• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City movement

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Or possibly because no one's around to complain if you start fires, eh? Purely for corn-popping purposes, of course!
I didn't start any fires. I dutifully worked on my arts and crafts assignment and just wanted to play with free rope! You are confusing the bright, angelic glow of my halo with the aftermath of Buddy's pyro-tendencies. Second on the arson list is that @muffy.

Socrates28

The general rules about who is moved is furthest out is moved in first, provided there is a space with matching boosts. That's often what slows it down the most. If 8 spots with a specific set of boosts open up but 120 players with those boosts are eligible, well 122 players are left behind to be disappointed.
I do understand that boosts must be matched, but that is only after some other criteria(s) have been met. I am asking what those criteria(s) are? Number of trades taken, given, or ratio of them to each other in some form, visits to neighbors (non-FS) as well as FS members, or what? While exact criteria would really be enlightening, I am not expecting that to be disclosed, but general guidelines and how they relate to each other would be helpful.

Lady Dastardly

I do understand that boosts must be matched, but that is only after some other criteria(s) have been met. I am asking what those criteria(s) are? Number of trades taken, given, or ratio of them to each other in some form, visits to neighbors (non-FS) as well as FS members, or what?
I seriously doubt that there IS any other criteria beyond being "active" (which I believe is defined as logging in to the game within a certain period of time) and distance from the center.

Kadhrin

Couple of things I've noticed from my corner of the map.

* Yes, new-ish cities do get started out here or moved out here. One of them got started even further out than I am. Fortunately for him, he got moved after a few weeks. And there is a newborn city (as in it's got one residence, one workshop, etc) that replaced a mine due east of me.

* It isn't just the trader that's the difficulty with frontier cities. It's scouting, too. The closest 30 provinces for scouting are on the sides that are inactive players and mines. The difference in cost of scouting in the desert vs active areas is 600 k, and five hours scouting time.

* My other two cities, a full chapter behind my frontier city, get a lot of neighbor visits. The frontier city gets the fellowship and usually the regulars. I get nine pages of notifications there; the other cities get 15-17 pages.

Yes, there are folks in worse map positions. It still gets discouraging.

Socrates28

I seriously doubt that there IS any other criteria beyond being "active" (which I believe is defined as logging in to the game within a certain period of time) and distance from the center.
I believe that is not correct as trading certainly seems to be a criteria to be met in the "move" process. I could be wrong, which is why I asked for clarification of just what those "rules" are.

Zoof

If trading is part of the criteria for moving, I'm now wondering what parts of it is considered. "Active" trade in terms of completed transactions (either accept existing or posting and having had accepted) would be rather self-defeating if that's the requirement since it's rather hard to get takers when half (or more) of your trading partners are mysterious and mysteriously chatty dark tentacle monsters camping in gold mines.

If the criteria is simply having your own trade requests languish in the trader for all of eternity while said tentacle monsters are sniffing at them curiously like a dog at a fire hydrant, then... maybe?

Or maybe what those monsters are doing to your fire hydrant-shaped pile of steel after sniffing it is what's turning off potential buyers. We might never know. Word of advice: Don't pet them, no matter how many puppy-eyes they bring to the table

Lemon Wren

All I know is that after getting moved many months ago to a much better spot than I had before, this neighborhood is increasingly getting filled with gold mines. At first I discovered them to the south when I scouted south, but now they are moving up and replacing provinces that once held cities. I'm in a great FS, so my trades never linger, but it does make me wonder what's going on in the meta.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I think @Lady Dastardly is correct, unless something has changed very recently. The 'Great Migration' move in Nov 2021 was to handle a glitch in the system where the cities were not being moved that should have been. That uncovered a serious issue with players who had the 'do not move' checked for their city (they were left in the weeds when the players around them moved). So, they removed that choice from players. Now, everything technical seems to work on the weekly Monday moves.
Nothing was ever said about changing how the auto move system looks for 'active' vs 'inactive' cities. In the past we were told (and it was on the Support site under FAQ's):
To determine a city is inactive: it looks first at last player log in, then the size of the city (ex: Ch3, Ch6, Ch19), then if it belongs to an account that has purchased diamonds that remain in the inventory. While they have tweaked these requirements some, cities remain that are protected from deletion. Since we all know of such cities that are not doing any trading/visiting etc, it's hard to see how they would remain protected if trading was included in the definition of 'active'.
Once/week, the system checks open spots on the map. For a specific set of boosts available the system looks for an active city in the farthest rings from city center with those boosts, then moves it to the open spot. I've never been sure if the system starts with open spots closest to the center or in some other fashion.
Still, nothing has ever been said about tracking anything a player does while in-game to define 'active'. One of those 'protected' cities would still qualify as 'active'. Trading, neighborly visits, none of those things (AFAIK) are taken into account.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@helya But wouldn't it be better if they based in on number of donated cookies? Chocolate chip gets an extra point. Then, if you wanted to be moved you could just get some Famous Amos and be moved. If you didn't you'd send some dried out oatmeal raisin. It sure beats having or not having the check box telling them NOT to move your city. Maybe I should put this in the suggestions box.

AJ

Kadhrin

I will send a case of Matt's Chocolate Chip cookies.
(This is from their web site, and yes, they really do look like this.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.47.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.47.28 PM.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 44

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
@helya But wouldn't it be better if they based in on number of donated cookies? Chocolate chip gets an extra point. Then, if you wanted to be moved you could just get some Famous Amos and be moved. If you didn't you'd send some dried out oatmeal raisin. It sure beats having or not having the check box telling them NOT to move your city. Maybe I should put this in the suggestions box.

AJ
Only if the cookie donations come directly to me. And raisins in cookies get you moved into the abyss.

Kadhrin

I got moved! Yay!
<insert item="cookies" type="chocolate chip" brand="Matt's"> :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: </insert>
(Sorry, that's close as I could get to sending the case of cookies.)

@helya - just wanted to say thank you. My city was moved this last week and visitation and trades have really picked up. For those of you that were saying to look on the bright side - as far as I could see there was not one. I ran all of my neighbors names to the south of my city through elvenstats and out of 70 + names - there were about 5 that were not being shown as inactive. Same results were obtained to the east of my city. Out of the 140+ neighbors that I had - there were less than 20 that returned visits or were active in the trader. It did kind of remind me of when I started this game - very few visitors or trading partners and I can also see why so many leave this game as a result of that. You just can not progress without good help. So once again - Thank you @helya !!