• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Battles becoming to difficult

DeletedUser1010

I play a good bit of turn based strategy games and feel I am not bad at them but here lately I am finding the battles in Elvenar frustrating and making me not want to play anymore. I cant get a feel for damage of the enemy, my troop size seems to always be to small( I have 130size right now but I see a lot of 300+ and even 400+ enemy sizes)I cant plan my troops based on the map terrain(sometimes it can make a dif) bc I don't know what its going to be until I get into the fight, and now I cant click on the little blue ! icon to see the stats of the enemy anymore.( I know you can stroll over it but that's not as detailed) I like that the game is challenging but the battles seem too much so. and it don't help the negotiation costs are high. so my thought is maybe frist have a little picture preview of what the terrain will be and lower the difficulty just a tiny bit or tailor it better to the level the player is at, or at least lower the negotiation cost a bit. any of these wouldn't make the game any less fun, in my eyes it would take some frustration a way and add to my enjoyment of the game. Anyways just my thoughts and opinions. I love Elvenar and think you guys at Innogames are doing a amazing job=)

DeletedUser1083

I agree with Catti on this one. The two-headed dogs are much faster and defensive than my crossbowmen and axe men. It makes this game very tough to continue playing.

DeletedUser1010

I agree with Catti on this one. The two-headed dogs are much faster and defensive than my crossbowmen and axe men. It makes this game very tough to continue playing.
Thanks Freedomultd, Glad to know someone agrees=)

DeletedUser1161

I agree too. Getting relics is too expensive, either in terms of troops lost or negotiation fees. Terrain is frustrating and the enemy has the advantage more often than not. We also don't have good counters to some of the troop types soon enough. Lately I've been getting destroyed by cannoneers. Only my treants can take the heavy damage but they are too slow to move across the map.

DeletedUser1273

I play a good bit of turn based strategy games and feel I am not bad at them but here lately I am finding the battles in Elvenar frustrating and making me not want to play anymore. I cant get a feel for damage of the enemy, my troop size seems to always be to small( I have 130size right now but I see a lot of 300+ and even 400+ enemy sizes)I cant plan my troops based on the map terrain(sometimes it can make a dif) bc I don't know what its going to be until I get into the fight, and now I cant click on the little blue ! icon to see the stats of the enemy anymore.( I know you can stroll over it but that's not as detailed) I like that the game is challenging but the battles seem too much so. and it don't help the negotiation costs are high. so my thought is maybe frist have a little picture preview of what the terrain will be and lower the difficulty just a tiny bit or tailor it better to the level the player is at, or at least lower the negotiation cost a bit. any of these wouldn't make the game any less fun, in my eyes it would take some frustration a way and add to my enjoyment of the game. Anyways just my thoughts and opinions. I love Elvenar and think you guys at Innogames are doing a amazing job=)
I posted same thing on November month. I want preview of the map before go to battle, because to troops takes so much time in training and they died in less than a second, battle is become so difficult to defeat. Other thing is its very difficult to build Ancient Wonder to increase health of the troops. i think we should just farming and buy KP through coins and put in a others ancient wonders until we get one of the them before that game so difficult. I have playing Forge of empires more than 2 years but it never frustrate me at all. we want Elvenar do somthing like in FoE.

DeletedUser1053

In some cases, you need to let your knowledge tree catch up to your expansion. When you get other units, and especially the special abilities. Matching the correct units with the units you are facing makes a huge difference. Terrain is a factor as well. I often have to start the battle with a fast unit, and then figure out which units I need without moving so I can restart the battle and place them in the correct places.

All this being said, it is getting tough for me even with having the right units. If I make one mistake, it can wipe out an entire group and change the battle completely. Also, from everything I hear, the battles eventually become unwinnable at some point.

Battles should be tough, but if they are too tough, then people give up. I do think Inno needs to adjust somehow. either with new units, or adjusting the troops we face, or adjusting what how our units perform.

DeletedUser594

I posted same thing on November month. I want preview of the map before go to battle, because to troops takes so much time in training and they died in less than a second, battle is become so difficult to defeat. Other thing is its very difficult to build Ancient Wonder to increase health of the troops. i think we should just farming and buy KP through coins and put in a others ancient wonders until we get one of the them before that game so difficult. I have playing Forge of empires more than 2 years but it never frustrate me at all. we want Elvenar do somthing like in FoE.

You send in the troops- look at the field- then surrender=no loss. If you haven't read the battle guide posted earlier then you must, it has perhaps the two most important pieces of information not found on the wiki. Namely scouting as I just described, and troop placement. You must have you troops set to avoid/minimize damage from enemies first attack and maximize your attack.

https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/encounters-guide.488/

I'm out on my first two cities (1-human, 1- elven) between rings 8-12 (elven) and I've still got upgrades 18 and 19 at the end of dwarven to unlock but I find the battles currently winnable- with light to moderate losses if the match up is good. The players who say they cannot beat the armies no matter what tend to have been here longer, played through the entire research tree before I even started, and have been fighting aggressively to gain space.
I agree too. Getting relics is too expensive, either in terms of troops lost or negotiation fees. Terrain is frustrating and the enemy has the advantage more often than not. We also don't have good counters to some of the troop types soon enough. Lately I've been getting destroyed by cannoneers. Only my treants can take the heavy damage but they are too slow to move across the map.
The worst period for elven fighters is is right around ring 5- purgatory. Can't beat the canon and sorceress still way out in Kp's...blech. It's a good time to develop your second city while you wait for the troops to catch up. Humans waltz right through that zone with the cereberus.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser594

Light units have initiative of 12- stays the highest throughout and your archer units are second highest w/ initiative of 10.
The enemy troops with highest initiative are war-dog, Orc and, light sword-- all have initiative of 8.
so your sword and archers should always get a turn.

I haven't figured out how they work turns when initiative is the same. Last time I had 4 cerberus against an army that had 2 war-dogs. Mine were slotted 1-4, theirs 1,3.
When fighting they had my cerberus #'s 1,2,3 go, then their wardog in slot #1, then my #4cerb, then their #3.
Is it random or am I just missing the key?

DeletedUser1122

Light units have initiative of 12- stays the highest throughout and your archer units are second highest w/ initiative of 10.
The enemy troops with highest initiative are war-dog, Orc and, light sword-- all have initiative of 8.
so your sword and archers should always get a turn.

I haven't figured out how they work turns when initiative is the same. Last time I had 4 cerberus against an army that had 2 war-dogs. Mine were slotted 1-4, theirs 1,3.
When fighting they had my cerberus #'s 1,2,3 go, then their wardog in slot #1, then my #4cerb, then their #3.
Is it random or am I just missing the key?
I have noticed variations in the starting order with slot 1 and 2 being interchangeably. INNO makes announcements about updates they keep them at a high level but they have been "improving the balance" of the attributes of the units as well. I find Bune's battle calculator is not predicting troop lost with the same high degree that when I started using it. It is still very accurate on outcomes though.

DeletedUser43

What is Bune's battle calculator?

Regarding "improving the balance", my treants were finally useful and used to do extremely well against dogs and thieves and orcs, and now, while they still win, I suffer heavy losses each time.

DeletedUser627

I'm winning more fights than I used to...but still have "stupid" type gaps in my fighting understanding.

Sometimes I can move a unit and subsequently hit with it. Other times I can move the same unit and it will only give me the little turn option. Other time I can move the unit and play goes onto the next unit. The logic is not readily apparent to me, so I never know how my units are going to respond.

I can't control my golems because of this. they're capable of remaining out of reach of most opponents while still delivering a nice hit. Well, if I move them out of reach, one of the above scenarios happens. Or, if I don't move them, and choose to hit, they are idiots and move forward rather than staying where they are.

DeletedUser594

Sometimes I can move a unit and subsequently hit with it. Other times I can move the same unit and it will only give me the little turn option. Other time I can move the unit and play goes onto the next unit. The logic is not readily apparent to me, so I never know how my units are going to respond.

It can be confusing- my first ever post was about this. There are options for movement with or without attack. golum.jpg

Option one: Move then choose to attack or end turn: When you start your turn the hex's that you can move to light up. If you click on a hex that is available your troops will move there--be careful to click only once. When you arrive at the hex you can choose to attack or not if there is an enemy in range. you can scroll over them and wait for the icon to to change to bow and arrow to attackgolum.jpg attack.jpg, or let the icon toggle back to
the end turn symbolendturn.png
Option two: scroll over enemy before moving, wait for bow and arrow/attack icon to appear and click

You can learn the troops range and count hexes to see if an enemy will be in range after your troop gets into position -or- just scroll over enemy before moving and look to see if the attack icon appears. If the enemy is unreachable that turn you will not get the bow and arrow option and if you move to a hex the turn will just end.

It's important to be patient when using option one to be sure the icon is either set to attack or end turn--this cost me a ton of troops early on and still snags me today once in a while.
I hope that makes sense and helps--don't mind my creative icon pics- I can't get a screen shot that captures the cursor

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1053

I almost always move where I want, and then attack. If you just choose to attack straight away, I often don't like where it places my troops and either inhibits my other troops, or leaves me open to attack from the enemy troops.

DeletedUser1407

I agree with the posts here. The game is ridiculously difficult to gain momentum in battle. The exponential increase in difficulty in battle far outpaces any gains you can make in research/troop numbers. This fact alone is probably why the game has such a low retention rate of players. (Most fellowships now only have a few active players at best).

I don't know if Inno actually read this forum, but here are some possible fixes:

There is fun in challenge but futility breeds boredom.

Questions to ponder (Inno):

Why do troop sizes increase exponentially when the players (at best) are stuck in a linear progression. It takes forever to even increase troop size from base to 72/84. In that same time, enemy troop numbers are well into the 244+ range. If each troop size research step were double from 12 to 24, it would help. But not only do troop stacks increase in depth, they increase in width. At some earlier stage, the player should be allowed to increase the number of stacks from five to seven/eight as the enemy does.

Paying the ransom for provinces becomes insanely expensive after just a few rounds. It makes no sense why these fees increase just because of distance from homebase. Plus why do they go from demanding basic goods, to the most premium ones the second they are available. Production is so slow that it would take days just to pay off one of the steps in each province. Game play comes to a standstill just a couple of weeks after starting.

Upgrading troops is painfully slow and expensive. I pushed hard to upgrade each unit thinking that would right the balance. The elf archers took an incredible pile of crystal/scrolls which I had to work very hard to gather. Once accomplished I thought, aha - maybe the archers would now be the death dealing troops much needed instead of the pathetic fodder they had been. Nope, they are barely effectual against many of the troops. Meanwhile, for some inconceivable reason, we have the cannoneers who slaughter troops without mercy. Nothing like trying to win a battle against stacks of them hiding behind the bushes (which always seem to favor them) while nothing can cross the field fast enough to get reach them.

In effect, the game is doomed to a slow demise unless the programmers can dial down the exponential difficulty a bit.

* Reduce exponential progression of enemy troop strenth.
* Likewise, reduce the ransom costs to make "bribing your way out of battle" feasible.
* Re-balance the resource escalation. Where it seems just once you have gotten in a place to actually produce money, goods, steel, planks and marble - they become useless and no research, build, bribe or exchange will have them.
* Increase return on research accomplishments. They seem pretty weak for the amount of time & resources that go into them.
* Have some side battle benefits, like random loot of resources (matched with the province).
* If not a reduction in troop strength, at least have it so that the troops aren't instantly recovered. This makes no sense and is very frustrating. After a fierce battle with severe casualties, it would at least be nice if a second wave could be sent in to finish the job your poor troops worked so hard to wittle down. Why should the player have to spend days rebuilding troops, while the "computer" gets to have the exact same numbers back in five seconds.