• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Combat 101

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I have seen a number of people lament their lack of combat skill, rather then post in threads and take them off-topic I thought I would create a new thread. For those with more interest in combat refer to the combat section of my guide. This brief tutorial is targeted for the very beginners when it comes to combat.

There is lots of information about combat that can be overwhelming so lets come back to basics:

Every province follows the same formula for unit type, they just vary the "ingredients". All you need to learn to begin is which of your troops is the key unit for which province. Every province has a key unit type that is designed to be the main troop for your attack. Simply:

Take 5 key units into battle and auto-fight

It is a very simply and very basic formula. You will not win every fight but you will be surprised how many you do win. Any that you lose cater/negotiate. This will get you started and you can learn more as you progress and become more familiar with various aspects.

If province battles are too hard then focus on the tournaments. The first round you have the advantage in squad size, round 2 is equal and from round 3 on the difficulty increases. The above formula is less effective the harder the fights but still works more times then many people realise.

What is a key unit?
Key_Unit_Summary.jpg

As you become more skilled you may choose to replace a key unit above with a similar type from one of the other military buildings. For example replace Sword Dancer or Axe Barbarian with Cerberus.

Last edited:

DeletedUser6188

What if you're brand new, still only have the two original types you can train? I haven't been able to win any battles and I'm only 4 provinces away from my city. I can only train archers and axe barbarians.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
What if you're brand new, still only have the two original types you can train? I haven't been able to win any battles and I'm only 4 provinces away from my city. I can only train archers and axe barbarians.

The first two eras can be very tricky as it is extremely easy to step out of what is referred to as the "Goldilocks Zone". This is a zone where the fights can be won because your technology and your exploration are in alignment. Sadly there is nothing in game to warn you about this or where it is. A key thing to learn is that the Advanced scout tech reduces the difficulty of fights (and negotiation costs) but only for provinces you have not already scouted.

You should need 6 ring 4 provinces and all of rings 1-3 to access era 3. While you can fight you may find negotiating those provinces to access era 3 the way to go. With the early era it is kind of backwards in exploration where you do the bare minimum to enter the era and later in the era start expanding rapidly because your technologies have improved.

If you do fight you may find the Cerberus from the training ground a useful addition. While it is still only light melee the extra speed from it will assist with certain fights. In my signature is a link to a more in-depth combat guide which looks province by province. I have tried to cater for the first 2 eras but it is in written form before below the graphic for each section.

Last edited:

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
I would add when starting a battle to bring in an archer, start the battle to check the terrain and position of the enemy then surrender, the little white flag on the left by the bottom bar, you don't lose any men when surrendering other than troops that have been lost in the battle. This is good also if your men are not where you want them. Another thing I found useful early on, is when you have everything how you want, go into the battle and then click the auto fight (button above the white flag), and then you can watch the computer fight for you and hopefully learn a little bit about how to fight by watching how the computer controls the men.
Great post by the way Mykan, you are always watching out for the new players. Well done.

Last edited:

DeletedUser6252

As you become more skilled you may choose to replace a key unit above with a similar type from one of the other military buildings. For example replace Sword Dancer or Axe Barbarian with Cerberus.

I just got the Cerberus training in the second level. How do I switch out the Sword Dancer or in my case Archer for the Cerberus? Can it be done in the second level? If it is, do I need to have a certain tech researched before I can do it?

Sir Squirrel

Hey @GenaAngel , you have to have the training grounds building built to train the Cerberus and you don't switch them out exactly. What he means is you take them into battle instead of another troop. To do this, when you have some trained in the training grounds building and you are going into a battle, at the top of the troop selection page there is a tab for the training ground troops, click it and you can put the Cerberus into a battle. He just means you can use them in place of another troop on the battlefield!

Last edited:

DeletedUser7906

All this strategy is fine but how do you make them fight , with the mouse , spacebar what? how do you aim or swing the axe or shoot arrows?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Once you are close enough, if you click on an enemy, the active troop will attack. If you aren't close enough, but are able to move close enough, then the AI will pick a spot to move to, then attck, so move manually, first, by clicking the hex you want to be in, then after moving, click the enemy within range.

edit: click carefully, as if you are slightly off center, it might pick a hex that is not what you wanted.

