• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Can't progress

DeletedUser7621

I am stuck at a point that I am unable to progress thru the game anymore. I am required to complete 50 provinces to move to Act IV, but the battles seem to be unwinnable. Granted I just now got the max Squad size researched for Act III (only Superior Barracks and Superior Main Hall left to research for Act III, and yes I verified that no research was missed in the entire tree), but given the battles I have been doing so far, it is very unlikely that I am going to be able to win all the battles to complete a province.

One part of the issue I see is, the enemy troops can attack from their given attack distance, but for my Golem, he will not attack at 3 spaces away (2 empty spaces between units), but has to be 2 spaces away (only 1 space away from the enemy unit). The Archer II will randomly allow me to attack from 4 spaces away, but about 60% of the time he has to be 3 spaces away. Then there is the enemy Cannoneer's that can attack the full map away, seriously damaging my units before I can really do much for attacking.

My Sword Dancer II's and Archer II's seem to be easier to pick off than when they were their previous levels, even though it shows they are stronger and should stand up against the enemy perfectly fine. I understand the enemy units have also gotten stronger, but numbers for numbers, mine don't actually seem like they improved with the new level. An example is the Drone Rider vs Sword Dancer II. My troop size was 114, so I tested 114 Sword Dancer II's vs 63 Drone Riders. The Drone Riders won by far, even though I made the first attack. I am supposed to have more attacking power and more life, not to mention the larger troop size.

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated, otherwise this game will get very boring fast being stuck.

DeletedUser2963

I am stuck at a point that I am unable to progress thru the game anymore. I am required to complete 50 provinces to move to Act IV, but the battles seem to be unwinnable. Granted I just now got the max Squad size researched for Act III (only Superior Barracks and Superior Main Hall left to research for Act III, and yes I verified that no research was missed in the entire tree), but given the battles I have been doing so far, it is very unlikely that I am going to be able to win all the battles to complete a province.

Hard to believe but you just got past the hardest fights in the game. The fights between era 2 and era 3 are the worst, they are unbalanced and because you don't have all troop types unlocked really difficult.

This is a player written guide here on the forum.

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-fighting-guide.4205/

You do not have to read the whole thing. The key to winning is making sure you are using the correct troop and that you are not outnumbered by more than 2:1(that you are in the correct ring). If you scroll down to the province section of this guide you will find info on the best troops or troop mix to use in each different province type(marble, steel,plank,crystal,silk,scrolls,elixer,magic dust, gems)

Gath Of Baal

If you are 50 provinces short of what is required to get into the next chapter, your troops should be cleaning the floor with the enemy units.
if the battles are being buggy when you manual combat , give auto fight a try, you should be able to win auto fight since you are so far back.
Ancient wonder like the needles of the tempest and martial monastery/sanctuary will help your troops with additional health and damage.
Also choosing the right units to counter then enemy units is very important also to winning. If you hover your pointer over your units on the screen where you pick squads to go into combat, it will show you on the enemy units portrait how well they will do against any particular enemy squad type

DeletedUser7621

Correct, I am in need of 50 total. Currently at 38/50 completed. And I have done a round pattern around my village for scouting.

Haven't unlocked any Ancient Wonders yet, but only need 1 each for the first 2. I am not in any Fellowship, so gaining Rune Shards is kinda slow going. As for unit selection, I believe I have been selecting the correct units to fight the opposing units, and also believe I have placed them in the correct order.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7621

Yes, I have both unlocked, just got to squad size 9. I have yet to train any Sorceress though as they seem quite weak, and according to the info on them, not very effective against Light unit types.

1 battle I have been working on for example contains the following units.
Enemy troops (in order on the Army Setup screen):
1x (126) Thief
2x (126) Bandit
2x (63) Drone Rider
1x (63) Orc General

The units I believe I should send are (in order on the Army Setup screen):
1x (114) Archer II
2x (19) Treant
2x (114) Sword Dancer II

Note, my numbers would now be increased to the following after I opened Squad 9.

1x (141) Archer II
2x (23) Treant
2x (141) Sword Dancer II

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Looks like SS9 gave you a ~23% increase in size, hopefully that's enough. As for your troop set up, I can't speak to that as I haven't fought in a long time.

DeletedUser7621

Is there anyone else that may have some input that might assist? I am not entirely sure my troops are broken, but I am kinda leaning that way.

DeletedUser2963

@ElfLord Lee Did you go look at the guide? It is really pretty amazing. You don't have to read the whole thing, just scroll down to the province you are fighting in......based on the troop type you listed its an elixer province
elixer.PNG

So you should be using your golems with one or two archers or mages as support. Expect the archers or mages to get hit first and hit hard. Try and keep them protected behind your golems.

Also, good rule of thumb, any fight that will require more than 2 troop types is cheaper to negotiate :)

I gotta be honest, I did not read the guide, just looked at the pretty pictures for reference :D...until I ask a question on the forum and @Mykan pointed out that if I read the words right under the pretty pictures I would see the answer ;)

Your in late chapter three which puts you in the Mid-late game range. The early game range is for people who do not have all troop types unlocked (they dont have access to the best counter troops).

DeletedUser7621

Yeah, it is was an Elixar province. Guess I may have to try using the Golems a bit more. With their lower health, I haven't used them much at all. Thanks for the info, will have to see how things go.

Gath Of Baal

If the grounds of the orc strategists comes up again as prize in this event, you might want to try for 1 or 2 of them

DeletedUser6335

I think they said the list can only be updated 7 days in advance (when they see the reward for the day on BETA) - so it *might* come back around between now and the end of the Event. Keep your eye on that rewards list!! :)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Yeah it's hard to guess- on Beta the orc nest just came out, and there are 8 days to go. 1 of those should be the phoenix Excursion, and Timon hinted that the travelling merchants would come up "several times" which means 3 days could be taken by those again. That would leave 4 mystery days for repeats from this or past events.

