• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Brown bear worth ?

Torcuato

Hi,
I'm wondering if I should upgrade Polar bear or Brown bear? I'm full on tournaments (do 2 or 3 full on (30 provinces plus all manual) and I rest the other ones out of the 9 types of goods).
I know this is very particular decision. Polar bear fully evolved would allow me to fight 1 full round (30 provinces +) manual instead of auto, and therefore save lots of troops. VS. Evolving brown bear (needing more pet food, not sure if I will face a shortage) and get free troops that I can throw to auto fights and hope for the best. With brown bear I could also use time boosters and get even more troops.
For those with lots of experience in tournaments, If I do this strategy, will I need more troops (meaning brown bear)? Will I get tired of manual fight and again brown bear would be a better option?
Or stick to polar bear since pet food might be an issue to have it show up in MA and barracks with time boosters will suffice to do this strategy 3 out of 9 provinces (the other 6 tournaments I do around 3k points).
: ) thanks for your suggestions

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
You won't get much benefit from your system for long because Inno is in the process of changing the tournaments so that each week you will get all nine relic types and not just a single type. So you may be wanting to look at how you can change the way you have been doing them, as there will no longer be a benefit to just doing a lot in the ones for your boosted goods.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I don’t have rest weeks so I am not affected by tourney changes. I would evolve Brownie first. Polar is decent even at level 1. There is also a wonder that does what Polar does, but none that does what Brownie does.

I don’t feed Brownie often, but he is handy when you have bad encounters in the high provinces that wreck havoc on your troop levels. When Brownie is fed, I make the most of it by burning through a bunch of timers and supply windfalls too. So I guess Brownie serves as my “recovery week”.

From a pet food conservation standpoint, I would need a lot of evolves for Polar Bear to make a difference in my pet feed usage on Fire Phoenix. I fully expect the Spire to cheap out on dishing out bear evolves so I don’t reckon I’d get enough to make a dent on Polar Bear. A level 1 vs level 4 Polar won’t make that big of a difference to me, but a difference of 3 evolves on Brownie would.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Polar bear fully evolved would allow me to fight 1 full round (30 provinces +) manual instead of auto, and therefore save lots of troops. VS. Evolving brown bear (needing more pet food, not sure if I will face a shortage) and get free troops that I can throw to auto fights and hope for the best.

Im not sure what your referring to with the polar bear here. Polar bears feeding effect is to lower the tourney cool down timer; At lvl 10 it lowers the timer 20%. That doesn't effect manual or auto fighting at all.

I can however at least provide some insight on the use or brown bear for tourney/spire.

First off..
I'm full on tournaments (do 2 or 3 full on (30 provinces plus all manual)
30 provs on manual? My god... that must take an eternity to do. - While i can do manual, i fight with auto fight. Gotten pretty good at it. But even that can take some time with two cities.

As for the brown bear.. I personally fight 13 provenances at 5 star every week and the full spire. No 'resting weeks'. And iv been able to maintain this. Granted.. i went to lengths to try and make sure this would be the case. And while im still short of my initial goal, i found some unexpected boosts to help make up for it fully.

A few notes on my set up.
I always craft a pet food in the MA when it shows up. As well as any 50% building (magnificent mage multiplies, enhanced light ranged, unleashed unit upgrade. Note the unleash unit upgrade (health) is only +25%)
I have a lvl 10 fire phoenix for 50%+ strength boost, and a lvl 10 brown bear to help replenish troops.
AW:
Needles to increase training speed.
Bulwark and shrooms to help increase my training size. (4 armories as well)
Recently i placed a Monistary (MM) for boost in health, but thats still fairly new for me.

Non-Direct AW:
Prosperity towers, to help with supplies to train all these troops.
Golden abyss and mountain halls. Everyone and everything needs population. (Technically, the MH goods boost is nice to if you ever have to negotiate.)

Obviously, the higher level each one is, the more effective it will be.

Each person has a different idea of when to place the three +50% buildings as well as when to use a pet food.
I personally, will place the buildings at the start of tourney (not the start of spire). This means i get the full effect of them for the whole tourney, and the spire. With time instants you will win in the spire, you can power through any locked gates on the last day that you didnt open naturally.
Right now, im going through the mass of buildings i built up over the years. So iv been using 1 mage, 1 light ranged, and two 25% health's.
Note; one building reward in the spire is Dwarven Armorer. It gives +50% health (equal to two unleashed unit upgrades. So sometimes ill use one of them instead.)

