• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Change profile description of inactive cities

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Procedurally clear/replace city descriptions during weekly city maintenance.

Cities are already assessed for movement every week. Tack onto that process clearing the description of the city to default if the account is a lesser-degree of inactive. I.e., any city not accessed in more than 7 days has the description cleared to either blank, Some default designation such as "Townville") or to the account name.

Benefit:
People use their city description field for a lot of things, including hints as to their preference for neighbourly help. Trying to honour people's wishes is worth a little effort, but often when you are helping a hundred or more neighbours, the ones that aren't actually active cause enough noise to make it harder. If inactive cities (for whom where the help is falling is mostly irrelevant anyway) had extraneous information removed, it would simplify the actions of active players. This change benefits anyone in any market who likes to help a large number of neighbours on a regular basis

Downsides: a little extra server maintenance processing and (from a PR perspective) players might more easily have a truer picture of how many inactive cities there are if they really want to analyze it.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I'm wondering if Inno wouldn't see this as a negative as some people's world would be filled with "townvilles'" and thus lead to more discouragement. While I'm pretty sure knowing who is active and who is not would help the players, it might be hard on the bottom line.

Just a thought off the top of my tiny head.

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I'm wondering if Inno wouldn't see this as a negative as some people's world would be filled with "townvilles'" and thus lead to more discouragement. While I'm pretty sure knowing who is active and who is not would help the players, it might be hard on the bottom line.

AJ
I agree. While I love love love this idea, I do believe that Inno would never go for it.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One

AJ
I too expect that Inno will be concerened about that. Which is why I listed the ability for players to possibly see how many players are really inactive in the Downsides section.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
We could argue this is just another attempt to work around the refusal to do anything in-game that shows if a player not in your fellowship is active because of how Inno interprets various privacy laws. This was pretty much confirmed to us by helya, the previous CM, during the time you were away from the game.

Katwick

Cartographer
While I like the idea, we already have Goldmines, and they serve exactly the same purpose.

That said, some people already courteous enough to plug
** Inactive **​
into their city name, and I'd be delighted with an automatic request change after a couple of inactive weeks.

To sweeten the pot, InnoGames could use THAT flag, rather than doing repetitive status lookups. (as could we)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
While I like the idea, we already have Goldmines, and they serve exactly the same purpose.

That said, some people already courteous enough to plug
** Inactive **​
into their city name, and I'd be delighted with an automatic request change after a couple of inactive weeks.

To sweeten the pot, InnoGames could use THAT flag, rather than doing repetitive status lookups. (as could we)

If there were an option in the setup to say something like: "change city name to "Inactive" if I don't log in after X amount of days" The "X" being whatever Inno determines to be reasonable. I'd like it to be about a month (30 days) but I would take anything over having to look up every player. In any case, it would be simple to do but take a bit of processing time as, at first, it would probably have to do thousands and thousands of changes to catch up. After that however many a day would do the trick. But of course, this suffers from the same problem as any marking of "inactive" in that it would show all the inactives. On the other hand, it would get around any privacy laws as the user would choose the option.

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
How about if everyone's city name changed to a default three times a year and you have to put it back or there it stays?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Nice concept!! But just zap whatever was entered.
I think blank would fine for me, but the developers might not like it. It could be something seasonal. On March 21, every city names changes to "Springfield", June 21 it changes to "Summerville" September 21 it changes to "Autumnton" and Dec 21 it changes to "Winterford"