• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Benefits of magic residence/workshop over regular?

Iamaita

Well, I definitely don’t have a lot of experience, but here’s what I’ve figured out so far. If you buy a magic residence or workshop, your regular buildings will surpass them within a chapter of upgrades. If you are in a FS that regularly gets the tenth chest in tournaments, then you will have the blueprints to upgrade them. If you play the spire you have a chance to win them for free at whatever level you are in as well as the teleport spells to store them when they outlive their usefulness or until you get a blueprint. Are they cheaper at lower levels? This I don’t know. I suppose you could by them early for fewer diamonds if so and then upgrade them for free blueprints as you go. I’m in chapter 5 in a half full fellowship of other players chapter 5 and below. So it will be a while before I get a glimpse of a blueprint. So right now my policy is to save my diamonds and gratefully use the free ones from the spire when I am lucky enough to get them. I try to stock up the event buildings that give a good population so I can pull them out when I get stuck and need more people. They are free. Have I spent diamonds? Yes. Will I spend more? Undoubtedly. But not on another workshop. I have found that using the purple culture enchantments gives enough of a supply boost if I get low. Keeping culture up keeps me from getting too low in the first place. Maybe I will buy a residence at some point. Maybe.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Since my fellowship has push tourneys, I get a blueprint about once a month. I've always used these to upgrade my four magic residences (that I won from the spire.) I never use those blueprints for anything else, knowing I'll need them for that. I don't think I'd spend diamonds for them though. Being free, they are a nice bonus.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Well, I definitely don’t have a lot of experience, but here’s what I’ve figured out so far. If you buy a magic residence or workshop, your regular buildings will surpass them within a chapter of upgrades.
It actually takes longer than a single chapter. I am currently in Orcs (ch 8) and I have the residence upgrade for that chapter unlocked, so my current max level on regular residences is L21. I won magical residences in the Spire during Ch 4 and Ch 5. The Ch 4 magical residence is slightly less efficient on a space for space basis than a fully upgraded L21 normal residence. But it is close enough that I have not yet deleted it. The Ch 5 magical residence is actually still slightly better on a space for space basis than my fully upgraded normal residences.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I've never bought a magic building but have 9 of them, mostly from the spire. Thus, from that perspective it is possible for a #1 player to have magic buildings without having spent diamonds. Is it likely? Probably not, but the spending of diamonds at that level was probably for expansions more than anything else. At least most of my real money went in that direction. I did think increasing my builder to 4 slots worth the price and I did spend some on my MA for the same reason. From another perspective we ought to, I think, realize that the game must take in revenues and if we disparage those who, for whatever reason, spend money to pay for our fun, we might be shooting ourselves in the foot. So let them have the higher ranks even if they do pay for them because they do pay for my being at least moderately ranked and to have a lot of fun doing so.

Multiple accounts for pushing is just another way to trade time for KP. I don't agree with it only because it seems to me that, like money, not everybody has that much time so it makes the playing field uneven to some degree. On the other hand, many of us who have just one city and don't use push farms don't have the time to play against non push farm players who have all day either. So if it time or money, either one can help you get ahead. Push accounts just allow you to trade time instead of money to get ahead. Still, I agree with Soggy, Inno needs to be clear and enforce the rules.

Finally, one downside of push accounts not yet mentioned is space. Each city takes up space on the map and if you have a bunch of push accounts surrounding your city, do you think their owners are out visiting their neighbors? I doubt it. So there you are. One way too many push accounts impacts you directly is by taking space where an actively visiting neighbor could be planted.

AJ

Iyapo1

What I have read from the old posts in the fourms say that you should only spend real money on expansions
I played back when this was true. I came back dropped change on a few expansions first thing(opps) and then met the spire. It changed things a little!

I would not recommend that any player buy a MR or MW in chapters 1-5. They go by to fast and if you are not in a 10 chest FS, they cost way to much to upgrade.

The progressive difficulty in the spire(and tournaments soon) makes them both far more appealing than expansions imo.

If I win one in the spire(I just hit ch. 4) I will be delighted but I will not buy one until I hit chapter 6. I did however drop change on my MA so I can craft CCs more quickly.

DeletedUser19458

I did not buy either until chapter 15 after winning several houses and WS from Spire. My FS rarely earned a blueprint so I could not upgrade them - so what was the point. Was not worth it to me.

Now in Chapter 16, I have purchased some on top of those I won, and will likely purchase more. The bump in WS production in chapter 15 is so massive I cannot see myself ever going back to regular WS. And magic houses at moment are nearly double the pop of a regular house. Plus my FS is now earning a blueprint at least every other week so I know I can upgrade them in ch 17.

And the other big factor is due to the hit you take buying expansions I have stopped spending there (or laying down any new land for that matter). So I redirect those diamonds to magic buildings instead, and which also "buys" me the extra land I need without the penalty.