Clicking in the troop's existing hex will pass the turn to the next initiative.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I would add when starting a battle to bring in an archer, start the battle to check the terrain and position of the enemy then surrender, the little white flag on the left by the bottom bar, you don't lose any men when surrendering other than troops that have been lost in the battle.
Is this still accurate or have they changed it in the past year? Unless I don't know what I'm looking at (entirely possible), I tried this and it looked like I lost all my troops and I was not able to go back into the encounter and negotiate it. Didn't get any rewards for the encounter, but it has a check mark now as completed. I'm in era 3 and have not developed military beyond the treants. I am revisiting my idea to stick with manufacturing in lieu of military. Figured this tourney (crystal-my tier 2 boost) would be a good way to test the waters. Also, I expected under auto-fight to be able to watch what the AI does with the troops, but I go straight to the Victory/Defeat screen. The good news is that with putting one archer and 4 treants when there were mage units and 5 treants when there were no mages allowed me to win all but one of the auto fights in the first level of the first 5 provinces. I negotiated 2 encounters and lost one fight by accidentally hitting fight instead of auto-fight. So out of 18 attempts, I won 16. So, this formula works (even if I still don't understand how...).

Sir Squirrel

Congrats samidodamage, yes this is still good info. If you want to see the troops battle, you setup the troops and hit fight, (not auto fight) and once you get into the battle hit the finish fight button on the left side of bottom bar (the sword icon), below that is the white flag button for surrendering, and the green > arrow button will speed up the battle (do this first) hit it twice until there are three >>>, then do the sword button and you will be able to see how the troops move. The idea of bringing in only one archer then fight, is to check the terrain and setup of the enemy troops then surrendering with the white flag, to help in picking and placing your troops before you actually fight the battle.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
One of the experienced combat fighters on beta was tracking the AI and had some evidence to indicate that watching fights on auto-fight was more effective then auto-fight. No one could explain why this would occur but it was an interesting concept.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Thanks Sir Squirrel and Mykan. Following the instructions, I was able to watch the fights on auto fight. After following the instructions for setting up my squads, I fought one manually and won! I'm up to level 4 in the 6 tournament provinces. I don't think I've ever unlocked 6 provinces in a tournament before this. I'm getting close to the last branch of the tree in era 3, and I had to negotiate some this past round that were obviously not winnable, probably because of my neglected military... off to find some info on the most effective way to catch up...

DeletedUser9162

I have not been fighting much at all, instead I have been building up my troops. For instance, I have about 200 squads of archers, but each squad only represents 16. I don't quite understand the procedure for filling in my troop slots. Can I put more than 1 squad in a slot? There are only 5 slots, and I am grossly outnumbered. Help!

Mykan

Oh Wise One
You can only field 1 squad for each slot, a maximum of 5 slots. If you are in the first 3 chapters the game is unbalanced and you will be outnumbered there. Just have patience and negotiate until the end of chapter 3, somewhere around there if you keeping close to the provinces to unlock each era then combat becomes possible again.

If you are past chapter 3 and grossly outnumbered you may have scouted beyond where your tech tree can keep up with your scouting.

The Unbeliever

What are the chances that we'll soon'ish get a Lv4 option for our troops in new guest races/chapters?

I help out my dad with his fighting, as it's just not his thing, and in his most advanced city, O&G's, especially in the even the early rounds of the tournaments, our current Lv3 troops seem to be feeling a little worn out/UP vs. enemy Lv3 units.

I know we still need Lv2 for at least half or more of the Training Grounds/Merc Camp units, (and by extension Lv3 for all of 'em still!), but I'm hoping that our main barracks troops will soon get a face lift of their own as well?

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
What are the chances that we'll soon'ish get a Lv4 option for our troops in new guest races/chapters?

I help out my dad with his fighting, as it's just not his thing, and in his most advanced city, O&G's, especially in the even the early rounds of the tournaments, our current Lv3 troops seem to be feeling a little worn out/UP vs. enemy Lv3 units.

I know we still need Lv2 for at least half or more of the Training Grounds/Merc Camp units, (and by extension Lv3 for all of 'em still!), but I'm hoping that our main barracks troops will soon get a face lift of their own as well?

not for the comming chapters, if they would ever go past there 3 star rating it would need the game to go beyond the now planned 9 guest races.
The battle redevelopment was designed with these 9 guest races in mind.

If they bring the game past this point, or stop developing instead is only known by innogames, the elvenar team at least shows no signs of any further development in the game files. for a few chapters now all designs are all based on those 9 guest races.

DeletedUser16525

I can only play on my mobile devices and so I'm very limited in many ways. For fighting, it's automatic. I have a good idea on what troops I should use four each type but I feel like I'm following a wrong order though cuz while I usually win, I still lose lots of troops. Is there a guide for mobile fighting?