• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Change the wholesaler

StarLoad

The short answer is dependant on what server and what your sentient boosts are. If you are boosted in the right stuff then you won't have issues as much, but, if not then you will learn fast that some items are not really worth making and trading, but you have no option but to do that.

Parasites are just as they sound, players that in many cases dont make any sentient goods but use other accounts to fill up on the good items and only resell at extremely inflated rates. Sometimes you will see them as the only one offering a needed items, and often at trade ratios of .20 to .50

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I’ve just started woodelves, but am aware of sentient goods. What I don’t understand is what sentients and parasites do . What dangers are ahead for me?
Pretty much what Ed said. If you have the "wrong" boosted sentients for your server you will struggle because some loser finds it fun to buy up all of the trades (other than your boost) and repost them at horrible ratios.
Basically, the chapter requirements will be twice as hard for you compared to what the developers intended and that may cause the game to feel like a grind.

Talaedraiia

Thank you for replying. I’m in us winyander and my standard boosts are planks, silk and dust, so I think my sentient will be marble. Do you think I will be having problems getting what I will need?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@SoggyShorts, I could agree but would prefer to require the trades to 2* or 3* to have that option. Just dont want to see the parasites try to take advantage of it

The word "parasite" is a moral judgment of another player. You, no doubt, have your own standard of fairness but to label another player a parasite is, I believe, problematic in itself. Here's my reasoning.

The operative word in this discussion is "fair." Since the standard of "fair," is either what each individual thinks is fair -- a reflection of their current assessment of the value of the trade -- or a measure provided by the trading system (the "authorities.)" If the "authorities" have provided a system of "fairness," it has to be based upon something or it is arbitrary. In either case though, that system will not easily respond to the psychological and dynamic measures of those using the trading system. It will, therefore, be often out of alignment with the perceived value of the various items being traded. In other words, the measure of "fair" will not reflect the sense of "fair" of the players at the time.

The problem is then judgement. When we declare a trade to be "unfair," we are making a moral judgment. We are declaring one player has violated a standard of fairness and thus is not to be considered a "good and blameless person." We might even call them a "parasite." At the same time we imply that the one taking the trade is either ignorant or being taken advantage of, making that person the "victim."

Now of course, there may be limits. Sometimes a system needs a "governor." In this game one method is the wholesaler. The wholesaler provides a limit to the market by setting how much a limited amount of goods will cost. If a good were to become more expensive to purchase from other players than the wholesaler, people would purchase from the wholesaler. But, so far, I've never seen that happen. This puts an effective maximum price on goods.

Another limiter is the ratios allowed by the system. You can't post more than an 8 to one trade. This sets an effective limit on values. Within these ranges the price of items can fluctuate.

But here's the thing. The star system is supposed to tell you what's "fair," but it's a limited measure of fairness. Why is that? Because it uses the production costs alone. In other words, by using the production cost of each good. And if value were determined strictly by cost of production that would be fair. But that's not the case. Trades may be done by the players based upon an assumption that the cost of production is the only or at least sufficient basis of determining the fairness of a trade, but other things are also part of the valuation the players make. Things like an over supply or a shortage. Things like what is going on in the individual traders situation. The star system is not dynamic and does not respond to changing conditions and thus, many times is not a good measure of if the trade is fair or not. It does not take into account the sense of value of the player in his/her particular situation at the time. It does not take into account the fluctuations in supply/demand. And those items are to the player sometimes more important than the production costs. And since it's the player making the trade, the star system may not reflect the players evaluation of the fairness of the trade.

From this we note several things: First, since the star system does not participate in the trade itself, it is unfair to judge the trade's value by that system. Only those making the trade can decide if the trade is fair to them or not. Second, imposing moral standards and judging people to be "parasites" because you would never make such a trade, is reaching too far in our evaluations. We can say, honestly, we would not have made that trade, but that's about as far as we can go. And if we were to evaluate the trade based upon all the conditions of the trade -- including the circumstances, desires, and goals of the ones making the trade, we might find that we would have made the trade! And finally, if the reasoning of this is correct, perhaps we ought to go a step farther and stop using social pressure and rules to enforce what are, essentially, our own, personal, reactions to trades we consider "unfair."

AJ

StarLoad

@ajqtrz, I was the one that started calling them parasites openly, and I chose that word with intention. It was not a moral judgment but a description of their actions. They do not participate by creating goods and selling them at inflated values, that is just greed. The parasites are players that do NOT create goods but either exist by grabbing all the trades of others and reselling to the community at exorbitant "prices" or have other accounts that feed them goods (push accounts) to enable the trades already mentioned.

StarLoad

Thank you for replying. I’m in us winyander and my standard boosts are planks, silk and dust, so I think my sentient will be marble. Do you think I will be having problems getting what I will need?
You will be "Moonstone", "Obsidian" and, "Bismuth" but I do not know how that will fare on "Winy"

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence

Attachments

• winy para.png
    winy para.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 64

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Here is what we have evolved as a workaround. Either you join a fellowship with a good mix of sentient boosts or you trade at a small 3 star margin if you're unfortunate enough to make a common good, like me (I'm Gum). If you push the 3 star margin too high the parasites will just snap up your trades. Don't feed them! And don't take their 3 star trades either. Let's make it as hard as possible for them to do research.

defiantoneks

i've suggested the auto-pickup bot for 2-3 star trades. no idea if anyone has honestly considered it or just ignored. but there's so much not aligning when you get to sentient, something needs to happen to fix it. especially for those of us boosted in steel/scrolls/dust gum/velvet/bismuth.
getting a fair trade is nearly impossible. my FS members are in the same chapter, so they can't afford to trade with me just so I can get ahead, as they're trying to scrape up enough materials for their own research.

the parasites need to be removed, or made irrelevant. if there's a bot to pick up my 2-3 star trades after X hours if they arent grabbed by a real person, we all get to continue playing fairly and the leeches have no one to extort into zero star trades.