• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Bad planning for daily quests in Events

Rocce Sqirl

This bugs me. As I write this (1 am Saturday morning Central Daylight Time):
• The Tournament has 14 hours to go, ending at 3 pm Saturday
• The next daily quest in the Phoenix Cult event becomes available at 7 pm Saturday
• The next daily quest demands 6 Tournament Encounters (or 6 regular; I'd rather do the Tournament)
• Tournament encounters won't be possible until Tuesday.
It is just bad planning to require something that happens on a predictable date (all the daily quests) but is impossible until three days afterward. It would have been an easy matter to say, "Hey, let's put solving tournament encounters on a date when the tournament is actually happening. Like do it as #16 on April 6 instead of #13 on April 3."

Aritra

1. I agree. A very avoidable inconvenience.
On the upside, if you're on dailies, and there nearly two weeks left in the event, then you have time to sit back for a couple of days. Though, it can already be painful finishing the quest within minutes of the quest-day change and having to watch that countdown nearly twenty-four hours to do the next... So, yeah, I don't want to wait an extra few days either so I'll likely do regular encounters (typically more expensive) just because I am impatient.
2. I wondered how long it would take before someone posted about this... ;)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I got stuck last week for 2 days because the tournament ended and I had NO more encounters I could do. None. Since it takes over 4 days to scout a province I just can't keep up even though I do them continuously. Ditto for the Spire. Since I always finish it in 3 days I often don't have Spire Encounters I can do either. Of course, the answer to that is to take it slower on the Spire and I have tried to remember to do that, but still, it's rather annoying when you have to wait days to do the next quest.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit on the subject. I feel much better. ;)

AJ

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
There was a badly planned Spire quest towards the end that made things very difficult on Beta. They moved the starting date, and the tournament quests that worked if one was caught up are now an issue. Personally I knew this would come up and planned to have provinces open.

CrusaderMichael

Though technically you could say it doesn't seem right... as you mention, they do give you the option of doing the other encounters not just tourney.

99% of players, at least, are not caught up to the dailies yet. This quest works for them.

It's only you top 1% of diehard players that are messed with and even then only in that you have to fight one place VS the other, and even then you'll finish all the dailies in time anyway.

So this is a non issue to me entirely but i will like your post anyway cuz i like your avatar picture a lot.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I always assumed that this was done on purpose since they've done it for the past several events.
These quests always have an alternative so what we are really getting is
"Solve 6 map encounters or wait 4 days and solve 6 tournament encounters"

Gladiola

@SoggyShorts unless you are a new player and it really means "Solve 6 map encounters or wait 4 days and solve 4 tournament encounters and then wait 16 hours to complete another 2 tournament encounters because you only have 4 provinces open"

I take it as a test of my patience and commitment to not completing province encounters before I'm good and ready, dammit!

Rocce Sqirl

I always assumed that this was done on purpose since they've done it for the past several events.
If that's done on purpose, it is just mean-spirited, and I don't really believe the Inno people are evil like that. So I believe it is simply a case of not really paying attention to the timeframe of what they are asking. Therefore my request is simply to do exaxctly that -- when they ask for something to be done make sure that, all else being equal, it is physically possible to do it!
I would add, just to erase any confusion, I ask that it be possible on the DAY it comes up. So for example, Daily Quest #17 comes up April 7 and includes "Solve 8 Spire Encounters." The Spire will be active on April 7, Wednesday, so the quest is possible. But if YOU don't get to Quest #17 until Saturday (April 10) when the Spire is down, that's your problem.

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
If that's done on purpose, it is just mean-spirited, and I don't really believe the Inno people are evil like that. So I believe it is simply a case of not really paying attention to the timeframe of what they are asking. Therefore my request is simply to do exaxctly that -- when they ask for something to be done make sure that, all else being equal, it is physically possible to do it!

There will always be some quest or other that is much more difficult for a few players, but that does not mean it has to be made easier. Everything has an OR to it. You don't have any Troop Instants? Then do the OR task. It is a day the Spire or Tournament are not available? Do the OR task or deal with it and do map encounters. You are at the end of chapter 17 and have zero researches left? Do the OR task, even if it is something annoying like get 20 or 25 VV. Scout a province that takes 4+ days to complete? Do the OR task. Every one of these I had to deal with in this event, but no big deal because there was an alternative task to do.

The only time we have a right to complain and get Inno to change it is if there is no OR task. And believe me, we do take care of that on Beta. Many events have had quests with no OR for something difficult and the Beta players made sure the devs knew it had to be fixed.

Rocce Sqirl

There will always be some quest or other that is much more difficult for a few players, but that does not mean it has to be made easier. Everything has an OR to it. You don't have any Troop Instants? Then do the OR task. It is a day the Spire or Tournament are not available? Do the OR task or deal with it and do map encounters. You are at the end of chapter 17 and have zero researches left? Do the OR task, even if it is something annoying like get 20 or 25 VV. Scout a province that takes 4+ days to complete? Do the OR task. Every one of these I had to deal with in this event, but no big deal because there was an alternative task to do.
The only time we have a right to complain and get Inno to change it is if there is no OR task. And believe me, we do take care of that on Beta. Many events have had quests with no OR for something difficult and the Beta players made sure the devs knew it had to be fixed.
Apples and oranges. If YOU can plan ahead and don't, that's on you. If Inno can plan ahead and doesn't, that's on them.
I do plan ahead. I get the quest list off Gems of Elvenar and figure out what I need. That's the trick to getting to the end every time, and I do. But I cannot PLAN to have a Tournament or a Spire available when Inno says to do something with it on that specific day.
If Inno gives the option to do a Tournament or Spire task on a given day (which only applies to the Daily Tasks at the end), it damn well ought to be available to do on that day!
This is not about difficulty of the task. This is about lack of planning. I'm not asking that it be easier, I'm asking that it be possible.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Apples and oranges. If YOU can plan ahead and don't, that's on you. If Inno can plan ahead and doesn't, that's on them.
I do plan ahead. I get the quest list off Gems of Elvenar and figure out what I need. That's the trick to getting to the end every time, and I do. But I cannot PLAN to have a Tournament or a Spire available when Inno says to do something with it on that specific day.
If Inno gives the option to do a Tournament or Spire task on a given day (which only applies to the Daily Tasks at the end), it damn well ought to be available to do on that day!
This is not about difficulty of the task. This is about lack of planning. I'm not asking that it be easier, I'm asking that it be possible.

Today was perfectly possible because I had a world map province scouted and waiting. I did not care that the OR to that was tournament encounters.

Rocce Sqirl

So because you don't care everybody else has to do it your way?
The whole concept of options is to provide a choice. Why even offer an option if the option is not possible?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
So because you don't care everybody else has to do it your way?
The whole concept of options is to provide a choice. Why even offer an option if the option is not possible?

Why was it not an option for you? All you said in your previous post was that you preferred to not use world map encounters, not that you could not. From your opening post:

The next daily quest demands 6 Tournament Encounters (or 6 regular; I'd rather do the Tournament)

If you said you could not because you had nothing scouted, you should have said so in the beginning and saved a lot of posts.

If that had been me, with my 100+ hour scout times, if I just had to complete it today, I would have burned some Time Instants to have a province ready.

Pheryll

Set Designer
The Elvenar staff keeps on having these quests Beta tested on a different day of the week than when it hits live. The Beta testers tend to complain when they get tournament/spire quests that do not fit their schedule. When the quests go to live, guess what feedback has been used?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The Elvenar staff keeps on having these quests Beta tested on a different day of the week than when it hits live. The Beta testers tend to complain when they get tournament/spire quests that do not fit their schedule. When the quests go to live, guess what feedback has been used?

Yep, events have almost always start on a different day of the week on Beta than on Live, yet they never adjust for it.

Aritra

Yep, events have almost always start on a different day of the week on Beta than on Live, yet they never adjust for it.
I find it odd that Beta would start on a different day. Yes, it's weeks ahead, but if they want Live to start on a Tuesday (for example), why not start the Beta on a Tuesday (and adjust dailies timeline so that spire/tourney option coincides with spire/tourney being open)? Easy solution. *shrug* They're not stupid so it is an odd oversight to me, so I wonder what the reason could be.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I find it odd that Beta would start on a different day. Yes, it's weeks ahead, but if they want Live to start on a Tuesday (for example), why not start the Beta on a Tuesday (and adjust dailies timeline so that spire/tourney option coincides with spire/tourney being open)? Easy solution. *shrug* They're not stupid so it is an odd oversight to me, so I wonder what the reason could be.

I never figured that one out or ever asked. For the longest time, Beta has started stuff mainly on Tuesday or Friday and Live would start the same stuff on Monday or Thursday.

Rocce Sqirl

Why was it not an option for you? All you said in your previous post was that you preferred to not use world map encounters, not that you could not. From your opening post:

If you said you could not because you had nothing scouted, you should have said so in the beginning and saved a lot of posts.

If that had been me, with my 100+ hour scout times, if I just had to complete it today, I would have burned some Time Instants to have a province ready.

What really gets me is you are completely missing the point that the quest offers an option in a daily quest which is not possible on the day it is offered. Which is just bad planning.
But you seem to insist on framing it as me complaining about a personal inconvenience. So I'll let you in on something. Saturday's daily quest was "Solve 6 Encounters and/or solve 6 Tournament Encounters" when the Tournament was not active. I had already planned ahead and used the option to solve six World encounters because at the same time my bottom regular quest was "Solve 4 Encounters." So I did both simultaneously. I planned it that way. Two birds, one stone. It was not a personal inconvenience because I never intended to use Tournament Encounters this time.
I just recognize the idiocy of offering players an option that is not possible, and ask Inno to plan ahead so as not to do that.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
the quest offers an option in a daily quest which is not possible on the day it is offered. Which is just bad planning.
Or, clever planning to make one option more challenging. It's been like this for 4 events and it is brought up every time it happens on Beta so I'm certain that they are aware of it which to me implies that it's on purpose.
That, or since there are only ~4 quests in events anymore they simply don't have any other quests to fill the gap between tournaments
"Gain supplies and CCs
"Gain T1 goods and train troops"
"Gain...ummm... supplies? and Spell fragments?
:p

DeletedUser25392

This bugs me. As I write this (1 am Saturday morning Central Daylight Time):
• The Tournament has 14 hours to go, ending at 3 pm Saturday
• The next daily quest in the Phoenix Cult event becomes available at 7 pm Saturday
• The next daily quest demands 6 Tournament Encounters (or 6 regular; I'd rather do the Tournament)
• Tournament encounters won't be possible until Tuesday.
It is just bad planning to require something that happens on a predictable date (all the daily quests) but is impossible until three days afterward. It would have been an easy matter to say, "Hey, let's put solving tournament encounters on a date when the tournament is actually happening. Like do it as #16 on April 6 instead of #13 on April 3."
If you think that's bad, wait til #74,,,collect 16 relics. This is on a day when there is no relic tournament so you need to craft(do not collect prior to the quest being unlocked)as many as you can and/or have some scouted territory available. Also maybe 1 or 2 in a help chest. With luck, all 3 help chests.

Last edited by a moderator: