• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Badge placement on World Map

truelinor

OK, so I know this will never be done, but I thought I'd just mention it for conversation, mainly, and to see how many people will laugh at me...

I thought - wouldn't it be great if we could rearrange how members in our fellowship placed their badges on the map? I mean, wouldn't that be simply amazing?!

Example: OK, so we really don't need to waste those 3 badges on that particular way point because, well, after all, who's going to have 62 more of them, right? So, let's just add them to this way point that's almost finished anyway and - Waa-lah! We've just gained 900 points just like that! *snaps fingers smartly* :cool:

NightshadeCS

Lol. Every. Single. Time.

People have thrown the suggestion out quite a few times of giving the Mages the ability to lock or unlock waypoints, which would save a lot of hard feelings. It seems the devs are reluctant to grant such powers, though. I guess they figure that people should be expected to read messages and synthesize information instead, which I have found is far too much to expect from a good percentage of folks (said with all the fondest regards in the world).

Veesviewpoint

You know, it truly is a shame...25 folks trying to communicate via chat and mail messages and thread lines, using PC's and most via mobile phones...difficult at best...many mates being new, many having jobs/school/children who really don't have the time to look back through "all" messages to decipher the last valid instructions either from AM/Mages...or someone takes it into their on hand, by will or accident and starts placing badges anywhere, everywhere, so they can be counted in that stage...then others following suit...only to have to make up those badges...usually by the few who commit to stay up 24/7 to "redirect" team....yes very long sentence...
And for a game that is to assist on "communication and team building participation", becomes frustrating for all involved to say the least. Realize after doing this a dozen or so times...it will "smooth out" for the team?

Meanwhile, after FA, there is lots of work to do to encourage the team and mend fences...so to speak of re communications/badge placements. For those who have been doing this for years...please remember how it was probably for some of you in the beginning.

I would love any idea that would assist in FA badge placement...trail/path design and coordination, etc. Then as experienced this time, haning on and hanging in to do "The Pit" down to the wire...can cost you the opportunity to finally get that extra artifact, but miss out on the conversion to the Brown Bear...so disappointing. The main reason, along with a chance to obtain a better ranking...the reason we stayed on and in the FA game to the last minute.

Supposedly an extra day = extra hours to complete the FA... led confusion as to when that day "ended"...and when the crafting opportunity would expire. Please, hope against hope, that the craft conversion will show up again...if not permanently gone!

truelinor

You know, it truly is a shame...25 folks trying to communicate via chat and mail messages and thread lines, using PC's and most via mobile phones...difficult at best...many mates being new, many having jobs/school/children who really don't have the time to look back through "all" messages to decipher the last valid instructions either from AM/Mages
Perhaps we could get something like a sticky note within the FA itself where a certain few could post the latest goals, where to add the next badges, which ones to make, etc. Then the information would be in a specific place where members would know to look and not have to wad through messages or chat, if it is even in the chat and not lost there.

Idk.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I agree that getting people to stick to the waypoints you have determined to do and avoid the ones you aren't doing is a major problem. And while I think the coding of the ability for mages or AM's to move badges from one waypoint to another if the waypoint isn't completed yet, is a great idea and would give us the ability to "fix" mistakes and maximize the power of the badges we have, the down sides is it would also mean the ranking in the FA would less reflect the ability of the FS to communicate, organize, and discipline themselves. As an FA that is becoming better and better at exactly those aspects of the FA reducing their importance woudl hurt us. So, in the end, is the FA about the ability of a team to work together and, at least in part, a measure of that ability, or is it more about simply managing the efficient use of badges to get as far as the fs can? I think I lean toward the former more, perhaps, as mentioned, because we are getting better and better at it. Making the change you envision would reduce that part of the "success equation," and not be, at least for us, a good thing.

AJ

Veesviewpoint

I agree that getting people to stick to the waypoints you have determined to do and avoid the ones you aren't doing is a major problem. And while I think the coding of the ability for mages or AM's to move badges from one waypoint to another if the waypoint isn't completed yet, is a great idea and would give us the ability to "fix" mistakes and maximize the power of the badges we have, the down sides is it would also mean the ranking in the FA would less reflect the ability of the FS to communicate, organize, and discipline themselves. As an FA that is becoming better and better at exactly those aspects of the FA reducing their importance woudl hurt us. So, in the end, is the FA about the ability of a team to work together and, at least in part, a measure of that ability, or is it more about simply managing the efficient use of badges to get as far as the fs can? I think I lean toward the former more, perhaps, as mentioned, because we are getting better and better at it. Making the change you envision would reduce that part of the "success equation," and not be, at least for us, a good thing.

AJ

Veesviewpoint

ajqtrz, as a reader of the Forum 2 years prior to joining a couple years ago...I've enjoyed and become a disciple of so many of you...also, realize...I really don't always agree...but willing to let time and game play prove itself.
With respect to my earlier post...and truthfully, unsure who and how any response would bear upon me...simply wanted the opportunity, not to complain...but as so many of you have done over the years...brought to the attention of team mates and INNO the need to review/possibly change various game elements.

I will never challenge any of you regardining the numerics of it all...and thank you for the insight, because then I go back and do the math myself. :)

While respecting every/anyone's point of view...I find the following concepts:
1. AM/Mages = Communicate, organize and self-discipline of all team mate's the ultimate goal.
2. AM/Mages= Managing badge efficiency and use of such badges the end all of goals.

