• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Barrack size with catering ??

• Thread starter DeletedUser29287
  • Start date

DeletedUser29287

I play on my iPad and mainly cater with the exception of the easiest part of the spire. I’m wondering if upgrading the barracks was the wrong idea. Since the barracks can’t be teleported into inventory for later use nor rebuilt at what level should one stop upgrading the barracks with catering? I would need to keep the training grounds upgraded since they produce the orcs necessary for later chapters?

StarLoad

First off Welcome, and the Training grounds don't make Orcs so no worry there. Second, are you always going to cater no matter the cost? I was that way and I had to switch over to battle once the costs were increased past the point of production. That is the question for you to consider.

Huor

The training grounds produce the orc warrior (heavy melee) and the orc strategist (heavy range). They are combat troops. As @ed1960 said, the armories and orc nests produce orcs that are used as catering currency. I think the hero's forge aw from chapter 8 also makes them (not there yet, but I'n going to have one of those!).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29287

If space is precious in the game why would I invest that into a bunch of military ancient wonders in the off chance catering will come too expensive?

Alram

Flippers just flip
I have a ch9 catering only city on Felyndral. Barracks is upgraded to 5 and I have zero armories and other military buildings.
All orcs are from orc nests.
AWs are GA, WR, MH, PT, and BTG.
I do think catering is going to become too expensive at some point. I'm going to keep catering until I can't cater anymore.
I currently average about 4k in tourney and I complete the Spire every week. :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The Heroes Forge does produce orcs. I'm just confirming that.

I cater the Spire completely. I cater my provinces encounters completely. I think, if I were to replace all my military with goods production, I could probably cater the tournament and maintain at least a 4000 point average. I'm in ch 17 and with a minimum of production (3 T1, 1 T3, a large library farm and various other productions buildings), I seldom have a shortage of goods. In fact, never. So if I removed the 5 armories and relied on my 23 Orc nests, then replaced them with some goods production I think that would be enough...especially if I upgraded my Mountain Hall to lvl 30 (or whatever the maximum might be.). So can you cater all the way? I think you can. If so, then the military would be a waste to improve/upgrade after having enough to produce the needed orcs and an occasional quest.

AJ

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Someone in my FS catered until Amuni and then had to put down Training Ground and Merc Camp bc costs were getting too high as @ed1960 mentioned. As a fighting city, I was shocked to learn this bc that's like chopping off an arm and a leg to not have 2/3 military buildings producing around the clock. I suppose playing without them can be done! But if it's true you have to eventually mix it up with some fighting even if you're a predominantly catering city, I would just start training even if you're not using them now. Have them camp out and play cards. I've always like putting a new military building down right away bc you can only make one type of troops for awhile so you end up with a giant stack. I got my doggies and blossoms up to 500 squads before I sent them all to their deaths. Now I'm scraping barrel to have enough like everything else.

Iyapo1

I would just start training even if you're not using them now.
Yeah, but with only a low level barracks and no armories my training size/speed is hilarious. I can make 24 sword dancers in 26 minutes with my lv 9 barracks. The lv 1 is so much worse!

On the bright side I have a bunch of Dwarven Armorers, UUU, ELR and MMMs stacking up in inventory gathering dust. I also have some event buildings that spit out troops so I can generally make at least one elvarian guard badge a day during the FA. They will just gather until I decide to start killing them off.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
haha yeah, i sometimes put my armories away for FAs and i have a lvl 27 Needles. it's like training troops on granny gear! it only takes a min to finish all 5 slots. my other city is still trying to get the fabled number of >999+ squads. i had a fighting city that was catering everything for several chapters. all was well until i decided to start a new FS from scratch and had to anchor tourney. now they're all dead :'( i do have over 90 buff buildings over there now though.

Gladiola

If you fight the easiest part of the Spire you should be able to fight the first 2-3 stars of the tournament to the 10th province at least. It could save you some resources (unless you are swimming in goods and coins, in which case probably it would cost you more in supplies for troops than you save on catering)