• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

brown bear evolved

Black watch

I still don't subscribe to maxing out all 3 training buildings before feeding the bear, but I guess that's just me. My training is based on whatever tournament is currently running, and I rarely need a unit from each type of training building because the different strengths of each unit mean you only need one or maybe two different types. For example, during a magic dust tournament I pretty much only use Cerberus. Training up Barbarians or Drone Riders would be a waste of my time and/or supplies, even if I was getting the Bear's bonus with their collections. Similar situation for every other tournament. Just stick to training what you need instead of trying to get 'value' out of things you don't.

I use the Barbarians as canon fodder or to scout with depending on the situation. I figured I'd probably need the Drone Riders somewhere down the road when they finally start to get upgraded. As it sits, if nothing more than filling a spot, they are there if needed in the future.

I'm planing on another round of Brown bear action tomorrow. Though I don't have Ashrem's amazing boosts... I'll still be able to offset my tourney damage pretty nicely I'm thinking.

qaccy

@MinMax Gamer I only use the Training Grounds during Planks and Dust tournaments, due in no small part to it being the slowest building to train in. Cerberus and Orc Strategists are worth the slower training speed, but the other three units aren't which knocks out needing that building at all for 7 out of 9 weeks. Even if it was the same, I'd only be adding Dryads to the mix. In any case though, I use pretty much everything I train for every tournament so there isn't really going to be an opportunity for me to train the 'wrong' units just for the sake of getting a couple extra squads out of a pet food. That strategy simply wouldn't work for me.

Deleted User - 3932582

@MinMax Gamer I only use the Training Grounds during Planks and Dust tournaments, due in no small part to it being the slowest building to train in. Cerberus and Orc Strategists are worth the slower training speed, but the other three units aren't which knocks out needing that building at all for 7 out of 9 weeks. Even if it was the same, I'd only be adding Dryads to the mix. In any case though, I use pretty much everything I train for every tournament so there isn't really going to be an opportunity for me to train the 'wrong' units just for the sake of getting a couple extra squads out of a pet food. That strategy simply wouldn't work for me.
Your call, but with Victory Springs TG is on par with other buildings as far as production speed. And I use TG quite a bit more - banshees in gems, dryads in steel, cerberus in scrolls, will probably use some orc units situationally.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
D'oh! I was all happily ignoring Victory Springs because I didn't care about an extra 6% light melee damage, and now I'm going to have to reassess how much I want it for speeding up those sweet, sweet, Cerberi.

Just before coming here I upgraded my Vic Springs
my dog damage ( with phoenix ) went from minimum 134K to 135K
so seems worthwhile to me

qaccy

Your call, but with Victory Springs TG is on par with other buildings as far as production speed. And I use TG quite a bit more - banshees in gems, dryads in steel, cerberus in scrolls, will probably use some orc units situationally.

It is, but the 'problem' with only having one account is that it takes a while to level up AWs and I haven't made my way to pushing that one to 30 yet. Being on the larger side of AWs also makes it more expensive so it will additionally take longer when that time does come. As a result, my Training Grounds takes over half an hour longer per slot compared to my Mercenary Camp and Barracks.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
i managed to max out my polar bear
and i learned something about it
the time bonus you get for it survives after the feed runs out
I don't understand? How could you tell? Unless it lasted seven days so into the next tournament? Or you fed it late in one and it lasted more than five days?

qaccy

@Ashrem I haven't used the polar bear yet so I can only guess, but probably it just shortens any tournament cooldowns while it's active, but doesn't re-extend them to their normal durations when the effect expires.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem I haven't used the polar bear yet so I can only guess, but probably it just shortens any tournament cooldowns while it's active, but doesn't re-extend them to their normal durations when the effect expires.
Feeding the Polar Bear lasts for five days. So the only way you'd notice it lasting past it's feeding is if the effect lasted for a whole week, or you applied it after noon Thursday and it lasted past noon on the Tuesday of the next tournament.

qaccy

Ah! I didn't look at how long the effect lasts on it. In either case though...it's nice to know, right? I don't think it matters when they feed it, since that doesn't really have much to do with the information they provided beyond the immediate response of 'you can just feed it at the start of the tournament and not worry about its effect running out at all'.

DeletedUser19458

Feed the bear once on Friday and get 2 rounds in that day. Then use same feed and get 2 rounds in again Tuesday. 1 feeding, 2 tournies.

Tuesday might be pain and not worth it depending on your timezone - that 2nd round will fall pretty late at night.

I will have to try it out... I've only used it once (coincidently on a Friday) but I didn't even pay attention the following week.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I don't understand? How could you tell? Unless it lasted seven days so into the next tournament? Or you fed it late in one and it lasted more than five days?

I fed it Saturday, I think it was, because I wanted to see what effect it had. I actually hadn't been planning to build it at all, but once I had seven artifacts I decided to give it a go. But I wanted to test it because if it didn't make much of a difference I was just going to scrap it.
Anyway
Yesterday I had enough artifacts to max it out and as I was doing that I noticed it only had two minutes left on its feed. So I watched for two things.
Would upgrading it cut off the feed. I figured not since you can upgrade boosted factories. And it didn't.
And second, would losing the feed cost me the existing time benefit. It didn't.
It's the sort of thing that probably won't come up much, but it is good to know.

ps
btw

For others who are in or past Constructs and haven't decided if they want to put out the polar bear.
I would say, if you have a Simia, ( CORRECTION ala Minmax Time Warp ) the bear does not make a great deal of difference.
But it is only 3x3 and it gives some other benefits.
So it's 50/50
Depends how important that space is to you.

Last edited:

DeletedUser2870

You must also have to use supply instants to produce all those troops? Whenever I use time boosts to accelerate troop production I deplete my supplies that my workshops can't keep up.

(and @MinMax Gamer )
Both supply-instants and time-reduction instants can be gained in pretty large numbers during the major events, and there are several of those each year. Apart from that, they both can be crafted, AND supplies can be greatly boosted by running the workshops on short runs, especially when using the PoP spells, which are easily gotten from the MA and the tourneys. The timereductions can also be gained from the Spire, even if one goes no further than the second gate.
(Edit As the feeding can be done at any moment you want, you can plan ahead. Have some workshops do a 24-hour production the day before you plan using the bear, cast a PoP before harvesting and then run short productions until you're done, that should create a very substantial amount of supplies to use already, without using anything else.)

By feeding the bear and using a combination of these instants/spells, I can create a huge amount of troops in just a few minutes. Especially for those like me in the end-game, if one also has the Simia up, because that bonus stacks with that of the bear. Everything that is harvested in the time the feeding effect is active after that is pure bonus to me, but that adds up as well.
Also, it has great synergy with the Needles/FA/VS because those reduce training time and thus one can harvest more often.
As a trick, one might want to use one of the teleport buildings instants on an armory or two, reducing the amount of troops trained in 1 batch if you find time to stay logged in constantly to make the most of the harvests, but I am content to just let it run, set a timer for myself and harvest again about a half-hour before the feeding effect ends, then see if I can use a small time-reduction to finish one more batch.

Is it sustainable to keep it running all the time? That would depend on the amount of pet-food one crafts, but probably not. I chose the brown bear because I see it as an excellent way of creating a LOT of troops almost instantly. I'll probably end up actually feeding it only once a month or so, but that's fine. At 3x3 it provides a decent amount of pop, culture and every 48 hours it provides a decent amount of free troops as well.
The one time each month I will be activating it, I will probably end up creating 60-80 hours worth of troops, + the 50% bonus is 90-120 hours worth of troops. That's quite a bit. (Especially for me, since I my Simia gets me another 18% each time I harvest).

@bippiebop
The bonus troops provided by the feeding effect do count towards the quests to train x-amount of troops. The bear doesn't train them, the bear provides a bonus amount to the amount trained in barracks, training ground and mercenary camp, so they still are harvested from those.

(edit)
@mucksterme
Yes, that would be a space issue. The Polar bear only works when fed, so it means one needs to create extra pet-food for that effect.
The Timewarp is larger, but it still is one of the smaller AWs. It also provides a substantial bonus to the amount of sentient goods produced though. And since it is an AW, the levels will count for the trader's collection bonus on seeds as well.
Considering the huge need for sentient goods -and thus seeds to produce them- in chapter 15 the Timewarp is by far the better choice (in my opinion that is).

But if one is not as far advanced yet, but is an avid tourney player it can be a very good choice as it can make the difference between being able to do 5 or 6 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
But if one is not as far advanced yet, but is an avid tourney player it can be a very good choice as it can make the difference between being able to do 5 or 6 rounds.

I just thought of something else for low level players
and yes i know it may be useless advice after the even is over and they probably used their resources on a different bear
but

if you are still too low level to do much fighting
but you have feed and supply and timer instants
you could still build up an inventory of troops
it'd be nice if by the time you researched golem 2 and felt you could fight instead of cater
you have 100 or more squads of every barracks troops

similar advice if you get those buildings that produce vallorians
let them build up until they become useful to you