• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Best Ancient Wonders?

Tehya1

Obviously space is an issue in this game, so I will not build all of the ancient wonders. Which are recommended? I have the ga, tos (for now, but probably not for long), MM, and needles in my elf cities. I have the GA TOS and needles in my human city. I am working on military and I still cater a lot. I am in ch.s 5 and 6.
Best for elves?
Best for humans?

Huor

For fighters, in my opinion, you should consider Needles gives all your light range units up to +40% damage. Dragon Abbey gives all your mage units up to +40% extra damage. Victory Springs gives all light melee units up to +40% damage. Hero's Forge gives all heavy melee units up to +40% extra damage. And finally Temple of the Toads will give all your heavy ranged units up to +40% bonus. Throw in either a Dwarven Bulwark and/or Shine of Shrooms and the MM/Sanctuary. Don't forget your chicken and brown bear! That group would be a good start for a fighter. Search for posts from Henroo for great information for fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tehya1

Thanks, and sorry about the thread. I did do a search, but I must not have used the right key words

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I don't think there is any difference in AW selection based on if you're playing as human or elf. The key difference is entirely based on play style: how heavily you are focused on fighting or on catering. As Lyapo1 1 said the MM/Sanctuary AW is very important for fighters. I think you also said you have MM in your elf cities. In a human city, this AW is called Sanctuary. It has a different name and picture, but statwise it is the exact same as MM. If I were you I would build it in the human city.

The next 2 AWs I would advise you to focus on are coming up at the end of Dwarves. So you have not gotten there quite yet, but you will fairly soon. The Dwarven Bulwark is absolutely critical for a combat oriented playstyle. Even at only level 1 it is going to provide the same training size as 3 or 4 max level armories combined. When leveled some it is even better. It will let you stack many more troops into your barracks, training grounds, and mercenary camp so that they just keep training troops between you log ins. It makes a huge difference during periods you are logged out of the game for long periods of time such as overnight or when you're at work: instead of running out of troops to train and going idle, all 3 of your military buildings are just going to keep making troops. Dwarven Bulwark will also give you free light melee troops every 3 hours, but this is very much a secondary benefit: the massive increase in training size is why you build it.

The other Dwarf AW is Mountain Halls. It will give you a bonus to your goods production boost at all 3 levels. And you will get this bonus even if you are already at max boost. In fact, Mountain Halls is the only way in the game to exceed 700% boost. Mountain Halls is also a very good source of population. The population it provides is going to be equal to what a Golden Abyss of the same level provides. I would say MH is a critical, must-have wonder for a cater player and is still very, very good for a player pursuing a fight/cater hybrid strategy.

Last edited:

Tehya1

Thanks Henroo and everyone. Yall seem to have a consensus here. So are the rest of the aws not worth the space? I am working on being a fighter, but I still cater a lot, so anything that produces or boosts goods and supplies would be good too, at least temporarily.

Iyapo1

An valid argument can be made for the value of each and every wonder. Playstyle, city build, and individual player priorities will impact what wonders you choose.

I love my Prosperity Towers even though it is a sad sorry lv 4. When paired with my 4 magic workshops running under POP Spells I get plenty of supplies for my Blooming Trader at lv 30. Which saved my scroll trading bacon and is now providing relief for the Harander steel shortage(in my area and FS)
My Golden Abyss will be with me always! The Abyss also helps to feed the BTG! Plus it works synergistically with my Mountain Halls giving me a 41% increase in my Population.

My playstyle and choices make each of those valuable to me and I could argue in favor or against all of them.

Play, decide what you want and need and if a wonder gets you there then it's a good wonder for you.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
So are the rest of the aws not worth the space? I am working on being a fighter, but I still cater a lot, so anything that produces or boosts goods and supplies would be good too, at least temporarily.
Nothing at your level which you don't already have is critical. For what it is worth, you mentioned you were thinking about getting rid of ToS. I would not do that just yet. It is a great source of supplies as long as scout times stay short and it also gives daily KPs. Personally I would wait until your scout times exceed 24 hours or more before dumping it. There are some very good AWs further down the line, but I did not mention them in this thread. I'm trying to focus on what you have available now or what you soon will have available.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
First I should probably mention as many of my personal biases as I can admit to:
  1. I don't care how a wonder looks.
  2. I don't care at all about score/ranking.
  3. I like the added challenge of trying to get through chapters quickly.
  4. I go for efficiency in buildings over all other considerations.
  5. I prefer to fully cater until the end of chapter 6 and convert to all military by the end of chapter 8.
  6. I fight encounters in the Spire, Tournament & World Map 99% of the time.
  7. My FS gets gold spire every week, wins ~12 tournament chests on average, and visits me every day.
Keeping in mind that playstyles vary here's my list more or less in order

Having better troops is far better than making more troops because it's cheaper and sometimes you win fights that you otherwise would lose.
This wonder not only really improves your real life but saves you pet food and most importantly lets you use the 5-day booster buildings for 2 full tournaments and 2 full spires at higher levels.
Light ranged are the core of your army and your barracks will be your main producer for a long time.
at least one of these is pretty much a necessity for any city using a military. Armories alone take up too much space(and pop) to run your troop makers 24h a day.
You can use a simple calculator to try different combinations and see what works for you here:
www.tinyurl.com/trainingcalc
The ability to gain instant mana on demand is a game-changer, and mages are your second most important unit.
With a reasonable number of collections this out produces a normal workshop.
More importantly, the power of the PoP spell is crazy a decently leveled PT turns 1 workshop into 4 for an entire day.
Free troops are better than making troops faster and it affects all 3 of your troop makers. For comparison:
A level 30 needles doubles your barracks production (+100%)
A level 30 Simia adds 40% to your Barracks, Training Grounds, and Merc camp. (+40% x3)
But, it's multiplied together, so if your Needles is at +100% AND your Simia is at +40% you are making 280%
These are solid wonders, but slow. The impact that they have on your city is significant, but not until they are leveled quite high and I've found that focusing on military wonders will advance your city further faster.
What's noteworthy about these two is that although the MtH has a much larger footprint, unless you have very few factories the mountain halls is actually more efficient. Obviously, the more factories you have the greater the difference.
It's important to note that the population boost is based on your working population which for an efficient military city is much lower. Having event buildings produce goods means fewer factories and more military means fewer goods are needed as well.
For elves this building becomes very important about halfway through chapter 10 when you unlock 2-star blossom mages. since the merc camp is your only source of long-range mage units and 2-star blossoms are better than 3-star sorcs/banshees.
For humans getting free Priests is pretty great since they are super troops right out of the gate.
Later the 3-star frog will become another pillar of your forces which is also produced in the Merc camp.
For elves Until you get good frogs, your main Heavy Ranged source will be Golems who remain useful throughout due to their tankiness, so having better ones combined with free ones is nice. For humans, this wonder only really starts to shine after unlocking good frogs as mortars are generally considered pretty weak.

Some honorable mentions:

More efficient than any workshop that isn't under a PoP spell especially regular workshops. Drops off once you move up to all magic workshops and pretty much dies if you are a heavy PoP user.
Excellent starting wonder, far better than the Golden Abyss out of the box but becomes obsolete late game. I wouldn't take it past level 6, and if I was a slow player, I wouldn't build it at all.
With the obvious double dip of making better dogs and faster dogs this was a nice wonder before the changes, but now that wonder levels increase all of your troop costs its desirability has dropped. 90%+ of fights can be handled without Melee units so you can give this one a pass.
You don't need seeds all the time, and the Festival Merchant is better at that anyways. Where this wonder is useful is in making your MM spells last all day and giving them a little boost. This can help you get through chapters faster when applied to Sentient factories but realistically using the space for another factory does the same thing and can be teleported when not needed and won't require any KP investment. If you aren't using a lot of MM spells you can give this one a pass too.

The rest are basically trash for any playstyle similar to mine.
The ones that give culture bonuses simply aren't needed past the wood elves chapter where all mana buildings give culture on top of all event buildings so you're maxed all the time anyways.
The non-culture ones are either score-based or inferior to event/craftable buildings.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@SoggyShorts I agree with almost everything you say. Except I would add Blooming Trader Guild to the honorable mention category. I actually got through the first 15 chapters without it. But I used a lot of Portal Profits in those chapters. It would be very valuable for a player who doesn't use PP much even early on. But now that I am actually doing ch 16 I found it necessary to build and level BTG. There is just so many guest race goods you have to make and which you can't get from Portal Profits. The boost to all guest race buildings really helps.

Raccon

@SoggyShorts I agree with almost everything you say. Except I would add Blooming Trader Guild to the honorable mention category. I actually got through the first 15 chapters without it. But I used a lot of Portal Profits in those chapters. It would be very valuable for a player who doesn't use PP much even early on. But now that I am actually doing ch 16 I found it necessary to build and level BTG. There is just so many guest race goods you have to make and which you can't get from Portal Profits. The boost to all guest race buildings really helps.
Thanks Henroo, you convinced me to build the BT as it's very helpful with guest race goods.
My BT was sitting in my inventory and I had no intention to build it as I'm on saving space mode. I've been economizing on city space since the builldings are getting bigger with upgrades and city expansions are taking more time to acquire.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@SoggyShorts I agree with almost everything you say. Except I would add Blooming Trader Guild to the honorable mention category.
I just don't like that it sits there doing nothing from the end of one chapter to the middle of the next, and I used to be an end-game player waiting 100+ days for the next chapter release while it again did nothing.
If teleporting wonders ever becomes a thing then I'd move it even higher than the honorable mentions list though.

DeletedUser30612

What’s the best ancient wonders for catering cities? And how far leveled does the prosperity towers need to be to run with regular workshops? I keep diamonds from the frog in the spire or other things that aren’t a magic workshop.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
What’s the best ancient wonders for catering cities? And how far leveled does the prosperity towers need to be to run with regular workshops? I keep diamonds from the frog in the spire or other things that aren’t a magic workshop.
I am not a cater player but the ones that come to mind for me are Golden Abyss, Mountain Halls, Prosperity Towers, and Elvenar Trading Center. However, this is theoretical for me since I fight everything. I know a very good cater only player who is actually in 2 of my fellowships. She would probably have a better notion of what works since she actually uses this playstyle. @Aritra are there any other AWs you would recommend for a cater based playstyle?

Aritra

@Henroo @Kaylessa Wintermoon
I'm not sure I can speak on why these are important to a cater player specifically, but I do experience their benefits and I don't regret placing any of these. They are all currently leveled about the same (8-ish) right now, exception being GA much higher (and currently prioritizing MH to get a jump).

I have the Golden Abyss, Endless Excavation, Crystal Lighthouse, Watchtower Ruins, Mountain Halls, Prosperity Towers, Dragon Abby, Elvenar Trade Center, and Sunset Towers (not actually placed yet, but plan to at end of this chapter).

With a few exceptions, I pretty much placed everything that wasn't military specific (@Henroo knows these). If you are looking to not place as many, then I would recommend those Henroo listed as priorities (in bold). As far as how far to level them to reach a certain competitive benefit, I don't know. I just have them, level them, and experience their benefits, lol.

Aritra

I wasn't interested in BTG but your comment about getting help that PP can't do (in later chapters) has me reconsidering. I'll wait until I think I need it and then level it quickly but the basic benefits description didn't have value to me (not worried about trading fees, better wholesaler pricing is nice since I do use it, but not enough to justify the room, and guest race goods didn't matter since I take my time, in chapter twelve and still nearly never using PPs anyway). And it is one visual aesthetic that I don't like, so it must be valuable for me to place it, lol.