• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Chapter 20, The Power of Music - Discussion

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
This quest is different, it requires that you reach 150%, so 150% or higher should count. It's not taking into account boosts from AWs or NH right now which is the issue and is also why we ask for a screenshot. While we can see everything from the backend, sometimes it's not in a linear fashion and if we are going to have a lot of these to look into, I do not want the supporters to have to do a lot of hunting and math when a screenshot is quick and easy,

Well, I have been sitting at 170% for a long time now, so I am sure I will be complaining too, once I reach that quest. lol

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Thanks @helya That does make perfect sense. Maybe mention “to help with resolution” or something like that.

Or have to teleport 50 pop/culture event buildings, then you wouldn't have to change your visit request to main hall only. And you might get there in a couple of days. lol

So, I have 1,558,665 culture with 1,366,673 required. Other than evolving stuff that doesn’t have high amounts of culture, I am very light on event buildings. My culture has primarily been premium culture offerings and AWs for a very long time. I’m not sure how much culture I would have to drop to go down to 150% but I’m not seeing that as possible. Sorry I lost track of how much of what gets to whatever % years ago. It just isn’t an issue anymore. Of course my stats are off of normal now that I stored a bunch of things for the new chapter.

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Question for folks who are further along on Beta. In quest list I am seeing requirement for 9 Makers and 15 Ensembles. In the layouts posted earlier in this thread there are 12 Makers and 18 Ensembles. Is the 9 and 15 the actual requirement? I understand that it is always nice to have extra guest race buildings but this question is more toward meeting the requirements first and then deciding how to move forward.

Yogi Dave

To upgrade the portal to level 4 you will need 6 of each ensembles, so, 18 in total. As for the number of makers, I don't think there is a requirement for number except for the quest of having 9. However, I have 18 makers. I haven't looked to see if it would be good to keep all of them or not. I need to spend part of the weekend checking out a requirements SS for those goods.

BethMo

In the Wiki entry for the Drum Maker it says "To be able to build the Drum Maker you must unlock its technology in the Research Tree and spend the resources for its construction, it needs to be connected directly or indirectly to a Basic Manufactory (Marble, Steel or Planks)." And similar wording for the violin and flute.

I haven't reached that technology yet, but my Archmage says that when he connected them indirectly, it gave the "missing connection" icon, so he had to rearrange to have them all connect directly.

Is this an error in the wiki? Or a bug? Or did he do something else wrong?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@BethMo it should work the same as the ships in chapter 17, not like the buildings in Amuni in chapter 13. I have not seen any complaints about this on the Beta forum, so your AM must be doing something not quite right. Plus, the description of the buildings in your Build menu should say the correct way to connect them.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Thank you @Yogi Dave :) Glad I saved a pic of my plan for that. Oh Well! Now that I have been able to upgrade some my plan is to take it easy for a while anyway. I'm not in any big hurry since it may be a very long time before the next chapter. It is just very nice to have my city getting a new look finally!

@BethMo The Makers do have to be connected directly to the factories. It does say that in the build for the Makers. The Ensembles can just be connected to each other.

Yogi Dave

I haven't reached that technology yet, but my Archmage says that when he connected them indirectly, it gave the "missing connection" icon, so he had to rearrange to have them all connect directly.

@BethMo The Makers do have to be connected directly to the factories. It does say that in the build for the Makers. The Ensembles can just be connected to each other
What @Deborah M and your AM says is correct. My initial design had only 1 connected to a manu, but that didn't work. An "indirect" connection doesn't work.

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
Any idea how to complete the Reach culture bonus of 150%? I have more than that. I tried upgrading a few culture items and I tried logging out & back in.
Personally, I like 800% better. My peak value is 910% but typically I am in the 840-900 range. Culture bonus comes from many and big culture buildings plus lots of Ensorcelled Endowments, reciprocated neighborly visits and strategic advancements of AWs. I reject the premise that pursuing a high culture bonus is bad play. But the focus should be that neighborly visits drive culture bonus, rather than too many culture buildings. The best buildings to add to your city remain high population event buildings with generous culture values. These reduce the number of Residences needed which reduce culture requirements. Their high culture values increase the value of neighborly visits which drive up culture bonus which reduces the workshops needed which opens up more space and further reduces the residences required. Also needing fewer residences ends up generating MORE coins as the culture bonus is big enough that coins are rarely a problem.

Early on, the solution to your problem is BIG culture buildings and many neighborly visits - they will be reciprocated and the big buildings with big culture values will keep you above 150% virtually all the time. I would also encourage your fellowship to perk Advanced Help at least once so that 24 hours becomes 28 or more hours so you have a bit of an overlap between the length of time that neighborly help boosts your culture and the time you have to visit your neighbors

Yogi Dave

I've built the violin ensemble building and it gives 40% production bonus to making music bars as stated. Since I have over 100 portal fills using PPs, this doesn't really help me. Whether it is connected to the portal or not, the portal still shows it has 1 melody from it.

Question: Can I still upgrade the portal without any of the ensembles connected to the it? I think the answer is 'yes' but I'm wondering if anyone has verified this. If it works, it gives a great deal more flexibility to city design.

EDIT: The ensemble needs to be directly or indirectly connected to the portal during construction.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

Personally, I like 800% better. My peak value is 910% but typically I am in the 840-900 range. Culture bonus comes from many and big culture buildings plus lots of Ensorcelled Endowments, reciprocated neighborly visits and strategic advancements of AWs. I reject the premise that pursuing a high culture bonus is bad play.
You can only get 170% culture bonus without having a spell active on a buffed building. Each buffed building gives another 5% culture bonus. To reach 800% requires 630% in buffs which represents 126 active buffs. That's an amazing achievement to maintain.

I work the opposite in this. 80% of my required culture is provided by the sanctuary and watchtower ruins. I only run 3 magic workshops and usually 10 magic houses. At the moment only 7 houses are in the city due to working chapter 20. The rest of my pop comes from pop/cult buildings. My workshops are always spelled, but only rarely do I spell my culture buildings. I probably should do some for a while due to chapter 20 requirements of coins. I'm so used to not spelling them that I forget about them. Between chapters I was spending coins for kp and hammers for goods every day, so there was no need for more culture.

It's nice that the game allows for such a wide variety of play styles. We may represent opposite ends of culture views.

Yogi Dave

Question: Can I still upgrade the portal without any of the ensembles connected to the it? I think the answer is 'yes' but I'm wondering if anyone has verified this. If it works, it gives a great deal more flexibility to city design.
Answer: In answer to my own question, yes. That works. You also can create songs. So, if strictly using PPs to use bars, the ensembles do not need to be connected to the portal except during construction. Yay! Let's hear it for PPs! :D :D:D ...and the spire for giving them to me.

BethMo

@BethMo it should work the same as the ships in chapter 17, not like the buildings in Amuni in chapter 13. I have not seen any complaints about this on the Beta forum, so your AM must be doing something not quite right. Plus, the description of the buildings in your Build menu should say the correct way to connect them.

I got the violin tech, and built my first two. If they are connected directly to the silk factory, they work. If I move one so it connects indirectly, through the other violin, it shows as disconnected. So, apparently the wiki is wrong.

Ihrlaen

I got the violin tech, and built my first two. If they are connected directly to the silk factory, they work. If I move one so it connects indirectly, through the other violin, it shows as disconnected. So, apparently the wiki is wrong.
The tooltip and wiki entry for the Violin Maker say it must be directly connected to a refined good manufactory while the Violin Ensemble must be directly or indirectly connected to the Harmony Grove.

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
You can only get 170% culture bonus without having a spell active on a buffed building. Each buffed building gives another 5% culture bonus. To reach 800% requires 630% in buffs which represents 126 active buffs. That's an amazing achievement to maintain.
Actually you can get 12% per buffed building with a level 31 Lighthouse. So to get past 900 is 62 buffed buildings 170% + 62 * 12%. Not easy but if you get 50 or more provinces every week in the tourney plus have excellent neighborly visits and AWs maximizing your spell lengths, it can be maintained indefinitely typically above 800 in my case. I find, at this point that a number of the culture buildings are 2x2 as having 60+ buildings available for neighborly visits takes a lot of space. Most serve other purposes (CCs, population, manna, seeds, orcs, etc.) but still, a few small purely cultural buildings are needed as are 10-20 spells a week from time instants. I admit it is not easy, but it is doable without any diamond purchases at a high enough level.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

Actually you can get 12% per buffed building with a level 31 Lighthouse.
Thank you very much for correcting me. I'm always glad to learn something new in the game. Since I've never worried much about culture, those AWs have not been a priority of mine. In fact, I don't think I have any of them in my city. BTW, I was also wrong. I have 5 magic houses in my city, not 7.