• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Battles becoming to difficult

DeletedUser594

Entering the 5th ring of hexes by any chance? lol Your troops get stronger as time goes on both through troop size increases and troop promotions. Each troop is useful in one capacity or another at different times, in different territories, against different troops throughout the game. The archers are really good against heavy troops- Treants, SwampMonsters, Paladin provided you keep out of reach- they're great in crystal territories where 1-3 Treants can block an opening in the bushes while archers shoot from safely behind.
Dogs/Cannon/Golums will eat them alive so placement and distancing are especially important.
If you scout first to see the territory and then place your archers out of reach you can achieve a fair bit of damage with them. I don't know if you've read the battle guide yet but fighting without the information about troop placement/scouting is impossible. But from the sounds of it you're entering the 4th- 5th ring which is a nasty, nasty zone for elves. There is just no answer to the cannon until you get to Sorceress. It's a good time to explore building a second city lol, maybe a human one. The game overall has a better balance than I thought when I started. Troop improvement, squad size upgrades, battle in general, has an ebb and flow to it. They give you room to fight and expand outward but when you reach the limits of your abilities with the type and size of troops you have it's just time to reel it in for a bit- rebuild, focus on other aspects of the game and come back to it when you're troops are stronger. Don't forget each territory you open now is one less territory available to collect runes from after you unlock that tech.
The biggest imbalance I see in those stages of the game is the disparity between humans and elves in that 4th/5th ring. The humans just waltz through it sending 1 hit killer cerebrus out to wipe out canon while the elves have nothing for what feels like ages.
Anyway- best of luck. Here's a link to the battle guide just in case.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/encounters-guide.488/

Trade you Cerebrus for the elves Golem 1 & 2 and Treant 1 & 2 (504 hit points!!!) Sorceress 80% attack reduction. Nice.

I hear that. I have both a human and an elven level 15/dwarven age army in my first two cities The hard part when I'm setting up is remembering who I have! I'll be playing my elven army setting up against enemy formation and I'm thinking 2 treant, 2 archers and a cerberus...doh! Same the other way when using my humans.
I do agree the elven army comes out ahead thus far with sorceress/golums at higher levels. Humans get the edge early but elves overtake them later in sheer force. Human armies still get the tactical advantage imo with the addition of priests. Then you have an opportunity to take on much stronger opponents if you can manage the tactical challenge. Toe to toe an elven army has the firepower and ability to cause and absorb damage but those qualities don't hold up as well when fighting much stronger armies especially if the terrain is a big factor. For me personally the human army is still more fun for those reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1122

Entering the 5th ring of hexes by any chance? lol Your troops get stronger as time goes on both through troop size increases and troop promotions. Each troop is useful in one capacity or another at different times, in different territories, against different troops throughout the game. The archers are really good against heavy troops- Treants, SwampMonsters, Paladin provided you keep out of reach- they're great in crystal territories where 1-3 Treants can block an opening in the bushes while archers shoot from safely behind.
Dogs/Cannon/Golums will eat them alive so placement and distancing are especially important.
If you scout first to see the territory and then place your archers out of reach you can achieve a fair bit of damage with them. I don't know if you've read the battle guide yet but fighting without the information about troop placement/scouting is impossible. But from the sounds of it you're entering the 4th- 5th ring which is a nasty, nasty zone for elves. There is just no answer to the cannon until you get to Sorceress. It's a good time to explore building a second city lol, maybe a human one. The game overall has a better balance than I thought when I started. Troop improvement, squad size upgrades, battle in general, has an ebb and flow to it. They give you room to fight and expand outward but when you reach the limits of your abilities with the type and size of troops you have it's just time to reel it in for a bit- rebuild, focus on other aspects of the game and come back to it when you're troops are stronger. Don't forget each territory you open now is one less territory available to collect runes from after you unlock that tech.
The biggest imbalance I see in those stages of the game is the disparity between humans and elves in that 4th/5th ring. The humans just waltz through it sending 1 hit killer cerebrus out to wipe out canon while the elves have nothing for what feels like ages.
Anyway- best of luck. Here's a link to the battle guide just in case.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/encounters-guide.488/
Trade you Cerebrus for the elves Golem 1 & 2 and Treant 1 & 2 (504 hit points!!!) Sorceress 80% attack reduction. Nice.

DeletedUser1122

Human armies still get the tactical advantage imo with the addition of priests.
How? Please explain. You have an advantage in understanding playing 2 races.
Name...........Attack......HP.....Special Abilities..............................Movement Range/Attack Range
Priest II..........14..........42.......40% Damage to the target for this round............1/14
Sorceress II....14...........63......-80% Target's attack this round..............4/4
Just a note: I have 1,100 relics

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

I like that the game is challenging but the battles seem too much so. and it don't help the negotiation costs are high.
  • If you sprint for the first few miles of a Marathon, you're going to suffer greatly for the entire rest of the race.
  • Why would you expect scouting/negotiation/battle costs/difficulty to be otherwise?
  • Pacing your activities is ALWAYS a major consideration.

DeletedUser1122

Why would you expect scouting/negotiation/battle costs/difficulty to be otherwise?
You are playing human. How do you clear Elixir provinces. I have only collected 1,100 relics to date and mostly battle in all other provinces. In a elixir province I may be able to win up to 3 encounters. The 3rd may take 2 tries. I use Bune's battle calculator and for the other 6 encounters I'm gone by round 4. What is the purpose of having fighting in a game if the fight can not be won.

DeletedUser61

I avoid pushing the limits. Overwhelming force is my preferred strategy. I usually use auto battle, unless there was a configuration that I hadn't seen before, in which case I'll fight manually to ensure that I understand how the battle AI is making its decisions.

"Bitter experience in war has taught the maxim that the art of war is the art of the logistically feasible."
- ADM Hyman Rickover, USN

DeletedUser594

The Golum 2 are pretty darn good. They can crush an archer or cause significant damage to a knight. The Sorceress is fun bcs Golum/Archers can't damage her once she hits them. So 5 Sorceress against 5 Golum/Archers and you can walk away w/ minimal or no damage. I've gotten to Golum 3 on the tree but haven't put any points down as some other needs are more pressing.
The Treants are the heaviest hitters/highest defense but Paladin II starts closing the gap and Paladin 3 "blessed paladin" has 673 hit points and up to 77 attack pts. Treants would be kinda redundant in a human army.
Anyway- i moved our conversation over to a new thread since we are moving more into tactical/strategic discussion that is a bit away from the original intent of this thread and deserves it's own thread in any case. It's in the "questions and help" subforum. I hope we can discuss this some more- I would like to hear your approach.