I feel that honestly that I can say AM/Mages have no desire to walk in those shoes...however, once on their feet, they must coordinate any and everything that affects FA event play and the team...from health, personal, family, scholl work etc. daily life events...how much sweeter...to be able to check in...to a locale...and drop a badge or goods, for another mate to assist with creation of a badge via goods, etc. I don't see how in the least or most that could become a monarch type of environment...especially when many AM's have other cities...and the Mages need to have the trust and respect from not only the AM, but the team mates too.

Thanks AJ and please be as kind as possible with your remarks, I've learned so much from you and others over the years... and will repect appropriate insight from all...thanks again! We are all still trying to learn, respectfully...veesviewpoint

Retat-C

I agree with Tru. In addition, what I've always wanted was the badges to be pooled into one basket, then anyone could place the FS's badges where needed. Or better yet, only assigned players (assigned by the AM) can place the FS's accumulated badges where they are needed. And as long as you are producing badges, you will get the prizes.

NightshadeCS

I personally think some aspects of the FA could use a change, but while we are dealing with it the way it is, here are my tips for a successful FA:

1. Know your people. Some will always be throwing those badges everywhere. They don't read the chats, don't read the messages, etc. Either accept it and include some "shrink" in your badge calculations, or recruit specifically for people who like spreadsheets and toeing the line.
2. Try changing your FS flag color to the path you are aiming at. It seems trivial, but just that little reminder that people can see from the FA screen can make a huge difference.
3. Try stating in one thread that you do not want replies and post all instructions there. You can reiterate those in chat, but make sure you always have a solid plan for people in an easily found spot. Depending on the FA, sometimes that meant a different thread per day, sometimes just one for the entire FA.
4. Avoid recriminations. It rarely does any good and increases hard feelings even from bystanders.

truelinor

...the down sides is it would also mean the ranking in the FA would less reflect the ability of the FS to communicate, organize, and discipline themselves. As an FA that is becoming better and better at exactly those aspects of the FA reducing their importance woudl hurt us. So, in the end, is the FA about the ability of a team to work together and, at least in part, a measure of that ability, or is it more about simply managing the efficient use of badges to get as far as the fs can? I think I lean toward the former more, perhaps, as mentioned, because we are getting better and better at it. Making the change you envision would reduce that part of the "success equation," and not be, at least for us, a good thing.
I can certainly understand what you're saying, and when I posted this thread, I wasn't really being serious (I was hoping people would be able to tell that...?) but just really wishful thinking, I guess. But I agree that the Fellowship Adventure is the part of the game where we as a fellowship pull together more than any other aspect, so learning to communicate with each other is definitely key. I still do not know quite how to deal with people who do not reply to messages, either in chat or in private message format. I realize some people do not like that aspect of the game, but, well, I do and I find it necessary for understanding if someone else has understood what I have said.

But overall, I do think I like the idea of the FA being about the "ability of the FS to communicate, organize, and discipline themselves."
I personally think some aspects of the FA could use a change, but while we are dealing with it the way it is, here are my tips for a successful FA:

1. Know your people. Some will always be throwing those badges everywhere. They don't read the chats, don't read the messages, etc. Either accept it and include some "shrink" in your badge calculations, or recruit specifically for people who like spreadsheets and toeing the line.
2. Try changing your FS flag color to the path you are aiming at. It seems trivial, but just that little reminder that people can see from the FA screen can make a huge difference.
3. Try stating in one thread that you do not want replies and post all instructions there. You can reiterate those in chat, but make sure you always have a solid plan for people in an easily found spot. Depending on the FA, sometimes that meant a different thread per day, sometimes just one for the entire FA.
4. Avoid recriminations. It rarely does any good and increases hard feelings even from bystanders.
You are a GENIUS! Seriously! The flag color? I am SO going to do that next time! Thanks! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before myself, now that I think about it.

aerondor

Maybe an "Easy" solution would not be so much locking areas, as giving some titles the ability to mark a tile or a set of tiles as the "preferred" path on a map. Then folk can still drop a badge on an off-path to "check-in" to the map, but when folk are focused on getting through it, there is a clearly preferred next step(s).

Would save all those messages about "are we on blue this level?"

truelinor

Maybe an "Easy" solution would not be so much locking areas, as giving some titles the ability to mark a tile or a set of tiles as the "preferred" path on a map. Then folk can still drop a badge on an off-path to "check-in" to the map, but when folk are focused on getting through it, there is a clearly preferred next step(s).

Would save all those messages about "are we on blue this level?"
That's an interesting idea - not sure how much work that would be to code it though. My problem is, when people "check in", they don't usually do so with just one badge. I've found quite a few people will place a lot of badges, and on wps we will never complete. I can understand, and encourage, people to place one badge, any badge, anywhere to get the prizes, but if you have 8 blacksmiths, you could just place one on a wp that requires 25, you know? And save the 7 for the next stage, where we will be sure to need them!

Not sure what you mean by "Would save all those messages....." Oh, do you mean, it would prevent all of those type messages?

NightshadeCS

I would be happy if the map simply had numbers on the waypoints to ease communications. Yes, you can agree as a group what they are, but without folks being able to see them on the map, it is pretty much pointless. The people who pay attention would know where to donate anyway, and the ones that always struggle would still struggle.