For tourney i will use a pet food in the afternoon of the first day it starts. This allows me to fight the first round. And when i get up the next day, the 16h timer will hopefully be over, but the 24h fire phoenix pet food will still be active. So i can do a second round on the same pet food.
Since im doing 5 stars on tourney i can make one of two main choices. Either use 3 petfoods a week to cover the whole tourney period. OR i can do the first round with only the buildings 50% boost. Since its round 1, they should be a lot easier then later on. But you said you were doing up to #30, so im guessing they still get hard even at 1 star. But that leaves only 4 rounds left so i can only use 2 pet foods.

Dont worry.. im getting to the brown bear...

So thats what iv been doing the last several months. 13 provenances at 5 star along with full spire each and every single week; no break.
I start with my barracks squads at ~200 for each unit. Right now.. my over all losses are a little bit more then my unit creation. But i can still go a good month or more before my squad numbers become low enough to cause concern. (Im training around the clock 24/7. Thats why training size and speed is so important).

During that time, you will get a lot of time instant rewards in the spire.

So after that month or more when my numbers are low, ill feed my brown bear for the +50% unit production bonus. And i will fill up my barracks que, and start using those time instants. Ill have my whole army back up to ~200 squads all at once. And only at the cost of a single pet food. The key there is to do it in bulk. Not a few troops every day or every week. Get it all done at once to save your petfoods.

The only thing you have to take note about doing that... is supplies. Thats a lot of troops your training at once. So you will need a lot of supplies at once. So save up those supply instant rewards from spire as well. Or if you see a 100%, 50%, 33% supply instant in the MA, then craft it. they will come in handy. And, all that tourney and spire will mean youll have plenty of spell frags to craft with and relics for the catalysts. So its a nice big circle of goodness.

But doing this means i can do all my tourney and spire every week with no resting. And im only at the end of orcs chapter. (First tech of wood elves unlocked and then is topped for a while.) And in the end, dispite all the costs of doing all this, i still make/get more time instants and supply instants then i use. My cost of goods is very low, so i net out on that. I get more relics, spell frags then i use. Once you get to the point of being able to do this, im coming out with more of nearly everything in the end. Which feels weird... but i like it lol.
And i do all this with auto fight. So if your able to do better on manual then you might have less troop losses.

But the polar bear only reduces the cool down timer 20% at lvl 10 (from 16h to 12h 48m). Which is nice, dont get me wrong. But for what im currently doing, the brown bear came first.
Tho the timewarp AW (late in the game) at max level can reduce the cool down timer 80%. I would love to see having both the timewarp and the polar bear capped :p lol

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Dominionofgod

You do it a lot like me! I use 3 pet foods per week in my fire phoenix and 1 more when my troops get low, about once every 3 weeks. Since I craft 24/7 I too can afford to do it this way. I also use either 1+1+1 ELR,MMM,and UUU OR, on a week I want to do more, I might use 2+2+1. I average between 25 and 30 provinces per week and do all the rounds most weeks. The thing that makes all this possible is that I don't have a life outside of Elvenaar....LOL! Not really, just kidding! I do get on several times a day and I think that's really the only way to perform at a high and consistent level. I'm not sure I could take the time to fight manually all that way so it's all auto-fight for me.

I keep my troops only at 100 (target) and find that even if one type is at level 50 when I start, I can find secondary troops to use on the early runs. For me using secondary troops and preserving the ones that are very strong against particular types is smarter than using the strongest against the early troops I face because I know I will need them at level 25+ or even 20+. The only "odd" thing I do is that after the first round I start at the highest province and work down. So if I'm doing 30 provinces I start with number 30. I figure I won't then be tempted to use my best troops at too low a level and since they made it so that the list pops up on the page of the province you just completed, it's quite easy.

In any case, I don't fight the Spire, so that preserves troops.

AJ

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Torcuato I am a fighting based player and I have chose to prioritize Brown Bear over Polar Bear. The feeding effect from an evolved Brown Bear really helps keep up with troop production. And an evolved BB will also automatically make a fair number of troops every 48 hours. Polar Bear is actually decent even at stage 1. A non-evolved, level Polar Bear will still give you a 10% reduction in tournament cooldown. It also matters how far into the game you are: the Time Warp AW you unlock at the end of chapter 14 will give you an automatic reduction in tournament cooldown.

Torcuato

Im not sure what your referring to with the polar bear here. Polar bears feeding effect is to lower the tourney cool down timer; At lvl 10 it lowers the timer 20%. That doesn't effect manual or auto fighting at all.

