusiasm about returning and so picks up a different game instead...would hurt Inno far more than letting that player take a break without a penalty.

Yogi Dave

I like the idea. Like many I don't think Inno will go for it, but that's for them to decide and shouldn't deter us from giving the idea to the moderators.

It's been mentioned people will be putting in tickets when they want back in early. Those can, should, and must be denied. I don't think the other side of that coin has been mentioned: People submitting tickets asking for goods to be restored since they left the game due to an emergency and couldn't log in to set "Away". You know this will happen. I imagine people have already been requesting goods being restored, many accompanied by sob stories. The "Away" setting probably will encourage more of these requests accompanied by more sob stories and even rage when denied. This isn't a reason to not request the "Away" setting, but I think it's good to look at unintended consequences which is mainly the people at the ticket desk having to endure ignoring more hard luck stories. Never a fun thing to do.
Since it takes about 10 days of decay, at 10% per day, without the AWs, maybe this should have a minimum 10 day requirement for it to be used?
I still feel 7 days is a simple timeframe for users to understand
I think one week is better than 10 for ed's reason.

Just a little fact: With a 10% decay rate, you lose half your goods in 7 days. So, in 2 weeks you have a quarter of what you started with. With a maxed AW, decay is reduced to 2% when means 34 days before losing half your goods.

StarLoad

I like the idea. Like many I don't think Inno will go for it, but that's for them to decide and shouldn't deter us from giving the idea to the moderators.
Thank you all for your opinions and this really sums it up, let's give it to the Devs and let them decide.

To counter the "Lockout" what if we had the decay reduced to "x%" when enabled and if/once you open your city it deactivates the "away" and the decay resets to normal?

Also, the maximum "away" can be set to 2 consecutive thus providing a max of two weeks of continuous "away" period?

Ed

AtaguS

To counter the "Lockout" what if we had the decay reduced to "x%" when enabled and if/once you open your city it deactivates the "away" and the decay resets to normal?

Also, the maximum "away" can be set to 2 consecutive thus providing a max of two weeks of continuous "away" period?
I'd vote yes on this

StarLoad

I don't think the other side of that coin has been mentioned: People submitting tickets asking for goods to be restored since they left the game due to an emergency and couldn't log in to set "Away". You know this will happen. I imagine people have already been requesting goods being restored, many accompanied by sob stories. The "Away" setting probably will encourage more of these requests accompanied by more sob stories and even rage when denied.
You might have a point but I would counter that the same number of tickets would be generated with or without the "away" feature as the player base would be unchanged.

Ed

Darielle

You are right - Inno wants to advertise every day to every player.
I wonder though, does it hurt Inno to take a week off advertising to a player now and then? Or do they just lose the chance to advertise?
They'd be losing the chance to advertise either way. Some players don't just choose to go on vacation, RL issues sometimes pulls them away without their choice. Illness, family emergencies, loss of power, travel to less connected places, etc etc.

I think it can be argued also that if a player does need to take a week or more off there is a chance they may choose not to return because they don't want the hastle of rebuilding allllll their decayed goods.
When I was out for a year, for example, I think the prospect of that much rebuilding would have deterred me from ever returning.
A player with RL problems who then feels a lack of enthusiasm about returning and so picks up a different game instead...would hurt Inno far more than letting that player take a break without a penalty.
That's a good point. It's hard to say what would hurt them more. But my gut tells me they would err on the side of the decay, as part fo the strategy to keep players in the game on a daily basis. It's much easier to leave the game if you leave it for a few days first. You get it out of your head and you get out of the habit of daily collecting. I think they'd want to discourage that at all costs. If you're addicted daily, on the other hand, then it's really hard to stop if you're worried about your sentients. But you do have a very valid point there. As I said, it's hard to say.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
As far as specifics Ed, I would cite the Unurium/Seed conundrum as well. The Trader can only be set for one or the other, and this requires at least one high level Wonder to generate and / or preserve mana. When the research requires disgusting amounts of sentients, seeds to make said goods, mana for research, seeds for factory upgrades, etc etc the idea of taking a week off is exhausting.

DeletedUser27062

as stated "If your only objection is that INNO expects players to participate every day, when even INNO's Employees get vacation time, is not logical, are they required to take their laptops with them to do work each day of their vacation? I think not. Also, there are times in life when spending time playing a game is not a priority, as one can imagine over the last 2 years".

Welcome back Ed. I too spent time away caring for a family member but was lucky to only face mana decay.

I personally love the idea, will vote for it even, but I believe it will never be approved by devs. You may not think its logical but that's because you're looking at Elvenar as an entertaining hobby and not a money making gaming enterprise where keeping you playing every day is key to cashing in big profits.
Decaying goods is an aversive training technique where the player is 'punished' for not playing. This technique is common in games and is based on B F Skinner's model of behaviour modification via operant conditioning. The point being is to keep people playing no matter what real life throws at them.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
There is some sort of workaround for the goods that can be traded. If some of your fellows (or a player you know outside your fs since sentient/ascending trades are global) could use your goods then give them away before leaving and then they can give you goods back once you return.

Darielle

There is some sort of workaround for the goods that can be traded. If some of your fellows (or a player you know outside your fs since sentient/ascending trades are global) could use your goods then give them away before leaving and then they can give you goods back once you return.
That's a good idea, Fairy.