• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

battling for the first time but farther out in the provinces

DeletedUser15476

I have had 1 battle, on auto, and lost. I have been reading the guides but I seem to need to do to really understand what the guides are saying. I did not fight in chapter 1 and have done the minimum, ie barracks lvl4, armory lvl3. Unfortunately I am out in the provinces having negotiatied my way past easy battles. Tips on how to proceed? I am not a gifted strategist so only being a sometimes battler. Thanks in advance.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Take a look at this thread: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/combat-101.4968/
I didn't even train troops for first 3 chapters; was a 'cater only' city. Then I reassessed that decision and had to start learning (and furiously training, lol!). This is the thread I used to start learning, then I went into the more detailed battle guides.
There is also a lot of good information and videos at: https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/

The hardest chapters for fighting are the early ones, as you don't even get all the troop types until later. Also, understanding how the difficulty of fighting increases is crucial as well. The provinces are rings around your city. Each ring has a similar difficulty level. So, if you don't scout in a circular pattern (ex: it's more of a spider pattern as you stretch to reach undiscovered neighbors or to do specific types of provinces for the relics), you'll have more variation in the difficulty rating of battles. There is a hard stop at ring 11, where you will not be able to win fights and you won't have orcs (not the troops, the resource) to cater. Orcs are a resource like goods, but are made by your armories. However, your armories don't get the ability to make them until you upgrade them to lvl 20. You'll get the tech in the research tree to be able to do this early in Chapter 8. If you get to ring 11 before you get to that research, you'll be stuck until you can get there. There's not much in-game to let you know this is the way the game works. Also, early on you need lots of expansions and it seems the easiest way to get them is to explore more provinces. This will also cause pain in the long run, because your battles just get harder and harder the further you are away from your city. Activating the Advanced Scout tech for the next chapter reduces the difficulty of un-scouted provinces (doesn't change the ones already scouted, but not yet completed). The chest for the next chapter shows the minimum provinces to be able to proceed to the next chapter. You can exceed this amount by a little; I'm not sure I've ever seen specific numbers on this. The amount you can go beyond the minimum increases the further along in the game you are, but this is mostly a function of the rings getting larger as you move along, thus having more provinces per ring. It's a lot of information to process. I suggest starting in the Combat 101 thread, trying it out in tournaments (where you'll have smaller squad sizes and thus lose fewer troops) watching some of the videos on Gems of Knowledge, and learn the battle pentagon. You can find the pentagon in Mykan's Fighting Guide, a sticky in the battle help forums. There's lots more, and I'm sure others will be along to add things, but this should give you a starting place.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
World map provinces at the start of the game are tough. Without knowing your chapter and number of completed/scouted provinces it is hard to give advice in terms of that.

For general combat advice @samidodamage pointed you in some good directions. The Combat 101 thread is designed to be the absolute basics, it wont win you every fight but it will win enough and get you started. There is now a combat 201 thread (still near top of battle section) for when you are feeling more comfortable with battles. Otherwise the detailed combat section in my guide or the guides on gamers gems of knowledge will give you a lot more information.

Just take your time to learn the basics and move forward. Tournaments are the best training ground as squad sizes are much smaller than provinces (for close in provinces) and each round increases the difficulty so you can test your ability bit by bit as you learn and gain confidence. Plus you get a bunch of rewards and KP from it.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
@Jegenchant On the world map if you are in those early chapters (2-4) and below the number of provinces to exit that chapter and encounter hard rated fights I suggest submitting a ticket. Support can't help you but the aim is to raise awareness of the issue to inno and hopefully see a change in the future.

NearOK

I also learned the hard way by getting way far ahead in completing provinces than I should have. Due to the game mechanics, the more provinces you complete, the more difficult the battles & catering become. So I have complete 48 provinces ahead of my chapter chest goal, resulting in having to bribe with more goods or fight with ever-increasing squad sizes. The most frustrating 2 months I've spent in this game was the inability to cater provinces at the 11thg ring when Orcs started appearing, and they were impossible to win battles against.

The best advice I can give you is not to conquer or even scout more provinces than you actually need at the time. This will keep them from growing in difficulty before you are strong enough to deal successfully with them.