• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City movement

StarLoad

Only a tiny fraction of the hexes on the map have the same layout and can be moved to without that changing.
Wait, that makes no sense since we are dealing with a Hexagon, then the pattern is the same for each diagonal from top-left to bottom-right, and every third spot a city repeats the same goods. This means that the number of potential points to move (to or from) is the same for EVERY pattern of city goods. And from top-right to bottom-left, you have eight spots in between the pattern of the repeating good for each city

Ed

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
Q Only a tiny fraction of the hexes on the map have the same layout and can be moved to without that changing.
If 1/9th is a small fraction, then OK; as there's a 9 city block that tesselates the map.

Area, and thereby the number of interior cities, varies with the square of the radius, so the multiple small groups approach is a terrible idea.

My preferance, which is pretty much what InnoGames is already doing, is to gradually swap active:inactive cities toward the center:edge of the map.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Wait, that makes no sense since we are dealing with a Hexagon, then the pattern is the same for each diagonal from top-left to bottom-right, and every third spot a city repeats the same goods. This means that the number of potential points to move (to or from) is the same for EVERY pattern of city goods. And from top-right to bottom-left, you have eight spots in between the pattern of the repeating good for each city

Ed
If 1/9th is a small fraction, then OK; as there's a 9 city block that tesselates the map.

Area, and thereby the number of interior cities, varies with the square of the radius, so the multiple small groups approach is a terrible idea.

My preferance, which is pretty much what InnoGames is already doing, is to gradually swap active:inactive cities toward the center:edge of the map.
Yes. 11.1...% is a tiny fraction (1/9), both as fractions go generally, and especially because in the context of my comment being about dynamic player movement, it's unlikely that in any week, let along every week, 11% of players go inactive for seven consecutive days, which means there's not enough spots opening up for everyone who is active to move to a better spot.

StarLoad

Since every city is 1/9th its not tiny its equal and there are a lot of those 1/9ths around every city. So from my city there are 10 others in my row that are the same 1/9th and 15 more 1/9ths in the rows above and below me so 25 possible 1/9ths and 2 of the spaces are diamond mines, and on the edge of the map. So even with dynamic movement, I am still out close to the edge, but far enough inland to not be negatively affected.

However, I am affected by the number of inactive cities around me, but oh well its not like I can change that.

To say 11% is a "tiny" fraction of a group of equal sections is not proper as in that context each one is "tiny" and you are making it seem as the one tiny is less that the other parts that are equal to it. As such the perception is incorrect, since all the cities are tiny in relation to the overall map.

Ed

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
They could at least make visiting the 'gold mines' a bit more effective for the people who are negatively impacted. Add supplies or goods to the visit. Al least that would mitigate INNO's inability to effectively address the issue. Goods would be a fine option because those are potential trading partners that city has lost when it goes gold.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Since every city is 1/9th its not tiny its equal and there are a lot of those 1/9ths around every city. So from my city there are 10 others in my row that are the same 1/9th and 15 more 1/9ths in the rows above and below me so 25 possible 1/9ths and 2 of the spaces are diamond mines, and on the edge of the map. So even with dynamic movement, I am still out close to the edge, but far enough inland to not be negatively affected.

However, I am affected by the number of inactive cities around me, but oh well its not like I can change that.

To say 11% is a "tiny" fraction of a group of equal sections is not proper as in that context each one is "tiny" and you are making it seem as the one tiny is less that the other parts that are equal to it. As such the perception is incorrect, since all the cities are tiny in relation to the overall map.

Ed

Dynamic Movement means every city is moving every week.

There are three resource hexes for every hex a city could possibly occupy (City-Hex)

Of all the City Hexes, a given city can only move to 1/9 of those hexes. Approximately 98% of the hexes on the map are not available to any given city.

If a city could move to any "City-Hex" then to enable dynamic movement, the maximum number of new hexes you need to add to the grid if no-one is inactive that week is equal to the number of players times four. With the existing restrictions, the maximum is the number of players times four times nine.

For purposes of dynamic movement, the map-resource design is a disaster and it's not practical. Unless by "dynamic" you mean completely random, and instead of rewarding people who log in, you simply randomly assign them all a new hex which might be better or might be worse, with no action the player can take to ensure their position isn't worsened in such a sway as to create complaints of unfairness.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Dynamic Movement means every city is moving every week.

No way do we want that trash. You were not around when Inno finally fixed the bugs in the auto-move function and took away the "don't move me" option, so that most everyone could get shifted to better locations. Inno got a lot of hate over all the stable neighborhoods that were destroyed by that. People who were neighbors for years were suddenly nowhere near each other.

Genefer

A couple of the posts mention a 7-day inactive duration, but I do not understand the significance. Is there an idea that any player inactive for 7 days is removed from the "active" map?

Genefer

Unless by "dynamic" you mean completely random, and instead of rewarding people who log in, you simply randomly assign them all a new hex which might be better or might be worse, with no action the player can take to ensure their position isn't worsened in such a sway as to create complaints of unfairness.

Isn't this exactly what we have currently?

StarLoad

Isn't this exactly what we have currently?
No we have a system that force moves players to new"better" locations and inactive ones out, most often on Monday's
A couple of the posts mention a 7-day inactive duration
No, the stated standard is 30 days for most new cities of inactivity. It was brought up that everyone should move if no activity over a 7-day period.

Ed

Genefer

I really don't understand what is so difficult -

Using a globe, the size of the active map would be the simplest method of removing desolate land from the map. New accounts that increase the size of the map - ummm increase the size of the globe?

As for trading partners - from the Elvenar Wiki

"In addition, all bordering cities of that Province will also become "discovered". As a result, trading with those neighbors becomes cheaper and you will be able to start giving them Neighborly Help."

Interestingly, the expansion & Rune are defined as

"By completing Provinces you can also get additional rewards: Province Expansions and/or Rune Shards."

The implication by both position of the Wiki and the language is neighborly help & trading partners are the primary purpose of the Map and the Expansion & Rune are rewards for the effort of completing the provinces.

The purpose, which you pay for with troops and/or resources, for completing provinces is to acquire neighbors for Neighborly Help & Trading Partners.

I point this out for those that insist the map is for expansions not neighbors - clearly that is not the accurate perspective, which makes sense considering expansions can be acquired through research, unlike neighbors, which can only be acquired by completing provinces on the map. Also, Runes can be acquired through Tournaments and Ancient Wonder chests won by helping other players, unlike neighbors, which can only be acquired through the map.

No doubt some are thinking - trading partners & neighborly help is also obtained through Fellowships; the difference is Fellowships are an option not essential to game progression - it is advantageous but not required.

Genefer

ok, thank you ed1960 for clarifying the 7 days ...

However,

No we have a system that force moves players to new"better" locations and inactive ones out, most often on Monday's

No, the stated standard is 30 days for most new cities of inactivity.

Considering the number of inactive players - many ranging from months to years - on my explored map, as well as the minimum 7 months an increasing portion of my explored map being off the active map and having not been moved to a "better" location, this information is inaccurate. In fact, this thread provides multiple examples of players with the same experience as mine disproves the information.

StarLoad

ok, thank you ed1960 for clarifying the 7 days ...

However,

Considering the number of inactive players - many ranging from months to years - on my explored map, as well as the minimum 7 months an increasing portion of my explored map being off the active map and having not been moved to a "better" location, this information is inaccurate. In fact, this thread provides multiple examples of players with the same experience as mine disproves the information.
That is an understatement and the only response is that the system automatically moves players and not intervention is possible. As you can see by my city location I should have been moved years ago, as I am active ... but alas I look over the edge.

Ed

defiantoneks

i dont even care what the excuses are anymore. they KNOW there are lots of us stranded in dead areas and that we've been here too long. as in, months on end. FIX IT.

i mean, really… why try to force a "center" at all? randomize the gaps. surely the number of dead boosts is proportional to live people playing the others so you can scatter them evenly.

Last edited: