• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cauldrons 101

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Wow! Just Wow! I looked at this initially and haven't looked again. So, I figured that maybe I had made it more complicated than it had to be on the first try and decided to give this thread a go at figuring it out since I have the perception that Katwick has good information from reading the Beta forum. What a huge undertaking all of this had to be! Thank you @Katwick ! This is even more insanely complicated than I had ever imagined :eek: There is not a chance in Hell I will ever work this hard to figure out something so convoluted in a game that I want to enjoy as a leisurely hobby. Even if I sorted through all of this, I still don't get what benefit would make it worth all of the work to even try.

Katwick

Cartographer
I still don't get what benefit would make it worth all of the work to even try.
I'm certain that a Botanist enjoys a Rose Garden more than I do, simply because there's so much more for them to look at. A PhD is all about knowing more and more about less and less.

Likewise for Mountain Climbing. There's never an end to it, because the Higher you climb the more there is to see of mountains that you still need to climb.

To your point, the Cauldron Recipe module is a very elegant design, and there are TONS of interesting implications that I'm just starting to explore. I've spent 50 years designing complex logistics and distribution systems, that's my thing and I'm good at it, and that includes providing a User Interface that makes the design useful for everyday ordinary purposes. What the Users need "might" even lead to some interesting design challenges. ;)

For MY fun, I just barely care about the Goblets and Buffs, how it works is the interesting part. But I fully recognize that most people don't want to know that much about Squirrels.

So be it. You probably have your favorite thing too. My sister loves Quilting, but her eyes glaze over whenever I try to explain about Tessellation, and she'd NEVER look at Intelligent Quilting Design.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Katwick What an eloquent explanation :cool: You hit the nail on the head. I spent 40 years in top management CPA positions ;) Some of my favorite things were multinational multi company consolidations, complex reconciliations, and a plethora of management planning & forecasting. I was also very good at what I did. Now that I am retired I have lost my enthusiasm for ‘working’ on a game. I have said before that I weigh what is worth the level of frustration vs what is worth the spend to avoid. For the cauldron, I don‘t even see an offsetting spend to avoid so…

Dew Spinner

I'm certain that a Botanist enjoys a Rose Garden more than I do, simply because there's so much more for them to look at. A PhD is all about knowing more and more about less and less.

Likewise for Mountain Climbing. There's never an end to it, because the Higher you climb the more there is to see of mountains that you still need to climb.

To your point, the Cauldron Recipe module is a very elegant design, and there are TONS of interesting implications that I'm just starting to explore. I've spent 50 years designing complex logistics and distribution systems, that's my thing and I'm good at it, and that includes providing a User Interface that makes the design useful for everyday ordinary purposes. What the Users need "might" even lead to some interesting design challenges. ;)

For MY fun, I just barely care about the Goblets and Buffs, how it works is the interesting part. But I fully recognize that most people don't want to know that much about Squirrels.

So be it. You probably have your favorite thing too. My sister loves Quilting, but her eyes glaze over whenever I try to explain about Tessellation, and she'd NEVER look at Intelligent Quilting Design.
I appreciate all your hard work but you are playing to the top 0.01%, which means it is practically useless to the vast majority. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it is a useful tool for most players. With that said, I wish I could understand it in it's full beauty. It's like explaining CyberKnife technology to someone who has cancer, they have no clue how it works, they just hope it works, with no intention of ever using it themselves because it is just to complicated for most people to understand. I can't make heads or tails of the charts and graphs you have put out and I am sure there are a plethora of players like me. If you can't simplify it down then probably only 2 or 3 forum members will be able to use it, maybe even less.

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
If you can't simplify it down then probably only 2 or 3 forum members will be able to use it, maybe even less.
But part of what @Katwick said is: (bolding is mine)
that's my thing and I'm good at it, and that includes providing a User Interface that makes the design useful for everyday ordinary purposes.
And, that's why I continue to follow this thread. In a previous post, it looks like they're only a couple weeks away from a 'Beta release'. I'd love to volunteer for beta testing this thing! Players like me who are interested, but don't truly understand it can bring new meaning to 'everyday, ordinary purposes' without even trying ;)

Dew Spinner

But part of what @Katwick said is: (bolding is mine)

And, that's why I continue to follow this thread. In a previous post, it looks like they're only a couple weeks away from a 'Beta release'. I'd love to volunteer for beta testing this thing! Players like me who are interested, but don't truly understand it can bring new meaning to 'everyday, ordinary purposes' without even trying ;)
I understand what you are saying but in order to "help" other players the tool has to be understandable to most players and this is not.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
And now I feel like saying “challenge accepted” :rolleyes: One of the reasons I have loved this game & usually this forum is the core bunch of highly intelligent and successful players who I can respect. I sincerely believe that there are many players here who could delve into the massive amount of work that Katwick has put into this and benefit from it without a lot of struggling to understand. I also believe the core bunch on this forum don’t expect everything to be done for them. I am so grateful most of us are not a bunch of sheep who can’t bother to do some thinking for ourselves!

StarLoad

And now I feel like saying “challenge accepted” :rolleyes: One of the reasons I have loved this game & usually this forum is the core bunch of highly intelligent and successful players who I can respect. I sincerely believe that there are many players here who could delve into the massive amount of work that Katwick has put into this and benefit from it without a lot of struggling to understand. I also believe the core bunch on this forum don’t expect everything to be done for them. I am so grateful most of us are not a bunch of sheep who can’t bother to do some thinking for ourselves!
I agree that great work is done here by members that just want to help, if we are so inclined to accept.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
To which I respond, "baaa, baaa, baaa" :cool:

AJ

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
To which I respond, "baaa, baaa, baaa" :cool:

AJ
Ha, Ha! You’ve put plenty of effort into the forum figuring things out, helping explain things or offering suggestions. Even friendly debates help others see other points of view to choose to incorporate in their game or not. Of course, I’m still not gung-ho to figure out the cauldron so if anybody comes up with an easier approach I would be happy to respond “baaa, baaa, baaa”. :cool: I just don’t get why to figure all that out.

Katwick

Cartographer
FB_IMG_1647117291610.jpg