• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Chapter 4 or Chapter 5?

Lolilloli

Wanted to get some feedback from peeps who have more than 1 city. If you wanted to keep a city small, would you stop after chapter 4 or chapter 5? I wanted to stop before it gets into settlements. Thoughts?

Dew Spinner

Wanted to get some feedback from peeps who have more than 1 city. If you wanted to keep a city small, would you stop after chapter 4 or chapter 5? I wanted to stop before it gets into settlements. Thoughts?
Settlements start at chapter 6. So 5 would be as fas as you could go.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I have a teammate with a mystical tiny little Chap 3 city with 9 plots pulling 3.5k in tourney each week and climbing the whole Spire. She has no factories or residences and is living off Pilgrim's set, Pandas, and genies. It's been a very interesting and impressive experiment to watch. At some point, she's going to run out of provinces and hit the Orc wall, which means she prob can't do events anymore.

Lolilloli

@ Brin, I’m already sitting at the end of chapter 4.
@ Crackie, I was kinda worried about how it would affect event play.

Gladiola

My city is small, but I am continuing to progress through the chapters. Currently I have 31 expansions (just bought one in the expansion sale) and am in the first quarter of chapter 6. I am able to do the events just fine but I might have difficulty contributing as much to the FA as I would like. I might put away some of my dwarven settlement buildings and substitute workshops and marble factories.

My approach is different from those who are only looking for Spire and tournament points. Although I do max out the Spire every week and obtain 2500-3000 tournament points, my city has all the features of a full city -- barracks, magic academy, t1, t2, and t3 factories. I have 3 magic residences that I've won in the Spire.

My tournament score could be higher. It's limited by the number of provinces of each type I have opened, which is limited by my chapter and the number of encounters required by event quests. Currently I have 9-12 provinces open of each type. I have made a strategic choice not to complete province encounters unless they satisfy an event quest. (That way I always have cheap scouts and province encounters available for events.)

I can provide some layouts for micro cities if folks are interested, although even my micro cities tend to have a production focus. My layout for a chapter 2 planks/silk city would work fine for a chapter 3 city since t3 resources would not be required. I believe that city is 3x3.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Honestly I think the best place to park a city is the very beginning of chapter 16. Right now I have 3 cities at this stage.

Because of finally getting all troops to 3 stars by the end of chapter 15. But the question is: did you stop with the final research of chapter 15 or do the first one for chapter 16? You have a pro and a con, depending on your choice. Pro is all future event buildings will have chapter 16 stats if you did the first research. Con is all your FA and event requirements will be at chapter 16 amounts.

Emily198097

I came out of the gate swinging in ALL of my cities and didn't realize until I joined beta that progressing too fast is a curse. So, I have slowed WAY down. I am nearing the end of ch5 in ALL my cities but I won't do any more research UNTIL the NEXT individual event calls for them. AFTER the next individual event I will probably take one of my cities to chapter 6 to get a feel for things.
I had NO IDEA that I should have been maxing my buildings out before the end of each chapter. I have a LOT of work to do...

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Because of finally getting all troops to 3 stars by the end of chapter 15. But the question is: did you stop with the final research of chapter 15 or do the first one for chapter 16? You have a pro and a con, depending on your choice. Pro is all future event buildings will have chapter 16 stats if you did the first research. Con is all your FA and event requirements will be at chapter 16 amounts.
I opened chapter 16. As you say it means all future buildings I win will be chapter 16. But it also means that I can go ahead and upgrade every existing evolving building in my city.

Lolilloli

Thanks so much for the input everyone. I also have a city at completed first research of 16. That one takes up a lot of my time. The small beta city is a lot less complicated and I wanted to try to keep it that way. At the same time, i want to still be able to play everything (events, tourney, spire, crafting). Right now I’m able to get 2000 in tourney every week and have been reaching top of spire last several weeks. So far, so good.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
If you want to be able to continue completing map provinces then at some point you will need orcs (after around 220 provinces if I remember correctly). So by then you will need to at least research the armories in chapter 8.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
If you want to be able to continue completing map provinces then at some point you will need orcs (after around 220 provinces if I remember correctly). So by then you will need to at least research the armories in chapter 8.
You only need orcs if you are going to cater the provinces. If you can fight and win, then you can keep going without orcs.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
It would require a ridiculous amount of buffing to fight the 10th ring with chap 3 or 5 units though. At chap 3, the 6th ring is prob all already very hard.

Dew Spinner

It would require a ridiculous amount of buffing to fight the 10th ring with chap 3 or 5 units though. At chap 3, the 6th ring is prob all already very hard.
I could very possibly be wrong but the only reason I can come up with for this kind of play style is as an alt city. Either as a pure alt city or a alt city for pushing. Like you said there is no way a play style like this is sustainable once you hit the orc wall and/or other goods for negotiating get higher than a city like that can produce.

BrinDarby

Another bigger difference between CH4 & Ch5 , is what goods for catering
the Spire might ask for. @ Ch4 it only wants c/t + t1/t2 ... in CH5 it then also
adds t3... further on it may ask for other things.... just something to consider
if you cater alot in Spire.

Gladiola

I found that wanting more things was useful in some ways because it spread out the goods that I was using. So not as much strain on my t1 resources.