I can however at least provide some insight on the use or brown bear for tourney/spire.

First off..

30 provs on manual? My god... that must take an eternity to do. - While i can do manual, i fight with auto fight. Gotten pretty good at it. But even that can take some time with two cities.

As for the brown bear.. I personally fight 13 provenances at 5 star every week and the full spire. No 'resting weeks'. And iv been able to maintain this. Granted.. i went to lengths to try and make sure this would be the case. And while im still short of my initial goal, i found some unexpected boosts to help make up for it fully.

I always craft a pet food in the MA when it shows up. As well as any 50% building (magnificent mage multiplies, enhanced light ranged, unleashed unit upgrade. Note the unleash unit upgrade (health) is only +25%)
I have a lvl 10 fire phoenix for 50%+ strength boost, and a lvl 10 brown bear to help replenish troops.
AW:
Recently i placed a Monistary (MM) for boost in health, but thats still fairly new for me.

Non-Direct AW:
Golden abyss and mountain halls. Everyone and everything needs population. (Technically, the MH goods boost is nice to if you ever have to negotiate.)

Each person has a different idea of when to place the three +50% buildings as well as when to use a pet food.
I personally, will place the buildings at the start of tourney (not the start of spire). This means i get the full effect of them for the whole tourney, and the spire. With time instants you will win in the spire, you can power through any locked gates on the last day that you didnt open naturally.
Right now, im going through the mass of buildings i built up over the years. So iv been using 1 mage, 1 light ranged, and two 25% health's.
Note; one building reward in the spire is Dwarven Armorer. It gives +50% health (equal to two unleashed unit upgrades. So sometimes ill use one of them instead.)

For tourney i will use a pet food in the afternoon of the first day it starts. This allows me to fight the first round. And when i get up the next day, the 16h timer will hopefully be over, but the 24h fire phoenix pet food will still be active. So i can do a second round on the same pet food.
Since im doing 5 stars on tourney i can make one of two main choices. Either use 3 petfoods a week to cover the whole tourney period. OR i can do the first round with only the buildings 50% boost. Since its round 1, they should be a lot easier then later on. But you said you were doing up to #30, so im guessing they still get hard even at 1 star. But that leaves only 4 rounds left so i can only use 2 pet foods.

So thats what iv been doing the last several months. 13 provenances at 5 star along with full spire each and every single week; no break.
I start with my barracks squads at ~200 for each unit. Right now.. my over all losses are a little bit more then my unit creation. But i can still go a good month or more before my squad numbers become low enough to cause concern. (Im training around the clock 24/7. Thats why training size and speed is so important).

So after that month or more when my numbers are low, ill feed my brown bear for the +50% unit production bonus. And i will fill up my barracks que, and start using those time instants. Ill have my whole army back up to ~200 squads all at once. And only at the cost of a single pet food. The key there is to do it in bulk. Not a few troops every day or every week. Get it all done at once to save your petfoods.

The only thing you have to take note about doing that... is supplies. Thats a lot of troops your training at once. So you will need a lot of supplies at once. So save up those supply instant rewards from spire as well. Or if you see a 100%, 50%, 33% supply instant in the MA, then craft it. they will come in handy. And, all that tourney and spire will mean youll have plenty of spell frags to craft with and relics for the catalysts. So its a nice big circle of goodness.

But doing this means i can do all my tourney and spire every week with no resting. And im only at the end of orcs chapter. (First tech of wood elves unlocked and then is topped for a while.) And in the end, dispite all the costs of doing all this, i still make/get more time instants and supply instants then i use. My cost of goods is very low, so i net out on that. I get more relics, spell frags then i use. Once you get to the point of being able to do this, im coming out with more of nearly everything in the end. Which feels weird... but i like it lol.
And i do all this with auto fight. So if your able to do better on manual then you might have less troop losses.

