• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Change the wholesaler

Huor

Seeing as there are so many abandoned cities on the map, does it make sense to have the wholesaler be a more fair trader. Currently for me, a trade for 880 marble would cost 4,400 planks. Now if I was to place a trade like that and didn't get banned from the game for doing it, I don't know how many negative stars that would be under the fair trading system.

If the wholesaler can't be made a somewhat fair trader, how about instead of expiring the trades, a bot sweeps them up based on a 3 star trade.

I know there is the Blooming Trader Guild that makes some of these adjustments, but that item is a long way from the start of the game.

Huor

I'm lucky (and very thankful) to have a few late stage players around me that will pick up my trades. I understand the wholesaler purpose, but it also assumes there are a reasonable number of active traders around and that's just not the case.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I have implemented the strategy known as fishing. I throw out tiny morsels of trade and wait to see who bites. Some of the cities that look inactive will bite bc they are small cities not posting trades and won’t take most trades since they are too big and out of their league. If they bite, I will shoot them a msg and start a conversation, usually suggesting it’s better for them to post their own little trades than wait for someone to list little trades they can digest. Once I know they are active, I will start taking their trades to help them grow faster, which helps the neighborhood. In doing so, I’ve learned several cities that I thought were abandoned were actually active cities. It won’t fix an inactive neighborhood but it will help.

Guurt The Destroyer

I have implemented the strategy known as fishing. I throw out tiny morsels of trade and wait to see who bites. Some of the cities that look inactive will bite bc they are small cities not posting trades and won’t take most trades since they are too big and out of their league. If they bite, I will shoot them a msg and start a conversation, usually suggesting it’s better for them to post their own little trades than wait for someone to list little trades they can digest. Once I know they are active, I will start taking their trades to help them grow faster, which helps the neighborhood. In doing so, I’ve learned several cities that I thought were abandoned were actually active cities. It won’t fix an inactive neighborhood but it will help.

As someone that had a young city only a few weeks ago, I can say that small trades definitely go quickly. Before I joined a FS I never had any trouble making trades as long as they were small. Perhaps it was bigger cities snapping them up, but I suspect that a lot of my trades were taken by small cities like my own. As a small city when I look at the trades available to me they are almost all too large for me to use. It would be cool if I could just take part of a trade. If someone puts up 200,000 wood for 200,000 marble why can't I do 200 wood for 200 marble from that large trade... it just reduces. Then big players could put up trades and smaller cities could always take them in smaller bites.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
As someone that had a young city only a few weeks ago, I can say that small trades definitely go quickly. Before I joined a FS I never had any trouble making trades as long as they were small. Perhaps it was bigger cities snapping them up, but I suspect that a lot of my trades were taken by small cities like my own. As a small city when I look at the trades available to me they are almost all too large for me to use. It would be cool if I could just take part of a trade. If someone puts up 200,000 wood for 200,000 marble why can't I do 200 wood for 200 marble from that large trade... it just reduces. Then big players could put up trades and smaller cities could always take them in smaller bites.
This would be good if the trade is two star, even for even. It would probably be difficult for players to wrap their heads around it if they were one or 3 star trades. Some players would probably think the trader erred ... say, for example, someone posted a trade for 100,000 silk and wanted 99000 crystal. Then you'd have someone wanting a part of it, say they had 200 crystal and did the trade. They'd get 202 silk. Now that 100,000 trade is a 99,798 silk for 98,800 crystal. It doesn't look as easy to break down ... and people would have a hard time figuring out what they'd get back if they again gave 200 crystal. It just makes for messy trades. If they were all 2 star at the same tier, that would work.

Guurt The Destroyer

This would be good if the trade is two star, even for even. It would probably be difficult for players to wrap their heads around it if they were one or 3 star trades. Some players would probably think the trader erred ... say, for example, someone posted a trade for 100,000 silk and wanted 99000 crystal. Then you'd have someone wanting a part of it, say they had 200 crystal and did the trade. They'd get 202 silk. Now that 100,000 trade is a 99,798 silk for 98,800 crystal. It doesn't look as easy to break down ... and people would have a hard time figuring out what they'd get back if they again gave 200 crystal. It just makes for messy trades. If they were all 2 star at the same tier, that would work.

A straight percentage would work. I simply put in the % that I want and that gets applied to both sides of the trade. Yes, there would be some rounding issues at times as 1% of from your example of 99,798 isn't a whole number. But you could easily work around this by limiting percentage trades in some way or simply having them round up or down. 1% of 99,798 is 997.98 and I think the game balance wouldn't be affected too much if this was just rounded up to 998 giving someone a free .02 of an item. In many trades a percentage of 1 good would be lost as well.

In fact the % could be automated by the system. So the client doesn't see the larger numbers at all. Instead the client only sees the trade as something they can reasonable afford.

So for instance if you put up a trade of 99,798 silk for 98,800 crystal then I would see it as a trade of say 998 silk for 988 crystal. I take it if I want to, and I don't have to do any math at all. The total is then deducted from your trade. I am sure this won't happen, but there are ways to implement these things that would work.

Iyapo1

@Huor
Unless you are scroll boosted there is no reason to trade with the Wholesaler other than to burn off excess supplies and coins.
A good fellowship trumps a bad neighborhood any day!

If you are scroll boosted, my sympathy...you can get the Blooming Trader Guild at the end of chapter 7.

Guurt The Destroyer

People play the game so differently. There is a city in my neighborhood that is a chapter or two ahead of me, but this player is in fellowship in which they are the only member. Everyday they put up small 3 star trades. I take them all if I can. This player clearly needs the trades and I gain a tiny boost from taking them. They have exactly 2 of every type of factory.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
If someone puts up 200,000 wood for 200,000 marble why can't I do 200 wood for 200 marble from that large trade... it just reduces. Then big players could put up trades and smaller cities could always take them in smaller bites.
trader improved.png

Last edited:

Huor

I figured talk about changes to the base trader had been floated before. The percentage is a very cool idea! Not looking forward to this "parasites" thing though.

Alram

Flippers just flip
I think of the wholesaler as just a place to burn excess coins and supplies. People in early chapters with dead neighborhoods can craft the traveling merchants in the MA.

Is there a traveling merchant option for sentient goods?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I think of the wholesaler as just a place to burn excess coins and supplies. People in early chapters with dead neighborhoods can craft the traveling merchants in the MA.

Is there a traveling merchant option for sentient goods?
I was told by someone who was a lot higher than me in score that traveling merchants give seeds and mana. They INSISTED they weren't talking about the Festival merchant, but rather the Traveling merchant. I've never seen it so I think they were nuts. If I'm wrong I'll apologize for that. As far as sentient goods, I don't think they give that either.

Talaedraiia

I’ve just started woodelves, but am aware of sentient goods. What I don’t understand is what sentients and parasites do . What dangers are ahead for me?