• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Breeding Orcs

DeletedUser14718

I have 2,500 already made, but I am upgrading 3 other Armories. Will I need a lot of Orcs? I don't want to waste supplies. Should all Armories able be making Orcs or is it a waste?

Do I use them after the Orcs and Goblins chapter?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Thanks. Sounds like I should make a lot of them then.

I am a few chapters past Orcs & Goblins and I think I stopped producing orcs in the armories once I had over 100k and realized that, while I do still use some, I will never use them all up. lol

Oh, here is an example of needing orcs. When you research the orc version of your workshops, which is levels 20 and 21, you will need orcs to level them up too. To go from a level 20 workshop to level 21, you will need 1910 orcs per workshop. And a little less than that to go from 19 to 20. So yes, you will need a lot of orcs while you are in the chapter, and then slowly less and less as you move past it.

DeletedUser8946

Thanks. Sounds like I should make a lot of them then.

Mmmmmm define 'a lot'. 2500 is too little. Really depends on how many workshops you have. Day to day basis, I'd suggest staying above 10K. But when you're about to upgrade Workshops, produce Orcs as much as you can. But unless workshop upgrades are coming up, keeping them down to 5-10K isn't difficult as you don't use them much.

True fact: Once I got my Hero's Forge (Level 2) the amount of Orcs it produced each day was enough for all my needs until Sorcerer workshop upgrades.

DeletedUser14718

Mmmmmm define 'a lot'. 2500 is too little. Really depends on how many workshops you have. Day to day basis, I'd suggest staying above 10K. But when you're about to upgrade Workshops, produce Orcs as much as you can. But unless workshop upgrades are coming up, keeping them down to 5-10K isn't difficult as you don't use them much.

I will have 4 Armories that can produce Orcs when I m done upgrading at level 23. I currently have 13 workshops.

DeletedUser8946

As far as Orc Production goes, you only need 2 Armories. But I am NOT protesting the extras, Armories are still most valuable for their military value. If anything, the only purposes Orc Breeding serves is to A) Make all the negotiators of the game have up to date Armories like everyone else and B) be a supply drain. But if you're already a good fighter and upgrade your Hero's Forge (once you get it, naturally) Orcs are last on your list of concerns.

I currently have 13 workshops.
Wow. I had two cities with only three workshops, only two of which were up to date. I will admit that that was on the low side, (very much so) but since I've definitely always gone on the lesser side for workshops that seems like a lot. Ahem. Anyway, I don't think supplies are such a MASSIVE concern to you with this kind of supply power, assuming you're on somewhat regularly, and you have PoP spells. If you have a Culture bonus above 125%, I can't imagine you in want of supplies.

But anyways, what I said still holds true. Stay above 10K Orcs, 20K if you're nearing your supply cap. But then start cranking out as many Orcs as you can when it's time to upgrade your small army of workshops.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Orcs are a permanent resource and you will need them for:
  • Upgrading workshops
  • Negotiating/catering costs
  • certain quests
  • certain fellowship adventure waypoints
  • Making the 2 orc units in your training grounds - they do not cost supplies (directly anyway)
  • When you get pyramid of purification (Amuni wonder) - making sentient goods
I probably have more orcs than I could ever spend but I make them now cause I can.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Really? I don't recall a Waypoint that required Orcs.

There are a few variations of the FA and I think there was one where you needed to put in orcs at a waypoint to complete it, the same way you sometimes have to put goods into a waypoint to complete. They may have gotten enough complaints about that one time, so they may never do that again, but it is possible.

DeletedUser9601

I basically always cook Orcs (about 250K) unless I'm running a supplies deficit (like when I was running level 4 Amuni buildings, or during Workshop upgrades, or for a few days after researching a tech that costs 10%+ of your supplies cap). Like @Mykan, its probably overkill. But then for tourney weeks where I just want to rack up a ton of points, I don't feel bad about spending the Orcs.

I also produce troops 24/7 (or as close as possible), so again, when I'm running low on supplies, I just create Orc Heavy Melee/Ranged for a few days (which technically don't cost supplies).

I think of Orcs as a way to "bank" supplies once you hit enough for your day-to-day needs (again, see Mykan's list above).

DeletedUser8946

I think of Orcs as a way to "bank" supplies once you hit enough for your day-to-day needs (again, see Mykan's list above).
Yyyyeah... My HIGHEST city has only 4 workshops and one Magic Workshop, so 'banking' supplies has almost never been an issue for me, unless I'm between chapters. But you have 13, so it should definitely be different.

DeletedUser3297

I only have 4 workshops as well, whenever I reach my supply cap, I'll buy goods with them. I will never "pay" for an orc head with supplies, my highest armory level is 16 and I have 165,000 orc heads, all from orcs nests and the Hereo's Forge.

DeletedUser8946

I only have 4 workshops as well, whenever I reach my supply cap, I'll buy goods with them. I will never "pay" for an orc head with supplies, my highest armory level is 16 and I have 165,000 orc heads, all from orcs nests and the Hereo's Forge.
I respect that, except from a battle standpoint. Were you, too, traumatized by chapters II and III? Fighting's really pretty easy, but you do need more Armories to be able to do that effectively.

DeletedUser3297

I respect that, except from a battle standpoint. Were you, too, traumatized by chapters II and III? Fighting's really pretty easy, but you do need more Armories to be able to do that effectively.

I actually love fighting (I was around before the battle change as well) About 95% of my provinces were won through fighting and when I got to Woodelves and beyond, I was winning with minimal to zero losses in provinces. In fact every single province I can scout is in the blue and I am 30 provinces over the next advance scout, so I will win anything I scout with cannon fodder from my Bulwark.

Now tournament provinces, I get 1620 points per week, mostly from fighting, usually by Saturday morning I am catering about 66% of them though.

Because I have built every military AW I can (and leveled them) I do not need to rely on traditional military buildings as much. My training grounds is actually at top level right now and it takes about an hour and 20 minutes per training queue. I have a Woodelf level Mercenary camp that has about an hour and a half queue, so between those 2 and all the wonders that give me free troops and all the event buildings that give me free troops, I have a sizeable enough army to fight :)

DeletedUser14960

wow ive just started orcs chapter in one of my worlds

looks like its going to get busy

thanks

keith