• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Battle:Tactics, Tips & Tricks

Which army would you choose if entering an elimination style tourney? (equal size/all upgraded)

• Total voters

DeletedUser594

Crystal territories are a breeze if you have Treant. Just find a narrow passage to plug up, hide the archers behind the treants and plug away. I love the pups too. Archers and canon go down like dominoes. The human army really opens up when you get the Paladin. They're like mini trucks. Bash 'em and they just brush it off to keep fighting.

DeletedUser

I love the pups too. Archers and canon go down like dominoes.

Lol! Yeah, I am having fun with that. Is it wrong I picture my ceres in my head in a different way? I send them in and hear the Archers "Okay, string arrow, pull back and ... Look! A puppy!" OM NOM NOM! Cannonneers I hear... "Pour powder in, ram. Place ball in, light wick... Nice puppy. niiiiiiice puppy..." OM NOM NOM!
And any survivors come home looking for more kibbles to munch...
e8aa1dd451fbf05957ab8dbb47feaf4f.jpg

DeletedUser594

I've been playing around with putting in Axe(storm) barbarians instead of Paladin against Knights and they are quite effective. I've been sending cerb's out for archers and a combo of axe/ 1priest/archers(optional) against formations of Knights/archers/dogs and coming out with low casualties- no more than I would expect with paladin. I had to add the knight back in since he was an invisible unit (the bug that just won't quit). First round positioned the Barbarians and sent the one cerb out for the archer, second round axe against knight, cerb finish the archers and came out with both axe about 45% damage, priest intact and one cerb down. I included some other finishing #'s to show what kind of losses I had

28upxll.jpg

2na4cvr.jpg
2061x5s.jpg

DeletedUser594

And this one is for the newer players (I know I'm not supposed to double post but it would be a mess combined-sorry)
My fellowship member asked me about fighting Treants/swamp monsters
Use archers- spread them in a semi circle near some obstacle
-the treant can only go two spaces and have to divert course around obstacles
treant1.jpg

Watch for the trap they like to set when you have an archer backed by a corner they will cut in taking away escape routes:
6tmgx1.jpg

I placed my Treant in a position to make a soft block or something like a screen or pick in basketball-
66nshot_1.jpg

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Thanks for the info. That is a bummer. Stacking would be great but if not then the Mage power should trump the others.

I haven't used the bune sheets for battle but have used it as a resource for most other game aspects.

Elixer is the hardest territory for humans. At even strength I take 4 or 5 provinces. Golums just make it a nightmare.

Some of the tactics you listed I'm not sure I understand:
-Don't mix initiatives... does that mean fight using an entire army with equal initiative? I know I'm reading that wrong...could you explain.
-Attack one unit at a time- I believe that tactic emerged bcs attack strength stayed the same whether there was a full squad of 30 or just 1 troop left. I believe they changed it so there is a drop off in attack strength once 50% (?) of the squad is eliminated (not sure on that number though need verification).
-Why not surrender and replace in silk provinces? There is often times a terrain advantage.

One of my favorite tactics is really a simple one. If a unit is nearly dead and can't survive a retaliation blow I check for a good placement to either block or deflect an enemy.View attachment 293
Instead of attacking and having the Knight kill my cerberus, I just run the cerb right up to him, block him in and end turn, opening up safe ground for the archer. The knight will have to waste a full turn clearing the cerberus out since I didn't attack and die during retaliation.

The damage a squad can do decreases proportionally with each lost unit - but it is not as simple as that!
They changed the way this works a few months ago.
The damage a squad inflicts decreases slightly with each lost member.
But a wounded squad does a little more damage than you’d expect. It does: 10% Basic + (90% of remaining squad proportion) of the original squad’s damage.
This means if a squad of 100 archers suffers damage and there are only 10 left (which is 10% of the original hundred), they will still do 19% of the original squad’s damage. (10% Basic + 90% of 10% = 9%)
This doesn’t matter too much until a squad is severely reduced. Thus you should eliminate any remnants of squads, as they are far more effective than their size indicates.

DeletedUser594

Thanks Jaclyut- if you go back a bit further back you will see Avatrix said the same. I do often times ignore or put on a back burner, finishing an injured unit if I'm pretty certain I'm not going to take a beating for it and other matters press--in the case above with treants there wouldn't ever be a great time to take a hit. Other times it really depends on the match up and squad size for me. If I know they cant do much damage (eg cerberus against my Treant) I'll often times choose to hit a different enemy and let the cerberus or other attacker wear themselves down by counterattack from my troops. At this point I have a feel for the curve of damage drop off, but I wish I had that formula when I started

' thanks for jumping in- if you have a tactic you really like and want to share feel free to take a few screen shots or post a verbal and share the info- it's for all skill levels day one to end of research tree battle tips welcome

DeletedUser61

I've also found that the most reliable troop sequence is
Ranged, Melee, Melee, Ranged, Ranged, so the troops are arrayed symmetrically: Archer, Sword Dancer, Archer, Sword Dancer, Archer

Your melee forces will typically move first, and plug up the center and/or outer edges, depending on the obstacles. That shields your ranged troops , especially Archer and Crossbowmen, from damage on the initial round.

I mostly use Autobattle, so there's not much point to including more than one Sorceress or Priest, because their debuffs won't stack, so I like
Ranged, Heavy, Heavy, Medium, Medium which yields Golem, Treant, Sorceress, Treant, Golem

DeletedUser2309

How does one actually begin to fight? What are the commands on the keyboard used to attack in some way?

DeletedUser594

Use your mouse to scroll the battle field. The spaces you can go to will be yellow. When you scroll over enemies the cursor will turn to a bow and arrow if they are in range for an attack.
Their range will show as red.
You have options on attack. You can do it in two steps or one step.
You can move to a space next to an enemy, then scroll over the enemt and left click to attack. -that way you choose which hex to attack from
or you can scroll over the enemy before moving , wait for cursor change, left click and the AI will choose path and attack.
https://us.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Battle#Basics

DeletedUser61

Or you can click on the Swords on the left edge of the Initiative bar, and watch the autobattle sequencing.

DeletedUser1122

I've been playing around with putting in Axe(storm) barbarians instead of Paladin against Knights
Did you accidentally mix up screen shots for that combat sequence?
The first screen shot shows only one damaged dog with 4 lives left.
The province troops damage shows only 1 damaged unit - bandit (archer?) with 3 lives left
Missing from the province troops are 2 sets of dogs 2 bandits (archers?) and one additional knight.

DeletedUser1122

My fellowship member asked me about fighting Treants/swamp monsters
Could you provide an example of humans fighting Treants/Golem/Necromancer combinations?
My fav combination is negotiate :)

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Here is a link to find and download the latest version of a File called Fighting Strategy 160112.doc.
The file is part of this link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650734901848558/files/

I took many of ThePhantom's ideas and combined them with anything else on Fighting that I could beg, steal or borrow elsewhere, including picking the brains of senior players.
This Doc is free to share with anyone who could benefit from the info.

There are also Photo Albums in the same Facebook Group called 'Fighting Strategy' and 'Fight of the Day', featuring Slideshows that illustrate different Fighting strategies.
These are also free-to-share.
The Facebook Group is free for all to join, for the same reason - helping players of all levels.

I would like:

1. To share this info with as many people as possible;

2. Comments and suggestions from senior experienced players - new ideas and corrections where I have included incorrect / outdated material.
This is very much a Work In Progress!
The section on which combinations to use in each type of province is growing, with ideas from this thread and other sources - but it is FAR FROM COMPLETE!
HELP!!

3. Screenshots of interesting Fights that illustrate one or other tactic would be most welcome for the Fight of the Day section. So far it is almost entirely me who is contributing these - and I am very much NOT an expert on fighting!!

All comments and suggestions are so very welcome.

J

PS I just attached a zipped version of the file for those who do not have Facebook!

Attachments

• Fighting Strategy 160112.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

DeletedUser594

Did you accidentally mix up screen shots for that combat sequence?.
Im sure I did
Could you provide an example of humans fighting Treants/Golem/Necromancer combinations?
My fav combination is negotiate :)

- I was snapping screentshots as I was fighting and it was a mess to organize
I negotiated a lot until Storm Barbarian but its basically been storms headlong into necro and golum-if I feel like i can get 2 rounds with a cerb on a golum I might got for a quick shot- it also pins the golum back in narrow outets. I'll go try some real time and refresh my memory and sharte if anything good ffrom all these notes flyin around helps.

DeletedUser61

To share this info with as many people as possible
Just for starters, access to your document requires folks to have a facebook account, and be logged in. That's by no means a majority of the players, even though InnoGames does have a facebook presence.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Just for starters, access to your document requires folks to have a facebook account, and be logged in. That's by no means a majority of the players, even though InnoGames does have a facebook presence.

I email it to anyone who asks.
It is not suitable to post in the forum because it has tables and I do not know how to post those.
The Forum will not allow me to upload a .doc here.

This is a pity!
Because the best way to share Fighting Strategy Tips is as a single File, which is revised and republished periodically - this works so much better than a thread which has little snippets added on all the time will-he nill-he

Last edited:

DeletedUser61

• You can create really nice BBCode tables. The codes are listed in the help at the lower right corner of each forum page.
  • Just zip the file, and then you can upload it as an attachment.