• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Chapter 2 to 5 Adjustments

Nightguest

Ex-Team Member
Chapters 2 to 5 will soon be adjusted (aim: speed them up), so let's hear what you all think about it!

The announcement can be found here.

*Ha, this time I've checked to make sure the link works!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Can you reduce the time to build a new Marble/planks/steel factory? The 40s is a huge turn-off when you are first introduced tot he game. 10s like the workshop would be much better.
At 40s, that's nearly a minute, and I'm switching to another app to see what else I can rot my brain with.
10s though? I'll watch that little building get built.

Gustoff

I'm a bit confused by the dating in this announcement ...

After the summer FSA (the one before the one that just ended that surprised everyone with higher coin requirements) a friend created a new account and city. This past week, 10/18 to be exact, they finally had enough KP to complete the Tournaments Skill and participate in the weekly tournament. It took more that 2 months (it seemed) to progress to mid-chapter IV. They were in a fellowship almost from the start, but were unable to contribute to one of the main activities of the group for a very long time. They were allowed to participate in the FSA as they were able to eek out a few spaces for some fresh T1s. Most of their contribution was coin and beverages.

They were not pleased that a game designed primarily for teamwork prevented them from contributing in a meaningful way for so long. Granted their expansion in provinces has been slow, so they only have 4-5 nodes for Tournament at the moment. They are still rather crippled for events needing to resort to selling enchantments for spell fragments to meet the quest requirements. Spire skill was added to chapter V which seems to be at least a month away.

Just so you are aware. Is this 10/19 change suppose to correct what was released two months ago?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Just so you are aware. Is this 10/19 change suppose to correct what was released two months ago?
The early chapter changes were released before 10/19, but whether you got the new tech tree was determined by a random roll. It seems after 10/19, everyone will be tracked to the new tech tree. The old announcement about early chapter changes was from May.

They were not pleased that a game designed primarily for teamwork prevented them from contributing in a meaningful way for so long. Granted their expansion in provinces has been slow, so they only have 4-5 nodes for Tournament at the moment. They are still rather crippled for events needing to resort to selling enchantments for spell fragments to meet the quest requirements. Spire skill was added to chapter V which seems to be at least a month away.
It's hard to say this game was "designed primarily for teamwork" when joining a fellowship is completely optional though. I have a new city that's 3 weeks old and got the old tech tree. I'm told the new tech tree actually costs a lot less for everything...KPs, coins, supplies, etc. I'd imagine if he's struggling on the new tech tree, then he'd have an even tougher time of it on the old tech tree. But I've not experienced the new tech tree myself so I have nothing to go by. I did upgrade my baby city's MA to chapter 5 already and realized that was probably unnecessary as I have no relics to craft any enchantments or an inventory to frag anything to have enough spell frags for recipes. It's a very expensive diamond pit. So I feel that MA pinch for sure.

Rp44

I am overall very pleased by the changes made to the tech tree and the storyline quests. Lowered requirements for research, faster upgrade times, much more explanation of the different parts of the game, and a wider variety of rewards from story quests are all wonderful improvements.

My newest city reached the tournament tech in chapter four in three weeks and has had six to eight open tents without overscouting. The city opened the Spire in six weeks. I did join a fellowship (who helped jumpstart me with a few goods so that I didn't have to wait for trades) as soon as possible and I played the city regularly throughout the day so those results probably aren't typical. The city has no problems with events or balancing tournament, first floor spire (so far) and research.

There are still a few drawbacks. Significantly faster upgrade times means you really have to watch coins/tools more at a point when you have few neighbors and none to very few cultural buildings that can be polished. My beta city had the new tech tree and I played it without a fellowship until I opened tournaments in chapter four, but I also played it very casually which made it easier to balance things and be patient. :) The newest one was much more active and wouldn't have been able to progress as fast without a fellowship, especially for all the extra people to give help to every day.

The placement of a crafting tech actually bothers me more than tournaments and spire. I started my city deliberately a couple of weeks before an event (during the manufacturing challenge to get Wonky Walters) so I would be able to open more provinces and do encounters without overscouting (no issues there) and hopefully be able to craft CCs and disenchant things for spell fragments before I got an event quest that asked for either of those things with no doable alternative. If someone starts a city in the middle of an event, CCs or spell frags will be show-stoppers since there's no other way to get them until you can craft.

To me, the most likely reason an active player might quit early on is waiting on trades to be picked up. Everything else has been sped up and goods requirements for techs have been lowered, but you still can't do the first chapter without trading and you can't join a fellowship until chapter two. If you get stuck on the edges of the map or in the middle of bigger cities who don't check the trader for regular goods anymore, you're just stuck. I guess there had to still be one element to teach the patience necessary to last long-term in this game. :)

crackie

Nightguest said:
All the changes applied to Chapters II to V will be released on all markets on the 19th of October.
This is hella confusing. The announcement makes it sound like everyone that starts a new city after Oct 19 will be tracked to the new tech tree, but it doesn’t appear so. Someone started a new city in another world and still got old tech tree. So is this announcement just telling us Tonga finally got the new tech tree option too?

Pheryll

Set Designer
This is hella confusing. The announcement makes it sound like everyone that starts a new city after Oct 19 will be tracked to the new tech tree, but it doesn’t appear so. Someone started a new city in another world and still got old tech tree. So is this announcement just telling us Tonga finally got the new tech tree option too?
Literally all it says is that chapters 2-5 will have adjustments made for at least some players, and the players that receive these changes will have received them by October 19th. I have presumed that this affects everyone with the new tech tree. Others have presumed it affects everyone. There is a possibility that this change to chapters 2-5 is being tested on only a sample of those experiencing the new tech tree, allowing the Elvenar staff to continue to collect data from people not affected. This is not typically how the Elvenar staff handle testing new features on live. The most likely scenario, from how I see it, is that everyone who has the new tech tree received the chapters 2-5 change, and those with the old tech tree did not. This does reflect previous statements made indicating those with the old tech tree are not going to have their techs changed as they test out the new tech tree.

crackie

There is a possibility that this change to chapters 2-5 is being tested on only a sample of those experiencing the new tech tree, allowing the Elvenar staff to continue to collect data from people not affected.
They have been testing it since May. So what changed in October? o_O Usually they use EN as the live mini test market. They get a lot of new features months earlier than US sometimes.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The May and the October things are two completely separate things. You can still get a new city with either the old or new tech tree. The October change was for all early chapter cities, regardless of tech tree.

Pheryll

Set Designer
The May and the October things are two completely separate things. You can still get a new city with either the old or new tech tree. The October change was for all early chapter cities, regardless of tech tree.

Sentences like the following lead me to suspect that at least some of the changes did not impact those with the old tech tree.

The Technology flow has also been changed and differs slightly between Elves and Humans: Some Technologies got moved, and others were added to unlock game features.

If players with the old tech tree suddenly had to unlock certain features that they had already been enjoying, I would think it would already cause a stir on the forums, and at least lead people to report that the old tech tree was no longer being offered.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I agree, Crackie. I started a new city last week and got the old tech tree.

I think this is just for brand new people, or at least it seems like it to me. Not people who just start another city in a new world.