DeletedUser4778

You always have 2 options: negotiating or fighting. The first is faster and easier especially if you have a solid goods production setup. Fighting and winning successfully and consistently come with experience. I agree with all the points you made in your OP and I used to hate cannoneers the most although they have now been supplanted by the overpowered mist walkers.

Speaking from my own experience, the unit I use the least is the Sword Dancer and I currently don't use or even produce them anymore. As for your example, I hardly ever pit light melee against light melee, especially if the enemy outnumbers me in terms of weighted/unweighted numbers. While your sword dancers may outnumber the drone riders, they do not outnumber them enough to make up for unit weight. The sword dancer's unit weight is 1 while the drone rider's is 2. So, while 114 sword dancers may look like they outnumber the 63 drone riders, if you multiply the drone numbers by 2, they actually number 126. Add to that the fact the Drone Rider I has better average damage of 46 vs. the Sword Dancer II's average damage of 23 which is exactly half. So you WILL lose this fight because they actually outnumber you and their damage is more than twice yours. The unit numbers can be misleading, especially if one doesn't look at the other stats. For example, anyone who doesn't look at the stats would think that many dogs can take down a few treants but the treants will normally trample all over them.

Elixir is my favorite province to fight because it's where I can most often get away with 0 losses using mostly or all granite golems with an elite archer squad or two depending on terrain. I favor using granite golems over my treants II in many cases due to a particular enemy combo or terrain layout. My record so far is 8 straight perfect wins in Chapter 8 vs. Ring 10 but this held true even when I was in Chapter 7 and, if my suspicions are correct, will still be true vs. Ring 11. 2 rings above the chapter we're in is supposed to be moderately difficult while 3 rings above is supposed to be very difficult but I find Elixir provinces very easy while Scrolls provinces and anything with Mist Walkers in lower rings such as Ring 8 mean I suffer more than x3 the losses I do in other provinces that are in Ring 10. Sure, they're still easy for me in the sense that I win all my fights against them but hard in terms of troop casualties since I don't train troops fast enough to handle both tournaments and provinces.

You might want to check out the Battle Sheet linked in my signature. You can also find the discussion on it if you search by title in this forum to see how you can best use it.

Best of luck and happy gaming!

EDIT: Ah, just reread the thread and saw your specific scenario.

Enemy troops:
1x (126) Thief
2x (126) Bandit
2x (63) Drone Rider
1x (63) Orc General

The units you should send are:
Treant/Golem (depends on terrain, you can include a screenshot if you like) vs Thief
Golem vs Bandit
Treant/Golem vs Drone Rider
Archer vs Orc General (Sorceress could be an option for its special ability but it is weak against everything else while the archer is only weak against thieves and drone riders)

In a case like this, I normally send in all golems. Even though they're supposedly weak against orc generals, orc generals are slow and the golem's damage is decent enough that it can wipe out or drastically weaken the orc generals if some or all golems attack them at the same time. I normally wipe out everything before the orc generals can get to me. The archers will be targeted by all the other units due to their higher initiative and their low hp means not enough or none at all may be left for the orc generals. especially since they're weak against thieves and drone riders which make up 3 squads here while the golem is good against everything except orc generals. I wouldn't choose treants here because, while it's good against light melee, its low movement means it usually won't be able to reach them first and the enemy will wipe out your archers in the meantime, especially since the drone riders and bandits will often be able to evade your treants while killing your archers. Aside from that, the golem is good against 5 squads and has the possibility of evading orc generals if terrain is in your favor while the treant is good against 4 squads but has a very limited possibility of reaching the enemy to be able to protect archers or other support units. If there are obstacles in the way, then you should definitely use golems since it will take the treants agonizingly long to reach the enemy and all your other troops will probably be dead by then.

Positioning is very important. In case you don't already know, the order in the army setup screen is not the same as the order in which they appear on the battlefield. You can find details and screenshots on the Army Setup Screen and Starting Battlefield Setup in Mykan's Guide which Iyapo already referenced.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Yeah, it is was an Elixar province. Guess I may have to try using the Golems a bit more. With their lower health, I haven't used them much at all. Thanks for the info, will have to see how things go.
In a case like this, I normally send in all golems.

Based on the example I would also be going all golems. I think the more troop types you use the harder it is for the AI on auto combat. If possible 1 troop type seems to be best for auto-combat and go 2 as needed. In your example there was only 1 counter troop (the orc general) so he can be ignored in selecting your troops as he is by himself. If there was 2 of them they can often be ignored but it does vary by unit and also squad size ratio.

DeletedUser7621

I was able to finish the above province, took quite a bit of losses though, lol. I am on a combination of Rings 4 and 5 at the moment. Currently it seems impossible to defeat a Marble province with my troop levels, which seems a bit odd to me, being I need so many provinces completed to move to the next Act.

My understanding of Mykan's guide is quite lacking, as I am really not sure how to use it. I am not sure if I put in my research squad size, or what is shown when setting up for a battle. I guess it is a bit more complicated than I can figure out on my own. Plus I see nowhere that indicates what the outcome may be. I am use to a battle calculator that was used for the game The Settlers Online, and that is way different than this style. I have looked at Bune's calculator, but that one seems to lack quite a few units, making it unusable.

Marble province I am at now is what I have attached. My troop choice was just throwing something on there for picture purposes, lol.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 106