But the polar bear only reduces the cool down timer 20% at lvl 10 (from 16h to 12h 48m). Which is nice, dont get me wrong. But for what im currently doing, the brown bear came first.
Tho the timewarp AW (late in the game) at max level can reduce the cool down timer 80%. I would love to see having both the timewarp and the polar bear capped :p lol
thanks for your reply,
It seems our cities are similar somehow. Yes I do manual fights for the most part and these last weeks did over 30 provinces so yes takes long time per round. I also do 6 stars, so the polar bear comes handy. I do the first round at start of tournament (Tuesday at work so I have to do it auto with heavy loses), then wake up very early Tuesday and stay a bit late the same day to squeeze the 3rd start. After that, I can complete 1 star per day. The 10% reduction vs the 20% reduction (Polar bear from level 1 to 10) would allow me to fight manual (I finish work) instead of having to do it auto (I'm at work) when tournament starts and 12:48 hours later I'm still at home before work for a second star (also manual).
It is time consuming and not sure how sustainable, so I'm incline to go for brown as well at this point.
; )

Kekune

There is also a wonder that does what Polar does, but none that does what Brownie does.
Simia works the same way - extra troops for each pickup.

If you meant that there's an AW that can replace polar bear (a leveled timewarp is better than a fully evolved polar bear) but no AW can match brown bear, that's sort of true, but I think simia leveled still beats brown bear, in sum. And there are other ways to increase troop production, whereas you can't reach zero tourney cooldown (or even 1-hr cooldown) without a polar bear.

Torcuato

@Dominionofgod

You do it a lot like me! I use 3 pet foods per week in my fire phoenix and 1 more when my troops get low, about once every 3 weeks. Since I craft 24/7 I too can afford to do it this way. I also use either 1+1+1 ELR,MMM,and UUU OR, on a week I want to do more, I might use 2+2+1. I average between 25 and 30 provinces per week and do all the rounds most weeks. The thing that makes all this possible is that I don't have a life outside of Elvenaar....LOL! Not really, just kidding! I do get on several times a day and I think that's really the only way to perform at a high and consistent level. I'm not sure I could take the time to fight manually all that way so it's all auto-fight for me.

I keep my troops only at 100 (target) and find that even if one type is at level 50 when I start, I can find secondary troops to use on the early runs. For me using secondary troops and preserving the ones that are very strong against particular types is smarter than using the strongest against the early troops I face because I know I will need them at level 25+ or even 20+. The only "odd" thing I do is that after the first round I start at the highest province and work down. So if I'm doing 30 provinces I start with number 30. I figure I won't then be tempted to use my best troops at too low a level and since they made it so that the list pops up on the page of the province you just completed, it's quite easy.

AJ
It's good to see that you can do that many provinces with auto. I guess even the your loses are higher than mine (doing auto), brown bear recovers that. With polar bear at level 1, I still can do at least 4 rounds with manual, and the time is too much, so I think will moving more into auto fight and see how things go. Thanks for your response.

DeletedUser26243

First off..

AW:

Non-Direct AW:

What do I have to do to save what u wrote to be able to save I guess maybe reply would be the answer I just put out brown bear @4 don’t think I want polar as for AWs got all u mentioned except towers n shrooms not quite that far yet but gonna get I cater spire up n now can do 13 provs to 6 auto fight never got the hang of manual. Bout to start orc chapter Also did not know 2 unleashed equal 1 DA good to know just recently got my fire bird to @ 10

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
When Brownie is fed, I make the most of it by burning through a bunch of timers and supply windfalls too.

^This is the key to brownie.
Get all your troops training. Wait however many hours it takes for them to be done, or almost done before harvesting any.
Then feed your bear and collect troops.
Then like crack said, use timers to speed train, and have supply instants handy.
You can build/rebuild your army quickly that way.
If it works out that you do it when there's an FS Adventure, even better

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Simia works the same way - extra troops for each pickup.
You are right. I totally forgot Simia. He is all the way at the end of Chap 14 though, which means by the time you get to him, it's time for the dreaded Chap 15 so he's like a bittersweet consolation prize. I suppose one can enjoy Brownie for more chapters. There are also the intangibles to factor in, like Brownie is infinitely more adorable, cuddlier, and cuter than a disco monkey.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
I have to disagree. At least in part.
It might sound ass backwards, but if i didnt do the spire id be losing a lot more of almost everything, including troops. Not only the joys of getting artifacts, magic residences and workshops, dwarven armors, expiring buildings, diamonds, instants... etc etc etc. But you get a TON of time instants. Which let me rebuild my entire army with instants left over. - Without doing that, id lose out on all of those benefits, plus the extra troop training.
So... doing the spire... gets me more troops? lol Iv somehow reached a point where that is true.

I do the first round at start of tournament (Tuesday at work so I have to do it auto with heavy loses),
It's good to see that you can do that many provinces with auto. I guess even the your loses are higher than mine (doing auto), brown bear recovers that. With polar bear at level 1, I still can do at least 4 rounds with manual, and the time is too much, so I think will moving more into auto fight and see how things go. Thanks for your response.

