• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Battle Tactics

DeletedUser

There seems to be no way to complete encounters in battle without sacrificing many a warrior, but I am looking for tactics that minimize the bleeding.

Currently, I use the Sword Dancers as a lightning rod for ranged attacks, Treants to absorb damage after they have fallen and finish the fight, and Sorceresses to soften up the enemies, with Archers thrown in occasionally if I think I can keep from losing them all.

Any advice for a more effective strategy would be appreciated.

DeletedUser

An excellent guide for beginners or those who are new to turn-based strategy. Alas, I was hoping I was missing some "trick" specifically for this game, but it is good to know that my two decades of experience with such things are not wasted here... Of course, it could be argued by some (strange, strange individuals who do not like to play games), that spending so much time playing a game is a waste. XD

DeletedUser43

About the best trick I saw from this game were from the comments and I liked this one:

-crystal provinces : 5 squads of treants will do the job with minimal losses
-magic dust provinces : I will recommend 3 squads of treants and 2 of sorceresses or 3 treants and 2 golems
-scroll provinces : 5 squads of treants if there is no more than 2 squads of crossbow/archers; otherwise bring the sorceresses in !
-general configuration : 3 treants and 2 sorceresses;

And I will repost my own comment:

If you are facing cannoneers and/or archers, the Sorceresses are the best to use against them. They will hit you first, but do not fear. As long as you can swing over and hit each one of them each time with a spell, they can't do any damage back to you again. You have to keep track of which enemy you hit each round though, because that little symbol will stay up there even though the full spell wore off from the last round. If you miss a round with a spell, they can do damage to you again. In this one case, it is best to dole out your damage spread across the enemy as evenly as possible. You want widespread coverage of those spells.

It also doesn't matter how many are left in your squad of sorceresses. One lone little sorc will make the largest archer or cannoneer squad impotent. If you are facing more than 5 squads of these enemies, use your smallest squads against their largest squads. The idea is to get their squads down in number as fast as possible, because those squads that you don't put a spell on will do damage to you each time.

DeletedUser

Aye, I liked how succinct that comment was, and would only add a recommendation to include the Dancers in it, because of how quickly they can be trained. I just cleared a far away elixir province using this method, and only lost a fair amount of Dancers and a few Treants. I will be back up to full strength in a couple hours.

DeletedUser

I probably should of chosen a more appropriate title. >_< But yes, I would like to hear what other players have found success with.

DeletedUser627

Fighting for Dummies (me, mostly...) to simplify Bobbykitty's instruction above:

Plank and Silk Provinces: fight with a combination of Sorcerers (vs archers and cannons) and Golem (3?) against fighters. One sorcerer will provide 100% protection from archer/cannon unit., but sword fighters will beat sorcerers, so match with Golems, not Treants.

Does anyone else find it odd that enemy sword fighters beat our Sorcs...but our fighters don't beat necros?

DeletedUser627

Aye, I liked how succinct that comment was, and would only add a recommendation to include the Dancers in it, because of how quickly they can be trained. I just cleared a far away elixir province using this method, and only lost a fair amount of Dancers and a few Treants. I will be back up to full strength in a couple hours.

Can you clarify? My Dancers are always just slaughtered.

DeletedUser43

This is another person I am quoting from that thread:

As elves:
- steel provinces - I use 4 squads of Golem II, 1 Sorceress. Usually the opposing archers advance, then your Golems can take them out. Next priority is to get at least one Golem unit to attack the Cannoneers, using the sorceress to limit the damage from the Knights. Once the opposing ranged units are all gone, work on one squad of Knights at a time, rotating around the others with the sorceress.
- silk provinces - One or two Treants, two or three Golems, one Sorceress.
- planks province - One Treant, three Golems, one Sorceress (depending on the exact composition of the enemy squads - e.g. sometimes the encounter is two enemy stacks of Treant II (or one T II + 1 Swamp Monster) - then I use 4xGolem + 1 Sorceress)

DeletedUser

Can you clarify? My Dancers are always just slaughtered.
I usually only include one squad of Dancers, place them in the first slot where they draw fire from the Necromancers (specifically for elixir provinces, but I have used it in many others), and then use either two Treants and 2 Sorceresses for a mix of ranged and melee enemies, or one Treant and three Sorceresses if there is a single melee unit in the enemy lineup.

DeletedUser

Fighting for Dummies (me, mostly...) to simplify Bobbykitty's instruction above:

Plank and Silk Provinces: fight with a combination of Sorcerers (vs archers and cannons) and Golem (3?) against fighters. One sorcerer will provide 100% protection from archer/cannon unit., but sword fighters will beat sorcerers, so match with Golems, not Treants.

Does anyone else find it odd that enemy sword fighters beat our Sorcs...but our fighters don't beat necros?
Yes, I do find that odd.

I've tinkered with the Golems, but each time I have suffered heavier losses than I would with a different group, but maybe I have been unlucky as far as the layout of the battleground goes.

DeletedUser43

I don't suppose any moderators can come in and change the title of this very useful thread to "Fighting tips"? Hint hint. :)

DeletedUser43

I didn't realize you could either. Sweet! I just found the button under thread tools. That may be the best tip of this thread! lol

DeletedUser43

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with a mixed group of long range and close range bad guys? I was facing dogs and cannoneers the other day. If I brought in the treants and one sorceress, the dog went after my treants...good thing...but then the cannoneers crushed my treants. When I got a chance to finally move my sorc, she went flying after the cannoneer because there was no place for her to hide...the next move the dog killed her and the cannoneers finished my treants.

So, I tried again....this time all treants...and bam...cannoneers crushed them.

I couldn't figure out any combo.

DeletedUser

Hmm... What was the exact configuration of the enemy troops? Perhaps Treant, Sword Dancer x2, and Sorceress x2 in a full-out charge? Or would the Dancers be taken down too soon?

DeletedUser594

When you say "she" flew at them--makes me think you were on autofight maybe? The auto fight does not make the best decisions in a matchup like that. Maybe something like -
1-2 treant placed where dogs CAN reach
2-3 golum - finish dogs if needed then or straight at canon
1-2 sorceress straight at canon to weaken attack while waiting for golum

I tried to find a territory with that combo to try it out but no luck. However I did find some one with canon and another with dogs.
I brought some troop lvl 32 golum 2 against a canon 108. First hit from canon took off 21 points then golum wiped him out pretty quickly. Against some dogs 235 the golum 32 lost about 13 points For your fight it's going to depend on how many of each at what level. If you manage setup so that treant absorb dog charge you can then damage/kill the dogs while moving as far forward as possible but still striking dogs as needed.
keep us posted
@insanity- yeah the sword would go down one hit most likely

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser43

Oh no, I never use autofight...more like autolose all your troops.

The territory was wide open. One move and the dog was on the four treants who all took a swipe, but that wasn't enough. Then the cannoneer attacked one of the treants and boom....that took care of the whole squad...then it was my sorceress' turn...I could see it didn't matter what I did with her, she was going to die by the dog on the next move....so I used her to go as close to the cannoneer as she could and hit him....she did....the next move I was right...the dog left the treants and came over and killed the sorceresses in one lick (don't you think they look like they are licking you when they attack?). Anyway, after that, the cannoneer just kept killing the treants one squad per move.

I was against two squads....a whole ton of dogs in one and a whole ton of cannoneers in another.

If I can't kill the bad guys with one move, but they can wipe me out with one turn, how is winning some of these fights even possible?