Deleted User - 3932582

I am an F2P player, and I switched completely to all magic residences and workshops in the end game. I haven't had a single one until chapter 15 IIRC. If you don't want to pay, don't get them before you're in the end game. It will be basically impossible to keep up with upgrades, and without that it is not worth it. But once you hit long periods in-between chapters where you have no additional upgrades, but can still collect blueprints/diamonds/buildings over a period of time, and you have just a few large buildings, then it is great value. E.g. 1x MW is basically 2x regular workshops, and at 5x5 size switching to MW saves you a whole expansion. A whole expansion will likely be much more expensive than a single MW. Not to mention than not using an extra expansion makes your Spire/tournaments easier.

You need to be active in the Spire, and 10 chests helps too.

StarLoad

Or the other situation you are in a 10 Chest FS and regularly play the spire and have MR and get the blueprints to update them, when it is in balance it is fine, but I have a city with only 4 MR but 2 more in the summoning tab and have 16 unused blueprints. Yes the 2 MR could replace 4 regular residences but I dont need the Pop and the space would be in the wrong location for my layout

BrinDarby

Hey @SoggyShorts ,
If you think thats cheating .... hahaha
I'd love to hear why you think that publishing a Event task list ahead of time.....
Well .... isn't cheating ???? shouldn't it be randomized compared to beta so that
the order of the tasks are NOT known ahead of time ????

Seems the tasks in the last 3 Events keep getting harder, prolly cause so many
ppl do this and thus always complete all the tasks easily in time. The value
of a fully evolved bldg, or having the complete set of something seems to have
lost its luster as a form of pride for finishing an event, like a trophy..... ;)
BrinD

Wudana

I get free MR and MW from the spire and upgrade them with blueprints from tournaments. In the past I had to wait for my wishing wells to spit out enough diamonds to pay for them. Luckily I joined a fellowship that grew from a 3-4 chest group to a 10 chest. When I first started playing I did buy when there was an offer for a free builder I think it cost me $10. That's the only time. Don't always look at larger players and think they spend cash money. I have 7 MW placed in anticipation of the increased demand to make troops for our update on Thursday. Everything in my city has to earn its space or be replaced. Magic buildings earn their space. More pop/supply for the same amount of space of a regular one. I am one research away from finishing chapter 16. The 6000 diamonds it will cost me for my next expansion is nothing compared to what I might have had to spend to upgrade a magic residence. Thank you again spire. (Ps I dislike playing the spire love the rewards)

Wudana

@Wudana Please keep in mind that most of the posts on this thread are 3+ years old. Way back when we had to walk up hill both ways and there was no spire. :)

If you look a few posts above mine a question was added to this thread.

How does everyone feel about the magic buildings now? Three years and a lot of changes have happened with even more to come! Reading through the fourms I don't see much talk on the magic buildings and if they are worth the hassle of trying to keep them leveled up or not. I would like to get some opinions on the pros and cons of these buildings from whatever chapters you guys are in.

Thank you.

DeletedUser26692

If you look a few posts above mine a question was added to this thread.
Yeah.... That's my bad guys! I should have just made a new thread.

I am about to go all in and switch over to Magic residences... I did the switch to all magic workshops a couple of chapters ago and I like them quite bit. But wanted a little more information, and you you guys did great at giving me some other points of view.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

qaccy

All I want to say is anyone who tries to avoid buying or placing expansions because of their impact on the Spire (and soon Tournaments), have fun playing with even less space. Continue believing that an expansion somehow isn't worth the slight increase in size.

I'd like to see how far someone's able to get without placing expansions at all, and how long it takes them to do it. Since expansions are so bad, this would obviously be the best way to play, right? Lunacy, if you ask me.

Iyapo1

All I want to say is anyone who tries to avoid buying or placing expansions because of their impact on the Spire (and soon Tournaments), have fun playing with even less space. Continue believing that an expansion somehow isn't worth the slight increase in size.
I will have fun playing with less space. Getting to the top of the spire every week is my goal. Holding off on placing expansions until absolutely necessary helps. Eventually filling my city with MW and MH will also help.
Dropping an expansion does not help at all.
Waiting until I am ready and able to immediately fill said expansion with production seems to offset the cost increase.
Just my experience atm.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Hey @SoggyShorts ,
If you think thats cheating .... hahaha
If you're going to reply to one of 3 comments I made in a thread 3 years ago at least quote it so I know what you're talking about.
I'd love to hear why you think that publishing a Event task list ahead of time.....
Well .... isn't cheating ???? shouldn't it be randomized compared to beta so that
the order of the tasks are NOT known ahead of time ????
1. Sharing quest lists isn't against the rules.
2. They tried randomized, it was awful and totally unfair.
3. You don't even need quest lists anymore unless you are very casual. My wife writes those guides and even though she's sitting next to me I didn't use it and I finished the event in a couple of days.(except the locked quests obv)