I do everything in tourney and spire with auto fighting. I learned manual, i get it. I just dont have that kinda time for something like that. Especially when it was 4 encounters per provenance.
I dont even bother checking terrain either. Which might sound crazy to some. I jsut size up the list of enemy troops, select mine, auto fight, done. I very rarely ever get a defeat unless the troop type is just to mixed. But usually, i can see that and i know that going into the fight.
Im not saying what i do is the most efficient way ever. Probably far from it. But.. that should make my points in the last post even more valid. If doing everything auto fight in this 'inefficient' way.. and im still coming out in the end with more of everything.. then once your built for it, it should work for every fighter. Better for those doing manual fighting (if they know what they are doing).

But i got used to auto fight real quick. Can judge it up in a second or two and im on to the next one. - Tho its good to remember which units you have boosted. Fire phoenix might hit all troops equally, but the 5day buildings and the AW often hit only a specific unit. So my light melee might only be at 150% (+50%) form fire phoenix, but i also know my light ranged is 237% dmg (50% phoenix, 50% 5day, 37% needles). So you start to learn and remember that certain units might perform better then others. Example, if im facing 5 squares of mages.. bothe light melee and light ranged are strong to them. But i no those bonus, and that light ranged will do a much better job. (my poor light melee, they always get the shaft right now)

Once you start noticing things it becomes a lot easier.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I've based my entire city around this idea. Zero cooldown means getting double the usage out of 5-day buildings and being able to crush out everything with a single login has infinite value to me. I just hope I get enough artifacts to do it.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

"Great minds think alike" as they say :p

@Dominionofgod What I meant to say is that I do the Spire by negotiating entirely, not that I don't do the Spire at all. My mistake. I save troops by catering/negotiating it from top to bottom...well, bottom to top, I guess. That means I use 0 troops and thus, reserve my troops for the tournament. (I also always negotiate provinces, but they are, at my state, quite cheap as they are all medium anyway).

AJ

Torcuato

I have to disagree. At least in part.
It might sound ass backwards, but if i didnt do the spire id be losing a lot more of almost everything, including troops. Not only the joys of getting artifacts, magic residences and workshops, dwarven armors, expiring buildings, diamonds, instants... etc etc etc. But you get a TON of time instants. Which let me rebuild my entire army with instants left over. - Without doing that, id lose out on all of those benefits, plus the extra troop training.
So... doing the spire... gets me more troops? lol Iv somehow reached a point where that is true.

I do everything in tourney and spire with auto fighting. I learned manual, i get it. I just dont have that kinda time for something like that. Especially when it was 4 encounters per provenance.
I dont even bother checking terrain either. Which might sound crazy to some. I jsut size up the list of enemy troops, select mine, auto fight, done. I very rarely ever get a defeat unless the troop type is just to mixed. But usually, i can see that and i know that going into the fight.
Im not saying what i do is the most efficient way ever. Probably far from it. But.. that should make my points in the last post even more valid. If doing everything auto fight in this 'inefficient' way.. and im still coming out in the end with more of everything.. then once your built for it, it should work for every fighter. Better for those doing manual fighting (if they know what they are doing).

But i got used to auto fight real quick. Can judge it up in a second or two and im on to the next one. - Tho its good to remember which units you have boosted. Fire phoenix might hit all troops equally, but the 5day buildings and the AW often hit only a specific unit. So my light melee might only be at 150% (+50%) form fire phoenix, but i also know my light ranged is 237% dmg (50% phoenix, 50% 5day, 37% needles). So you start to learn and remember that certain units might perform better then others. Example, if im facing 5 squares of mages.. bothe light melee and light ranged are strong to them. But i no those bonus, and that light ranged will do a much better job. (my poor light melee, they always get the shaft right now)

Once you start noticing things it becomes a lot easier.
perhaps what ajq means is that he negotiates instead of fighting.
it's good to see that auto is that effective. I thought that people would have to do manual to not lose many troops that would not be enough time to retrain again even with brown bear. Although, I just checked elven stats and your city in Elcysandir has been averaging around 2700 points (not counting last week). This is 10 provinces which are 1 and 2 stars enemies. After that the enemy is 3 stars and armies start being bigger, so loses are much larger. First, you send larger armies so 25% loses means more actual loses, and second, around province 30 or so the enemy is double your size, so not sure how effective auto would be.

Last edited: